Debunking your Flat Earth Society...

• 37 Replies
« on: February 03, 2007, 09:35:29 PM »
Gravity is created by mass, not acceleration.

Well that wasn't so hard...
vidence > Faith

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 09:43:17 PM »
Gravity=acceleration.

Try again.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 09:52:31 PM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"
Gravity=acceleration.

Try again.

If acceleration creates gravity then a sun overhead sending light down to Earth would vaporize everything. But wait, photons don't have any mass...

Try again.
vidence > Faith

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:56:44 PM »
Gravity and acceleration are locally indistinguishable.  Acceleration doesn't create gravity, it creates the effects of gravity.  

Photons don't have mass, so how can gravity effect them?

Try again.

BTW:

If acceleration creates gravity then a sun overhead sending light down to Earth would vaporize everything.

:?:

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 10:01:45 PM »

If acceleration creates gravity then a sun overhead sending light down to Earth would vaporize everything.

I agree with TheEngineer
quote="DiegoDraw"]"And Moses said unto his brethren: 'The Earth is flat!...biznatches,'" [/quote]
DOT INFO

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 10:22:46 PM »
Everything has gravity. Even the non-moving things. Flunked physics, now did we?

I have gravity, you have gravity, the original X-Box has massive gravity...Gravity is not acceleration. Now, the gravity is very, very weak, but it exists.

And if the earth has greater gravity than the sun, wouldn't we suck in the sun and earth? Whats the difference between a ball coming back to ground and the sun coming back to the ground?

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 10:28:42 PM »
Gravity and acceleration are locally indistinguishable.  Acceleration doesn't create gravity, it creates the effects of gravity.

Have you ever taken a physics class? Gravity is created by mass. Acceleration can only increase gravitational pull if gravitational pull is already present and you are accelerating against the pull.

If acceleration creates the effects of gravity (fake gravity? :rolleyes: ) then light would have the most gravity of anything because photons accelerate faster than anything, 186,000 miles in a second.

Please distinguish between gravity and effects of gravity because it appears you are merely equivocating.

Photons don't have mass, so how can gravity effect them?

Self-correction, photons have the least mass of any particle. They are affected by gravity as evidenced by black holes. My bad.

Try again.

Likewise.

BTW:

:?:
[/QUOTE]

Photons accelerate faster than anything else we know of so if acceleration creates gravity (or the effects of gravity as you say) then I doubt any matter could withstand a force like that. Unfortunately you utterly fail to explain your hypothesis of the gravitational effects of acceleration. Tell me what law you have that correlates acceleration gravitational forces while completely ignoring F=ma. Thanks.

Quote from: "The_Earth_Does_Not_Exist"
I agree with TheEngineer

Neat.
vidence > Faith

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 10:30:01 PM »
Quote from: "soadrocker856"
Everything has gravity. Even the non-moving things. Flunked physics, now did we?

I have gravity, you have gravity, the original X-Box has massive gravity...Gravity is not acceleration. Now, the gravity is very, very weak, but it exists.

And if the earth has greater gravity than the sun, wouldn't we suck in the sun and earth? Whats the difference between a ball coming back to ground and the sun coming back to the ground?

Excellent teamwork, very good points.
vidence > Faith

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 10:40:37 PM »
Quote from: "E Nomini Patri"

Have you ever taken a physics class?

Have you?

If acceleration creates the effects of gravity (fake gravity? :rolleyes: ) then light would have the most gravity of anything because photons accelerate faster than anything, 186,000 miles in a second.

Yeah, because velocity and acceleration are the same thing.  Not.

?

Jie

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 10:47:32 PM »

Photons are really accelerating? I always thought they traveled at a constant speed....  but wait... you said 186,000 miles a second. That's not acceleration, that's velocity.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow, a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called the present" -- Master Oogway, from Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 11:05:57 PM »
What, no FEer wants to explain how the sun doesn't crash into the ground and yet something like a baseball can fall back to earth.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 11:12:16 PM »

Have you ever taken a physics class?

Many.

Please distinguish between gravity and effects of gravity because it appears you are merely equivocating.

Gravity is a psudo force.  What causes the 'force' we feel as gravity is caused by objects accelerating in space time.  

Photons don't accelerate.  You need to take a physics class so that you can see the difference between velocity and acceleration.

Self-correction, photons have the least mass of any particle. They are affected by gravity as evidenced by black holes. My bad.

Photons have a zero invariant mass.  How can your gravity affect it when it has no mass?

Photons accelerate faster than anything else we know of so if acceleration creates gravity (or the effects of gravity as you say) then I doubt any matter could withstand a force like that. Unfortunately you utterly fail to explain your hypothesis of the gravitational effects of acceleration. Tell me what law you have that correlates acceleration gravitational forces while completely ignoring F=ma. Thanks.

Again, velocity is not acceleration.  Come back after you have learned a few things about physics.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 11:17:01 PM »
Velocity is constant if the source is constant. Turn a flashlight on and those photons accelerate pretty damn fast don't they? Curious how that happens with no gravitational effect whatsoever...

Let me get back to the rest later I'm going to eat.
vidence > Faith

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 11:20:07 PM »
Velocity is constant if the source is constant. Turn a flashlight on and those photons accelerate pretty damn fast don't they?

Photons don't accelerate.  They are created going the speed of light. :?

-- Bob Hudson

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 11:28:36 PM »
What, no FEer wants to explain how the sun doesn't crash into the ground and yet something like a baseball can fall back to earth.

The sun's accelerating too.  OMFG that was so hard!

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 11:32:38 PM »
Quote from: "BOGWarrior89"

This guy is incredibly stupid [the guy you are referencing BOG]. He has to stop thinking in RE'er terms and start thinking in FE'er terms; everything becomes easier that way, right?
ah.

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 11:34:12 PM »
Quote from: "SPrinkZ"

This guy is incredibly stupid [the guy you are referencing BOG].

Well, I don't know about that, considering how I've only met the guy.

He has to stop thinking in RE'er terms and start thinking in FE'er terms; everything becomes easier that way, right?

Yes, but he should also read the FAQ.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 11:34:15 PM »

This guy is incredibly stupid [the guy you are referencing BOG]. He has to stop thinking in RE'er terms and start thinking in FE'er terms; everything becomes easier that way, right?

Or he just has to...well...think.

You have to debate on FE terms to get anywhere, but that's already assuming you're bringing something to the table that you can debate.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 11:36:44 PM »
Quote from: "Mephistopheles"

Or he just has to...well...think.

You have to debate on FE terms to get anywhere, but that's already assuming you're bringing something to the table that you can debate.

You're absolutely right. There may be hope for him yet. Let's see if he can grasp onto these pretty easy concepts. I mean crap, FE science is very elegant, and it's not trying to be outside of the grasp of the normal human being.

I find that this is what is so alluring, it explains everything rationally, and with all arguments and possibilities in mind. It's just water tight, and most people can't accept that, like this guy.
ah.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 11:38:08 PM »
It's just water tight, and most people can't accept that, like this guy.

QFT

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 11:39:21 PM »
Quote from: "Rick_James"
It's just water tight, and most people can't accept that, like this guy.

QFT

Haha, I made a pun too. Sorry.
ah.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 11:40:37 PM »
So, what causes all these objects to be accelerating upwards?

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »
So, what causes all these objects to be accelerating upwards?

Read the FAQ.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 11:46:56 PM »
Q: "What about gravity?"

A1: The Earth is accelerating upwards at 1g (9.8m/s-2) along with every star, sun and moon in the universe. This produces the same effect as gravity

OH SO INFORMATIVE. THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT!

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 11:50:02 PM »
The mechanism is unknown.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 11:51:48 PM »
Possibly because there is none, and it's all bullshit?

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 11:55:29 PM »
Q: "What about gravity?"

A1: The Earth is accelerating upwards at 1g (9.8m/s-2) along with every star, sun and moon in the universe. This produces the same effect as gravity

OH SO INFORMATIVE. THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT!

Quote from: "The FAQ"
In the "accelerating upwards" model, the stars, sun and moon are also accelerating upwards.

Thanks for not reading carefully.

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2007, 11:55:34 PM »

Possibly because you refuse to see any logic whatsoever despite the attempts by many to set you away from the path of ignorance and darkness to enlighten you to the reality of truth and light.

We only ask you to actually think about things.  You can do that despite your beliefs about the shape of the planet, I think.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2007, 11:56:12 PM »

Do we have to know EVERYTHING? RE'er science doesn't have all the answers either. For instance, they claim there is this thing called dark energy/dark matter. They are unsure of what it does, or how it affects the universe. Do you know WHY? Because they made it up! If you can believe that crap, then it's not outside of the realm of possible to believe there is an unknown mechanism causing this phenomena in FE'er science. Use your brain for once, isn't it obvious?
ah.

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2007, 11:56:15 PM »

What's the mechanism for RE gravity then?  Oh, you don't know?

Well, looks like we're on equal ground, and General Relativity comes into play.