Midnight Mass

• 55 Replies
Re: Midnight Mass
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2021, 12:42:27 PM »
**spoilers**

No, that's not why they didn't think of it. First of all, the only point where most characters realized what was happening was at the mass. Very few people had the information you are talking about, and the only ones that had it didn't make the connection because they rationalized it through religion and wanted to believe it was a miracle. That was the point, the temptation to believe was what made them like that.
I'm not totally buying that, though it's a part of it. 

How about when Riley laid out the entire story before the sun incinerated him?    He very clearly described how a vampire is on the loose, how it drained his blood and how he is now one and is about to get killed by sunlight as...well, he's a vampire.   He never believed this was god's work and told Erin to escape, as there is a monster on the loose.  A monster that shall not be named.

Erin now knows all the details and gets the ladies together to escape and never says "because there's a motherfucking vampire on the loose".  Even the doctor who has seen how blood burns in sunlight - she starts rambling about enzymes and the like, but never mentions the V word even after Erin gets her up to speed.

Then after the mass everyone is running around draining blood and creating more undead nobody ever stops and goes, "hmmmm....are we the baddies vampires?". 

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Even at the end when they now start thinking this might not be the work of the Lord.

Nobody making that connection is clearly a conceit, but I think it was definitely the right decision dramatically.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2021, 01:58:38 PM »
**spoilers**

No, that's not why they didn't think of it. First of all, the only point where most characters realized what was happening was at the mass. Very few people had the information you are talking about, and the only ones that had it didn't make the connection because they rationalized it through religion and wanted to believe it was a miracle. That was the point, the temptation to believe was what made them like that.
I'm not totally buying that, though it's a part of it. 

How about when Riley laid out the entire story before the sun incinerated him?    He very clearly described how a vampire is on the loose, how it drained his blood and how he is now one and is about to get killed by sunlight as...well, he's a vampire.   He never believed this was god's work and told Erin to escape, as there is a monster on the loose.  A monster that shall not be named.

Erin now knows all the details and gets the ladies together to escape and never says "because there's a motherfucking vampire on the loose".  Even the doctor who has seen how blood burns in sunlight - she starts rambling about enzymes and the like, but never mentions the V word even after Erin gets her up to speed.

You're talking as if vampires are just the most typical thing and people wouldn't try to think of a more rational explanation...

Then after the mass everyone is running around draining blood and creating more undead nobody ever stops and goes, "hmmmm....are we the baddies vampires?".

Yes, a number of them did actually have the "are we the baddies" moment, after they had already gone into a frenzy and started thinking something else was going on, but I'm really not sure why you wanted them to specifically say the word vampire, they didn't even really have an opportunity to say that. At that point they were acting more like zombies if anything anyways...
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »
I don't know. Vampire lore and methodology is pretty well known. You get bitten, you either die or get 'turned' and resurrected, so to speak. In this depiction, you get turned by drinking the blood of a vampire.

There's one quick bit where some townsperson tells Bev that, "I think I just killed my daughter..." And Bev chastises him for being an idiot as all he had to do was give her some blood and she would have come back to life, but he apparently missed that message.

I any case, it seems a little bit far-fetched that no one, except for maybe Riley, doesn't quite get the fact that everything that's happening and that they are doing is vampiric. Granted, clouded by the miracles, a charismatic priest, and devotion. But still, I mean c'mon, you can't go out in sunlight is pretty much the biggest tip off you're a vampire if there ever was one.

Maybe the message is that religious zeal and delusion is more powerful than folklore. The townspeople have all the signs that vampirary is afoot, but that's a ridiculous notion. No one believes in vampires.... However, if attributed to Godly miracles, that's actually something that could explain this. Because, you know, God is real, vampires aren't.

More proof that I think Bev poisoned the priest, though I'm still not clear on the motive: During the actual midnight mass, the demonstration of resurrection is performed on the big bearded guy, Bev's henchman. He is poisoned, then resurrected. Seems like Bev's MO.

Pezevenk

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2021, 02:36:11 PM »
You say that like it's just a fact to be accepted, but they didn't really explain that and they showed Bev going to put the poison back in the closet right after which is a pretty strong implication. It's not cut-and-dried that way either, but that's the whole point of the conversation earlier - it's an open end for the viewer to try and close however your mind closes it (unless the writer chimes in officially or something)

Edit: I'm finding out that ScreenRant really loved this show now lol. Here's their case against Bev, stating she could very well be who killed him. Here's the final paragraph:

This does not work in the favor of Bev Keane, who has essentially had free rein to do as she likes in the name of the church for decades before the arrival of this much-loved priest drew new attention to her cozy setup. Thus Bev takes drastic action and poisons the priest throughout the episode, likely by tampering with his food and drink. Early in the episode, when he first falls ill, Bev can be seen bringing Paul a glass of water. Later on, episode 3 of Midnight Mass makes a point of showing a handyman fixing the water supply into the priest’s small house at Bev’s behest—likely because she has been adding rat poison to the tap for days, gradually weakening the priest in the process. Thus the biggest unsolved of Midnight Mass may have an answer after all, provided viewers are willing to do a little digging and invest time in a rewatch.

Look, I don't blame you for getting confused because I was also a bit confused at first exactly because of that poison scene, but I realized that it didn't make sense and the intention behind that scene was just to remind you the poison is a thing. Imo they shouldn't have included that scene because it was unnecessary and confusing. Also the fact that Pruitt's and the dog's deaths were similar when they were actually unrelated. Screenrant is also wrong, here is why:

1) I thought of the idea that Bev would kill him to have free rein, but that doesn't really make sense because Father Paul and his miracles being around seemed to work largely in favor of her, since it made so many more people want to go to church. You also have to consider that at that point she probably knew it was Pruitt already, since she was shown looking at the newspaper photograph. And also it would be incredibly reckless to poison him with the poison she was already being suspected of using earlier on.

2) If he had been poisoned, Pruitt would suspect her. But he never said anything indicating he suspected he had been poisoned or anything like that. He didn't even question why he died at any point, as if it didn't seem weird to him.

3) There's no clear reason why she'd gradually poison him if she was going to give him a strong dose and kill him eventually regardless. If anything it was dangerous since it could possibly make him suspect things or run medical tests.

4) Pruitt went to the doctor. The doctor didn't say anything about being poisoned, she told him it's like his body is fighting off a virus. This is a clear allusion to the vampire blood, which she also described as possibly some kind of virus, the concentration of which slowly increases within your blood. The doctor's explanation also indicates why his eyes were bloodshot when he died.

5) Why the dog poisoning scene? That was just so that it could be more clearly conveyed what kind of person Bev is, and also so that the viewers are introduced to the poison. It wasn't intended to make you think Bev poisoned Pruitt in a similar manner. Also Bev looked far more surprised at Pruitt dying than she was when the dog died.

6) Pruitt is shown retching and coughing up blood at numerous times which don't seem connected to him having eaten or drunk anything.

7) The vampire blood essentially being a poison in reality instead of a solution ties in very well with the theme of alcoholism. At numerous points parallels are made, for instance Pruitt being caught with the flask/drinking what was assumed by others to be wine, telling Joe he knows what his compulsion to drink feels like, the audience is reminded that the Muslim character can't drink alcohol and he does not participate in the mass, the recovering alcoholic also avoids mass, the pregnant woman "miscarries" etc. The vampire blood is alcohol, and it is what poisons Pruitt.

At this point I am 100% certain there was no intention to make Bev seem like she poisoned him, the shot of her putting back the poison was just misplaced and they didn't realize it could confuse the audience.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:11:23 PM by Pezevenk »

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2021, 02:52:25 PM »
I don't know. Vampire lore and methodology is pretty well known. You get bitten, you either die or get 'turned' and resurrected, so to speak. In this depiction, you get turned by drinking the blood of a vampire.

There's one quick bit where some townsperson tells Bev that, "I think I just killed my daughter..." And Bev chastises him for being an idiot as all he had to do was give her some blood and she would have come back to life, but he apparently missed that message.

She actually didn't really tell him what he should have done explicitly, she just told him he could have saved them. And, I mean, the dude was like sleeping the moment just before and then suddenly he kills his family and he finds himself within a crowd with glowing eyes, I don't think he was in exactly the right mental state.

I any case, it seems a little bit far-fetched that no one, except for maybe Riley, doesn't quite get the fact that everything that's happening and that they are doing is vampiric. Granted, clouded by the miracles, a charismatic priest, and devotion. But still, I mean c'mon, you can't go out in sunlight is pretty much the biggest tip off you're a vampire if there ever was one.

No one knew almost anything that was happening besides a very small group until the very end. It seems weird to you because as an audience member you can sometimes get the impression that the characters know as much as you do, but if you think about what the characters really know it's not a whole lot. The average citizen doesn't know anything beyond a couple of "miracles". Pruitt knows, but he is deluded into thinking it's an angel of God, and it's indicated in the end that he probably forced himself to believe that because he regretted his life and wanted a second chance. Bev also knew but Bev did not give a shit about anything as long as it gave her power and could somehow excuse it through the Bible. The mayor and Sturge were in a similar boat, they wanted to believe and they had everything justified to them by Bev. She even explained the sun part biblically by quoting Revelation. Riley's friend (forgot her name lol) also knew some things (albeit not all), mostly second hand from Riley, and at that point she was half questioning her sanity and was looking for a more rational explanation, as did the doctor. It's even indicated that they DID bring up vampires off screen while talking with the doctor, since the doctor is talking about how "these stories probably started" and trying to explain them through blood conditions. So it seems like a couple of characters actually did make the connection, just not on screen and wanted to reject it in favor of something more... normal.

When most people find out the rest, they're not exactly in a very critical/contemplative mood, they're in religious fervor, and then they're in a feeding frenzy.

Because, you know, God is real, vampires aren't.

Yes, that's a big part of why people didn't believe that at first.

More proof that I think Bev poisoned the priest, though I'm still not clear on the motive: During the actual midnight mass, the demonstration of resurrection is performed on the big bearded guy, Bev's henchman. He is poisoned, then resurrected. Seems like Bev's MO.
Everyone is poisoned in that scene, Jonestown style, but that's not related to Pruitt's death.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2021, 02:56:10 PM »
I looked it up and both writers of Midnight Mass confirmed that Bev didn't poison Pruitt, Pruitt died because of the blood and the connection was unintentional:

https://twitter.com/flanaganfilm/status/1445821831470977027

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2021, 03:09:40 PM »
I looked it up and both writers of Midnight Mass confirmed that Bev didn't poison Pruitt, Pruitt died because of the blood and the connection was unintentional:

Great find. It doesn't really get more definitive than that. Funny that his one YT post regarding the show answers that one question. I guess it's one that a lot of people had.

Pezevenk

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2021, 03:17:10 PM »

Great find. It doesn't really get more definitive than that. Funny that his one YT post regarding the show answers that one question. I guess it's one that a lot of people had.
It's because some weird people on reddit were very defensive of their idea that Bev killed Pruitt and were questioning if the account posting that information was actually the writer of that show, so he posted a video to convince them. I even saw people insisting that Flanagan was himself confused and didn't know part of the plot when they were shown that he said Bev didn't poison him lol

As I said, I understand why people were confused because I was also confused at first because of that one scene and the fact that when Pruitt died, the blood and foam coming out of his mouth reminded me of the dog's death. Imo they should have changed those parts but it's kind of a minor complaint. I'm pretty sure most people would see the signs upon rewatching it anyways. But yeah some people were very attached to their headcanon and they got pissed at the writers for saying Bev didn't poison him, so they were giving them a hard time.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:19:25 PM by Pezevenk »

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »
It must have been a hot button because a lot of the time these guys refuse to answer such questions. Or if they do, cryptically. It took years for Ridley Scott to say whether Deckard was a replicant or not. And I think Harrison Ford still disagrees with him.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2021, 04:49:36 PM »

It's because some weird people on reddit were very defensive of their idea that Bev killed Pruitt and were questioning if the account posting that information was actually the writer of that show, so he posted a video to convince them. I even saw people insisting that Flanagan was himself confused and didn't know part of the plot when they were shown that he said Bev didn't poison him lol

As I said, I understand why people were confused because I was also confused at first because of that one scene and the fact that when Pruitt died, the blood and foam coming out of his mouth reminded me of the dog's death. Imo they should have changed those parts but it's kind of a minor complaint. I'm pretty sure most people would see the signs upon rewatching it anyways. But yeah some people were very attached to their headcanon and they got pissed at the writers for saying Bev didn't poison him, so they were giving them a hard time.

I don't buy it.

CLEARLY A DEEPFAKE!!!
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2021, 07:12:03 PM »

Ooo I can't wait to watch this, thank you for sharing, I'll check it out later tonight!

Pezevenk

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2021, 12:33:57 AM »

Ooo I can't wait to watch this, thank you for sharing, I'll check it out later tonight!
Oh, he doesn't say much in the video, there is some reddit threads where he goes more in depth. He just made the video so people stopped telling him he was faking his identity lol

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2021, 03:08:03 AM »
You're talking as if vampires are just the most typical thing and people wouldn't try to think of a more rational explanation...
"Hey guys, this can't be vampirism, there's clearly a rational explanation.  It must be an angel."   :D

Though of course they don't say that, as the script writers have made a decision that nobody would say the V word at all.

At that point they were acting more like zombies if anything anyways...
75% vampire 25% zombie 100% undead
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Pezevenk

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2021, 10:05:58 AM »
"Hey guys, this can't be vampirism, there's clearly a rational explanation.  It must be an angel."   :D

The doctor didn't say anything about angels, neither did her mom or Erin. Also when it comes to supernatural occurrences I'd sooner think of divine intervention than vampires... They already believed in God anyways, but not in vampires.

Also they did discuss vampires, they just didn't say the word on screen.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:07:40 AM by Pezevenk »

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2021, 10:23:03 AM »
Well, having Mike Flanagan state in very clear terms that Bev didn't kill Pruitt is enough to convince me. Thanks for the share Pez, I'll have to go looking for the reddit threads. If you have any of them to share, feel free, and if not that's OK too, I'll search around.

Pezevenk

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2021, 10:43:41 AM »
Well, having Mike Flanagan state in very clear terms that Bev didn't kill Pruitt is enough to convince me. Thanks for the share Pez, I'll have to go looking for the reddit threads. If you have any of them to share, feel free, and if not that's OK too, I'll search around.

Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MidnightMass/comments/q9d3nh/bev_killed_father_paul_mike_flanagans_explanation/hgvciz0/?context=3

This is the other main writer of the show and Mike's brother, James Flanagan. I checked the rest of his reddit account, and he also answered some other questions regarding why they had that scene of Bev putting the poison back into the shelf etc.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2021, 11:09:28 AM »
I just read through the reddit thread. It's funny, now some people, being reddit and all, are like, "Well, thanks for the explanation, but you didn't really do a good enough job conveying that..." Gotta love reddit.

The other question I have, perhaps a set-up for a sequel, could the demon/fallen angel/vampire have made it the 30 miles to the mainland before being incinerated by the sun with its slashed wings?

Pezevenk

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2021, 11:15:08 AM »
I just read through the reddit thread. It's funny, now some people, being reddit and all, are like, "Well, thanks for the explanation, but you didn't really do a good enough job conveying that..." Gotta love reddit.

The other question I have, perhaps a set-up for a sequel, could the demon/fallen angel/vampire have made it the 30 miles to the mainland before being incinerated by the sun with its slashed wings?
I don't think it was necessarily a sequel set up, I think they just left it open, it's common in horror because they don't want you to be sure the threat is gone.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2021, 11:18:24 AM »

He had to have died. My armchair-professional opinion is that the reason Leeza lost the feeling in her legs again is because the vamp died, so his control over the people that were still left at that point also vanished, along with any "benefits" that may have gone along with it.

Pezevenk

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2021, 11:21:51 AM »

He had to have died. My armchair-professional opinion is that the reason Leeza lost the feeling in her legs again is because the vamp died, so his control over the people that were still left at that point also vanished, along with any "benefits" that may have gone along with it.

Yeah I also thought it might be because the creature died, but it may have also been because she "healed" from the vamp blood. Who knows.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »

I don't think it was necessarily a sequel set up, I think they just left it open, it's common in horror because they don't want you to be sure the threat is gone.

Yeah, I just threw the sequel bit in there. Probably not. Mike Flannigan doesn't really seem super sequel-errific.

My armchair-professional opinion is that the reason Leeza lost the feeling in her legs again is because the vamp died, so his control over the people that were still left at that point also vanished, along with any "benefits" that may have gone along with it.

I forgot about the Leeza leg bit. Yeah, that makes sense: Origin vamp dies, acolytes/infected lose their "powers". I think that's built into Vampire lore.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2021, 11:27:41 AM »

Finished it, so I can read this now, you plot spoiler bastards.

Excellent, we went through the “But vampires!” and then decided that already being part of a blood drinking cult that has legitimacy and the way it was introduced with the miracles to back it up, would have played to the faith element, and let it slide.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2021, 11:35:01 AM »
The leg thing at the end I saw as their way of saying that the head vampire blew up in the sunlight.

But her legs being paralyzed again doesn't quite make sense.  If you hire a plumber to fix a leaking toilet and then someone murders that plumber, your toilet doesn't start leaking again.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2021, 12:21:58 PM »
Tough to gauge. Some vamp lore points to someone killing the vamp that turned you also kills you. Additionally, if you haven't completely turned, haven't had a first kill, etc., then if someone kills your maker you revert back to human. Or die. It's a mixed bag.

So maybe, to Boyd's point, the original vamp got incinerated by the sunlight and because Leeza had only drank some of his blood, she was not fully turned, yet had some vamp benefits; she lost those benies when he died.

From screenrant again, though they were wrong about the bev poison bit:

"Once the vampire is out of view, she tells Warren she can’t feel her legs again, which is said with a sigh of relief. The implication is that Leeza lost the restorative healing powers of the vampire once he died, because there wouldn’t be any other reason for her to be happy at losing feeling in her legs again."

Pezevenk

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2021, 01:05:35 PM »
The leg thing at the end I saw as their way of saying that the head vampire blew up in the sunlight.

But her legs being paralyzed again doesn't quite make sense.  If you hire a plumber to fix a leaking toilet and then someone murders that plumber, your toilet doesn't start leaking again.
Yeah but your plumber doesn't fix your leaking toilet by reading it incantations of ancient demons.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2021, 03:23:05 PM »

Yeah but your plumber doesn't fix your leaking toilet by reading it incantations of ancient demons.

Mine did and the result wasn't pretty.