North star proves flat earth

• 13 Replies

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
North star proves flat earth
« on: September 21, 2021, 09:31:29 AM »
If earth was round and spinning around the sun then how come the NS is in the same place every night?
But anyways according to my research in order for that to happen the earth must stay in one place therefore proving that earth is flat.
But earth rises right?
The star is million of miles above the center so the earth will not collide with it yet....

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: North star proves flat earth
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 10:16:56 AM »
It’s not in the same place every night.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »
Support your reasoning.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 11:21:16 AM »
If earth was round and spinning around the sun then how come the NS is in the same place every night?
I've heard some interesting so-called 'proofs' about the Earth being flat but yours is a new one on me.

You know the Earth is tilted on an axis that passes through the NP, centre and SP right?  We call it the polar axis. It so happens that the direction that this axis points in space is always the same. So all the time the Earth is orbiting the Sun, the axis is always tilted in the same direction. That is what causes the annual pattern of the seasons ultimately. It so happens that the polar axis also points very nearly (but not quite) directly towards a reasonably bright star in the constellation Ursa Minor.  We call it Polaris.  Observers in the southern hemisphere don't have such a luxury and must rely instead on a much fainter star called Sigma Octantis.

The Earth is also spinning around its polar axis as well in a west to east direction. That gives us on the surface the impression that the sky is rotating from east to west.

The Earths axis is also wobbling over a much longer time scale than a human life. We call it precession.  This wobbling is a consequence of a collision early on in the Earths history with another forming planetoid which also went towards forming the Moon. The wobbling completes a cycle in just over 26,000 years and means that other stars such as Vega will replace Polaris in a few thousand years time as the NS. Star positions are shifting  very slowly over time which is why star charts have to be updated every so often. Astrometry is the branch of astronomy which deals specifically with measuring stellar positions very precisely.

None of that actually provides any evidence at all for the Earth being flat so I would be interested to know how you reached your conclusion.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:23:19 AM by Solarwind »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 01:04:32 PM »
Support your reasoning.
You didn’t support your claim so I don’t have to support mine. I will say the current North Star Polaris has not always been the North Star. They switch after so many years.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 01:29:22 PM »
The NS (Polaris) lies within 1 degree (40') of the NCP and so it moves around the NCP once every 23h 56m in a circular path that covers 80' or just over 1 degree or two Moon diameters.

You won't notice the difference unless you measure it so essentially Polaris will appear to be in the same place night after night.  Over much longer timescales as I said in previous post, Polaris will move away from the NCP and be replaced by other stars. But since that is not going to be noticeably over our lifetime, we can essentially ignore that.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 01:31:08 PM »
But anyways according to my research in order for that to happen the earth must stay in one place therefore proving that earth is flat.

What research are you referring to?

JackBlack

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 02:02:46 PM »
I assume you mean Polaris, and are appealing to the motion of Earth's orbit around the sun?
If so, it does move, but only very slightly. Polaris is located ~400 light years away.
At this distance, the amount it moves is negligible and is not going to be detected by eye.
The parallax is on the order of milliarcseconds. There are 3.6 million milliarcseconds in a degree.

Your research is wrong.
It would need to remain at exactly the same location for it to be an issue (rather than simply be too small a chance to see with the naked eye).
If that was the case it would simply mean the relative motion of Earth and Polaris is 0. At best you get a stationary Earth. It wouldn't mean Earth is flat. There is no logical connection there at all.

But earth rises right?
The star is million of miles above the center so the earth will not collide with it yet....
Which would mean that it would appear straight up for basically everyone.

If I be generous and take that as 1 000 000 miles = 1 600 000 km, and the furthest out observer being 20 000 km away from the centre of Earth, that would put Polaris at an angle of 89.28 degrees above horizontal, of 0.72 degrees away from vertical.
But instead, at the equator, it is quite close to the horizon, and further south it is below the horizon.

These observations of Polaris getting close to the horizon as you get close to the equator, with the angle of elevation matching your latitude, shows quite conclusively that Earth is round, not flat.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 02:40:35 PM »
Polaris is always north.

If it is orbiting the sun then polaris would not be visible.
Not to mention that you wont see it for some time of the year.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 02:58:30 PM »
Polaris is not orbiting the sun. It's not part of our solar system. In the post right before yours, JB explained that it is about 400 light years away. In what direction, you might ask? Roughly directly "up" from the Earth's north pole. Way, way up.

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 03:47:31 PM »
maybe you could draw the model and show where it fails.

like a persepctive from northern winter and then from northern summer.
average orbit is 300M km dia?

earth tilt is roughly 23degrees.

if only there was some kind of basic formula and shape we could refer to that could line up 2 points and an angle...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 03:54:12 PM by Themightykabool »

JackBlack

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 04:38:47 PM »
If it is orbiting the sun then polaris would not be visible.
Not to mention that you wont see it for some time of the year.
Polaris is not orbiting the sun.
Instead it is quite some distance away and is a multi-star system.

If instead you mean if Earth is orbiting the sun, then please explain why that would result in Polaris not being visible, and not being seen for some time of the year?

Note that it is effectively "up" from the north pole. Which will be the same throughout the year.

This is in contrast to stars closer to the equator, which are visible at night at different times of the year, because "up" for the equator at the same time at night, for different times of year are not the same direction.

Again, where Polaris can't be seen is south of the equator, because Earth gets in the way.

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 03:40:40 AM »
It is quite surprising how many people outside the astronomical community refer to the north star or northern star as if they think there it has some special properties. I have had Sirius and even bright planets pointed out to me and asked 'is that the north star?'

Polaris itself is not remarkable. It is a 2nd magnitude, variable and multiple star which just happens right now to be located within 1 degree of the north celestial pole. That makes it useful for astronomers in the northern hemisphere as we can use it to help align our mounts. But there is little remarkable about the star itself.

It lies, as JB says about 400 light years from Earth. The whole concept of a light year seems to be difficult for some flat Earthers to grasp but it really isn't. Not if you understand the nature of the Universe that is. We didn't get to fully understand star distances until the mid-19th century when stellar aberration and stellar parallaxes could be measured. Nowadays we can measure parallaxes down to the milli-arcsecond level thanks to GAIA and others which are helping to map our entire Milky Way.

It's a shame in many ways I think that flat Earth minded people are prevented from appreciating and enjoying the true wonders of the Universe that exist for all to enjoy because instead they are too wrapped up in their own issues of denial or distrust with everyone in 'authority' that they find it impossible to simply accept it and enjoy it for what it actually is.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 05:42:52 AM by Solarwind »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2021, 07:50:46 PM »
Would you care to share your research that drew you to this conclusion?  Why couldn't a stationary earth be round like Ptolemy concluded?

But earth rises right?
What makes you say that?

Oh?  If the earth is rising like you say, then how long do you suppose it would take before the earth does collide with it?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.