Skeptical Christian

• 16 Replies
?

Nomad

• Official Member
Skeptical Christian
« on: February 05, 2007, 04:05:33 PM »
This is an interesting website.  SkepticalChristian.com.

The review of The God Delusion is pretty funny.  Pretty much since Dawkins can't explain how the universe started, and how life started on our planet, then God must be the cause.

Meh.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Skeptical Christian
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 03:58:37 AM »
If he cannot explain how life began, he must be right;

if he cannot explain why governments tell lies about the Earth being flat, he must be wrong.

Hence, "why would x do y" is not a valid argument.

beast

Skeptical Christian
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 04:52:33 AM »
Interesting, I actually read that review just the other day.

I am curious to know how Christians explain the existence of God.  Was he created?  What is his purpose in creating the world?  Was he just some lonely little God, who had no friends, so had to create his own?  

Of course many Christians will respond that God has always existed.  However I am yet to see any evidence presented in favour of this argument.  In fact the bible starts off with "In the beginning..." - clearly this is not a statement that suggests God has always existed at all.  There is no reason to believe that God has always existed, therefore Christians face the same inability to explain the start of the universe that Atheists have.  We both are in the position where we can only speculate.  Of course science's speculations have more evidence behind them than religions.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
Skeptical Christian
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:17:34 AM »
I hate to play DA in this case, but I don't think the "In the Beginning" statement in Genesis denotes anything more than the beginning of the universe that we all know.  I don't think that includes "God's" little...  Whatever you want to call it outside our universe.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

beast

Skeptical Christian
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 05:24:26 PM »
I'm sorry but you can't just make things up and claim that they are true.  Where is your evidence that God existed before the Universe?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
Skeptical Christian
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 06:39:08 PM »
There isn't any evidence.  I'm just saying that's what most interpret that as; "in the beginning" meaning the creation of our universe.  I have no idea how the hell they propose that god just existed out of nothing.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Skeptical Christian
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 07:15:41 AM »
Quote from: "master beast"
Where is your evidence that God existed before the Universe?

:roll:
Quote from: "David in Psalm 90 v. 2"
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

An example of God's love

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: Skeptical Christian
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 08:31:01 PM »
Quote from: "thedigitalnomad"
The review of The God Delusion is pretty funny.

I quite like the claim,

It is impossible for an eternally existing entity to suddenly create something unique.

from Kalam's Cosmological Argument.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Skeptical Christian
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 08:36:38 PM »
Quote from: "beast"
Interesting, I actually read that review just the other day.

I am curious to know how Christians explain the existence of God.  Was he created?  What is his purpose in creating the world?  Was he just some lonely little God, who had no friends, so had to create his own?  

Of course many Christians will respond that God has always existed.  However I am yet to see any evidence presented in favour of this argument.  In fact the bible starts off with "In the beginning..." - clearly this is not a statement that suggests God has always existed at all.  There is no reason to believe that God has always existed, therefore Christians face the same inability to explain the start of the universe that Atheists have.  We both are in the position where we can only speculate.  Of course science's speculations have more evidence behind them than religions.

right and space has always existed and just randomly an explosion happened(which isnt possible by the way) and formed 9 planets and a sun

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
Skeptical Christian
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 09:22:56 PM »
Quote from: "The Government"
right and space has always existed and just randomly an explosion happened(which isnt possible by the way) and formed 9 planets and a sun

1)  We don't know whether or not space existed before the Horrendous Space Kablooie (Big Bang), but the general consensus is that time didn't exist before it.

2)  No, "explosions" that are based on oxygen aren't possible in the vacuum of space, but your ignorance just made its grand appearance;  the Big Bang began with all the matter in the universe concentrated on one point (a singularity), much like a black hole (it probably was a super-massive black hole, considering it had ALL THE MATTER IN THE UNIVERSE).  From this, the universe was born when all of this matter was ejected (we don't know how, we're working on that) and the universe expanded rapidly (this is what was meant by "explosion", you space movie critic) as the matter condensed into what we see today.

3)  The Big Bang model is based on the fact that everything is accelerating away from each other (Doppler shift), and therefore, away from a central point.

Skeptical Christian
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 09:27:57 PM »
1) We don't know whether or not space existed before the Horrendous Space Kablooie (Big Bang), but the general consensus is that time didn't exist before it.

I'm studying the philosophy of space and time currently for Philosophy of the Sciences, so if I learn anything important about this I'll let the rest of you know.  I would suggest, to any intelligent and mathematically-able person on here, the book we have to read called A Treatise on Time and Space by J.R. Lucas.
ooyakasha!

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
Skeptical Christian
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 07:27:12 AM »

Actually, it wasn't random, and it created trillions of stars and planets.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Skeptical Christian
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 11:32:02 PM »

Right it happened just like that.  That's not at all a distortion of what cosmologists claim.

Similarly, monkeys regularly give birth to human beings; this is the theory of evolution in a nutshell.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
Skeptical Christian
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 12:18:40 AM »
It's really echoey in this thread ...

beast

Skeptical Christian
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 12:36:25 AM »

When you consider the evidence of the only other theory with any following put forward, that the world is only 6000 years old, despite all the evidence of the contrary, even if what you were saying was true, it's still a better theory than the creationist theory - which is so full of holes that it would sink in the dead sea.

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
Skeptical Christian
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 01:21:53 PM »
Seriously, what would happen if I yodelled?  Would I get to hear seven times as many returns as I did inputs?

Why can't the Stock Market work like this?

?

Abantertard5

Skeptical Christian
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 01:53:56 PM »