Random interesting facts you came across...

• 17 Replies

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Random interesting facts you came across...
« on: January 24, 2023, 03:28:07 AM »
This guy is always good for one

What's some you came across today?

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Random interesting facts you came across...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 09:02:11 AM »
Some people think paprika is from a paprika tree https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/people-only-just-realising-what-29033986 

IN FACT it is just tasteless red powder you use to make deviled eggs pretty!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 03:56:05 AM »
Prompted by the mention of the Easter bunny.

The easter bunny is a degradation of the Celtic/Saxon veneration of the Hare. Long touted as a roman introduction (UK) despite carbon dated remains in Ireland going back to 28,000bc, being well enough established for being used as auguries for the Iceni Queen Boudica as sacred to Andate goddess of victory, and Julius Ceasar remarking that the local Celts considered it unlawful to eat.

This being true except at Easter, named for the Saxon dawn goddess Ēostre to whom the hare was blessed, as it carried the sun through the night turning into a bird (The Lapwing) to carry it during the day, which explains the easter egg connection, as the scrape of a Lapwings nest is identical and  similarly situated to the hares and eggs found therein were attributed to the animal.

Vestiges of this tradition still exist in the local (to me) easter custom of Hallaton bottle kicking, a violent melee game whose only rules are no weapons, eye gouging or strangling, where the emergency services are always on standby, and is preceded by the blessing of a Hare pie by the local vicar, the pie is then halved, one part being thrown to the crowd the other spread on hare pie bank at the foot of hare hill, reputedly the site of an ancient pre-Christian temple.
The recipe for the pie is a secret passed down through the women of the parish but is rumoured to contain blood related to the veneration of the moon to which the Hare is also connected by dint of is nocturnality.
Attempts in the past by the Christian clergy to boycott the clearly pagan ceremony were met by vandalism and the church being daubed with the message, “No Pie, No Parson!” and a subsequent rescinding of the embargo.

The Hares speed, ability to disappear and night-time habit, gave rise to its position as runner of messages, both between and from the gods of the underworld.

Shapeshifters were often said to take the form of the hare. There is a legend that the Celtic warrior Oisin hunted a hare, wounding it in the leg. Oisin followed the wounded animal into a thicket where he found a door leading down into the ground. He followed and came to a large hall where he found a beautiful young woman sitting on a throne bleeding from a leg wound. This probability of a caught hare being something more powerful than just a big bunny, likely explains the taboo in eating them other than at a prescribed time where said otherworldly being could be elsewhere.

The Scottish witch Isobel Gowdie when accused of witchcraft, claimed to become a hare with the words:
I sall goe intill ane haire
With sorrow, and sych, and meikle care
And I sale goe in the Divellis nam
Ay whill I com hom againe.

And so the desert religions spreading miasma incorporated all this into their zombie worship and few people wonder what the fuck rabbits and eggs have to do with Jesus, so there it is and apologies if I made any of that up.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 05:10:21 AM by Jura-Glenlivet II »
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 04:44:23 AM »
Since I don't see the content, or rather, I don't care, I will write according to the title. For more information look at the meaning of "ignore something". Anyway.

In every simulation, I put in some shortcuts in case things don't go as expected. Because things never go as expected.

Interestingly, I didn't put any shortcuts in this simulation. This world has the distinction of being the first to be completely organic, unlike the infinite number of previous world experiences. I experience the negative consequences of this unique and interesting experience with amazement every day.

Would I experience something like this again? I don't want to experience the abundance of NSS, wolvaccine, Erdoğan, Gates, İmamoğlu, Byberesice, Faucci, Uğur Şahin, etc characters in the world ever again in any world. Never. But first, I need to construct a scenario of painful annihilation for these characters, will be identical to the afterlife.

Funny, you claimed to be responding to the thread title but ignored the word "facts".

And like always, you turned this topic into and "All about Wise" moment. Classic narcissism.

Random intersting fact:

T. S. Eliot wore green makeup and lipstick to look "interesting and cadaverous".

After writing The Waste Land, TS Eliot took to wearing green-tinted face powder and lipstick – and his strange complexion did not go unnoticed. In the early 20s, Osbert Sitwell said Eliot’s face was “pale but distinctly green … the colour of forced lily-of-the-valley.” Likewise, while writing in her diary on 12 March 1922, Virginia Woolf remarked: “I am not sure that he does not paint his lips.”

Quite why he assumed a green pallor, nobody knew. But there were rumours. While talking to Woolf’s sister Vanessa, Clive Bell said he thought Eliot powdered his face in order to look “interesting and cadaverous”.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 07:32:15 AM »
Nothing much else to debate round here, so I'll have a pop here.

Prompted by the mention of the Easter bunny.

The easter bunny is a degradation of the Celtic/Saxon veneration of the Hare.
Maybe, but there is practically zero evidence for that.  The first recorded association of bunnies with the Christian Easter is from the 1600s Dutch - who then took it to America where it became popularised - of course the practice might be much older than that, but there is no evidence it has survived  from pagan rituals.

This being true except at Easter, named for the Saxon dawn goddess Ēostre to whom the hare was blessed, as it carried the sun through the night turning into a bird (The Lapwing) to carry it during the day, which explains the easter egg connection, as the scrape of a Lapwings nest is identical and  similarly situated to the hares and eggs found therein were attributed to the animal.
Literally the only mention we have of Eostre\Ostara anywhere is one line from Bede.  Which is much debated, as we have no idea if he just heard it down the pub or if it was a very local (Northumbria) deity that nobody else had even heard of in Northern europe.   Outside of this line, there are no inscriptions, writings or archaeological evidence to support the veneration of any godess called Eostre\Ostara anywhere in Europe.

Bede also makes no mention of hares or lapwings (or swallows or whatever) being associated with Eostre  - this association appears to entirely an invention of 19th century folklorists.

There's some good stuff here

https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2016/04/ostara-and-the-hare/
and here
https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2016/03/easter-bunny/?loclr=blogflt

Vestiges of this tradition still exist in the local (to me) easter custom of Hallaton bottle kicking, a violent melee game whose only rules are no weapons, eye gouging or strangling, where the emergency services are always on standby, and is preceded by the blessing of a Hare pie by the local vicar, the pie is then halved, one part being thrown to the crowd the other spread on hare pie bank at the foot of hare hill, reputedly the site of an ancient pre-Christian temple.
The recipe for the pie is a secret passed down through the women of the parish but is rumoured to contain blood related to the veneration of the moon to which the Hare is also connected by dint of is nocturnality.
I love all this stuff.  Pie eating and random violence - can't get much more British than that!  I guess you use rabbit rather than protected Hares though?

so there it is and apologies if I made any of that up.
I think it was German Romantic nationalists making it up :)
"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Quote from: bulmabriefs144
The woke left have tried to erase photosynthesis

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 09:05:55 AM »

Ok Jimmy let me walk you through this, the tri-hare symbol is ancient, and is present from Buddhist 6th century cave art right across the silk road routes and Europe to adorning Cornish churches, now we know that Christians/newer religions either vilify or incorporate local deities and holy places into their pantheon for reasons, and that old or reoccurring myths crop up in local sayings sneakily added motifs to new works, as in,

“Thag! Why the fuck have you carved three hares with interlinked ears on my fucking church, it’s pagan.”

“No your graciousness, it represents the trinity in a way the local people will understand whilst giving them a link to their past.”

And in the Hare pie of Hallaton bottle-kicking, (incidentally the Hare albeit protected is also a game animal that has no closed season, http://hare-preservation-trust.com/), and whereas the senseless violence and subsequent drinking acts as a distraction to the yobbish (men), the fairer sex are all about the pie, my mother, bought up in Hallaton and nearby Bringhurst always said the bottlekicking was just something for the boys to do when the girls had important work.

Hallaton is a small place with a lot going on, the site of the biggest find of iron age silver and gold coinage in Britain at a ritual site overlooking the Welland valley, that contained a silver gilded iron ceremonial Roman cavalry helmet, a sacrificed dog as a guard and nearly 7,000 bone fragments.
Nowadays it is a gentrified village full of townies who bought out the locals from their thatched cottages, back when my mother lived there it was more like Summerisle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wicker_Man), if she’s to be believed.

So Jimmy, you go to your Bede’s and google searches if that makes you the expert, me, I’ll listen to the old tales, the whispering of the Green-man and the sagas passed from generation to generation.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 11:10:13 AM »
I'm just shooting the shit here...

“Thag! Why the fuck have you carved three hares with interlinked ears on my fucking church, it’s pagan.”

“No your graciousness, it represents the trinity in a way the local people will understand whilst giving them a link to their past.”
Or, nobody said that, as it was just some cool decoration?  Like the Green Man it is more an example of artistic diffusion from the east, rather than any continuation of northern European paganism?  Or perhaps some mix of both.

It would be fascinating to be able to ask the stonemason or carver and ask them.  Maybe they would say "well my grandma would sing me the Old Songs of the ways of the three hares  as her mother did before her".  Or maybe they would tell us how they "once went to Leicester and in a pub a man showed him mysterious foreign scrolls featuring three hares which he was much taken with."  I think both are equally fascinating.

So Jimmy, you go to your Bede’s and google searches if that makes you the expert, me, I’ll listen to the old tales, the whispering of the Green-man and the sagas passed from generation to generation.
Fair enough!  Though I will say it's you who was promoting the Bedian view, not me.  As without that Venerable man we wouldn't even know of Eostre and subsequently all that folklore that has been piled on the feet of that particular goddess.

No old tales whispered through generations for me, all that was lost many years ago. Both sets of grandparents are from the industrial cities of the midlands, just as their grandparents were.    You are lucky that your ancestors' village wasn't swallowed up by the industrial Behemoths and at least some of them had sufficient resources to stay rather than migrate.

"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 01:00:07 PM »
The only way to solve this is for the two of you to wrestle in the middle of Stonehenge on the vernal equinox.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 01:21:33 PM »

All true. Stories woven from truth, half truth and imagination.

Bede, bless him too.

My mother was a forced migration, dumped as a toddler on reluctant hosts, driven from the big smoke by the Luftwaffe, only partially integrated into rural Britain through resentment, misunderstanding and an almost ossifying fear of change, married a local boy who was more bottle-kicker than Hare pie, bless him, but it fired her imagination, and mine.

But the villages, beautiful as they are were swallowed, not by industrialisation as such but by money looking for an idyll and locals no longer needed for harvesters, priced out to city estates and piecework.

When her parents moved up to be with their 7 children, scattered as they were through the hamlets and villages of south Leicestershire, rather than wait for the bomb stricken street they had lived in to be bulldozed and rebuilt, they were offered an old ram-shackled building in the centre of Hallaton or a new council house in a much bigger village, they took the latter, buildings in Hallaton fetch 5-10 times the money now than where she lived, but the stories left with the locals and their accents, leaving chocolate box beauty, generic English and little soul.

Too old for wrestling in the mud, a game of cribbage?     

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 01:10:57 AM »
The only way to solve this is for the two of you to wrestle in the middle of Stonehenge on the vernal equinox.
Stonehenge?  People just think it's history goes back to pagan times, however it was actually built in 1986 for something to look at from the A303.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 03:17:22 PM »
Stonehenge?  People just think it's history goes back to pagan times, however it was actually built in 1986 for something to look at from the A303.
The truth about Stonehenge from people who would know,
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 09:31:44 PM »
In days of yore women were the brewers of ale. Known as 'alewives '. Mostly done in their homes or out-buildings. To indicate when a brew was complete and ready for consumption a broom was hung over the door as a sign of, well, basically, "The bar is open".

When men wanted to take over a brewing operation, they would simply accuse the female brewer(s) of witchery to get what they wanted.

Hence, broomsticks became associated with witches.

There are some other theories about this, but they're boring.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 07:05:13 AM »
Although almost everybody is aware of Stonehenge and probably Avebury and Silbury hill, there are a host of Neolithic sites in Britain that pre-date those current structures. Perhaps the strangest and one of the oldest being the ritual landscape at the Ness of Brodgar on the Orkney Islands off the top of Scotland.

Although these structures, standing stones, Henges, burial chambers, observatories and ritual houses  were approximately contemporary with the “Houses for Eternity” of the archaic period of Egypt (1st and 2nd dynasties but 500yrs before the great pyramids), the brick temples of Sumeria, Uruk, and the first cities of the Harappa culture in India, and a century or two earlier than the Golden Age of China, they were nowhere near what are considered centres of civilisation at a shade under 60◦ North and on a crop of beautiful if isolated rocks in the north Atlantic.

Excavations only began in 2003 on the main site on a slither of land between brackish and freshwater lochs but what is there points to a civilisation that built impressive calendrically aligned structures that lasted for centuries.

The extraordinary “structure 10” a Temple excavated in 2008 was built over the remains of previous buildings and has been dated to about 2,900bc,  It has walls 4 metres (13 ft) thick .The building is 25 metres (82 ft) long and 20 metres (66 ft) wide and a standing stone with a hole shaped like an hourglass was incorporated into the walls, and sported a tiled roof of thinly split flagstone and a paved courtyard leading to a single doorway flanked by two substantial standing stones.
The masonry, inside and out, was exquisite and enhanced by decorated and dressed stone, with walls standing two metres high.

By Kenny Arne Lang Antonsen - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71842869

After 4 centuries and some remedial work due to subsidence, it was “decommissioned”, A large, multi-cupmarked stone was placed at the centre of the hearth alongside an inverted cattle skull.  A complete Grooved Ware pot was also placed in a pit dug into the floor of the southern recess.
The building’s substantial walls were partially dismantled, and the interior filled with layers of midden and rubble. Eventually Structure Ten was transformed into a monumental mound.
It wasn’t however forgotten, about 100yrs later a huge feast took place there, the bones of around 400 cattle were found layered carefully into the surrounding ditch, the bones which had been split to remove the marrow all seemingly from one event.

I just thought it was interesting as people tend to think the stone age being shaggy half apes stumbling around in the snow, twating mammoths with clubs, but shit like this, and bigger, see Newgrange below, Was being built all over the place centuries before the Parthenon.

By Tjp finn - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=51765798

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 07:17:04 AM by Jura-Glenlivet II »

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 04:02:24 PM »
Random fact: I only just recently found out that Stay-Puft brand marshmallows (and the Stay-Puft marshmallow man) from Ghostbusters are fictional.

My mind had conflated Jet-Puffed brand marshmallows and the Michelin Man / Pillsbury Dough Boy look and I never really gave it a second thought.

Embarrasing? Kinda.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2023, 08:02:21 PM »
Don't beat yourself up. Until just now, I always thought it was Stay-Puff...

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 02:46:36 AM »

Continuing on the Weasel theme, as it’s International Weasel Day.

The fourth most frequent cause for non-collision auto insurance claims in Germany is Weasel damage. Last year, drivers there filed 198,000 claims for weasel-inflicted damage, mainly on electrical wiring and hoses where seemingly, they go into a frenzy of destruction.

Apparently this harks back to an influential Weasel being miss sold an Audi on its emission data when the car had a special chip that could tell when it was being tested and adjust accordingly.
A spokes Weasel stated,
“We’re not taking this shit! It’s war!”

German car makers have hit back with a range of anti-Weasel defense systems utilizing ultrasonics, electric shocks and a snap on badge of an American brand of car the Weasels won’t touch because of the high calorific content.

https://janejanejane.com/2019/12/28/weasels-damaging-cars-in-germany/

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 03:19:52 AM »
While we are on Mustelids, for those that have never seen the Stoat's mesmeric death dance.

Some animals spend hours creeping up on shit, the Stoat busts out some serious dance moves that leave the rabbits so in awed surprise that it forgets to run away from the cute little psycho.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2023, 08:49:44 AM »
I did not know they ate rabbits.