got some probiotic fish flakes for ruffles and company

• 290 Replies
Re: got some probiotic fish flakes for ruffles and company
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2023, 10:22:59 AM »
I love my "rabbit" snails

"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Quote from: bulmabriefs144
The woke left have tried to erase photosynthesis

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2023, 10:45:09 AM »
Oh, I saw those on Amazon while I was shopping for aquarium stuff. They are adorable.

Also, I am very happy to say that the pool filter sand I bought was very clean and putting in the giant plastic tub and using my siphon worked really well. I only needed to rinse it twice, but did three times just to be sure. ALSO, it is not tan, it's greyish white. I don't know why I thought it was tan.

Shifter, Father Fish's store is probably about 40 miles or so from here. I would love to go meet him in person. He would probably shout at me to stop feeding my fish. lol
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2023, 10:44:42 AM »
Have any of you ever kept otocinclus?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2023, 01:40:48 AM »
Yeah, I've got some right now - four...I think....  Don't see them much!

I got them as I was having issues with diatoms - they just eat it all up, but I don't see them much anymore.  They used to hang out on the glass, but I think my current flow might be a bit much, so they hide in the plants.
"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2023, 06:43:19 AM »
My one main plant order is holding up progress. They didn't ship until Wednesday, the day they were supposed to arrive.  >:(  Anyway, this caused me to order more plants because... WHY NOT. I ordered some monte carlo because the internet says it will grow on driftwood and I think it will look cool to kind of drape over, and maybe make a little bit of a carpet. I think you have to trim it a lot, though. I am going to order a cryptocoryne wendtii because the internet says that's an easy one, and a few more anubias to put in the other tanks. I think maybe I will make the 70 gallon an anubias garden, or something.

I have been thinking about what fish to put in. I am planning to move one of the fish I already have, because it is being bullied in the other tank (idk what it is, it came from the river) and I was thinking of getting a few tiger barbs, a few corydoras, and something to eat the algae. I was looking at the cute little snails, or the otocinclus. I think I need there to actually be some algae before I introduce something like that, though. I am very interested in those burrowing snails. I put way more sand in my tank than I needed, so maybe they would be super happy.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2023, 02:56:10 PM »
I have gone anubias mad and ordered several different varieties. My aquarium budget is gone for the next year. lol (except for food, obv)

Jimmy, do you use liquid fertilizer?

« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2023, 03:52:49 AM »
I have gone anubias mad and ordered several different varieties. My aquarium budget is gone for the next year. lol (except for food, obv)

I use a little bit of micronutrient mix I made up from powder (cheap) - my tap water is full of nitrates, so don't need to add any.  For plants like anubias then it's debatable whether you need to add anything really.

I've got 4 varieties of anubias as well!

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2023, 06:02:32 AM »
I love my "rabbit" snails

That is some Kang & Kodos alien invasion shit right there my lobster friend.

Which when you think about it are weird and otherworldly water-dwelling ugly mothers too, mmmm, perhaps instead of looking to the skies for invasion fleets we should be looking at mail order fish distributors, think about it, two thirds of the earth is water, ergo two thirds of potential invaders would be aquatic.

Growth size is limited by tank volume, as we’ve heard, perfect for biding time and learning about humanity through a clear medium introduced right into the family living area, and when eventually the human is bored and tips them into a waterway, pond or sewer then they are free to make their way to the sea and grow to gargantuan proportions feeding on dolphins and whales before rising out to consume our cities.

Spacey, when and if you tire of harbouring these forward attack squads, microwave the suckers and use them as compost rather than release them to commit havoc. 
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2023, 07:08:15 AM »
What if they are here to defeat the penguins?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2023, 07:14:10 AM »

I use a little bit of micronutrient mix I made up from powder (cheap) - my tap water is full of nitrates, so don't need to add any.  For plants like anubias then it's debatable whether you need to add anything really.

I've got 4 varieties of anubias as well!

That's good to know about the anubias. I am adding most of them to my 70 gallon tank. It has gravel substrate, and I was worried there wouldn't be enough food for them. Also, I remembered you saying I should get some coconut huts, so I've got three of them coming this week, plus a few more pieces of driftwood. I'm going to get rid of all the plastic plants, but I'm keeping the dumb ship and the fake log... although since I put the dojo loach in there, the golden algae eater stays out of the ship more. Maybe it will move into a coconut shell. The loach reminds me of my super annoying dog, I think he thinks the algae eaters are his friends.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2023, 11:40:49 AM »
Jimmy, most of my plants came in the mail today! I have a question about the bacopa. The stems are really long, should I cut them in half and just plant the tops? Or will the bottom half also grow if I stick them in the sand? Most of the leaves are about halfway up the stem.

« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2023, 02:00:30 PM »
Both will grow.  The top bit will grow straight up, but the bottom may grow "branches" where you cut it - you can possibly keep cutting as it grows if you want to go for a more bushy plant rather than a straight stem.

The anubias will grow slowly, occasionally shooting up a new leaf really quickly which is satisfying to watch.  They really don't need much light or extra ferts to grow - you might want some for your stem plants mind.

The worst enemy of the planted tank isn't lack of ferts or the wrong substrate or whatever, it's algae.   Keep an eye out and if you start getting too much then turn your light intensity down!  Like feeding, most people use too much.  Including me..

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2023, 03:24:55 PM »
I was thinking about making my own light risers to get them up a few more inches. I am certain I will need to turn the lights down once everything gets going because the tank gets at least 3 hours of sunlight through the window every morning. I think I am going to be battling the algae. I'll need some little algae eating critters. Hopefully the little snail that hitchhiked to my house on one of the plants will live. I saw it last night on the driftwood.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2023, 02:53:45 PM »

I finally got everything planted! It looks a little pathetic right now, but I think it will look great in a couple months. I'm going to catch a fish and put it in there tomorrow. I will keep an eye on the ammonia, and then add a few more fish in a couple weeks. I'm trying to decide if I should start with baby corys or baby tiger barbs. Eventually I want both, but I love corys more, so probably start with them.

Still trying to decide if i will put something on the back of the aquarium. If I get an algae outbreak, I probably will. Also, I need to scoot the heater closer to the sponge filter. I'm never very good about putting that sort of thing out of sight, but hopefully the bacopa will take off and hide all that anyway. I plan to rearrange how I have everything plugged in, but I keep forgetting. 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2023, 11:12:01 AM »
ALGAE EXPLOSION!!!!

I took out the sponge filter and replaced it with a small internal filter. I dimmed the lights to the lowest setting. Also, I've got 4 nerite snails on the way. lol

« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2023, 01:11:53 AM »
Eek.  What kind of algae?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2023, 06:41:36 AM »
It's that brown furry looking algae, which I think is normal in a new planted tank. There's a little green algae on the back glass. I switched to the internal filter, and did a big water change and a lot of it cleared up. The only critters I have in there are a couple muscles, so they love all the algae. My snails should be here in a couple days, hopefully they will eat brown algae, but idk.  I wanted to get some fish this past weekend, but I have the corone so I couldn't. Maybe this weekend I can make it to the fish store. I'm definitely going to get some otos if they have them.  Oh and I decided to not even turn the lights on today. I think I was overdoing it on the lights and algae outgrew the plants.

« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2023, 08:48:20 AM »
It's that brown furry looking algae, which I think is normal in a new planted tank.
Is it the powdery\slimy brown algae you can wipe off with your finger?  They are diatoms - they should clear up, though if not then the otos will love it - it's like their favourite food.

Green algae on the glass is normal - the snails will have that.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2023, 09:40:29 AM »
Most of it is like fluffy powder, but there are some strings of algae too. I might have to manually clean those off the driftwood with a toothbrush or something.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2023, 07:17:12 AM »
My snails will be here today!

« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2023, 09:25:29 AM »
Most of it is like fluffy powder,
Probably diatoms then.

but there are some strings of algae too.  I might have to manually clean those off the driftwood with a toothbrush or something.
That might be fungus - normal for a new tank, just goes away after a bit.

Don't worry, it won't get all Last of Us.  You watching that by the way?  It's really good!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2023, 11:10:37 AM »
My snails are here! I wonder how long it takes for them to wake up after that long journey. lol

I haven't watched Last of Us, but a bunch of my friends watch it and I am planning to catch up on it eventually.

I want to take a picture of all the anubias I put in the 70 gallon, but I am embarrassed about how terrible I am with superglue. I have it all over the driftwood and my fingers, and somehow on the palm of my hand. lol AND I managed to glue two of them very crookedly to the top of a coconut shell. It's going to take so long for them to straighten out.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2023, 11:57:23 AM »
I am honestly terrified or anything that looks like a worm (maggots, earthworms, bug larvae, etc) but I gotta admit, those rabbit snails actually look cute....... but I wouldn't touch them........

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2023, 01:23:11 PM »
My red root floaters are melting, but the two free water lettuce seem to be happy. After I got those, I realized that I should have got different floaters. I think my water is too hard for the red ones, or something idk.

My snails still haven't moved! That will be $25 down the drain if they don't wake up. I am sure they are alive, though. I know they kind of go into hibernation during shipping, but idk how long they should stay this way.

I can see new growth on the plants, well I could see the growth on the water sprite within a couple days of planting it (it was potted and had lots of roots to begin with), but the bacopa and some mystery stems were cuttings. They've all got new leaves. My tank looks like shit though.

Would it be terribly irresponsible of me to go fish shopping this weekend? I'm probably not contagious, and I could wear a mask. lol I NEED FISH. 

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2023, 02:57:06 PM »
My red root floaters are melting, but the two free water lettuce seem to be happy. After I got those, I realized that I should have got different floaters. I think my water is too hard for the red ones, or something idk.

My snails still haven't moved! That will be $25 down the drain if they don't wake up. I am sure they are alive, though. I know they kind of go into hibernation during shipping, but idk how long they should stay this way.

I can see new growth on the plants, well I could see the growth on the water sprite within a couple days of planting it (it was potted and had lots of roots to begin with), but the bacopa and some mystery stems were cuttings. They've all got new leaves. My tank looks like shit though.

Would it be terribly irresponsible of me to go fish shopping this weekend? I'm probably not contagious, and I could wear a mask. lol I NEED FISH.

As you live in Florida, I would say No.  Actually, I would probably say no regardless of where you reside.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2023, 03:17:15 PM »
You'd be amazed at the number of people who came to visit me while I was fucking sick. I was like, wtf people I have the corone!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2023, 05:09:19 PM »
The nerite snails were dead, and the company gave me a refund. So, I am sad about the snails, but glad I got my money back.

I went fish shopping today. My plan was to buy at least 6 otos, and either 1 or 3 hillstream loaches (depending on how expensive they are). The first store I went to didn't have any otos or hillstream loaches so I went to the other one. They only had 2 otos and no hillstream loaches. I ended up getting the 2 otos, 4 pygmy corydoras, 1 clown pleco, and 2 mystery snails. They get another shipment in on Wednesday, so maybe I can go back and get more otos and corys. I never knew about the tiny little corydoras! They are adorable.

« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2023, 06:34:10 AM »
Good luck with the fish, I need to restock after getting some new harlequin rasboras a few weeks ago, they must have brought something with them as they died and took most of the ones I already had out :(

Anyway, I've just been soaking some redmoor wood for weeks and yesterday added it to my 120 litre tank.  My camera is a bit crap, so it doesn't look as good as it does in RL, but still not bad

and a lovely yoyo loach chillin on a crypt  (Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green')

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2023, 06:51:08 AM »
Your plants look so lush! I can't wait until mine get like that. I also have one of the wendtii green crypts, but it has only been planted for a couple weeks, so it's kinda sparse looking.

one of the otos died last night, probably damaged it when I was trying to condition it to the tank water :(  They're so little.

« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2023, 08:43:01 AM »
one of the otos died last night, probably damaged it when I was trying to condition it to the tank water :(  They're so little.
Apparently lots die and transit and the ones that arrive are pretty stressed - they don't travel well and don't get fed the algae they want. 

I had three out of five survive, which I think is good.  When I see them now they look nice and fat.

I also have one of the wendtii green crypts, but it has only been planted for a couple weeks, so it's kinda sparse looking.
They are pretty easy to grow.  I've only got three different types of plant in there now - three varieties of crypt, several varieties of anubias and the little buce plants on the left.