What do you think about gun control laws?

• 514 Replies

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
Re: What do you think about gun control laws?
« Reply #270 on: March 03, 2022, 11:56:16 PM »
Like i said
Get a knife if you want.
Nunchucks if its the cool factor you want.

Also
Looks like you have a birght future in gymnastics.
Hipe to see you at the next olympics.
Who is really doing more mental gymnastics here? I think it is you, who keeps asserting that tens of thousands (actually probably hundreds of thousands) of people who claim that having a gun saved them are lying or delusional.

I'm guessing more people have been killed by guns than saved by guns.
And why do the vast majority of studies show otherwise?

The studies are all over the place, using different definitions, sample sizes…some say 100k, some say 2.5m, etc. I mean what definition of DGU are you talking about? Lives saved? Bodily harm averted? Property crime averted? Just saying you’re armed, brandishing, patting, holstering, aiming, or actually firing?
It’s a really complex thing. There is no blanket yes or no answer. It very much depends.
I’ve got no problem with people having guns as long as there are very clear rules, regs, licensing requirements, registrations, & training.  More than what we have today.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2022, 06:38:34 AM »
Like i said
Get a knife if you want.

Also
Who is really doing more mental gymnastics here? I think it is you, who keeps asserting that tens of thousands (actually probably hundreds of thousands) of people who claim that having a gun saved them are lying or delusional.

The studies are all over the place, using different definitions, sample sizes…some say 100k, some say 2.5m, etc. I mean what definition of DGU are you talking about? Lives saved? Bodily harm averted? Property crime averted? Just saying you’re armed, brandishing, patting, holstering, aiming, or actually firing?
It’s a really complex thing. There is no blanket yes or no answer. It very much depends.
I’ve got no problem with people having guns as long as there are very clear rules, regs, licensing requirements, registrations, & training.  More than what we have today.
But don't you think the regulations we have are often counter-productive. I mean, many regulations are about banning automated guns, that are precisely those guns that may come useful in self-defense when every second counts. And many regulations are about preventing mentally ill from getting a gun, whereas mentally ill people are more likely to be victims of violent crime and are thus more in need of guns for self-defense.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.
This is my parody of the conspiracy theorists:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71184.0
This is my attempt to refute the Flat-Earth theory:

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #272 on: March 05, 2022, 06:46:48 AM »
Like i said
Get a knife if you want.

Also

But don't you think the regulations we have are often counter-productive. I mean, many regulations are about banning automated guns, that are precisely those guns that may come useful in self-defense when every second counts. And many regulations are about preventing mentally ill from getting a gun, whereas mentally ill people are more likely to be victims of violent crime and are thus more in need of guns for self-defense.

And mentally ill people are also found to be more likely perpetrators of violent crime. They also may be inhibited from judging right and wrong or even reality and non reality. And you want to put automatic guns in their hands? You really are mentally ill if you believe that

So it's clear you believe you should be in possession of a fully automatic gun. Nice.

In society we dont just have personal freedoms. We have civil freedoms. It's how society works. Your personal freedom as a mentally unstable man to own a gun and carry it around fully loaded just to make you feel safer is forfeit in favor of a civil freedom that allows everyone else around you to actually be safer for you and others like you not having a gun

Don't like it? Too bad, so sad. Maybe you can exile yourself from society

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2022, 07:34:47 AM »
Quote from: Masalang the Torpedo
And mentally ill people are also found to be more likely perpetrators of violent crime.
People who read Communist Manifesto are also slightly more likely to be violent criminals and attempt to violently overthrow the government. Should people who read Communist Manifesto therefore also be prevented from owning guns?
Also...
Members of the public exaggerate both the strength of the association between mental illness and violence and their own personal risk. Finally, too little is known about the social contextual determinants of violence, but research supports the view the mentally ill are more often victims than perpetrators of violence.
It is hard to tell whether the link between schizophrenia and violent crime is real, but that link, if it even exists, is definitely exaggerated by the public. At best, you can put it in the same category as the link between reading Communist Manifesto and attempts to violently overthrow the government.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2022, 08:11:03 AM »
And mentally ill people are also found to be more likely perpetrators of violent crime.
People who read Communist Manifesto are also slightly more likely to be violent criminals and attempt to violently overthrow the government. Should people who read Communist Manifesto therefore also be prevented from owning guns?
Also...
Members of the public exaggerate both the strength of the association between mental illness and violence and their own personal risk. Finally, too little is known about the social contextual determinants of violence, but research supports the view the mentally ill are more often victims than perpetrators of violence.
It is hard to tell whether the link between schizophrenia and violent crime is real, but that link, if it even exists, is definitely exaggerated by the public. At best, you can put it in the same category as the link between reading Communist Manifesto and attempts to violently overthrow the government.

What kind of violent risk are they subjected to? Mugging? Or assault occasioning death.. If some dickhead punches you in the head and demands your wallet and phone do you think having a gun and using it is reasonable? Do you think having that gun makes you safer? Do you think perhaps having that gun could also make you a target?

If someone knows you have a gun, whats to stop them bullrushing you by surprise, taking that gun and using it on you? Or making sure when they hit you, it's to finish you off to prevent any chance you could threaten them with the gun?

I would also hazard a guess that the fact that everyone owns a gun in America makes police a lot more nervous and more likely to use them. Like that Aussie woman who called for the police to report a suspected assault and was shot dead as she approached the police car because the police got scared
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Justine_Damond

What a shitty society

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2022, 08:24:46 AM »
Again with th autmoatic weappn as psw?
Uggh

Ok
What gun woukd you get,  if you had your choice????

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2022, 11:43:00 AM »
Like i said
Get a knife if you want.

Also

Automatic guns are primarily for suppression fire - a hail of bullets. In the hands of a highly trained, skilled individual, yes, discriminate targeting capabilities for sure.
Have you ever shot a gun of any sort? I suspect not considering you once thought guns didn't exist. I have. As a kid, I shot skeet. 20 and 12 gauge shotguns. I also shot an AK at a dude ranch in Northern California (Why and how they had an AK, I didn't ask), though in semi-automatic mode, not automatic. I'll tell you, considering I was untrained, I couldn't hit shit with any accuracy due to the kick. That thing was all over the place. An automatic is not for self defense especially in the hands of someone not extremely well trained to use one.

As for mental illness, I'm not worried about the mentally ill committing a crime with a gun, I'm concerned about their judgement when in possession of one. Take schizophrenia, symptoms: Delusions, Hallucinations, Disorganized thinking. I would be fearful of someone with that disorder, brandishing an automatic weapon, of all things, in a self-defense situation, having the required laser focus and judgement to make the right decisions whilst spraying a room with bullets.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2022, 12:41:30 AM »
Do you think perhaps having that gun could also make you a target?
How could it? This is like saying being physically stronger makes you a target, isn't it?
If someone knows you have a gun, whats to stop them bullrushing you by surprise, taking that gun and using it on you?
Because... it is risky to try that?
I would also hazard a guess that the fact that everyone owns a gun in America makes police a lot more nervous and more likely to use them.
Sorry, but you cannot use one big government policy (that is the police) to justify the another (that is gun control).
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2022, 12:48:58 AM »
How could it? This is like saying being physically stronger makes you a target, isn't it?
If someone knows you have a gun, whats to stop them bullrushing you by surprise, taking that gun and using it on you?
I would also hazard a guess that the fact that everyone owns a gun in America makes police a lot more nervous and more likely to use them.
Sorry, but you cannot use one big government policy (that is the police) to justify the another (that is gun control).

Guns are valuable and useful to a criminal. So what if it's risky. Dimwits also try to take a policemans guns from their holster from time to time. Risky?

You clearly want a gun. In your mentally deranged state your risk assessment capacity might be on holiday and you might try to take a gun too

If someone doesn't have a gun, a common thug might not escalate a confrontation to murder. But if you have a gun, they might be a thug, they might be in the wrong, but all of a sudden, they now have a lawful reason to kill you in self defense.

Also again, if someone wants you dead - there's not much you can do except look over your shoulder all the time, never sleep and get someone else to start your car every day. You having a gun would just make them more careful

Also you still haven't answered what exactly gun you want? Do you think you even need to be trained? Exactly how far have you thought this through? Do you think putting guns in totally untrained hands is safe and reasonable?

Know your place

« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2022, 05:57:40 AM »

Rosenbaum thought he could take the gun from rittenhouse.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #280 on: March 06, 2022, 06:44:39 AM »

Rosenbaum thought he could take the gun from rittenhouse.

Interesting that if Kyle was shot dead himself, the person who shot him could have got off on self defense of themself or others. But Kyle killed several people in 'self defense' himself even if he was an antagonist.

Know your place

« Reply #281 on: March 06, 2022, 06:56:25 AM »
He was not the antagonist nor agressor.

He was avictom of fox news and alt right media.

But to this thread ritten was a littlle guy that rosen thought he could bully.

« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2022, 07:02:50 AM »
Ive been eyeballing the ruger pcc.
Solid stock for butting.
Takedown to prevent kiddos from getting it
Light for the wife
Cop mags for post apoc supply
Close-med range fire for urban use.
Reviews say reliable.
For the zombie apocolypse.

What gun you want flatass?

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #283 on: March 06, 2022, 11:19:20 PM »

Guns are valuable and useful to a criminal. So what if it's risky. Dimwits also try to take a policemans guns from their holster from time to time. Risky?

You clearly want a gun. In your mentally deranged state your risk assessment capacity might be on holiday and you might try to take a gun too

If someone doesn't have a gun, a common thug might not escalate a confrontation to murder. But if you have a gun, they might be a thug, they might be in the wrong, but all of a sudden, they now have a lawful reason to kill you in self defense.

Also again, if someone wants you dead - there's not much you can do except look over your shoulder all the time, never sleep and get someone else to start your car every day. You having a gun would just make them more careful

Also you still haven't answered what exactly gun you want? Do you think you even need to be trained? Exactly how far have you thought this through? Do you think putting guns in totally untrained hands is safe and reasonable?
So, do you think the police officers and security personell should not be carrying guns because it supposedly makes them a more likely target?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #284 on: March 07, 2022, 12:26:22 AM »

So, do you think the police officers and security personell should not be carrying guns because it supposedly makes them a more likely target?

If you possessed more than a functioning brain cell you would know that that's not what I was getting at. You do you, I suppose

Know your place

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2022, 04:32:32 AM »

If you possessed more than a functioning brain cell you would know that that's not what I was getting at. You do you, I suppose
I know that's not what you are getting at, but that's what's implied. If you say gun might make people who carry them less safe, the implication is that police officers might also be less safe because of carrying a gun.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #286 on: March 08, 2022, 04:38:03 AM »

I know that's not what you are getting at, but that's what's implied. If you say gun might make people who carry them less safe, the implication is that police officers might also be less safe because of carrying a gun.

If teachers in schools all had a gun, for example, would the school be safer from guns?
Where I live, almost no one bar the police has a gun. The chances of me being a victim of gun violence is far lower than say if I was in America where most people do have a gun. I can go out for a jog and not have to worry some bored punk teenagers will shoot me in the back for a laugh

You still haven't told us what gun you want. So what gun do you want?

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #287 on: March 08, 2022, 06:04:18 AM »
Yes, carrying a gun might make you less safe. Even police officers could have their guns taken and used against them, but they are supposed to be more trained than the average gun owner. It still happens sometimes. Acknowledging this doesn't mean they should or shouldn't be allowed to carry guns.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #288 on: March 08, 2022, 07:24:56 AM »
what gun you want?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #289 on: March 09, 2022, 06:12:05 AM »
An issue I have been thinking a lot about lately is gun control. Should Croatia, the country where I live, pass stricter gun control laws?

"Gun Control", or Self Defense restrictions?
Are you going to need to start killing Russians any time soon?

There are people who, right now, need specific tools to remain alive.

How dare you tell another man he has no right to defend his life and the lives of his family.

My favorite quote:  "when seconds matter, police are only minutes away".

« Reply #290 on: March 09, 2022, 06:26:23 AM »
You need gun control if you have gun problems or very loud/ rich complainers...
Govt are usually reactive.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #291 on: March 09, 2022, 12:36:25 PM »

My favourite quote is: If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving. It has no relevance here but is probably a more interesting subject..
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2022, 01:24:26 PM »

My favourite quote is: If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving. It has no relevance here but is probably a more interesting subject..

As is said, "It's not the fall, it's the sudden stop".

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2022, 01:32:34 PM »

I've gone sky diving a few times. Fun. Totally recommend.

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #294 on: March 26, 2022, 05:48:53 PM »

As is said, "It's not the fall, it's the sudden stop".

It's really part of you suddenly stopping while the rest of you keeps going (for a fraction of a second longer) that is the problem.  If your entire body stopped all at once you would be fine.

Stupid physics.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #295 on: March 26, 2022, 06:53:07 PM »

My mother's one of VERY many boyfriends, Frank Gore, had a dick friend, Scott.  He came to intrude on my home. Stayed for 7 days. Brought his blonde skanky ho with him. Susan.

He was a skydiver.  Her, not so much  So, wtf, I bought a 5,200 foot seat in a piper cub.  Just to ride, not to jump.   

There was no door.  I was with my back against the firewall.  My left leg dangling out the missing side of the plane.

I was 14.  First time in an airplane.  Safety reasons, I had to wear a para shoot.

Here's the awesome part . . . . . . .

We dumped the fall people and ran off for a bit.   
Pilot tipped 90 degrees to port and fell 4000 feet

Weightless, my left leg wiggling in the dead fall wind.

Again, first time in an airplane. 

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #296 on: April 26, 2022, 03:37:02 AM »

Here's a graph that you couldn't replicate in any other western country.

Leading Causes of Death among Children and Adolescents in the United States, 1999 through 2020. from the CDC.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2201761

Click to enlarge.

From the office of national statistics (UK), "In 2020, the main causes of death among children aged 28 days to 15 years continued to be congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities."

Not being blown away, or blowing yourself away with a purpose built killing machine found laying around the house, go freedumb!

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/childhoodinfantandperinatalmortalityinenglandandwales/2020
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

?

appletoast

• Round Earther, honest, open debate only
« Reply #297 on: April 26, 2022, 10:18:10 AM »
Here's a graph that you couldn't replicate in any other western country.

The graph proves nothing whatsoever about legal gun ownership.

Criminals, strangely, don't abide by the rule of law... and that includes gun control laws.

So, how does the graph you posted deal with sorting out gang violence using illegal guns?

https://safeatlast.co/blog/gang-violence-statistics/

Or guns that filtered in through the drug cartels running the Southern Border?

https://ips-dc.org/arms_trafficking_at_the_us-mexico_border/

Please note, the drug cartels are getting firearms from the US Government.... so, at least address that aspect.

Gun Violence from American citizens who are legal gun owners is practically zero.
appletoast is delicious

« Reply #298 on: April 26, 2022, 10:44:29 AM »
all great NRA talking points.
say something new.

hwo about we move this conversation forward instead of starting from scratch.
you tell us who you are so we can start from any previous interactions.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #299 on: April 26, 2022, 10:45:03 AM »
Isn't the point discussed regarding gun control laws?

Legal or illegal, the death toll of children by guns is shocking and you cant just pretend it's a non issue just because the guns were illegally obtained/used. It's because of the shitty almost non existent gun control laws that has put guns in the hands of child gangs in the first place.

Gun control laws work
https://www.jcu.edu.au/news/releases/2018/october/tough-laws-prevent-gun-deaths

Although the case of America would be a tall order given it has embedded it so deeply in its culture. You get the damn things as Christmas presents lol

In Australia it is not impossible to own a gun. I could probably get access to one but I'd need a genuine reason (of which self defense is not one), training, a license and not be an ex crim or suffering mental illness

America glorifies that each private citizen can have many many guns and even more ammunition that could take on a small army. That isn't even what the 2nd Amendment was talking about but its been twisted and now you all think its your divine right lol

You dont bring a knife to a gun fight - you dont bring a gun to a drone fight. If you think all your guns could give your government pause to over step its authority well I say 2 things. 1. Drones that can fly higher than commercial aircraft and can just bomb your house from above. Your guns mean f&#k all. And 2, America is sliding into embracing authoritarianism as evidenced by tens of millions of people love of Trump and support of his insurrection attempt. A lot of you guys want a strongman dictator as a leader lol

Know your place