Jwst launches in less than 3 hours

• 1802 Replies

Calen

• Friend of Dorothy
Re: Jwst launches in less than 3 hours
« Reply #270 on: January 25, 2022, 04:56:12 AM »
In space you are either in or out of any shade. Light just travels straight in space. So you are either completely in the shade or not in the shade, i.e. in the light, when in space.

Ignoring of course the entire galaxy of stars shining light in every direction.

The famous L2 point in space is always in the shade of the Earth blocking the Sun behind.
So the JWST at L2 will be in the shade of the Earth when looking at the end of the Universe far away. But I have never understood why I have to go to point L2 to find out. I just look out of my window on Earth to study the end of the Universe above me. Of course today it is cloudy between me and the end of the Universe, but it will clear up.

Ignoring, again, that the JWST is not located at L2, but in a halo orbit around L2, and is not in Earth's shadow.  JWST is orbiting the L2 point so that the Sun, Earth and Moon are always within a small angular distance if each other behind the telescope's field if view.
S'ils te font de la peine, je les tuerai sans gêne.

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #271 on: January 25, 2022, 07:34:36 AM »
In space you are either in or out of any shade. Light just travels straight in space. So you are either completely in the shade or not in the shade, i.e. in the light, when in space.

The famous L2 point in space is always in the shade of the Earth blocking the Sun behind.
So the JWST at L2 will be in the shade of the Earth when looking at the end of the Universe far away. But I have never understood why I have to go to point L2 to find out. I just look out of my window on Earth to study the end of the Universe above me. Of course today it is cloudy between me and the end of the Universe, but it will clear up.

Ignoring, again, that the JWST is not located at L2, but in a halo orbit around L2, and is not in Earth's shadow.  JWST is orbiting the L2 point so that the Sun, Earth and Moon are always within a small angular distance if each other behind the telescope's field if view.
ESA/NASA tell us that the JWST orbits the Sun at the L2 point with the Earth in between all the time and that the Earth looks like a Black Hole/Disque  in front of the Sun, i.e. JWST is in the shadow of Earth all the time, when it looks at the end of the Universe in the other direction. Just looking out of my window I can see the end of the Universe in the sky above me. At night I can see billions of bright stars from my window but it is still pitch dark at the ground below me. Anyway, when the JWST otbits the Sun at the L2 point, it also orbits the L2 point itself, i.e. the JWST orbits two things at the same time, i.e. the Sun and the L2 point. But you can only orbit one thing at a time! Orbiting two things at the same time is not possible.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #272 on: January 25, 2022, 07:55:04 AM »
At night I can see billions of bright stars from my window but it is still pitch dark at the ground below me.

Bullshit

That's all the stars you can see from your staring window. You dont see as much or as far as you think

And your vision that only sees in the visible light spectrum.... You miss a lot of detail and information

That is why we like to send telescopes that can detect far more information than the human eye is capable of seeing.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Heiwa

« Reply #273 on: January 25, 2022, 08:26:02 AM »
At night I can see billions of bright stars from my window but it is still pitch dark at the ground below me.

Bullshit

That's all the stars you can see from your staring window. You dont see as much or as far as you think

And your vision that only sees in the visible light spectrum.... You miss a lot of detail and information

That is why we like to send telescopes that can detect far more information than the human eye is capable of seeing.
So you say I cannot see the end of the Universe from my window. I thought it was just outside far away.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #274 on: January 25, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »
So you say I cannot see the end of the Universe from my window. I thought it was just outside far away.

For individual objects such as stars, you cant see much more than a few thousand light years away. And that would be on a night with no other light pollution. Our galaxy is 100K light years across so you aren't ever able to see ~99% of the stars here. Not without help from a telescope anyway

The furthest light you might ever see is from the Andromeda galaxy - only because you have the light of many billions of stars. But again, you cant see it if there is light pollution outside.

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

?

frenat

« Reply #275 on: January 25, 2022, 09:10:25 AM »
Back on topic, JWST is just a few hours from its L2 orbit insertion burn.
https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html
The best with the L2 point is that it is 100% in the cold shade of the Sun behind planet Earth at -350F or -212C. When the JWST is hit by the Sun it warms up to +50C. Vaccum space is such a wonderful place to watch the end of the universe from.
Not completely in the shade

https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/57377/is-l2-at-a-distance-where-the-earth-totally-eclipses-the-sun

And heiwa proves only that he didn't read the link provided.

?

frenat

« Reply #276 on: January 25, 2022, 09:12:37 AM »

ESA/NASA tell us that the JWST orbits the Sun at the L2 point with the Earth in between all the time and that the Earth looks like a Black Hole/Disque  in front of the Sun, i.e. JWST is in the shadow of Earth all the time, when it looks at the end of the Universe in the other direction. Just looking out of my window I can see the end of the Universe in the sky above me. At night I can see billions of bright stars from my window but it is still pitch dark at the ground below me. Anyway, when the JWST otbits the Sun at the L2 point, it also orbits the L2 point itself, i.e. the JWST orbits two things at the same time, i.e. the Sun and the L2 point. But you can only orbit one thing at a time! Orbiting two things at the same time is not possible.

Wrong. All satellites orbiting the Earth are also orbiting the Sun. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean nobody else does.

Heiwa

« Reply #277 on: January 25, 2022, 12:07:23 PM »

Wrong. All satellites orbiting the Earth are also orbiting the Sun. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean nobody else does.
Satellites orbiting the Earth do not orbit the Sun. It is only the Earth that orbits the Sun (or vice versa).

Heiwa

« Reply #278 on: January 25, 2022, 12:14:48 PM »

For individual objects such as stars, you cant see much more than a few thousand light years away. And that would be on a night with no other light pollution. Our galaxy is 100K light years across so you aren't ever able to see ~99% of the stars here. Not without help from a telescope anyway

The furthest light you might ever see is from the Andromeda galaxy - only because you have the light of many billions of stars. But again, you cant see it if there is light pollution outside.
But from the L2 point you can see outside the Milky Way galaxy and the end of the Universe, you say, as there is no light pollution at L2? Please, grow up!
Actually there is no way to fly to L2, start orbiting around L2 and then start looking at the end of the Universe from L2. It is pure fantasy of the people involved stealing the money to do it.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #279 on: January 25, 2022, 12:33:39 PM »
ESA/NASA tell us that the JWST orbits the Sun at the L2 point with the Earth in between all the time and that the Earth looks like a Black Hole/Disque  in front of the Sun, i.e. JWST is in the shadow of Earth all the time, when it looks at the end of the Universe in the other direction. J

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #280 on: January 25, 2022, 12:46:33 PM »

But from the L2 point you can see outside the Milky Way galaxy and the end of the Universe, you say, as there is no light pollution at L2? Please, grow up!
Actually there is no way to fly to L2, start orbiting around L2 and then start looking at the end of the Universe from L2. It is pure fantasy of the people involved stealing the money to do it.

Idiot. Where did I say you can see the end of the universe from the L2 point?

You claim you can see it from your nursing home window and now you tell me to 'grow up' at the notion of seeing it from the L2 lol.

Keep your trolling straight

To see far into the universe you need a big fucking telescope. And you need it to see in wave lengths far beyond the human range

If you can't keep your trolling character straight, just don't bother and talk about your moon landing hoax nonsense

Know your place

« Reply #281 on: January 25, 2022, 01:18:33 PM »

Since it has already been done, your "actually" is the only fantasy.

You have nothing to back up your statement. The scientific community worldwide has tens of thousands of measurements over >15 years of observations.

You lose.

?

frenat

« Reply #282 on: January 25, 2022, 02:14:32 PM »

Satellites orbiting the Earth do not orbit the Sun. It is only the Earth that orbits the Sun (or vice versa).
Still wrong

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #283 on: January 25, 2022, 03:33:05 PM »
So the JWST at L2 will be in the shade of the Earth when looking at the end of the Universe far away.
Who told you that JWST will be looking at the end of the universe?  If anything, it will be collecting light from very near the beginning of the universe.

But I have never understood why I have to go to point L2 to find out.
They didn't "have to" put JWST in orbit around L2, but there are advantages that make it worth the effort.
So why send Webb to orbit Sun-Earth L2? Because it is an ideal location for an infrared observatory. At Sun-Earth L2, the Sun and Earth (and Moon, too) are always on one side of space, allowing Webb to keep its telescope optics and instruments perpetually shaded. This enables them to get cold for infrared sensitivity, yet still access nearly half the sky at any given moment for observations.

I just look out of my window on Earth to study the end of the Universe above me. Of course today it is cloudy between me and the end of the Universe, but it will clear up.
Space based telescopes don't have to worry about cloudy nights or light pollution from city lights.  In fact, they don't even have to worry about waiting for night, so they can make observations 24 hours a day.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Heiwa

« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2022, 07:11:23 PM »

You have nothing to back up your statement. The scientific community worldwide has tens of thousands of measurements over >15 years of observations.

You lose.
No. There is no evidence that the JWST is orbiting L2.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #285 on: January 25, 2022, 07:15:31 PM »
Heiwa what do you mean by 'Earth that orbits the Sun (or vice versa).'

How can it be both?

Know your place

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #286 on: January 25, 2022, 07:32:34 PM »
Yes, there is evidence.  You just don't have access to it.  Get over it.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Heiwa

« Reply #287 on: January 25, 2022, 10:55:37 PM »
Well, show the evidence!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #288 on: January 25, 2022, 10:59:23 PM »

How can it be both?

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #289 on: January 26, 2022, 12:40:28 AM »
Well, show the evidence!

JWST on New Year's Eve 2021.
Gianluca Masi/Virtual Telescope Project

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope is visible at L2 in this image, seen as a tiny white speck next to the arrow. (Image credit: Gianluca Masi/The Virtual Telescope Project)

Heiwa

« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2022, 03:52:07 AM »
Well, show the evidence!

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope is visible at L2 in this image, seen as a tiny white speck next to the arrow. (Image credit: Gianluca Masi/The Virtual Telescope Project)

But where is the evidence? The https://www.virtualtelescope.eu/ is just another hoax based on Earth asking for money. It is a joke.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:57:26 AM by Heiwa »

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #291 on: January 26, 2022, 03:52:59 AM »

How can it be both?

Know your place

« Reply #292 on: January 26, 2022, 10:03:03 AM »

You lose.

I never said anything about JWST. Your claim was that it "there is no way to fly to L2, start orbiting around L2 and then start looking at the end of the Universe from L2." Both NASA, ESA, Russia have already done this, and the evidence is the >15 years of observations from multiple spacecraft observatories, including Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe, Herschel, Planck, Gaia, Spektr-RG.

All you have is a blanket statement that something can't be done.

You lose. Again.

Heiwa

« Reply #293 on: January 26, 2022, 10:13:08 AM »

You lose.

I never said anything about JWST. Your claim was that it "there is no way to fly to L2, start orbiting around L2 and then start looking at the end of the Universe from L2." Both NASA, ESA, Russia have already done this, and the evidence is the >15 years of observations from multiple spacecraft observatories, including Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe, Herschel, Planck, Gaia, Spektr-RG.

You lose. Again.
Yes, I must have missed spacecraft observatories like Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe, Herschel, Planck, Gaia, Spektr-RG. What did they see from L2?

« Reply #294 on: January 26, 2022, 10:19:57 AM »

You lose.

You lose. Again.
Yes, I must have missed spacecraft observatories like Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe, Herschel, Planck, Gaia, Spektr-RG. What did they see from L2?

For a start ... looked at the end of the universe.

WMAP key achievements:
The WMAP science team has

... has put the "precision" in "precision cosmology" by reducing the allowed volume of cosmological parameters by a factor in excess of 68,000. The three most highly cited physics and astronomy papers published in the new millennium are WMAP scientific papers--- reflecting WMAP's enormous impact.

…mapped the pattern of tiny fluctuations in the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation (the oldest light in the universe) and produced the first fine-resolution (0.2 degree) full-sky map of the microwave sky.

…determined the universe to be 13.77 billion years old to within a half percent.

…nailed down the curvature of space to within 0.4% of "flat" Euclidean.

…determined that ordinary atoms (also called baryons) make up only 4.6% of the universe.

…completed a census of the universe and finds that dark matter (matter not made up of atoms) is 24.0%

…determined that dark energy, in the form of a cosmological constant, makes up 71.4% of the universe, causing the expansion rate of the universe to speed up. - "Lingering doubts about the existence of dark energy and the composition of the universe dissolved when the WMAP satellite took the most detailed picture ever of the cosmic microwave background (CMB)." - Science Magazine 2003, "Breakthrough of the Year" article

… mapped the polarization of the microwave radiation over the full sky and discovered that the universe was reionized earlier than previously believed. - "WMAP scores on large-scale structure. By measuring the polarization in the CMB it is possible to look at the amplitude of the fluctuations of density in the universe that produced the first galaxies. That is a real breakthrough in our understanding of the origin of structure." - ScienceWatch: "What's Hot in Physics", Simon Mitton, Mar./Apr. 2008.

…detected that the amplitude of the variations in the density of the universe on big scales is slightly larger than smaller scales. This, along with other results, supports "inflation", the idea is that the universe underwent a dramatic period of expansion, growing by more than a trillion trillion fold in less than a trillionth of a trillionth of a second. Tiny fluctuations were generated during this expansion that eventually grew to form galaxies.

… determined that the distribution of these fluctuations follows a bell curve with the same properties across the sky, and that there are equal numbers of hot and cold spots in the map. The simplest version of the inflation idea predicted these properties and remarkably, WMAP’s precision measurement of the properties of the fluctuations has confirmed these predictions, in detail.

And you have ...?

Heiwa

« Reply #295 on: January 26, 2022, 11:10:29 AM »

You lose.

You lose. Again.

For a start ... looked at the end of the universe.

WMAP key achievements:
The WMAP science team has

... has put the "precision" in "precision cosmology" by reducing the allowed volume of cosmological parameters by a factor in excess of 68,000. The three most highly cited physics and astronomy papers published in the new millennium are WMAP scientific papers--- reflecting WMAP's enormous impact.

…mapped the pattern of tiny fluctuations in the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation (the oldest light in the universe) and produced the first fine-resolution (0.2 degree) full-sky map of the microwave sky.

…determined the universe to be 13.77 billion years old to within a half percent.

…nailed down the curvature of space to within 0.4% of "flat" Euclidean.

…determined that ordinary atoms (also called baryons) make up only 4.6% of the universe.

…completed a census of the universe and finds that dark matter (matter not made up of atoms) is 24.0%

…determined that dark energy, in the form of a cosmological constant, makes up 71.4% of the universe, causing the expansion rate of the universe to speed up. - "Lingering doubts about the existence of dark energy and the composition of the universe dissolved when the WMAP satellite took the most detailed picture ever of the cosmic microwave background (CMB)." - Science Magazine 2003, "Breakthrough of the Year" article

… mapped the polarization of the microwave radiation over the full sky and discovered that the universe was reionized earlier than previously believed. - "WMAP scores on large-scale structure. By measuring the polarization in the CMB it is possible to look at the amplitude of the fluctuations of density in the universe that produced the first galaxies. That is a real breakthrough in our understanding of the origin of structure." - ScienceWatch: "What's Hot in Physics", Simon Mitton, Mar./Apr. 2008.

…detected that the amplitude of the variations in the density of the universe on big scales is slightly larger than smaller scales. This, along with other results, supports "inflation", the idea is that the universe underwent a dramatic period of expansion, growing by more than a trillion trillion fold in less than a trillionth of a trillionth of a second. Tiny fluctuations were generated during this expansion that eventually grew to form galaxies.

… determined that the distribution of these fluctuations follows a bell curve with the same properties across the sky, and that there are equal numbers of hot and cold spots in the map. The simplest version of the inflation idea predicted these properties and remarkably, WMAP’s precision measurement of the properties of the fluctuations has confirmed these predictions, in detail.

And you have ...?
I have concluded that the Universe has always existed, i.e. there are no beginning and end of the Universe. I just look out of my window and see it. No Big Bang. No 13.77 billion years since a Big Bang.
Big Bang? The Universe was created out of nothing for unknown reasons. Only twerps believe that magic!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #296 on: January 26, 2022, 11:21:18 AM »
Heiwa cant keep up from tripping over his own trolling lol and then he runs away when he's called out on his contradicting of himself BS

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #297 on: January 26, 2022, 11:42:40 AM »
Well, show the evidence!

But where is the evidence? The https://www.virtualtelescope.eu/ is just another hoax based on Earth asking for money. It is a joke.

Something is moving out there that wasn't there before launch and is right where it is said to be. Way more evidence than what you have - Your evidence being nothing.

Where's your evidence for the virtual telescope being a hoax? Yep, just what I thought, you have none.

Heiwa

« Reply #298 on: January 26, 2022, 04:36:35 PM »
Well, show the evidence!

Something is moving out there that wasn't there before launch and is right where it is said to be. Way more evidence than what you have - Your evidence being nothing.

Where's your evidence for the virtual telescope being a hoax? Yep, just what I thought, you have none.
Just listen to the people behind the virtual telescope. Would you buy a second hand space telescope from  them?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #299 on: January 26, 2022, 05:17:14 PM »
Well, show the evidence!

Just listen to the people behind the virtual telescope. Would you buy a second hand space telescope from  them?

Yes, I would. At least they realize and show evidence that telescopes are infinitely better than your old eyes looking out your window.

Let's see your evidence that the virtual telescope is a hoax.