Maze of the Day

• 49 Replies

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
Maze of the Day
« on: November 03, 2022, 05:07:25 PM »
This thread is where I will share a fresh maze with you, every single day. Except for the days I forget. And the days I don't feel like it. And the days where I really want to but other things get in the way. And the days where I really want to and nothing actually gets in the way, it's just that sometimes I'm lazy. Anyway. Here is today's maze. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
Re: Maze of the Day
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 04:10:41 AM »

I'm trapped, I think I heard a bull.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 07:18:37 AM »
Maze.  You call it corn.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 07:29:52 AM »
"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Quote from: bulmabriefs144
The woke left have tried to erase photosynthesis

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 10:14:59 AM »
Those mazes are not these mazes. These mazes are much mazier. Also, that maize is different than this maze. This maze is, well, much mazier. I shall share another maze very soon. It will be a fine maze. An excellent maze, maybe even. I mean, that kind of depends on whatever deity the algorithm prays to, but I have faith that it will be a maze that will surpass all expectations. Unless you expect it to be something other than what it is, in which case, you're going to have to find a way to wrestle with your inner demons in another way because mazes can't fix that.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 10:18:32 AM »
This thread is where I will share a fresh maze with you, every single day. Except for the days I forget. And the days I don't feel like it. And the days where I really want to but other things get in the way. And the days where I really want to and nothing actually gets in the way, it's just that sometimes I'm lazy.

...But never at dusk..."

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 11:55:36 AM »
Jokes on you, I do mazes by going from "finish" to "start".

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 12:35:13 PM »
It's very important that you do not engage in that kind of rebellious behavior with these mazes. They will eat you. I haven't worked out all the bugs yet, so it's unavoidable right now.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 12:41:58 PM »
Here is the next Maze of the Day

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 01:03:32 PM »
I'm actually going to be gone for most of the weekend, so I'll share an extra credit MotD right now. May the force be with you. And also with you.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 02:06:55 PM »
Now I have pencil marks all over my screen.  >:(
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 02:21:16 PM »
Now I have pencil marks all over my screen.  >:(
A little white-out will take care of that!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 05:05:18 PM »
 >:(
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2022, 05:06:06 PM »
Nice mazes.
"Deep Throat: Mister Mulder, why are those like yourself, who believe in the existence of extraterrestrial life on this Earth, not dissuaded by all the evidence to the contrary?
Mulder: Because, all the evidence to the contrary is not entirely dissuasive."

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2022, 12:22:08 AM »
I won them all on the first try

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2022, 09:56:29 PM »
Laughs in Maze Tools.
Puny humans.
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2022, 01:01:14 PM »

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2022, 11:58:00 AM »
Today's MotD is a long and winding one. Go forth and be excellent.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2022, 01:37:11 PM »
It's very important that you do not engage in that kind of rebellious behavior with these mazes. They will eat you. I haven't worked out all the bugs yet, so it's unavoidable right now.

YOU CANT STOP ME AHAHAHA!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2022, 06:38:45 PM »
Are these human made or AI generated?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2022, 05:16:04 AM »
They are made with a depth-first search algorithm. So, somewhere in the middle. Hand-coded, but not hand made. And no real AI behind it, just a little bit of a framework along with random number generated twists and turns.

See the Iterative implementation portion of the Randomized depth-first search section near the top of this page for the steps it follows:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_generation_algorithm

The only extra step I added was at the end. It randomly selects two cells along the edge walls that still have 3 intact walls and marks them a different color so there is a beginning and end.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2022, 09:43:40 AM »
They are made with a depth-first search algorithm. So, somewhere in the middle. Hand-coded, but not hand made. And no real AI behind it, just a little bit of a framework along with random number generated twists and turns.

See the Iterative implementation portion of the Randomized depth-first search section near the top of this page for the steps it follows:

The only extra step I added was at the end. It randomly selects two cells along the edge walls that still have 3 intact walls and marks them a different color so there is a beginning and end.
That answers my question. Seems like next step would be to use ML to solve them.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2022, 11:02:12 AM »

That answers my question. Seems like next step would be to use ML to solve them.
The very same algorithm is supposedly pretty good at solving these. It's pretty fun to watch it work, or at least it is for me, when it's generating the maze. I haven't gone back and refactored it to solve the mazes yet, but that might be a fun thing to tackle.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2022, 02:59:31 PM »

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2022, 04:02:01 PM »

YOU CANT STOP ME AHAHAHA!

It's best not to anger the maze gods.
"Deep Throat: Mister Mulder, why are those like yourself, who believe in the existence of extraterrestrial life on this Earth, not dissuaded by all the evidence to the contrary?
Mulder: Because, all the evidence to the contrary is not entirely dissuasive."

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2022, 03:06:32 PM »

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2022, 05:20:05 PM »
This one is a long and winding one

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2022, 04:35:20 AM »
Okay, so I did it.

Now stop! Pack the fucker in, desist, abstain from further inflictions of this particular fetish of yours, as you know not what you do.

Mazes, you have to do them, and then you dream about them, you become the rat peered at and judged and then you remember being the umbrella man, separated from your family by willful children scuttling off, and you weren’t feeling well, some low level virus thingy (well before covid before you start), with hayfever and a hangover thrown in, and Longleat Maze.

Longleat maze has bridges and a tower near the exit where you can get your bearings and look for the wayward and the lost, me in my fugue becoming that figure, hearing my family and friends calling over the 8-foot-tall Yew hedges and holding up my brolly after an hour stumbling dazed and confused through the labyrinthian 2 miles. It’s an old English word maze that translates as delirium and that has never been so appropriate as that day.

All children are bastards, I should know, I was one, and there were many there that day above and beyond my own, clustered on the various bridges and sallying forth to peer at the English Theseus, calling out both wrong and proper directions to the effect where none could be trusted.

Physically I am safe now, this I know, but when darkness seals the gates and all infants are tucked in bed, still a parasol bobs along through that living warren, the other Umbrella man the one that wasn’t saved and still wanders the twisted caverns of my mind. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 04:37:00 AM by Jura-Glenlivet II »
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2022, 05:24:16 AM »
Today's MotD will not be the slog that yesterday's was, so Jura can mentally recover from the horrors of yesterday's.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2022, 09:08:56 AM »
Here's a brand new style of maze for you all. This is a number maze. You begin in the top left corner, and your goal is to make it to the star in the bottom right. To move, you choose to go either horizontally or vertically the number of spaces written on the square you are currently in. You cannot land in the same square twice. From the top left square, there are 6 moves to get to the end on this number maze.

Edit to add: There could be more than one solution. My program doesn't check for that yet. It just makes a path, generates the numbers for every location on the path, and then randomly fills in the rest of the squares with numbers between 1 and 5 (and the 5 is because it's the maximum possible distance on this size board). So the 6 moves I mentioned before are for the path the maze generator chose, you might find others though.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 11:35:12 AM by boydster »