Would any members of FES be interested discussing flat earth/FES on discord?

• 64 Replies

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
If there are any FES members that would like to check it out, join the server and just listen and make up your own mind.
That's what I'm saying, though... I did join. And it left me wondering things. Things like these:
What's with the weird leveling system? Is it tied to how many times you post something? What's the point of it? Why is there a mod out there calling people derogatory names and then following it up with "uh, well, I have tourette's" as if that is an excuse? Why are new people being bombarded by mods demanding to know if you are FE or RE the moment they show up? Shouldn't that be something a person could opt into on their own?

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
I would suggest that any FES members that want to check out the discord server, just join and listen in. As someone that believes the in the globe Earth, I do find that Shane and the other mods do a decent job of moderating the server.   For the most part, they do a good job of keeping things on topic and keeping thigs (more or less) civil.   If there are any FES members that would like to check it out, join the server and just listen and make up your own mind.   Keep in mind that the dynamics of conversation are significantly different between the forums and a live environment such as Discord. 
There are actually several Flat earth centric servers.   Some are better than others.

I'll check it out provided I get BFF status on the server.

If there are any FES members that would like to check it out, join the server and just listen and make up your own mind.
That's what I'm saying, though... I did join. And it left me wondering things. Things like these:
What's with the weird leveling system? Is it tied to how many times you post something? What's the point of it? Why is there a mod out there calling people derogatory names and then following it up with "uh, well, I have tourette's" as if that is an excuse? Why are new people being bombarded by mods demanding to know if you are FE or RE the moment they show up? Shouldn't that be something a person could opt into on their own?

I cant answer the leveling system, I find it weird myself.   As for the insults, unfortunately its just the nature of the community.  I am sure it happens here as well.   Each side insults the other to some extent.   As long as it doesn't cross the line, just deal with it.   Unfortunately the definition of 'crossing the line' can be different for everyone.   But its really difficult to root out the insults completely from both sides.   It is what it is.  Regarding the FE or RE, that is just for roles, so everyone can be assigned a role and if you do participate people can look at your profile and know where you stand without asking. 

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator

I cant answer the leveling system, I find it weird myself.   As for the insults, unfortunately its just the nature of the community.  I am sure it happens here as well.   Each side insults the other to some extent.   As long as it doesn't cross the line, just deal with it.   Unfortunately the definition of 'crossing the line' can be different for everyone.   But its really difficult to root out the insults completely from both sides.   It is what it is.  Regarding the FE or RE, that is just for roles, so everyone can be assigned a role and if you do participate people can look at your profile and know where you stand without asking.
I think a near-universal definition of "crossing the line" should include a moderator claiming that Tourette's is causing them to say things like that. Don't you? And why should anyone need to look at my profile to see where I stand? Shouldn't one's arguments stand on their own merit? Are the people there so incapable of independent thought that the need to check to see if they are on the same FE/RE team as the person they are about to reply to? If not, then that mechanic doesn't really matter and might even be harmful to productive conversation.

You guys have fun with it. From what I saw already and what you're saying here it, sounds like my time already spent there was more than enough time for me.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?

Anyway, the Tourette’s doesn’t stand to scrutiny, people with it may not be able to stop outbursts of swearing physically (and rarely) but the act of typing it would circumvent that immediacy and make it moot, so the guy is just a dick, so why bother?
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.