Jwst launches in less than 3 hours

• 1802 Replies
Re: Jwst launches in less than 3 hours
« Reply #600 on: February 22, 2022, 03:56:14 PM »

The JWST is just 16 mirrors that produce one image of what is looked at, incl. planet Venus.

Heiwa is dactylly challenged and only has 4 digits on each hand and foot. That's why he can't count to 18.

Oh, yeah. He's also missing his dick.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #601 on: February 22, 2022, 04:14:19 PM »

The JWST is just 16 mirrors that produce one image of what is looked at, incl. planet Venus.

Heiwa is dactylly challenged and only has 4 digits on each hand and foot. That's why he can't count to 18.

Citation required.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #602 on: February 22, 2022, 05:16:54 PM »

Citation required.

Citation

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #603 on: February 22, 2022, 05:35:00 PM »

Technically, its 3 mirrors with the primary mirror being made up of 18 segments.
What Kind of Telescope Is Webb?

Webb is what is known as a three mirror anastigmat telescope. In this configuration, the primary mirror is concave, the secondary is convex, and it works slightly off-axis. The tertiary removes the resulting astigmatism and also flattens the focal plane. This also allows for a wider field of view.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #604 on: February 22, 2022, 05:39:37 PM »
Each of those segments is a mirror. So I guess it's a 20-mirror telescope, and 18 of them just Megazord themselves.

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #605 on: February 22, 2022, 05:52:58 PM »
Anyway the JWST mirrors reflect IR-light from the end of the Universe billions of light years away, when they are adjusted, and one day we will see a color picture of it. And then all is clear and explained.
It would have been easier to put the JWST on the Moon with its clear weather every day, but maybe it was too close to Earth then? No, L2 is the perfect location. ROTFL.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #606 on: February 22, 2022, 06:11:03 PM »
Anyway the JWST mirrors reflect IR-light from the end of the Universe
*beginning. One day, you'll get it. I'm proud of you, your efforts are going to pay off one day.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #607 on: February 22, 2022, 06:14:38 PM »
It would have been easier to put the JWST on the Moon with its clear weather every day, but maybe it was too close to Earth then?
Why would anyone in their right mind put an infrared telescope on the moon where it would receive daylight for 2 weeks at a time?  Despite the name of the Pink Floyd album, there is no dark side of the moon.

Heiwa

« Reply #608 on: February 22, 2022, 10:28:26 PM »
It would have been easier to put the JWST on the Moon with its clear weather every day, but maybe it was too close to Earth then?
Why would anyone in their right mind put an infrared telescope on the moon where it would receive daylight for 2 weeks at a time?  Despite the name of the Pink Floyd album, there is no dark side of the moon.
Hm, the Sun shines on the Moon all the time (except if Earth is in the way) and the universe around it. It is a perfect place to study the universe because there is no atmosphere filtering the light. If you are afraid of sun heat radiation, you just put a parasol/heat shield above the JWST as protection. And if you are afraid of the coldness, you fit a heater. I cannot understand why ESA/NASA chose L2 as viewing point. The Moon is much better ... if you can get there without crashing when landing.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #609 on: February 23, 2022, 12:56:33 AM »
thus spake Björkman . . .

« Reply #610 on: February 23, 2022, 01:38:28 AM »

Hm, the Sun shines on the Moon all the time (except if Earth is in the way) and the universe around it. It is a perfect place to study the universe because there is no atmosphere filtering the light. If you are afraid of sun heat radiation, you just put a parasol/heat shield above the JWST as protection.

Yep. If I want to cool my beer to -370F when the overhead sun is making my mug and all the surrounding landscape >200F, then I “just put a parasol” over it as protection.

Good thing those tanker designs don’t count on you for any thermal analysis.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #611 on: February 23, 2022, 01:53:17 AM »
Putting a parasol over a telescope kinda defeats the purpose. 

Heiwa

« Reply #612 on: February 23, 2022, 03:06:14 AM »
No, the parasol stops the telescope from heating up by direct sun radiation. Ok, heat of the Sun is also reflected from the surface of the moon, so you have to consider that too.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #613 on: February 23, 2022, 03:19:25 AM »
No, the parasol stops the telescope from heating up by direct sun radiation. Ok, heat of the Sun is also reflected from the surface of the moon, so you have to consider that too.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #614 on: February 23, 2022, 06:45:35 AM »

Citation required.

Citation

All seems to be in order here.

« Reply #615 on: February 23, 2022, 07:26:31 AM »

So you’ve just answered one aspect as to why put JWST at L2. The Moon is not an appropriate thermal environment. Neither is Earth orbit. L2 is.

Heiwa

« Reply #616 on: February 23, 2022, 08:24:14 AM »

So you’ve just answered one aspect as to why put JWST at L2. The Moon is not an appropriate thermal environment. Neither is Earth orbit. L2 is.

Not really. If L2 is really in the shadow of Earth/Moon, it very cold there with no need for a heat shield. Solar panels are useless at L2. But you'll no doubt say that JWST orbits L2! As soon it is exposed to the Sun, a parasol is enough protection as long as you look in the other direction. Never look at the Sun, when flying in space. Your eye will melt. I know that the asstronuts had sun glasses on the Moon, even if they were hard to fit with the gloves used.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #617 on: February 23, 2022, 08:37:54 AM »

If L2 is really in the shadow of Earth/Moon,

It's not.

« Reply #618 on: February 23, 2022, 10:33:38 AM »

Not really. If L2 is really in the shadow of Earth/Moon, it very cold there with no need for a heat shield. Solar panels are useless at L2. But you'll no doubt say that JWST orbits L2! As soon it is exposed to the Sun, a parasol is enough protection as long as you look in the other direction.

You're beginning to have the basics of comprehension, but you don't remember what you said previously. Or what others have said previously.

By "at L2" yes I meant orbiting it so that solar panels will work. Yes, a parasol works there because in the other direction is 4 degree Kelvin space that heat can be radiated to and from which no incoming heat load exists. That is not the case in your example of JWST lounging under a parasol on the surface of the Moon. Or in orbit around the Moon. Or in orbit around the Earth.

Hopefully you've learned just a little bit more today and won't be such a doofus in future. We can hope.

Heiwa

« Reply #619 on: February 23, 2022, 11:07:27 AM »

Calen

• Friend of Dorothy
« Reply #620 on: February 23, 2022, 11:37:05 AM »
No, it's not.  It specifically avoids Earth's shadow to avoid thermal stress due changes in temperature.  You have been told this before.
S'ils te font de la peine, je les tuerai sans gêne.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!

« Reply #622 on: February 23, 2022, 12:11:16 PM »

It's not.
It is.

It's not.

Heiwa is playing pedantic games. L2 is in Earth's shadow; JWST (and other spacecraft) trace a halo orbit around L2 and are not in Earth's shadow.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #623 on: February 23, 2022, 03:14:59 PM »
Hm, the Sun shines on the Moon all the time (except if Earth is in the way) and the universe around it. It is a perfect place to study the universe because there is no atmosphere filtering the light. If you are afraid of sun heat radiation, you just put a parasol/heat shield above the JWST as protection. And if you are afraid of the coldness, you fit a heater. I cannot understand why ESA/NASA chose L2 as viewing point. The Moon is much better ... if you can get there without crashing when landing.
You have no idea of the conditions required for infrared astronomy, do you?

BTW, doesn't one of your "challenges" say that it's impossible to land on the moon?

It's not.
It is.
The L2 point is in earth's shadow.  JWST's orbit around L2 is not.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 03:16:55 PM by markjo »

Heiwa

« Reply #624 on: February 23, 2022, 04:03:30 PM »
You have no idea of the conditions required for infrared astronomy, do you?

BTW, doesn't one of your "challenges" say that it's impossible to land on the moon?

It's not.
It is.
The L2 point is in earth's shadow.  JWST's orbit around L2 is not.
Thanks for questions and comments.
No, infrared astronomy is same as visible light astronomy, as far as I see from my window, even if my eyes cannot see IR light. I don't expect that the secrets of the Universe are in the IR range. Or anywhere. The Universe is infinite with no end.
Yes, landing on the Moon will result in a crash and is not a way to visit the Moon. Nobody has won my funny €1M Challenge about it. Nobody has ever landed on the Moon and survived. But plenty fools say they have done it.
L2 is just a point in the Universe in the shadow of planet Earth. You cannot orbit around such a shady point. But plenty fools say they do it right now in the heat of the Sun and are adjusting a telescope to watch the Universe in IR color. I think it is hilarious ... and a fraud/hoax.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #625 on: February 23, 2022, 04:09:56 PM »
infrared astronomy is same as visible light astronomy, as far as I see from my window, even if my eyes cannot see IR light.
Yes, you would see infrared light equally as well with your eyes looking from space as you would using them on Earth, but that's why this telescope can see different wavelengths than you can. It has better eyesight than you ever had in the visible AND infrared part if the spectrum, and a more isolated location to collect all those delicious photons.

Heiwa

« Reply #626 on: February 23, 2022, 07:21:43 PM »
infrared astronomy is same as visible light astronomy, as far as I see from my window, even if my eyes cannot see IR light.
Yes, you would see infrared light equally as well with your eyes looking from space as you would using them on Earth, but that's why this telescope can see different wavelengths than you can. It has better eyesight than you ever had in the visible AND infrared part if the spectrum, and a more isolated location to collect all those delicious photons.
I am sorry that I cannot go to L2 and from there watch the end and beginning of the Universe in IR using a telescope. Actually nothing can fly to L2 and watch anything from there. The JWST and it's handlers are a fraud and cannot explain anything of it.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #627 on: February 23, 2022, 07:26:53 PM »
I am sorry that I cannot go to L2
That's OK. As luck would have it, there's a piece of equipment that can see better than you could even in your younger days that recently arrived in that vicinity. All you have to do is sit back and wait for the images to start rolling in, then you can use your eyes to see the images it was able to capture. I'm sure they'll all be shared on a very popular website that gets many visitors.

Heiwa

« Reply #628 on: February 23, 2022, 10:20:51 PM »
I am sorry that I cannot go to L2
That's OK. As luck would have it, there's a piece of equipment that can see better than you could even in your younger days that recently arrived in that vicinity. All you have to do is sit back and wait for the images to start rolling in, then you can use your eyes to see the images it was able to capture. I'm sure they'll all be shared on a very popular website that gets many visitors.
I agree. Imagine! Pictures of the end and beginning of the Universe. In IR! Taken orbiting L2.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #629 on: February 24, 2022, 12:57:37 AM »
The Universe is infinite with no end.

How can Earth be at the center of the Universe if the Universe is infinite with no end therefore there is no center?

Is the bot really that stupid?