Why?

• 11 Replies
?

m

Why?
« on: February 16, 2007, 02:14:47 PM »
After thoroughly perusing the FAQ, I believe I understand the reasoning behind your group's beliefs fairly well.  I have one question that did not appear to be answered in your documentation:

Q: "Why do the all the world Governments say the Earth is round?"

A: It's a conspiracy

Why?

What do the world's governments - or any of the people on Earth, for that matter - stand to gain from misleading the population into falsly believing our planet to be spherical?

It's no small task to keep a secret like that under wraps - the payoff would certainly need to be worthwhile.

?

Tom Bishop

Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 02:26:40 PM »
Keeping people poor and uneducated about the universe has its advantages.

?

m

Why?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 02:33:14 PM »
Care to elaborate?
Please provide a specific scenario in which somebody benefits by proporting the earth to be round when it is actually flat.

I inquire not out of assault on your beliefs, but genuine curiosity.

?

Tom Bishop

Why?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 02:39:29 PM »
It's not necessary to purport the roundness of the earth if the poor and uneducated have already created the idea of a Round Earth for themselves.

NASA Administrators simply take advantage of the situation, charging the public 16.8 billion dollars a year in exchange for some computer generated pictures and a few astronaut interviews.

?

m

Why?
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 02:44:19 PM »
Your response does not actually answer my question.  I'm certainly not inquiring as to *why* people believe the earth to be round.

Allow me to try once more, very straightforward.  My question is as follows:

Can you define one specific scenario in which someone benefits by knowing that the earth is flat, and convincing everyone else that it is round?

?

Tom Bishop

Why?
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 02:46:32 PM »
Can you define one specific scenario in which someone benefits by knowing that the earth is flat, and convincing everyone else that it is round?

NASA Administrators simply take advantage of the situation, charging the public 16.8 billion dollars a year in exchange for some computer generated pictures and a few astronaut interviews.

?

m

Why?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 02:50:16 PM »
You amended your reply as I was posting.

Do you have any other, perhaps more convincing examples? NASA is becoming a financial failure - it seems that if they were the masterminds behind this, it would be working out better for them. Further, what do other countries get out of it? NASA isn't exactly donating outside of its borders.

I hesitate to believe that your entire view is based on minor cash flow. I know billions of dollars sounds like a lot of money, but it really isn't, as far as the global economy goes. There must be a far superior reason that this belief is perpetuated. right? The maintenance on skewing the public's views in this way would be incredibly fragile and expensive.

Please tell me there's something more to it.

Why?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 02:56:46 PM »
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"

wow tommy boy. you really should stop positing stupid responses like these. They make you look like even more of an idiot!

you were asked for a specific answer. to
define one specific scenario in which someone benefits by knowing that the earth is flat, and convincing everyone else that it is round?
and you couldn't do that.

PLEASE,for the love of god,give one straight-froward answer for once!
his space means nothing.

?

m

Why?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 04:34:46 PM »
I'm going to bump this in hopes of receiving a serious response.
I am genuinely interested and feel that I have engaged this on very polite terms, all things considered.

A clear reply to the question would truly be appreciated.

Why?
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 04:46:18 PM »
I don't understand it either, he says NASA gains from it- but people believed the earth was round way before NASA.

Wasn't it Galileo who figured the Earth was round? I doubt he had anything to gain- in fact he was persecuted.

Why?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 04:54:18 PM »
It's not necessary to purport the roundness of the earth if the poor and uneducated have already created the idea of a Round Earth for themselves.

And they stand to benefit how? So what, they get 16.8 billion dollars, wowzers thats a shitload of money, man thats so much its gonna bankrupt the US an keep the poor people down. OH WAIT ITS NOT... gfg.

What do you do for a living Tom? Seriously, you probably own a computer shop in a small town and sit in your basement all day crying about how you are poor.

?

ssh

Why?
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 05:13:46 PM »

That may be true, but why it make any different if the world was flat. NASA could still take their pictures, and there astronauts could still give interviews.