Why has nobody tried actually proving Flat Earth?

• 36 Replies
?

Dr. Round

• i be doctor. i like cheese
Why has nobody tried actually proving Flat Earth?
« on: February 21, 2023, 03:58:01 PM »

The easiest way to reliably prove that the earth is flat would be sending up a weather balloon with a GoPro strapped to it.
You people have the numbers. You could set up a GoFundMe and get the money within a month, set it up in a weekend and livestream the balloon going up to Youtube.

But NO. The most evidence I've seen here is some sketchy math,reasoning, and some even more sketchy diagrams. So I'm going to do the hard work and set up a really sketchy CER ( Claim, Evidence, Reasoning, for those who don't know). It's like a mini scientific method.

Claim: The earth is flat

Evidence: The Flat Earth Society launches a weather balloon that rises to 35,000 feet with a GoPro strapped to it. The video shows that indeed, the earth is flat and the evidence is posted to Youtube to see for yourself.

Reasoning: Since the Flat Earth Society has public video evidence that the Earth is flat, The FE society puts it all together and we have a proven claim with 1 hard piece of evidence ( and many more sketchy ones that forum users have tried to add).

Therefore, according to the reliable evidence, the earth is flat.

*( I put the sketchy evidence as reliable because at this point, looking outside , seeing the ground is flat, and proclaiming that the earth is flat counts as evidence)

** THIS CER IS ENTIRELY FICTIONAL UNLESS PROVEN ( NOT TESTED, JUST EXAMPLE)
𝔇𝔯. ℜ𝔬𝔲𝔫𝔡   

𝔭𝔯𝔢𝔰𝔦𝔡𝔢𝔫𝔱 𝔬𝔣 𝔖𝔱𝔲𝔣𝔣𝔐𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔅𝔢𝔘𝔰𝔢𝔣𝔲𝔩 𝔦𝔫𝔠

Re: Why has nobody tried actually proving Flat Earth?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 06:24:56 AM »
if we did that the global world order would tamper with the evidence flooding the camera with false images of the "globe" instead of the truth

?

Kami

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 10:12:54 AM »
Dr. Round, you may be interested to watch 'Behind the curve' on Netflix. This might answer your question in a more satisfactory way than I could.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 11:42:17 AM »
if we did that the global world order would tamper with the evidence flooding the camera with false images of the "globe" instead of the truth

Neat and well thought through concept. How would the global world order tap into a GoPro?

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 12:36:32 PM »

How would the world order know about it, and what technology would the world order use to change the video recording inside your gopro camera?

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 01:28:57 PM »

Just start live streaming high up so they cant hack it in time or let it off from one of the planes used for sky diving they go very high up and if you let it go from there and they you can see the curvature of the planet with your own eyes!

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 01:17:44 AM »

The easiest way to reliably prove that the earth is flat would be sending up a weather balloon with a GoPro strapped to it.
You people have the numbers. You could set up a GoFundMe and get the money within a month, set it up in a weekend and livestream the balloon going up to Youtube.

But NO. The most evidence I've seen here is some sketchy math,reasoning, and some even more sketchy diagrams. So I'm going to do the hard work and set up a really sketchy CER ( Claim, Evidence, Reasoning, for those who don't know). It's like a mini scientific method.

Evidence: The Flat Earth Society launches a weather balloon that rises to 35,000 feet with a GoPro strapped to it. The video shows that indeed, the earth is flat and the evidence is posted to Youtube to see for yourself.

Reasoning: Since the Flat Earth Society has public video evidence that the Earth is flat, The FE society puts it all together and we have a proven claim with 1 hard piece of evidence ( and many more sketchy ones that forum users have tried to add).

*( I put the sketchy evidence as reliable because at this point, looking outside , seeing the ground is flat, and proclaiming that the earth is flat counts as evidence)

People have. Quite a number of times.

Since your solution is so simple, free from error, requires no need for explanations, by your account reliable, and you are perfectly willing to take YouTube videos as evidence, here is exactly what you asked for (actually, three times the height you asked for!) and therefore your easy, reliable way to prove the Earth is flat has shown you that it is.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 03:38:42 AM »
I am not sure that is good enough for me, but i think it could possibly, although it is flat, look curved from up that high, due to the shape of our eyes or something we may not be able to fathom at all. After all,  there is nothing comparable to this so who know waht happens at this scale. But i think you can not see curvature on the ground at all and have verified this.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 03:40:43 AM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 04:06:22 AM »
Would you believe it if they did that successfully?
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 08:04:27 AM »
I am not sure that is good enough for me ...
Everyone has their own crteria for scientific validity, and this is specifically for Dr. Round, who laid out criteria that for them is "[t]he easiest way to reliably prove that the earth is flat"

You're not obligated to have the same criteria.

But Dr. Round has stated specifically a criteria for proof that is sufficient for them.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 10:42:24 AM »
...look curved from up that high, due to the shape of our eyes...

Does everything look curved to you when you're up in a plane, for example? As well, no one's eyes were up there, just a camera.

JackBlack

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 12:23:37 PM »
I am not sure that is good enough for me, but i think it could possibly, although it is flat, look curved from up that high, due to the shape of our eyes or something we may not be able to fathom at all. After all,  there is nothing comparable to this so who know waht happens at this scale. But i think you can not see curvature on the ground at all and have verified this.
No, you haven't verified this.
You have made claims of missing curvature.
Seeing the horizon is seeing curvature.
If there was no curvature there would be no horizon.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2023, 12:54:25 PM »

Since your solution is so simple, free from error, requires no need for explanations, by your account reliable, and you are perfectly willing to take YouTube videos as evidence, here is exactly what you asked for (actually, three times the height you asked for!) and therefore your easy, reliable way to prove the Earth is flat has shown you that it is.

That's edited footage. The raw footage shows heaps of curvature and looks nothing like that. Clearly some flat earth maniac has had a panic attack and manipulated the video.

?

Kami

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2023, 01:32:36 PM »

That's edited footage. The raw footage shows heaps of curvature and looks nothing like that. Clearly some flat earth maniac has had a panic attack and manipulated the video.
You realize that this is normally the go-to FE argument, right?

JackBlack

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2023, 01:43:03 PM »
Do you have the original footage?
Because to me that just looks like a typical fish eye lens.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2023, 02:55:57 PM »
Here's some raw footage:

Definitely fisheye. When the edge of the oblate spheroid is above the center of the frame it is convex. When it is below the center of he frame it is concave.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2023, 06:50:41 PM »

Hmmmm. Guess it's not very reliable, then, is it?

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2023, 08:45:24 PM »
Here's some raw footage:

Definitely fisheye. When the edge of the oblate spheroid is above the center of the frame it is convex. When it is below the center of he frame it is concave.

Thanks for posting that. That's the raw footage I was referring to. Yes, most likely a fish eye lens, but look at what some maniac flat earther has done with it.

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2023, 08:48:00 PM »

You realize that this is normally the go-to FE argument, right?

No shit. Ironic, isn't it?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2023, 11:24:42 PM »
Here's some raw footage:

Thanks for posting that. That's the raw footage I was referring to. Yes, most likely a fish eye lens, but look at what some maniac flat earther has done with it.

Yeah, the YTr has a few like this, the "Look Ma, it's flat!" videos. Hasn't posted in 5 years. I think he gave up.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2023, 02:16:20 AM »
Was this to me? I'll just say that take the pyramids for example. school bus sized stones under the top layer of car sized stones. i have heard that you can not move rocks that big on wood or stone wheels - the structural integrity is not there - they would be crushed. these were made a long time ago. they knowledge and understanding a long time ago that we do not understand today. from what i understand they also all believed the earth was flat. All types of things we dont know, haVE BEEN HIDDEN, ONLY A SMALL CROSS SECTION OF THE INFO REACHES THE PUBLIC.  sorry caps From what i understand all of the enlightened teahings that have been passed down, they're followers believed fe. It is not born of a lack of knowledge but a wealth of it....? even today the only thing we know is looks round from space...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 02:20:07 AM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2023, 02:58:47 AM »
It is not born of a lack of knowledge but a wealth of it....? even today the only thing we know is looks round from space...

Is that really the only thing we know? For example, have you ever looked at how long haul planes and ships move about the planet? Look up "great circle" navigation. Look up known distances and how they are derived. Then flip the script: How come there is no such thing as a usable flat earth map?

I'm pretty sure there are examples greater than just images from space.

JackBlack

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2023, 03:07:14 AM »
Was this to me? I'll just say that take the pyramids for example. school bus sized stones under the top layer of car sized stones. i have heard that you can not move rocks that big on wood or stone wheels - the structural integrity is not there - they would be crushed. these were made a long time ago. they knowledge and understanding a long time ago that we do not understand today. from what i understand they also all believed the earth was flat. All types of things we dont know, haVE BEEN HIDDEN, ONLY A SMALL CROSS SECTION OF THE INFO REACHES THE PUBLIC.  sorry caps From what i understand all of the enlightened teahings that have been passed down, they're followers believed fe. It is not born of a lack of knowledge but a wealth of it....? even today the only thing we know is looks round from space...
So you heard it, and just believe it?

Notice how that because it matches your view, you just happily accept it, based upon nothing more than it being said.

But why should anyone accept it?
Can they say just how big the rock would need to be to crush the wood?
Can they explain why wooden structures can hold far more weight?

While some ancient societies believed in a FE, that had more in common with the modern RE model than the modern FE model.
For example, they believed the sun set because it went below Earth. Just like if you were to take a small portion of Earth in the RE model and treat it as all of Earth.

We know far more than it looks round from space.
The RE model provides a coherent explanation of some many observations, observations which don't work for a FE, unless you ignore the vast majority of Earth, and some which simply don't work for a FE.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2023, 03:12:51 AM »
Was this to me?
More to the OP. They have a really weird standard of evidence.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2023, 03:19:28 AM »

Looks round from space and is round at ground and sea level, faded Mike. Honestly, will knowing how the Egyptians built the pyramids, improve your life, or help you sleep better? The Egyptians weren't necessarily greatly advanced, just because they built the pyramids and we don't know how they did it. I mean, do you worship Gog and Magog as well?

If you or any flat earther want to play pretend that the world is flat, that's fine. But it's pretending all the same, and nobody is forcing any flat earther to debate the globe or defend flat earth merits.

They do it all of their own accord like a sidewalk God botherer, shoving a bible in people's faces.

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2023, 06:29:34 PM »

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2023, 06:36:33 PM »
To be sure, the laser experiment and the rotation experiment are bona-fide attempts at determining the truth of the matter, so respect.

The definitive way to prove FE would be to charter a ship and release the gopro-balloon off the coast of Antarctica. It should either see beyond the rim or show only a white continent.

This should be easily within the means of you people.

Btw do it in the southern summer.

JackBlack

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2023, 12:52:41 AM »
To be sure, the laser experiment and the rotation experiment are bona-fide attempts at determining the truth of the matter, so respect.

The definitive way to prove FE would be to charter a ship and release the gopro-balloon off the coast of Antarctica. It should either see beyond the rim or show only a white continent.

This should be easily within the means of you people.

Btw do it in the southern summer.
Assuming it managed to reach an altitude of 100 km (40-50 km is far more typical), that would allow it to see a distance of ~1 000 km. But to see water you need a distance of at least 2500 km.
So all you will see is ice, as far as the eye can see (except on the side you are already on the water).

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2023, 01:19:46 AM »

Assuming it managed to reach an altitude of 100 km (40-50 km is far more typical), that would allow it to see a distance of ~1 000 km. But to see water you need a distance of at least 2500 km.

Would it be rude of me to ask how you came to this conclusion?

JackBlack

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2023, 01:54:20 AM »

Would it be rude of me to ask how you came to this conclusion?
Draw a line from the altitude of the balloon to the centre of Earth, assumed to be spherical.
Draw a line from the balloon to a point tangent on Earth.
Draw a line from the point the tangent line touches Earth to the centre.
This forms a right triangle, with one length r, and the other length r+h.
The angle at the centre of Earth can be found as:
a=arccos(r/(r+h)).
The length along the surface can be found as:
l=a*r = r*arccos(r/(r+h)).
Putting in r=6371 km, and h=100 km, this gives:
l=6371 km * arccos(6371/6471) = 6371 km * 0.176 = 1121 km.

So a balloon at an altitude of 100 km will only see a distance of 1121 km along the surface of Earth.

Quickly look at a map of Antarctica, like this one here:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Antarctica.svg
We can see that other than seeing accross a small outcrop, Antartica is well over 2000 km wide. In fact, we see the entirety of Antartica is outside 80 degrees south.
10 degrees of latitude is given by 10*10000/90 = 1111.1 km, so 2222 km for crossing the 80 degrees. (approximately, if you want it more accurately, it would be 6371*10*pi/180 = 1111.9, so basically the same).
Additionally, you can go to Google Maps, and let it do the calculation for you, and find the shortest distance is roughly 2500 km.

So that wont be proof.
Regardless of if Earth is round or flat, you would expect to see a lot of ice.
It is only in the models were Antartica is a thin wall of ice you would expect to see the edge of Earth or something.