Why I believe that the Earth is round

• 9 Replies
« on: February 16, 2007, 01:46:07 PM »
Hello, FLS. I saw your page on digg and decided to take a look, and to be honest I thought the idea of a Flat Earth Society was laughable, and so I created an account to share with you my two cents.

First, the main reason I believe that the Earth is round is because of gravity.
Everywhere you go on earth, (varying at certain levels of elevation), there is an equal amount of gravity.
This is much more in-tune with the spherical Earth theory, because there is always an equal distance from the surface of a sphere.

Secondly, besides the facts about the Earth specifically, what about the universe? (Which I'm sure you know the Earth is not the center of).
What are your theories on how the Earth rotates and revolves, and how other celestial bodies do so?

Thirdly, many of you F.E. 'believers' have very little respect for other writers on this website.
I read a post on how you "weep" for our ignorance, and yes: that offends me.
Do not weep for me, because I consist of no less ignorance than you or anyone else (and I'll have you know I'm much less arrogant). It is quite rude of you to even notion that you are better than I or any RE believer, so dont tout yourself as such.

Please, share your thoughts.

Alex

[/b]

?

Temaki

• Flat as his arguments.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 02:15:15 PM »
Hello, Round Earther. Unfortunately for you, all of your points are for naught here. Read the FAQ, etc. etc. Sometimes the Flat Earthers ignore threads with points they can't or won't answer, so I'll do it for you:

There's no such thing as gravity. It's acceleration.

We're not sure about the rest of the planets in our universe, they might be round, but Earth certainly isn't. It's different because it sustains life, and therefore is cylindrical. Also, the rest of the universe revolves around us, because the Sun isn't as big as the conspiritors say it is, and even if it were, gravity wouldn't cause US to orbit around it.

I think it's funny when you stupid, ignorant RE'ers call us ignorant when you can't even back up your own theories.

It's all a conspiracy, blah blah, Tom Bishop sucks cocks.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
Disregard that, I suck cocks.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
Re: Why I believe that the Earth is round
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 02:15:39 PM »
Quote from: "Alegoo92"
Hello, FLS. I saw your page on digg and decided to take a look, and to be honest I thought the idea of a Flat Earth Society was laughable, and so I created an account to share with you my two cents.
Wonderful, but we're the FES, for future reference (I wouldn't correct you on a typo, but I'm not sure that it was, seeing as the 'L' is rather far away from the 'E').

First, the main reason I believe that the Earth is round is because of gravity.
Everywhere you go on earth, (varying at certain levels of elevation), there is an equal amount of gravity.
This is much more in-tune with the spherical Earth theory, because there is always an equal distance from the surface of a sphere.

Well, then. How do you explain the mechanics of gravity? The "graviton?" Some subatomic particle that magically pulls things together, and yet we still haven't found it? Or is it via some other magical force? Or mass just wants to make friends, perhaps?

Secondly, besides the facts about the Earth specifically, what about the universe? (Which I'm sure you know the Earth is not the center of).
What are your theories on how the Earth rotates and revolves, and how other celestial bodies do so?

We don't know about the Earth. Some say it tilts (dealing with tides and what not) ever so slightly every once in a while, some say it rotates (though no where near as fast as the round Earth model does). We can't really say because nobody's been above the atmosphere high enough to look and see it for sure. All we can do is speculate, really. As for other celestial bodies, they're probably round and probably rotate the same as on the round Earth model.

Thirdly, many of you F.E. 'believers' have very little respect for other writers on this website.
I read a post on how you "weep" for our ignorance, and yes: that offends me.
Do not weep for me, because I consist of no less ignorance than you or anyone else (and I'll have you know I'm much less arrogant). It is quite rude of you to even notion that you are better than I or any RE believer, so dont tout yourself as such.

I haven't heard an FEer say anything like that unless the person was obviously begging for it (through sheer display of unyielding idiocy--believe me, there are plenty of people who deserve such comments)...

But it was Raa, though, wasn't it?

~D-Draw

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 02:42:08 PM »
Ok, on the topic here on gravity.

It is NOT acceleration. On a plane, which moves at high speed, once the force of inertia goes form rest to movement, to movement to rest, you can walk around, no problem. You aren't flung to the back of the plane once you stand up.

Also, gravity is the force of attraction between two objects. This applies to ALL objects. If you hang a wrecking ball parallel to a building, the ball will be at a slight angle closer to the wall. If you then use the wrecking ball to destroy the building, once the ball stops moving, it will be perpendicular to the ground and parallel to the ruins, if a wall still stands.

Also, if other celestial bodies are round as you say, why not earth?
Plato: People are inherently bad.
Aristotle: People are inherently good.
Me: People are inherently stupid.

?

roundearth1337

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
Fist off i dont think yoiu guys are for real, but incase you are here is my explanation of how gravity works: according to Albert Einstein and modern day physicists;

Large pices of mass, like the earth warp the fabric of space, picture a pice of cloth, like felt, strech it tight but have it floating in the air, now but a bowling ball in the center, what happens to the felt, it warps right. so imagine you roll a tennis ball across the felt, unless you roll it fast enough it will spin around and eventually hit the bowling ball. but if you where to somehow maintian the perfect speed of that ball it would, like our moon, stay in a constant orbit because of the warped fabric.

incase you want a pic, here it is, im sure you can also wikipedia gravity.

http://www.exo.net/~pauld/activities/astronomy/gravitywell.html

oh and one more thing, how do you explain the horizon, it curves you can see it on a clear day at the beach if the earth was flat you could just look on a lot further.

just my .02

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 04:11:18 PM »
I was banned temporarily for asking about acceleration and simply stating that it is not logical to assume we are traveling upwards. becuase like ... If the world is flat, shouldnt the universe end or something? I mean ... It seems logical that we would hit something or the view of space would change or SOMETIHNG!
=================
The earth is round ... Period.
http://www.teenprogrammer.net

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 04:15:12 PM »
The earth is round.

Because you can fly around it..

http://terrorizethis.org

?

dcboy

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 05:13:09 PM »
OWNED..

I guarantee no "flat earther" or whatever they call themselves, have no explanation for that. They will simply not answer this post.

lol, i've flown around the world once. I didn't get hit by an ice wall either! :shock:

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 05:14:54 PM »
Quote from: "harold132"
The earth is round.

Because you can fly around it..

Circumavigation is perfectly possibly on a FE.

?

dcboy

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 05:16:46 PM »
yes because when I flew around the world..right after i went west of California....i spawned back at asia...yea..

Thats what happened and it's the truth i SWEAR!!!!!!!!!!