ChatGPT Proves Curvature

• 36 Replies
Re: ChatGPT Proves Curvature
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2023, 10:34:48 PM »
And no definition of the horizon allows a flat Earth to obstruct the view to the bottom of distant objects.
Ok, I stand corrected you did say something about obstrucing views... I just now saw and remember the comment that I quoted above.   It doesn't make sense that you think the definition doesn't work only for a flat plane model -- What definition of the horizon allows a ball earth to obstruct the view to the bottom of distant objects? The phenomenon is due to perspective, and can be attributed to either flat or curved horizons.  The bottom of tall buildings beyond the line where the earth and sky appear to meet (per the Oxford definition I gave earlier) can be blocked due to perspective.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 12:03:46 AM by AdamQuantum »

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2023, 10:57:33 PM »
That's good. My sincere apologies for any offense.

I agreed that you query could have been phrased better to avoid the confusion that has come out of it.
Thank you for the apologies, no offense taken. Thanks also for the clarification, it makes sense and I agree that my query could have been phrased better.  As you can easily gather, I am very new to this forum.  I would like to see this unfortunate thread fade away soon.  Hopefully everyone can get their last word in, and we can all put this one behind us.
Alright. Let me know if you want it locked.

Hi Username, I just now saw your post.  Yes, please lock this thread when you can (as I'm sure you know, I am new to this forum).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 12:13:32 AM by AdamQuantum »

JackBlack

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2023, 01:45:00 AM »
What are you talking about?  I was showing that it does matter which definition of horizon is used, by using the most commonly used definition to refute your previous arguments.
But it doesn't.
A FE wouldn't have a horizon. It would have a clearly defined line where the sky and ground appear to meet.
Instead it would be a blur.
A FE would be like a foggy day, where there is no clear horizon.

In order to answer, you first need to learn and understand what a "vanishing point" is.
The vanishing point is infinitely far away and has nothing to do with the horizon.
Many FEers spread extreme misinformation by pretending that the vanishing point is magically only a finite distance away, but that is just to try and pretend that it can cause the horizon.
At a high enough altitude, observation and extrapolation of parallel lines clearly demonstrates that the vanishing point is not the cause of the horizon.

Ok, I stand corrected you did say something about obstrucing views... I just now saw and remember the comment that I quoted above.   It doesn't make sense that you think the definition doesn't work only for a flat plane model
The horizon is the edge.
For a RE, that is everywhere.
For a FE, that is the very edge of Earth, or mountains.

What definition of the horizon allows a ball earth to obstruct the view to the bottom of distant objects? The phenomenon is due to perspective, and can be attributed to either flat or curved horizons.  The bottom of tall buildings beyond the line where the earth and sky appear to meet (per the Oxford definition I gave earlier) can be blocked due to perspective.
No, perspective has nothing to do with objects being obscured from the bottom up. That is another example of disinformation promoted by FEers.
Perspective, by which FEers really mean limits of resolution, makes small portions of objects not resolvable. But there is no preference for the bottom of objects.
A small portion at the top of an object would face the same limit (and on a FE it would be further away for most viewers and thus would suffer more, but not by a significant amount).
But there are plenty of examples where the bottom of an object is obscured, even though it is larger than resolvable features.

Perspective CANNOT make Earth appear to block the view.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2023, 07:26:03 AM »

And no definition of the horizon allows a flat Earth to obstruct the view to the bottom of distant objects.
It always strikes me how little you know what you are talking about. That would be the local horizon mate.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

JackBlack

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2023, 01:00:14 PM »
It always strikes me how little you know what you are talking about. That would be the local horizon mate.
You mean a local horizon based upon a round Earth (including the option of your "flat" Earth)?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2023, 05:37:13 PM »
You mean a local horizon based upon a round Earth (including the option of your "flat" Earth)?
A local horizon blocks the bottoms of objects on either a round or flat earth.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2023, 05:37:48 PM »
That's good. My sincere apologies for any offense.

I agreed that you query could have been phrased better to avoid the confusion that has come out of it.
Thank you for the apologies, no offense taken. Thanks also for the clarification, it makes sense and I agree that my query could have been phrased better.  As you can easily gather, I am very new to this forum.  I would like to see this unfortunate thread fade away soon.  Hopefully everyone can get their last word in, and we can all put this one behind us.
Alright. Let me know if you want it locked.

Hi Username, I just now saw your post.  Yes, please lock this thread when you can (as I'm sure you know, I am new to this forum).
Roger Wilco.