Squid Game

• 106 Replies

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Re: Squid Game
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2021, 02:51:33 PM »
No it's OK, I mean I did go to school so it's not exactly new. Although I guess maybe I shouldn't have participated in a thread about this show. I won't make that mistake again.

You haven't watched the show. Not really.

If the director wanted his actors to sound like that, he would have marketed it as some comedy in the same vein as Monty Python.

So what you saw was something else. A cheap English copy of a masterful work of art. (excluding those VIPs lol) If someone copied the Mona Lisa painting and gave it a different aesthetic, would it be worth as much? Would a copy ever be as good?

I submit to you 'Old Boy' by Korea vs the American remake of the same name. The Korean one was brilliant. The American one was predictably garbage. Some stories, film, shows, with foreign origins simply can't translate over to English well. Cultures are worlds apart

These remakes are often worse than dubs. Because you steal an entire movie and most people who watch the shitty remake, probably have no idea it was copied from an earlier, foreign work
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 02:53:12 PM by Shifter »

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2021, 03:04:15 PM »
You aren't even stopping to consider that some people don't have the same sensory input experience that you enjoy. So yeah, it's deserved. But you won't see that, so it doesn't matter.
You aren't even stopping to consider that maybe it's just because you've hardly ever tried it. Maybe it's not that big a deal when pretty much every adult in countries where it is more common (since practically all major films are in a foreign language) prefers subs.
Oh really? I've hardly ever tried it? Interesting. I haven't noticed you sitting next to me on the couch, or in a theater. Please, tell me more about myself. ::)
LOL OK I'm sure you watch foreign language films with subs all the time. I'm sure you've done it at least 3 times.

Like for real, how frequently do you watch live action films that are not in English anyways?
I'm totally not into Kaiju movies or anything, you're right, in fact I've actually never even seen a movie with subtitles. Thanks for helping me learn that about myself. Even though it doesn't match my lived reality, you have helped shed light on the fact that my lived reality doesn't matter because it doesn't align with the preconceived notions you have about how my brain works, and your reality is the true and correct one.

Maybe if I practice real hard, and give it my best try, I'll also be able to more effectively follow verbal communication in situations with lots of other noise. I haven't been working on that for almost 40 years or anything. Sheesh. Does my laziness know no bounds?!

Have a nice day.

Oh sorry you must have done it at least 5 times then.
This has been truly amazing to witness. I haven't had someone attack me like this because I process information differently than them for quite some time. I hope it has helped you feel better.
I'm not attacking you, I'm saying I don't believe it is because you have some unique way to process information, I think it's just because you haven't gotten used to it at all. Do all French people have a unique way to process information different from Belgians? No, it probably just has to do with the fact that France had a big native film industry and then a stupid law that mandates dubbing movies for TV, so French people have never gotten used to subs so most of them think they are "distracting". I've never seen an adult here who prefers dubs, aside from one who is extremely short sighted and gets tired having to read things at a distance, not some unique way to process information. It's habit.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2021, 04:22:48 PM »
Let's start a thread where you can psychoanalyze me, Pez. You're doing great work, I'd like to encourage your further success in this field.

Edit: You're not attacking, lol. Ok. Well done, sir.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 04:26:07 PM by boydster »

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2021, 11:18:32 PM »
It's not elitist, that's what most of the world does except for like part of the anglosphere, France because they are allergic to foreign languages for some reason (same goes for Germany I believe) and also Poland/Ukraine/Russia which do something worse than dubs, plus some big countries with very poor literacy rates.
The problem is that foreign films suck. 

What they need is the Mystery Science Theater 3000 dub.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2021, 11:28:15 PM »
It's not elitist, that's what most of the world does except for like part of the anglosphere, France because they are allergic to foreign languages for some reason (same goes for Germany I believe) and also Poland/Ukraine/Russia which do something worse than dubs, plus some big countries with very poor literacy rates.

How many foreign films have you seen?

Also your opinion (and everyone else's) is only subjective. Saying 'foreign films suck' as if it's a fact is stupid

However even the most objective critic would have to agree that Hollywood's recent woke agenda BS with reboots and remakes but using shallow Mary Sue protagonists that have zero story arc or progression (eg the chick from the new star wars movies or new Mulan) is just shit

America used to be great at making movies. Great at directing, writing and acting. Used to. Those days are behind you now

You get a few gems like John Wick. But even the cool fight while riding high speed on motorbikes was directly ripped from a Korean movie 'The Villainess' which still did it better

And you can't judge a movie by how much money it cost to make. Most of that money goes to just over fluffed actors salaries or maybe just bad management. John Carter cost $200 million? FFS ::)

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2021, 11:41:29 PM »

Saying 'foreign films suck' as if it's a fact is stupid
Lucky thing I presented it as my opinion and not a fact.

Also your opinion (and everyone else's) is only subjective.

Is that a fact ?    ;D

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2021, 11:48:00 PM »

Saying 'foreign films suck' as if it's a fact is stupid
Lucky thing I presented it as my opinion and not a fact.

Also your opinion (and everyone else's) is only subjective.

Is that a fact ?    ;D

Yes. Opinions are subjective

Know your place

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2021, 12:31:46 AM »
Ooops, givin' the thread back to Squid Game.
Sorry folks . . .

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2021, 02:59:25 AM »
Ok. I can forgive the 'crappy' acting of the VIPs. Apparantly it's more true to life than I realised

https://nextshark.com/geoffrey-giuliano-squid-game-vip-actor/

Geoffrey Giuliano, the actor who plays one of the controversial VIP characters in the latest hit drama “Squid Game,” was previously filmed going on a rant in a supermarket in Thailand. Users online are now calling him the “real life” version of his villainous character. 

The supermarket incident: A 2017 DailyMail story showed the actor, now 68, swearing at another customer while purchasing items at a Big-C supermarket in Pattaya. 

The customer, an unnamed French expat, claimed that Giuliano jumped in front of him in an express “10 items or less” checkout line and proceeded to throw roughly 25 items on the conveyor belt.  As he began to film the incident, Giuliano said to him, “You’re not intimidating me by that camera, I’m an actor.”In the video, the French customer can be heard replying, “I’m just waiting for the next round, because what you said about America was very interesting.”Giuliano becomes visibly irate and swears at the customer: “Go f*** yourself, OK. Go f*** yourself, OK, let’s get it real straight. You can go f*** yourself, OK.”He continues: “​​I’m an American, I do what I want, we’re the kings of the world, OK. We’re professional a*******. We have taken being a******* to the highest possible f****** level in this world.” The customer said that Giuliano was initially “aggressive” with how he threw his items down. He started to film once Giuliano spoke about “being American and being able to do what he wanted.”Both Giuliano’s wife and child were present during the ordeal. His wife was described as “friendly” and that she “looked embarrassed by his behavior.” The story resurfaced on the controversial subreddit r/Aznidentity, with users pointing out the similarities between Giuliano and his character, identified on the show as VIP Four. 

More on Giuliano’s past: In 2016, one year before the grocery store incident, the actor made news when he was involved in an investigation for missing iconic photographs. That same year, he also promoted a website aimed toward men who want to date Thai women. 

A Mail on Sunday investigation of the missing photos of John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s wedding led an undercover reporter to Giuliano, who reportedly claimed to have the photos’ negatives worth over $100,000 up for sale. Giuliano put the reporter in contact with a mysterious middle-man. ​​”Giuliano said he had been instructed to sell the negatives on behalf of a friend but the deal soured when Giuliano suspected the reporter was acting for Ono and refused to sell them before launching into a vile tirade against her,” the report said.In the same year, the actor posted several videos on his YouTube channel promoting a website called “Date Thai Ladies.” Each of the videos show him expanding on several stereotypes of Thai women. In one video, he addresses the question, “Why Should a Beautiful Thai Lady Want Me?” His answer: “All you want is the love and respect you deserve, the same thing that Thai ladies want — which, quite frankly, they don’t often get from Thai men.” In another video titled “If I Date a Thai Girl I will be Ridiculed by My Friends?” he assures any potential clients that “Thai women are the most beautiful, sensual women in the world.” Finally in another video, he compares his experience of being with Thai women to his 30-year marriage with an American woman. “These Thai ladies are really quite sincere. They’re looking for a family, they’re family-oriented.” According to his IMDB page, the actor recently appeared in a small role in the Netflix movie “Kate.” He’s also coming out with a TV series titled “Last Tango In Thailand” which features the actor “homing in on the infamous Vietnam era sex-for-sale, seaside town of Pattaya, where he takes a wild ride through the mean streets of the global swinging capitol of the world.”Early on in his career, the actor played McDonald’s mascot Ronald McDonald before he became a vegetarian and turned his back on the fast food company. He’s been featured in the 1997 documentary “McLibel” about the lawsuit by McDonald’s against environmentalists.

(the link is eaiser to read)

Being a 'Daily Mail' news source, take it with a grain of salt but damn. Those VIPs were actually better than we realised. The cringe is on point.

Know your place

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2021, 03:06:12 AM »

So not such a perfectly crafted piece of art then.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2021, 03:23:05 AM »
Ok. I can forgive the 'crappy' acting of the VIPs. Apparantly it's more true to life than I realised

https://nextshark.com/geoffrey-giuliano-squid-game-vip-actor/

Geoffrey Giuliano, the actor who plays one of the controversial VIP characters in the latest hit drama “Squid Game,” was previously filmed going on a rant in a supermarket in Thailand. Users online are now calling him the “real life” version of his villainous character.

The supermarket incident: A 2017 DailyMail story showed the actor, now 68, swearing at another customer while purchasing items at a Big-C supermarket in Pattaya.

The customer, an unnamed French expat, claimed that Giuliano jumped in front of him in an express “10 items or less” checkout line and proceeded to throw roughly 25 items on the conveyor belt.  As he began to film the incident, Giuliano said to him, “You’re not intimidating me by that camera, I’m an actor.”In the video, the French customer can be heard replying, “I’m just waiting for the next round, because what you said about America was very interesting.”Giuliano becomes visibly irate and swears at the customer: “Go f*** yourself, OK. Go f*** yourself, OK, let’s get it real straight. You can go f*** yourself, OK.”He continues: “​​I’m an American, I do what I want, we’re the kings of the world, OK. We’re professional a*******. We have taken being a******* to the highest possible f****** level in this world.” The customer said that Giuliano was initially “aggressive” with how he threw his items down. He started to film once Giuliano spoke about “being American and being able to do what he wanted.”Both Giuliano’s wife and child were present during the ordeal. His wife was described as “friendly” and that she “looked embarrassed by his behavior.” The story resurfaced on the controversial subreddit r/Aznidentity, with users pointing out the similarities between Giuliano and his character, identified on the show as VIP Four.

More on Giuliano’s past: In 2016, one year before the grocery store incident, the actor made news when he was involved in an investigation for missing iconic photographs. That same year, he also promoted a website aimed toward men who want to date Thai women.

A Mail on Sunday investigation of the missing photos of John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s wedding led an undercover reporter to Giuliano, who reportedly claimed to have the photos’ negatives worth over $100,000 up for sale. Giuliano put the reporter in contact with a mysterious middle-man. ​​”Giuliano said he had been instructed to sell the negatives on behalf of a friend but the deal soured when Giuliano suspected the reporter was acting for Ono and refused to sell them before launching into a vile tirade against her,” the report said.In the same year, the actor posted several videos on his YouTube channel promoting a website called “Date Thai Ladies.” Each of the videos show him expanding on several stereotypes of Thai women. In one video, he addresses the question, “Why Should a Beautiful Thai Lady Want Me?” His answer: “All you want is the love and respect you deserve, the same thing that Thai ladies want — which, quite frankly, they don’t often get from Thai men.” In another video titled “If I Date a Thai Girl I will be Ridiculed by My Friends?” he assures any potential clients that “Thai women are the most beautiful, sensual women in the world.” Finally in another video, he compares his experience of being with Thai women to his 30-year marriage with an American woman. “These Thai ladies are really quite sincere. They’re looking for a family, they’re family-oriented.” According to his IMDB page, the actor recently appeared in a small role in the Netflix movie “Kate.” He’s also coming out with a TV series titled “Last Tango In Thailand” which features the actor “homing in on the infamous Vietnam era sex-for-sale, seaside town of Pattaya, where he takes a wild ride through the mean streets of the global swinging capitol of the world.”Early on in his career, the actor played McDonald’s mascot Ronald McDonald before he became a vegetarian and turned his back on the fast food company. He’s been featured in the 1997 documentary “McLibel” about the lawsuit by McDonald’s against environmentalists.

(the link is eaiser to read)

Being a 'Daily Mail' news source, take it with a grain of salt but damn. Those VIPs were actually better than we realised. The cringe is on point.

Sounds like those bitter old hags on the view.

Pezevenk

« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2021, 07:29:57 AM »

I agree, foreign films suck, Greek films are the only good ones  ;)

Go Digger for Oscars 2021 (or some other award that matters more)!

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2021, 08:20:54 AM »
No it's OK, I mean I did go to school so it's not exactly new. Although I guess maybe I shouldn't have participated in a thread about this show. I won't make that mistake again.

You haven't watched the show. Not really.

If the director wanted his actors to sound like that, he would have marketed it as some comedy in the same vein as Monty Python.

So what you saw was something else. A cheap English copy of a masterful work of art. (excluding those VIPs lol) If someone copied the Mona Lisa painting and gave it a different aesthetic, would it be worth as much? Would a copy ever be as good?

I submit to you 'Old Boy' by Korea vs the American remake of the same name. The Korean one was brilliant. The American one was predictably garbage. Some stories, film, shows, with foreign origins simply can't translate over to English well. Cultures are worlds apart

These remakes are often worse than dubs. Because you steal an entire movie and most people who watch the shitty remake, probably have no idea it was copied from an earlier, foreign work
Look at one missed call.
I saw the original Japanese version and those damn yanks copied it and say's it's their own.
Guess no one cares if it's not Americun.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2021, 06:57:13 PM »
https://www.news.com.au/world/a-north-korean-student-will-be-executed-for-sharing-the-hit-netflix-show-with-their-classmates/news-story/a83ad435f75815d341fb6d3d7d2a2624

A North Korean student who smuggled copies of Squid Game into the country and sold them will reportedly be executed by firing squad.

North Korean authorities caught seven high school students watching the violent drama after sharing the show via USB flash drives.

Radio Free Asia reported a student who bought a drive from the smuggler received a life sentence after his parents reportedly paid authorities $US3000 ($A4170), while the six others who watched the show have been sentenced to five years of hard labour.

The punishment was extended to the students’ school where teachers and school administrators were fired and faced banishment to work in remote mines.

Local sources said the smuggler brought a copy of the Netflix show back from China before selling versions of it. RFA reported his death sentence would be carried out by the firing squad.

“This all started last week when a high school student secretly bought a USB flash drive containing the South Korean drama Squid Game and watched it with one of his best friends in class,” a law enforcement source in North Hamgyong province told RFA’s Korean Service on Monday.

“The friend told several other students, who became interested, and they shared the flash drive with them. They were caught by the censors in 109 Sangmu, who had received a tip-off,” said the source, referring to the government strike force that specialises in catching illegal video watchers.

Six others who watched the show have reportednly been sentenced to five years of hard labour.

Harsh! North Korea should like this show to be seen. It kind of goes along with their whole 'capitalism is evil' propaganda
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 06:59:00 PM by Shifter »

Know your place

Pezevenk

« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2021, 01:56:23 AM »
The source is Radio Free Asia sooo it's probably not true, people make up all sorts of stuff about North Korea and it passes because there aren't any good sources coming from inside North Korea so you can say whatever about what's going inside the country and it can't be debunked. Like yeah it's a crime to smuggle in movies but death sentence? Probably not. I remember seeing North Koreans say watching smuggled movies is actually pretty common, I don't think it would be so common if the punishment was death if you smuggled it, 5 years of hard labour if you just watched it, and then your school administrators also get banished to remote mines for some reason. The article kinda contradicts itself too, it says life sentence at first, then it says he will be executed.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 02:02:15 AM by Pezevenk »

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2021, 02:01:45 AM »
The source is Radio Free Asia sooo it's probably not true, people make up all sorts of stuff about North Korea and it passes because there aren't any good sources coming from inside North Korea so you can say whatever about what's going inside the country and it can't be debunked. Like yeah it's a crime to smuggle in movies but death sentence? Probably not. I remember seeing North Koreans say watching smuggled movies is actually pretty common, I don't think it would be so common if the punishment was death if you smuggled it, 5 years of hard labour if you just watched it, and then your school administrators also get banished to remote mines for some reason.

Yeah, I should probably trust you. Your avatar makes you look like you'd know a thing or 2 about the North  8) ;)

Know your place

Pezevenk

« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2021, 02:02:28 AM »
The source is Radio Free Asia sooo it's probably not true, people make up all sorts of stuff about North Korea and it passes because there aren't any good sources coming from inside North Korea so you can say whatever about what's going inside the country and it can't be debunked. Like yeah it's a crime to smuggle in movies but death sentence? Probably not. I remember seeing North Koreans say watching smuggled movies is actually pretty common, I don't think it would be so common if the punishment was death if you smuggled it, 5 years of hard labour if you just watched it, and then your school administrators also get banished to remote mines for some reason.

Yeah, I should probably trust you. Your avatar makes you look like you'd know a thing or 2 about the North  8) ;)
Exactly.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)