Jwst launches in less than 3 hours

• 1802 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Jwst launches in less than 3 hours
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2022, 02:32:10 PM »
What is the alternative? Sending a space telescope to L2 and look from there? It really is ridiculous. No, best is visual observation from Earth with due regard to the atmosphere.
Between the distortion due to turbulent air and the various wavelengths of light that it absorbs, the atmosphere is the main reason why space based telescopes are so much better than earth based telescopes.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2022, 09:46:07 PM »
What is the alternative? Sending a space telescope to L2 and look from there? It really is ridiculous. No, best is visual observation from Earth with due regard to the atmosphere.
Between the distortion due to turbulent air and the various wavelengths of light that it absorbs, the atmosphere is the main reason why space based telescopes are so much better than earth based telescopes.
No, Earth based telescopes on high mountain tops are the best way to study the Universe in good weather. Second best are satellites in LEO.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 09:48:19 PM by Heiwa »

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2022, 11:17:30 PM »
No, Earth based telescopes on high mountain tops are the best way to study the Universe in good weather. Second best are satellites in LEO.

Actually, first best would be JWST way out in L2.

Why in the world would mountain top telescopes be better than ones in LEO outside of our atmosphere?  ???

Heiwa

« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2022, 12:38:59 AM »

Why in the world would mountain top telescopes be better than ones in LEO outside of our atmosphere?  ???
Sitting at a telescope on a rotating Earth or just, like me, looking out of the window, I can see the whole Universe. Or actually not. The Universe has no end. It is endless.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2022, 01:16:21 AM »

Except when the sun is up, or the moon is full, or it’s cloudy.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Calen

• Friend of Dorothy
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2022, 01:44:21 AM »

Actually, first best would be JWST way out in L2.

Because a mountain top telescope is the only one that allows him to maintain a geocentric reference frame.  Any other reference frame and his nonsense becomes apparent.

Sitting at a telescope on a rotating Earth or just, like me, looking out of the window, I can see the whole Universe. Or actually not. The Universe has no end. It is endless.
Except that, as has been pointed out many times, a terrestrial telescope cannot view the Universe in infrared, and as almost all of the observable Universe has been red-shifted into the infrared part of the electromagnetic spectrum, you are unable to see almost all of the observable Universe.
S'ils te font de la peine, je les tuerai sans gêne.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2022, 01:44:39 AM »

Who needs a mountain-top telescope or one up in LEO or at L2 when we have your window? Makes sense that all the world needs is a pane of glass in your tenement/treatment center.

Why don't you post some of the amazing and revealing images you get of the cosmos from your view.

Heiwa

« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2022, 03:18:24 AM »

Why don't you post some of the amazing and revealing images you get of the cosmos from your view.
It is only stars and galaxies as far as I can see from my windows. The Black Holes are not visible. The universe has no end so the end is not visible. No, more interesting is watching the Sun rise over the horizon each morning. Photons light up the atmosphere and suddenly the edge of the Sun is above the horizon and I can see light and feel heat one AU away. But nobody can explain how the light and heat are created. You can only see and feel it.

Calen

• Friend of Dorothy
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2022, 03:38:04 AM »

The Black Holes are not visible.

Indeed. However, a black hole's affect on surrounding matter and light is.

The universe has no end so the end is not visible.

It's a good job the JWST isn't looking for the edge of the Universe.  It will observe the earliest, most distant galaxies and stars within the observable Universe. 

But nobody can explain how the light and heat are created.

Nuclear fusion - a mechanism well explained, and experimentally proven. 

Heiwa

« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2022, 04:55:10 AM »

But nobody can explain how the light and heat are created.

Nuclear fusion - a mechanism well explained, and experimentally proven.
Hm, nobody has been able start fusion on Earth ever!

Calen

• Friend of Dorothy
« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2022, 05:59:35 AM »

If you ignore Tokomak, ITER, JET, and of course the fact that amateur physicians are able to use homemade inertial electrostatic confinement devices to achieve fusion.

But sure, nobody has ever been able to initiate fusion.

Heiwa

« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2022, 07:33:05 AM »

If you ignore Tokomak, ITER, JET, and of course the fact that amateur physicians are able to use homemade inertial electrostatic confinement devices to achieve fusion.

But sure, nobody has ever been able to initiate fusion.

ITER is down the road from me. It may initiate fusion 2150 but it is unclear. ITER is just a construction site.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2022, 07:52:40 AM »
Heiwa start another thread if you want to demonstrate your ignorance about fusion. This one is about JWST, which by the way has un-pegged its mirrors now so they can be adjusted as needed for focusing on all the cool things it will be looking at.

Calen

• Friend of Dorothy
« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2022, 07:53:32 AM »
My mistake.  The fact stands, however, that fusion has been achieved.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2022, 09:32:01 AM »

It is only stars and galaxies as far as I can see from my windows. The Black Holes are not visible. The universe has no end so the end is not visible. No, more interesting is watching the Sun rise over the horizon each morning. Photons light up the atmosphere and suddenly the edge of the Sun is above the horizon and I can see light and feel heat one AU away. But nobody can explain how the light and heat are created. You can only see and feel it.

I suppose there's no need for any institutional astronomical observation facilities or research considering we have you and your window. I also suppose that you designed your failed COULOMBI EGG oil tanker by simply looking out your window watching tankers pass by in the Med.

Thanks for showing the extremely shallow depth of your expertise and research.

Heiwa

« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2022, 10:57:43 AM »

I suppose there's no need for any institutional astronomical observation facilities or research considering we have you and your window. I also suppose that you designed your failed COULOMBI EGG oil tanker by simply looking out your window watching tankers pass by in the Med.

Re the COULOMBI EGG (CE) oil tanker I assisted the United Nations International Maritime Organization (IMO) 1990/7 to develop new rules for safer oil tankers after the Exxon Valdez grounding/oil spill 1989. We met twice annually at London during seven years. I represented Liberia. USA wanted double hull only, but the IMO adopted better rules/ideas based on accident statistics. Put the tanker oil spill protection where the accidental damages occur, minimize outflow of oil, etc.  etc.
1997 the IMO incl. USA approved the CE as better/safer than double hull, i.e. success, and the next day USA announced that CE tankers could not enter US ports. A US oil company wanted earlier to buy the patents of the CE concept but we turned down the offer.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2022, 12:54:13 PM »

Re the COULOMBI EGG (CE) oil tanker...blah, blah, blah...sour grapes...

We know, we know. We know all about how and why your coulombi failed. That's not the point.

The point is you seem to think you can glean everything about the cosmos by just looking out your window. Do you apply the same technique when it comes to engineering? If not, why do you think you know more than astronomical "engineers" by just looking out your window?

Heiwa

« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2022, 04:36:07 PM »

We know, we know. We know all about how and why your coulombi failed. That's not the point.

The point is you seem to think you can glean everything about the cosmos by just looking out your window. Do you apply the same technique when it comes to engineering? If not, why do you think you know more than astronomical "engineers" by just looking out your window?
?? The CE was approved by the IMO 1997 and is still approved. The problem is the USA that prevents CE oil tankers to visit US ports.
My method is to observe things and draw conclusions. At the IMO 1990/7 we studied 100's of tanker collisions and groundings and associated oil spills and found that 80% of the collision spills were caused by damages only above waterline (which is only 20% of the side). Everyone agreed that the best collision protection should be above and in the waterline! The US rule to put the protection below waterline is sub-optimal!
Re cosmos I think it is be best to observe it directly from Earth. Putting expensive appliances in space to observe space  is easy to fake things.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2022, 04:41:58 PM »

?? The CE was approved by the IMO 1997 and is still approved. The problem is the USA that prevents CE oil tankers to visit US ports.
My method is to observe things and draw conclusions. At the IMO 1990/7 we studied 100's of tanker collisions and groundings and associated oil spills and found that 80% of the collision spills were caused by damages only above waterline (which is only 20% of the side). Everyone agreed that the best collision protection should be above and in the waterline! The US rule to put the protection below waterline is sub-optimal!
Re cosmos I think it is be best to observe it directly from Earth. Putting expensive appliances in space to observe space  is easy to fake things.

Did you study the 100's of tanker collisions by just looking out your window?

Heiwa

« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2022, 08:16:25 PM »

Of course not. Interested parties collected the information by observation and others including me analyzed them to better understand it. Same with cosmos. Study it by observation by humans from Earth, etc. Putting appliances in space is possible - they will always orbit Earth - but they cannot see much. Humans are better but they cannot visit space.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #230 on: January 21, 2022, 09:51:09 PM »

Of course not. Interested parties collected the information by observation and others including me analyzed them to better understand it. Same with cosmos. Study it by observation by humans from Earth, etc. Putting appliances in space is possible - they will always orbit Earth - but they cannot see much. Humans are better but they cannot visit space.

I think the mere fact that simple eyeglasses exist destroys whatever it is you think you have as an argument that humans can see better than devices.

Heiwa

« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2022, 10:50:05 PM »

I think the mere fact that simple eyeglasses exist destroys whatever it is you think you have as an argument that humans can see better than devices.
You mix up eye sight and observation. My daughter the MD likes to take test cell samples of her patients and study the samples using a microscope to diagnose what's wrong with the patients. Once upon a time I earned money by climbing around inside oil tankers looking for cracks, fractures, corrosion, deformations and other damages and for it you needed good eyes.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2022, 01:13:07 AM »

You're an idiot. Viewing from Earth is shit. Light pollution, atmospheric refraction, certain wave lengths in the EM field dont reach 'your window', you aren't limited to night time viewing, or subject to the weather. You think the Hubble could have gotten us the images if it were a ground based telescope? Why doesn't every country have one then? Better yet, why doesn't everyone take out their smart phones and snap pics of the universe from their bedroom window? ??? ::)

Also your eyes are shit. That goes for every human. You dont have the resolution to even see our closest neighbouring star system is a trinary system. Can you even see Uranus with your eyes? Not even an eagle with it's awesome resolution could see that.

Can you see beyond the visible light spectrum and see from radio waves to gamma rays? Do you not think there is information to be learned in those spectrums that our eyes can not see?

Quit your trolling. You have failed. Not only does it make you look like a dense nitwit but it's boring too. No one believes even you believe the shit your spewing. You're just a senile old man trying to get his last laughs before you turn to dust in a box in the ground. Bravo dude. You're so cool 8)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Heiwa

« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2022, 04:09:59 AM »

You're an idiot. Viewing from Earth is shit. Light pollution, atmospheric refraction, certain wave lengths in the EM field dont reach 'your window', you aren't limited to night time viewing, or subject to the weather. You think the Hubble could have gotten us the images if it were a ground based telescope? Why doesn't every country have one then? Better yet, why doesn't everyone take out their smart phones and snap pics of the universe from their bedroom window? ??? ::)

Also your eyes are shit. That goes for every human. You dont have the resolution to even see our closest neighbouring star system is a trinary system. Can you even see Uranus with your eyes? Not even an eagle with it's awesome resolution could see that.

Can you see beyond the visible light spectrum and see from radio waves to gamma rays? Do you not think there is information to be learned in those spectrums that our eyes can not see?

Quit your trolling. You have failed. Not only does it make you look like a dense nitwit but it's boring too. No one believes even you believe the shit your spewing. You're just a senile old man trying to get his last laughs before you turn to dust in a box in the ground. Bravo dude. You're so cool 8)
I am not an idiot, but I reply anyway.
My eyes are pretty good.
I can only see visible light reflected from objects of all sorts. For other types of light I use proper instruments.
Why don't you use proper language in a discussion? Are you on drugs. Are you mentally fit. If yes, seek help from a doctor.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2022, 04:18:33 AM »

My eyes are pretty good.
I can only see visible light reflected from objects of all sorts. For other types of light I use proper instruments.

Proper instruments. You mean like a telescope? Like the Hubble or James Webb?

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Heiwa

« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2022, 04:31:18 AM »

My eyes are pretty good.

Yes, but the telescopes on Earth are much better, bigger, stronger and solid and locally operated by humans. Space telescopes like Hubble and JWST are remotely operated by humans on Earth and are just nonsense. Hubble can just take color pictures and we haven't seen any JWST pictures yet. Worthless.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2022, 04:35:40 AM »

My eyes are pretty good.

Yes, but the telescopes on Earth are much better, bigger, stronger and solid and locally operated by humans. Space telescopes like Hubble and JWST are remotely operated by humans on Earth and are just nonsense. Hubble can just take color pictures and we haven't seen any JWST pictures yet. Worthless.

Idiot. Case in point.

Know your place

Heiwa

« Reply #237 on: January 22, 2022, 07:42:24 AM »

My eyes are pretty good.

Idiot. Case in point.
I just want to do my own observations not relying on pictures done by others.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2022, 07:44:31 AM »

My eyes are pretty good.

Idiot. Case in point.
I just want to do my own observations not relying on pictures done by others.

Good for you. Then I guess you have no business or further input in a thread like this

Know your place

Heiwa

« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2022, 08:10:40 AM »
I really look forward of an infrared picture of a galaxy or a star or anything at the end of the Universe. I wonder what it will look like.