Since the Flat Earth does not rotate

• 24 Replies
« on: February 13, 2007, 06:28:59 PM »
That would mean there would be no such thing as weather... Jet streams, gone. Hurricanes, non existant.. all of weather would be gone, and yes I know for a fact that it would be gone

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 06:40:49 PM »
The rotation can be directly observed with a Foucault Pendulum.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:02:12 PM »
Where do you keep getting this idea that it doesn't rotate?

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:46:25 PM »
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"

You admit that it's a sphere, then.
It's quite remarkable really that both Israel and Palestine have no qualms about slaughtering the crap out of each other - but they are perfectly willing to work together jovially and hide a secret that wouldn't make much difference to the world. -rdethgy

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 09:09:32 PM »
Quote from: "Big N"

You admit that it's a sphere, then.

Why?

~D-Draw

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 09:14:22 PM »

This question has been asked in three topics now, and I'll make it four.

Why does Foucault's Pendulum swing in opposite directions north and south of the equator?

Round Earth has a very reasonable theory for that: from a perspective with the South Pole at the top, the Earth is spinning clockwise.  From a perspective with the North Pole at the top, the Earth is spinning counter-clockwise.   Therefore, the North and South pendulums would spin in different directions because from the perspective of the pendulums, the Earth is spinning in different directions.

However, in the Flat Earth model, the Earth is spinning in only one direction (counterclockwise).  Why does the directionality of the rotation of the pendulum change?

And if it doesn't, why hasn't this been observed?  Surely the many thousand scientists in the southern hemisphere wouldn't just say, "Hey!  This is rotating clockwise instead of counter!  Let's ignore that fact and never post it anywhere!"

Or are they all in on the conspiracy?

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 09:32:42 PM »
Why does the directionality of the rotation of the pendulum change?

It doesn't.

And if it doesn't, why hasn't this been observed?  Surely the many thousand scientists in the southern hemisphere wouldn't just say, "Hey!  This is rotating clockwise instead of counter!  Let's ignore that fact and never post it anywhere!"

Most professional scientists don't care enough to notice. It is a children's museum exhibit, after all.

Pyrochimp

• Senator Awesome
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 09:36:32 PM »
Why does the directionality of the rotation of the pendulum change?

It doesn't.

Most professional scientists don't care enough to notice. It is a children's museum exhibit, after all.

So then we can assume you've personally been to the Southern hemisphere and seen a Foucault pendulum swing clockwise?
Some people are ****ing stupid! ~ George Carlin

Mathematical proof of the flat Earth:
[{(Diameter of Earth)*(tan[distance from Earth to sun/distance from North pole to equator])}2]/0

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 09:37:36 PM »
Quote from: "Pyrochimp"

So then we can assume you've personally been to the Southern hemisphere and seen a Foucault pendulum swing clockwise?

I wouldn't have the patience.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 09:38:38 PM »

Why else would I bring it up?

Pyrochimp

• Senator Awesome
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 09:43:07 PM »

Why else would I bring it up?

Then you have?  Where would this Foucault pendulum be located, that swings the "wrong" direction in the Southern hemisphere?

[{(Diameter of Earth)*(tan[distance from Earth to sun/distance from North pole to equator])}2]/0

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 09:54:41 PM »
Then you have?  Where would this Foucault pendulum be located, that swings the "wrong" direction in the Southern hemisphere?

The best way to see a Foucault Pendulum swing the "wrong" way would be to travel to the Southern Hemidisk and build an unpowered version one for yourself in a room with high ceilings.

The myth of the Foucault Pendulum swinging the opposite direction does have some truth to it, however. These days modern Focault Pendulums are powered devices that incorporate electronics and electromagnets to prevent air friction and entropy from slowing it down. Over the years the device has turned into a viewer's spectacle without any real relevance to the movement of the earth. Manufactures of Foucault Pendulums now sell versions with a switch that spins the pendulum in the opposite direction for Southern Hemidisk buyers.

Pyrochimp

• Senator Awesome
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 09:56:39 PM »

The best way to see a Foucault Pendulum swing the "wrong" way would be to travel to the Southern Hemidisk and build an unpowered version one for yourself in a room with high ceilings.

I'll put that on my to-do list :).

?

il0vepez

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 10:09:11 PM »
The astrophysics department at UNSW has one.  The path of the pendulum is traced out on sand.  I seen it.  The Earth is round.

Oh, but I guess someone could simply be rotating the sand bed under the pendulum... or maybe someone just comes by with a rake... someone in the conspiracy...

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 10:10:42 PM »
The astrophysics department at UNSW has one.  The path of the pendulum is traced out on sand.  I seen it.  The Earth is round.

Sigh.

?

il0vepez

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 10:12:54 PM »

Sigh.

Another insightful post from Tom Bishop.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 10:14:30 PM »
Quote from: "il0vepez"

Oh, but I guess someone could simply be rotating the sand bed under the pendulum... or maybe someone just comes by with a rake... someone in the conspiracy...

What does the path look like in the sand?

?

il0vepez

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 10:15:29 PM »
Quote from: "EvilToothpaste"
Quote from: "il0vepez"

What does the path look like in the sand?

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/PHYSICS_!/FOUCAULT_PENDULUM/foucault_pendulum.html

Look for yourself.  There is no sand.  I was thinking of the wire.  Sorry!  It's been a LONG time since I've been down under.

If you can't figure out the copy paste, just google pendulum site:unsw.edu.au

Also, there is the best description I've read on this page about the whole sink draining directional myth.

Rotating
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 10:21:52 PM »
This can rotate without being spherical

?

il0vepez

Re: Rotating
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 10:27:20 PM »
Quote from: "jeffreygreenham"
This can rotate without being spherical

Yes, but it can't rotate in opposite directions or not at all at different locations without being a sphere.

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 10:52:27 PM »
Quote from: "Rick_James"

well since the sun and the moon rotate around the earth, why would there be a need for the earth to rotate?

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 12:43:33 AM »
Quote from: "The Government"
Quote from: "Rick_James"

well since the sun and the moon rotate around the earth, why would there be a need for the earth to rotate?

What makes you think rotation is dictated by need?

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 06:32:15 PM »

Apparently they do

A Foucault pendulum swings counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere and clockwise in the northern hemisphere.
It's quite remarkable really that both Israel and Palestine have no qualms about slaughtering the crap out of each other - but they are perfectly willing to work together jovially and hide a secret that wouldn't make much difference to the world. -rdethgy

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 06:34:02 PM »

Sigh.

where is your conspercie now that they have allowed civilian fights to space?

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 06:44:30 PM »
Quote from: "ice wall gard 469320"

Sigh.

where is your conspercie now that they have allowed civilian fights to space?

Does space fight back?
Quote from: BOGWarrior89

I'm giving you five points for that one