one for the rounders v2

• 60 Replies

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:53:26 AM »
MIDGARD'S GRAND AND MOST EXCELLENT EXPERIMENT INVOLVING "GRAVITY", ANGLES AND THE SHAPE OF THE EARTH.

OBJECTIVE:
To fairly and completely objectively prove once and for all that the earth is flat and not some stupid, magical "round" world.

THE EXPERIMENT:
As you can see in the below "photo"(1) of the round earth if the earth is in fact round and a magical force called "gravity" pulls everything towards the centre of the earth then the magical force can be tested.

All you have to do is level some giant protractors with each other and hang a bit of fishing line with a weight on the end to the centre of the protractors. If the earth is round then gravity should pull the fishing line towards the centre of the earth instead of the bottom of the protractor (as shown in diagram 1 where the red line represents the fishing line). As the earth is flat the fishing line will cross the bottom of the protractor (as shown in diagram 2).

Diagram 1:

Diagram 2:

NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.

With this in mind I went to MacGiant's and bought 2 protractors, both with radius of 2 metres. I also bought a laser, some cigarettes, a fishing line and weights and a friend (though he insisted on me calling him an assistant).

We set up one protractor at the Dun Laoghaire peer, we used the fishing line to determine where we should put the bottom of the protractor. Then we attached the laser and positioned it in a way that the laser was pointing at Howth Head. I then travelled to the tip of Howth Head (9km away, see Diagram 3), located the laser beam and set up the protractor so that it was aligned with the laser beam(2) coming from the other protractor. After the protractor was aligned with the one on Dun Laoghaire peer I attached the fishing line and weight to the centre of the protractor. The line crossed over the bottom of the protractor(3) instead of being angled more towards the Dun Laoghaire peer.

Diagram 3:

RESULTS: Given the circumference of the earth, the size of the protractors and the distance between the protractors the fishing line on the Howth Head protractor should have crossed the circumference 2-3mm from the absolute bottom (towards the Dun Laoghaire peer). Given that the fishing line crossed the circumference at the absolute bottom(3) it is evident that the magical force known as "gravity" doesn't exist and that the earth is flat.

(1)It should also be clear from the photo provided of a round earth that all photos of a round earth are in fact faked.

(2)Using smoke from the cigarettes to see precisely where the laser beam was going.

(3)This is taking into account adjustments made because of a slight, imperceptable(4) breeze that was heading towards the Dun Laoghaire peer.

(4)The breeze was completely impossible to feel but it was obviously there as the fishing line was angling towards Dun Laoghaire peer.

EDIT: Changed asterixes to numbers.

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:37:10 AM »
Don't any round earthers want to try and explain this?!

?

Shanato

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:55:23 AM »
This is stupid, you clearly underestimate the sheer size of the earth.

using a test on this small of a scale you clearly think you were standing at such a distance that earth is flat, and comparativly it is in that respect.

The size of the earth means that if you ever got to the point of distance away from each other that you shape of the earth (round) could take action would be the point in which you could not point the laser at each other.

I would tell you to try and point a laser from china to england but you'd probably tell me something about how you couldnt be sure you were pointing in the right direction.

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 09:03:29 AM »
Quote from: "Shanato"
This is stupid, you clearly underestimate the sheer size of the earth.

using a test on this small of a scale you clearly think you were standing at such a distance that earth is flat, and comparativly it is in that respect.

The size of the earth means that if you ever got to the point of distance away from each other that you shape of the earth (round) could take action would be the point in which you could not point the laser at each other.

I would tell you to try and point a laser from china to england but you'd probably tell me something about how you couldnt be sure you were pointing in the right direction.

If the earth's circumference is 40041.47km then there should have been a deviation of approximately 2.82307317888179mm shown on the protractor (remembering that they have a radius of 2 meters and are 9km apart).

Before you just go and disregard the maths involved perhaps you should work it out first, dumbass.

If you want to test the results yourself feel free to. It's a relatively simple and cheap experiment to do.

?

Shanato

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 09:10:48 AM »
So you're saying you COULD point a laser from china to england?

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 09:12:57 AM »
LOL, I think I'm more interested in seeing how many FE'ers go with this.

--Ticky
ave fun, you have been warned.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
one for the rounders v2
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 09:14:22 AM »
Post Scripts FTW.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Re: one for the rounders v2
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 09:15:27 AM »
Quote from: "midgard"
*The breeze was completely impossible to feel but it was obviously there as the fishing line was angling towards Dun Laoghaire peer.

I see what you did there

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 09:17:02 AM »
Quote from: "Shanato"
So you're saying you COULD point a laser from china to england?

No, I'm saying if you look at the distances involved there should have been a different result.

midgard

Re: one for the rounders v2
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 09:18:21 AM »
Quote from: "Ambassadork"
*The breeze was completely impossible to feel but it was obviously there as the fishing line was angling towards Dun Laoghaire peer.

I see what you did there

All I did was make adjustments for the breeze. That's what you're getting at right?

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
How heavy were the weights? Did you adjust for this same "breeze" (that you couldn't feel, yet was capable of affecting the weight) at Howth Head?

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 09:30:39 AM »
How heavy were the weights? Did you adjust for this same "breeze" (that you couldn't feel, yet was capable of affecting the weight) at Howth Head?

The wieghts were 50 grams each. The breeze was only adjusted at Howth Head, there was no evidence of a breeze at Dun Laoghaire.

I hope you're not suggesting I tampered with the results. As I said at the start of the experiment the objective was to prove the flatness of the earth and disprove a magical notion of "gravity" and roundness in a fair and impartial manner.

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 09:37:12 AM »
Oops, I meant Dun Laoghaire in my previous post.

No, I'm not suggesting you tampered with the results. I actually highly doubt you did this at all to be completely honest with you.

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 09:39:03 AM »
Oops, I meant Dun Laoghaire in my previous post.

No, I'm not suggesting you tampered with the results. I actually highly doubt you did this at all to be completely honest with you.

So now you insult my integrity!!!

meh.

You could always do the experiment yourself if you don't trust the results...

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 10:00:47 AM »
So should I conduct the experiment as you did, on the assumption that Earth is flat?

It seems to me that the initial results fit the Round Earth model. You assume a Flat Earth, so you "adjust" for a non-existent "breeze" that must have accounted for this.

Not very scientific, IMO

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 10:04:14 AM »
So should I conduct the experiment as you did, on the assumption that Earth is flat?

It seems to me that the initial results fit the Round Earth model. You assume a Flat Earth, so you "adjust" for a non-existent "breeze" that must have accounted for this.

Not very scientific, IMO

What do you mean non-existent???

If you don't believe me, conduct the experiment yourself.

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 10:15:18 AM »
And if the line is offset towards point A, do I have to assume there is some non-existent breeze affecting the weight as well? Or can I assume that the surface of Earth is in fact curved?

Before you made your adjustment how far offset was the line towards Dun Laoghaire? The 2-3mm one would expect if Earth were round? More? Less?

On a semi-related note: How much of a breeze would be required to offset a 50g weight that far? I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to believe that one would feel such a breeze.

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 10:20:55 AM »
And if the line is offset towards point A, do I have to assume there is some non-existent breeze affecting the weight as well? Or can I assume that the surface of Earth is in fact curved?

Obviously you'd have to adjust it.

Before you made your adjustment how far offset was the line towards Dun Laoghaire? The 2-3mm one would expect if Earth were round? More? Less?

It was about 2.5mm.

On a semi-related note: How much of a breeze would be required to offset a 50g weight that far? I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to believe that one would feel such a breeze.

Obviously you're not an expert. To offset a 50g weight by 2-3mm you don't need to be able to feel the wind - my impartial experiment proves this.

If you want to see how impartial I am look at my sig, it clearly shows that I don't believe in a flat, rectangular earth.

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 10:31:08 AM »
Obviously you'd have to adjust it.

Why would I have to adjust it? Well, when/if I do my experiment I'll be sure to take an anemometer with me to rule this "phantom breeze" out. Or how about you conduct your experiment again, this time with an anemometer. Oh, are anemometers created by The Conspiracy as well?  ;)
It was about 2.5mm.

Which would indicate a Round Earth.
Obviously you're not an expert. To offset a 50g weight by 2-3mm you don't need to be able to feel the wind - my impartial experiment proves this.

If you want to see how impartial I am look at my sig, it clearly shows that I don't believe in a flat, rectangular earth.

LOL. I know what you're up to. I'm not arguing with you, just tearing apart your "evidence".
And Who TF said anything about a rectangle?  :?

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 10:36:50 AM »
Why would I have to adjust it? Well, when/if I do my experiment I'll be sure to take an anemometer with me to rule this "phantom breeze" out. Oh, are anemometers created by The Conspiracy as well? Or how about you conduct your experiment again, this time with an anemometer. ;)

I'd appreciate it if you did. I unfortunately do not know what an anemometer is let alone own one so I was unable to use one to demonstrate the breeze.

Or the breeze.

LOL. I know what you're up to. I'm not arguing with you, just tearing apart your "evidence".

I'm glad you're not arguing with me - it's about time you realised the earth is flat.

May I be the first to congratulate you on becoming a flat earther.

And Who TF said anything about a rectangle.  :?

Loads of people, they suggest you can't get from japan to america (or vice versa). They believe that the earth is not a flat and rectangular and that the earth is round. As I happen to agree with them that the earth is not flat and rectangular this leads on to me being also being a fair and impartial judge about the shape of the earth.

Leading on from this what I say goes. This has been demonstrated before.

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »
I have seen no verifiable evidence to lead me to believe that Earth is either shape. Sorry. Your "experiment" proves nothing.

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 11:05:47 AM »
I have seen no verifiable evidence to lead me to believe that Earth is either shape. Sorry. Your "experiment" proves nothing.

It obviously does, if you believe it doesn't conduct it yourself.

I have to go now, goodbye.

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
One more question regarding your experiment... when you get the chance.

How many mW was your laser?

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
one for the rounders v2
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 10:29:14 PM »
Quote from: "Adedposter00"
http://Jennifer-Lopez-Doing-A-Huge-Black-Man.info

Midgard, I hate to tell you this, but this guy just proved you wrong.

?

il0vepez

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 10:39:07 PM »
Well, for starters, you didn't actually show any error analysis, and you only performed the experiment once.  I'd say this experiment is entirely pointless, for showing the Earth is round, or flat.

The error is certainly greater than the expected measurements, as you pointed out yourself.

Also, you didn't show any pictures.  I'd really like to see a 12 foot protractor.

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
one for the rounders v2
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 11:30:22 PM »
Quote from: "il0vepez"
Well, for starters, you didn't actually show any error analysis, and you only performed the experiment once.  I'd say this experiment is entirely pointless, for showing the Earth is round, or flat.

The error is certainly greater than the expected measurements, as you pointed out yourself.

Also, you didn't show any pictures.  I'd really like to see a 12 foot protractor.
A 2 way radio (80mhz-1ghz) on the highest landpoint on the assumed flat Earth would in theory (given appropriate weather conditions and a massive gain/reception) would be able to transcieve directly to any point on earth without atmosphere bouncing. This in practice doesn't happen as radio wave's behavior tells us differently, it bounces around the earth to achive distance, and cannot transcieve (adhoc 1-1 and not via relay) to the supposed sphereical Earth's opposing points, thus radio blindness (because there is a spherical planet in the way) proves it to be almost spherical.

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 11:59:02 PM »

Or the breeze.

:lol:
hen one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called conspiracy.

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 03:09:35 AM »
Quote from: "Dead Kangaroo"

A 2 way radio (80mhz-1ghz) on the highest landpoint on the assumed flat Earth would in theory (given appropriate weather conditions and a massive gain/reception) would be able to transcieve directly to any point on earth without atmosphere bouncing. This in practice doesn't happen as radio wave's behavior tells us differently, it bounces around the earth to achive distance, and cannot transcieve (adhoc 1-1 and not via relay) to the supposed sphereical Earth's opposing points, thus radio blindness (because there is a spherical planet in the way) proves it to be almost spherical.

Which has no relevance to this thread.

Go to "General Discussion" and click "New Topic", this is how you create new topics - congratulations.

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 03:17:44 AM »

I have performed the experiment many times, I only wrote up the last one I've done.

What error?

Here is the friend (aka assistant) I paid standing in front of the protractor.

midgard

one for the rounders v2
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 03:20:29 AM »
One more question regarding your experiment... when you get the chance.

How many mW was your laser?

I have looked on the laser and it doesn't say.