7.8 Magnitude Earthquake in Turkey

• 50 Replies

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: 7.8 Magnitude Earthquake in Turkey
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2023, 07:10:13 AM »
To me it looks like images out of Ukraine, but obviously this all happened in much less time.
I saw images of Japan’s rescue team arriving. Hopefully more help does arrive in time.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2023, 07:21:07 AM »
Are you saying that erdogan rigged all those buildings to collapse in a false flag attack?

I guess not.  However I suspect we'll be hearing a lot of stories about how many of those buildings didn't meet building standards for an earthquake zone due to developers paying off authorities.    How much we will hear will probably depend on how well connected to the AKP they are...

Maybe this is me being biased against the not so rich countries but was there any expectation that these buildings could survive this?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2023, 07:26:23 AM »
Are you saying that erdogan rigged all those buildings to collapse in a false flag attack?

I guess not.  However I suspect we'll be hearing a lot of stories about how many of those buildings didn't meet building standards for an earthquake zone due to developers paying off authorities.    How much we will hear will probably depend on how well connected to the AKP they are...

Maybe this is me being biased against the not so rich countries but was there any expectation that these buildings could survive this?

Probably not.  Building standards in a lot of countries are no where near what USA or other western countries are.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2023, 07:51:39 AM »
The building codes are there, but from what I've been able to read it seems like they are often overlooked because they are expensive to follow.

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2023, 08:54:21 AM »

I've no idea, however you can see individual buildings just melt with other ones right next to them staying up.
"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Quote from: bulmabriefs144
The woke left have tried to erase photosynthesis

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2023, 09:41:29 AM »
This person on Twitter shared an image of the USGS ShakeMap from the earthquake overlaying the UK to show the scale

https://twitter.com/seismo_steve/status/1623336597176344576?s=61&t=p4Fyji3ZYxdVLCUBDLX1sQ

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2023, 09:58:04 AM »
Oh wow, and then there's this:
"Catastrophe risk firm Risklayer has raised its projected death toll in Turkey and Syria from the earthquakes to 45,330 (it was 34,520 yesterday)"
https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1623366834450841602?t=svSdStcw6Vvj82uvM0JSEw&s=34

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2023, 07:46:38 PM »
This person on Twitter shared an image of the USGS ShakeMap from the earthquake overlaying the UK to show the scale

https://twitter.com/seismo_steve/status/1623336597176344576?s=61&t=p4Fyji3ZYxdVLCUBDLX1sQ

WOW. That's insane.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2023, 11:46:20 AM »
I don't donate blood for some principled reasons.

I am wise, I am safe, safe is wise, safe is me. How can it be anything else? I don't know what you mean, anyway.

I wonder what those are given donating blood is acceptable in Islam which you supposedly follow. Maybe it's helping others you're against?

Regular blood donations are also healthy for you. Men especially as we don't bleed out half to death one week every month. Good way to reduce iron levels too. I can't fathom why the hesitation unless you are gay and your regressive government policies forbid you to donate because of that

Women only lose about a Tablespoon of blood to nourish the egg during their period.
Also, why would you want to reduce iron levels? Some people simply don't have enough iron in their body so maybe Wise is one of those people who have low blood iron?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2023, 11:57:00 AM »
I don't donate blood for some principled reasons.

I am wise, I am safe, safe is wise, safe is me. How can it be anything else? I don't know what you mean, anyway.

I wonder what those are given donating blood is acceptable in Islam which you supposedly follow. Maybe it's helping others you're against?

Regular blood donations are also healthy for you. Men especially as we don't bleed out half to death one week every month. Good way to reduce iron levels too. I can't fathom why the hesitation unless you are gay and your regressive government policies forbid you to donate because of that

Women only lose about a Tablespoon of blood to nourish the egg during their period.
Also, why would you want to reduce iron levels? Some people simply don't have enough iron in their body so maybe Wise is one of those people who have low blood iron?

Before you donate blood they test your iron level and if it's low they won't let you donate

https://www.oneblood.org/about-donating/blood-donor-basics/can-i-donate/health-benefits.stml#:~:text=Donating%20regularly%20may%20help%20your,keep%20your%20iron%20level%20balanced.

Donating blood also comes with other benefits, such as reduced chance of heart attack or strokes. In an era everyone is worried about a supposed increase in people dropping dead from these, maybe donate for these reasons too.

You might notice multivitamins for men that boast it does not contain iron. Because men don't have much  in reducing it if it's getting high. Donating blood keeps your iron levels balanced. It's easily replenished by food so it's not usually an issue to lose a little in donation which is usually only allowed (at least here) 4x a year max.

My guess is wise doesn't like to donate blood because he is averse to helping people. And heaven forbid his blood ends up in a 'Kurd' knowing his prejudices

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2023, 12:00:51 PM »
Wise is forbidden to donate his blood to other men as it would be homo as he would (technically) be inside them.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2023, 06:48:58 AM »
Just think. It took Russia a year to cause this level of destruction in Ukraine.

Mother nature did it in 5 minutes to turkey.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2023, 07:15:26 AM »
Just think. It took Russia a year to cause this level of destruction in Ukraine.

Mother nature did it in 5 minutes to turkey.
Russia tried to do this to Ukraine, and in doing so, Ukraine might have the same infrastructure damages sure. But, I'll raise you this: Russia's own level of human loss might be on par with the earthquake.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2023, 07:39:40 AM »
There is that.

Has anyone noticed something of a lack of sympathy for Turkey?  I expected to see a 2 for 1 charity match for this situation from somewhere but nothing.  Maybe it's because their president is a total asshole which isn't really fair to its citizens.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2023, 08:10:39 AM »

However, The Swedish Minister for International Development and Foreign Trade, Johan Forssell, said on Tuesday in Stockholm that seven million crowns (around 600,000 euros) in financial aid had been given to Turkey and Syria and that they were prepared to provide further support in the short term.

And apparently no mention of NATO membership.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2023, 08:19:57 AM »
From a cynical transactional perspective it kind of makes sense.  If they withhold aid because Erdogan is being a jackass then it makes them look bad and probably doesn't help with their NATO bid.  It also wouldn't change things much since most countries in a situation like this will go ahead and throw in some aid regardless of some other country withholding it.

If they go ahead send aid then it might make Erdogan less popular with his own citizens for playing stupid games with a country that's aiding them in a critical time. 

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2023, 12:54:24 PM »
Oz has apparently donated $10 million (so far). I expect more will be donated as the need arises.

I guess being early days and Erdogan being a bit of a dick, this isn't something we just want to throw money at. Syria is also in dire need and well their president is a total dick. How to funnel money there and ensure it goes where it's needed?

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2023, 04:13:52 AM »
This was posted to Reddit.

https://news.yahoo.com/resurfaced-videos-2019-shows-turkish-131708414.html
Title is
“ Resurfaced videos from 2019 shows Turkish president bragging about builders skirting earthquake construction codes in areas now turned to rubble”

Is Erdogan done for at the upcoming election?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2023, 06:59:29 AM »
This was posted to Reddit.

https://news.yahoo.com/resurfaced-videos-2019-shows-turkish-131708414.html
Title is
“ Resurfaced videos from 2019 shows Turkish president bragging about builders skirting earthquake construction codes in areas now turned to rubble”

Is Erdogan done for at the upcoming election?

Doubtful.  Erdogan is like US Democrats, they could kill babies on TV and people will vote for them.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2023, 09:31:05 AM »
I'd counter, Erdogan is like US politicians, they could kill babies on TV and people will vote for them.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2023, 10:12:46 AM »
A good explainer about soft-storey construction. Definitely something that even plagues my town.

How these buildings made Turkey-Syria’s earthquake so deadly