got some probiotic fish flakes for ruffles and company

• 290 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: got some probiotic fish flakes for ruffles and company
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2022, 08:10:32 AM »
It is small for a pleco, imo. It's a 70 gallon, but I think he needs at least 100. I don't know anyone with a massive aquarium, so I guess I am stuck with the pleco until the end of time. I don't have the money for a bigger tank, although sometimes it's easy to find one used that is pretty cheap. I also don't have room for two big aquariums, but I suppose I could just turn the whole house over to the fish. lol  You have to understand that I did not set the tank up, it was my sister's. All the fish in it were hers. The only thing I've added is the sponge filter on the right end, that ship decoration (there's a golden algae eater in there, and the weirdo loves the ship), and the fake log.  She bought all the fish at a pet store, and they hardly ever tell people just how big a pleco will get. It's very irresponsible of them to not explain this to people!  They will even sell them to people who come in to buy a 20 gallon tank without telling them the fish will one day be too big to swim in it. I don't know why they don't suggest the smaller types of plecos to people with smaller tanks, but I guess they just want to sell them.

Anyway, I would love to make this a planted tank. I have been researching it. Someday I will try to get that going.  My nephew is supposed to be giving me his 20 gallon tank, and I was thinking it would be perfect to start plants in. My sister tried growing plants and they all died. She thought the pleco was eating them, but idk.

Oh, yes. There are neon tetras, red nose tetras, and the stripey ones (whatever they're called).

(sorry about your goldfish, shifter)
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2022, 08:19:16 AM »
Ah, OK it looks smaller than 70 gallon in the picture - maybe because of how big the plec is!

I'm in to growing plants - in fact my tanks are more a garden with fish\shrimp.  Can give you a few tips if you like.

"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Quote from: bulmabriefs144
The woke left have tried to erase photosynthesis

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2022, 08:30:29 AM »
I do think I could use some advice on the plants. Like maybe some easy starter plants, and are the lights I already have good enough for plants? Shit, I can't remember what they are (I will post that later).  I have a gravel substrate, and I can't just switch it out for sand. I know that a lot of plants come in a little pot of rockwool, but is that enough? I know that the guy from Aquarium co-op breaks it open and puts a fertilizer capsule in the middle.

The left end of the tank gets sunlight from a window for most of the day. I was wondering if I should try to start growing on that end.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2022, 07:18:02 AM »
JIMMY, I am planning to get some java fern as I have read that it is very easy to grow and is in all the lists of beginner plants. I know I can just tie it (or glue it) to decorations. What I am wondering is, will it be okay if I don't add fertilizer? I haven't got a set schedule on changing the water yet (in the 70 gallon, I change the 20 gallon every Friday). Don't worry, I have been testing the water. I guess I am wondering if my habit of doing regular water changes will make it so the plants don't have enough food?

Also, I was thinking about gluing some java moss to something. Will it grow on fake decorations, or do I need to glue it to some driftwood?

« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2022, 12:30:44 PM »
JIMMY, I am planning to get some java fern as I have read that it is very easy to grow and is in all the lists of beginner plants. I know I can just tie it (or glue it) to decorations. What I am wondering is, will it be okay if I don't add fertilizer?
Should be fine.  What's the water chemistry like out of your well?   Java fern should be easy, especially if you have soft water.

If you get a bunch of plants, you might want to look at dosing micronutrients (you can buy it premixed).  Plants also need nitrates, but they should get enough of that from fish waste breaking down.  My London tap water is full of nitrates anyway (fertilizer run off into the rivers), yours might be too.

I haven't got a set schedule on changing the water yet (in the 70 gallon, I change the 20 gallon every Friday). Don't worry, I have been testing the water. I guess I am wondering if my habit of doing regular water changes will make it so the plants don't have enough food?
Plants like water changes too - don't worry about it.

Also, I was thinking about gluing some java moss to something. Will it grow on fake decorations, or do I need to glue it to some driftwood?
You can but don't!  Get rid of all that plastic crap out of it and start building yourself a little aquatic garden.  Surely in Florida you can get lots of nice bogwood for cheap?    Otherwise ebay is great - sellers put actual photos up of the ones they're selling, so you can pick one to suit.

If you need a hidey hole for your loach, then you can get stuff like this:

https://aquaessentials.co.uk/collections/mosses/products/3-hole-coconut-with-moss-adds-colour-and-shelter

Java fern is probably best tied or glued to a bit of rock.    If I were you I'd get a big piece of wood of some kind and tie\glue a bunch of anubias to it - they are slow growing but almost impossible to kill and still look great - there's lots of varities:

https://aquaessentials.co.uk/search?q=anubias&type=product%2Carticle%2Cpage%2Ccollection&options%5Bprefix%5D=last

If you want to plant out some stem plants then I'd really recommend cryptocorynes "cyrpts" :

https://aquaessentials.co.uk/search?q=cryptocoryne&type=product%2Carticle%2Cpage%2Ccollection&options%5Bprefix%5D=last

Plant out a few of these round the tank and they will look great.

In terms of light - for these plants I'm sure your lights will be fine.  People usually use too much light and get algae.    Also gravel is fine for planting stuff in - as long as it can hold the plants in place.  Lastly if you want a the most bang for buck with and easy to grow plant - Amazonian Sword:

https://aquaessentials.co.uk/products/echinodorus-bleheri-amazon-sword?_pos=1&_psq=amazoni&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Slap that in and watch it grow (though you might need to dose some ferts).
"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2022, 01:11:27 PM »
All the people on Amazon are complaining about snails in their plants. lol

I like snails, but I don't want to have tons of snails. Then you have to get an assassin snail.

OH, and the water here tests like dark blue for hardness, which is the darkest color on the test strip.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 01:28:01 PM by Space Cowgirl »

« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2022, 01:49:12 PM »
All the people on Amazon are complaining about snails in their plants. lol
The only way to avoid that is with the lab grown "tissue culture" plants - otherwise it's so easy for an egg or two to get in.

I like snails, but I don't want to have tons of snails. Then you have to get an assassin snail.
People get pond snail explosions from excess of something - usually too much fish food.  Assassin snails are cool though - they really do work.   I have YoYo Loaches which kill most snails - which is a shame, as I like them.  Kill shrimps too  :'(

OH, and the water here tests like dark blue for hardness, which is the darkest color on the test strip.
Yeah, mines hard.  Java fern tends to like soft, but you can still easily grow it in hard - you just have to give it a go and see if it likes it.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2022, 03:26:44 PM »
I have a snail in my 20 gallon, I would love to move him into the 70 but I am afraid the algae eaters might hurt him. He's over a year old now, and I think they're not supposed to live past a year old. I will just let him live out his life where he's at.

Just yesterday I put a big chunk of driftwood into the 70, but I don't want to get rid of my fake log! I've got a golden algae eater living in the pirate ship, and a regular Chinese algae eater living in the fake log. They hate each other. I was daydreaming about turning the fake log into a Hobbit house with java moss, and attaching java fern to the skull thingy on the bow of the pirate ship. lol

Oh, and I just read about how to make a java moss wall. That sounds cool, but probably a little advanced for me. I do like those sword plants that look about 2 or 3 inches tall and will eventually carpet your substrate.

I wonder if the plants they sell in the pet store are from tissue cultures. I think I would rather go there and buy stuff than order plants online. At least I can see what I'm getting! (and I could pick up a few more tetras)

« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2022, 02:51:49 AM »
Oh, and I just read about how to make a java moss wall. That sounds cool, but probably a little advanced for me. I do like those sword plants that look about 2 or 3 inches tall and will eventually carpet your substrate.
I've never had any luck with moss, even the "easy" ones just fall apart for me.  I'd try a small bit before you make a wall!

I wonder if the plants they sell in the pet store are from tissue cultures. I think I would rather go there and buy stuff than order plants online. At least I can see what I'm getting! (and I could pick up a few more tetras)
Might be different where you are, but for me the plants you can get online are way better than anything you can find in most of the shops.  Most of the plants over here come from a big Dutch company, Tropica.  They do seem to sell their tissue culture plants in stores as well.   You can see you don't get mature plants though:

https://aquaessentials.co.uk/collections/tissue-culture-plants

So I reckon it would be quite expensive

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2022, 08:22:03 AM »

This guy makes really amazing planted tanks. His videos are great and I think I am learning a lot, but I still don't know how I can get the soil under the gravel without draining the tank and starting from scratch. That's just not an option for me, I don't have anywhere to put the fish, especially the giant plecostomus!

He puts the soil in mesh bags, and I wonder if I could drain the tank down enough that the fish can stay in, but I could move the gravel over put the bags down, put the gravel back on top, refill the tank, put plants in and all that. I wonder how harmful or stressful that would be on the fish. I also wonder just how much soil is necessary. Is it necessary at all? I have very hard water, and most plants seem to like soft water. I also wonder, what if I go to the river and get some native plants, wouldn't they be accustomed to hard water? Oh wait, no the river flows through swampy rotting vegetation so that softens it.  The reason I am thinking about needing soil, besides the nutrients, is that it softens the water eventually. idk. I really want plants now.

« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2022, 09:33:05 AM »
I have that same set up - Aquasoil in those mesh bags  C:-)

I really wouldn't bother if I were you - you can grow successfully in cat litter.   Trying to get that soil in an existing tank with the fish still in it would be a nightmare.   The black soil does look great though.  If you want to do it, then transfer your fish to the other tank for the day and then start from scratch  - take the old substrate out and put the new one in - fill it back up and your filter will still be good.

Unless you're growing advanced plants with a CO2 injection and high light, then you really don't need to be fancy.  Especially as the fancy substrate will make no difference to the epiphytes (the ones you tie to stuff) that I recommended, as they get all their nutrients from the water column. 

Also, it won't have any significant effect in terms of softening your water.  Don't try and adapt your water chemistry for plants - find plants that will grow in your water.  All the ones I recommended will be fine.  If you want soft water then all you can do is create your own by getting a reverse osmosis machine.  The pros often do this, as they create pure water than add their own minerals and ferts to exactly as they want.  If you've got the money and space then go for it - otherwise just accept your water chemistry.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2022, 09:53:07 AM »
Well, I do not have the money to do fancy stuff. I've pretty much spent what I can on it for a few months. I am basically dreaming about it at this point.

I was thinking that an inexpensive way to get some plants in the tank would be to put some floating ones in (besides the ones I can tie to stuff).

« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2022, 12:03:59 PM »
You don't need a big budget.  Start with finding someone selling nice bogwood or driftwood and tie some anubias and java fern to it.   Build this up over time.

Also, big easy plants like an Amazonian Sword are cheap and go grow massively - for a few dollars you could end up with a great specimen.  You can also get bulb plants which are fun - just chuck them in and wait.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2022, 03:48:59 PM »
If I went to the swamp and found my own driftwood, what should I do to it before I put it in the tank? Let it dry in the sun for a few days? Boil it? BOTH?

« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2022, 02:39:10 AM »
If I went to the swamp and found my own driftwood, what should I do to it before I put it in the tank? Let it dry in the sun for a few days? Boil it? BOTH?
Never done it myself - I'm sure there are lots of youtube guides.  Think you have to get a piece that is properly dried out, then lots of soaking.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2022, 06:31:35 AM »
This website has instructions. https://aquanswers.com/where-to-find-driftwood-aquarium/  I was right about boiling it!

It's hunting season, so I will be out in the woods a few times over the next couple months. I think I will try to see if I can find some. It would be really cool if I could get some oak tree roots, but I can't dig up an oak tree. lol

« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2022, 08:38:22 AM »
Go for it - will be pretty satisfying I bet.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2022, 11:43:15 AM »
I just did a water change on the 70 and there's a baby cory! I nearly vacuumed it up, but fortunately it is big enough for me to see. All the fish usually eat all the eggs, but somehow this one survived. I hope it lives.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2022, 12:12:56 PM »
I have not seen the baby cory since, but maybe it's hiding in the fake plants.

Also, my sister in law finally brought that nasty filthy 20 gallon aquarium over. I rescued the loach and put it in the bigger aquarium. I need to scrape all the limescale off the inside of the tank, and get it all cleaned up. Now I can really try to do a planted tank! Oh, and she also gave me two very small aquariums, I don't know how much they hold, maybe a couple gallons. I was wondering if I could do a nano planted tank and just put shrimps and maybe some of those little snails. I don't even know if they're big enough for a single betta, and I don't have heaters for them anyway. They might make good quarantine tanks, if nothing else. (I know nothing about betta fish, so I wouldn't get one until I researched it anyway)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2023, 07:45:44 AM »
I finally ordered all the stuff to do a planted tank! (and some extra because sometimes it is cheaper to buy more stuff, idk) It's so expensive to start from scratch!

Stuff that I ordered or already bought over the past couple months.

Cool piece of mopani drift wood (is soaking in a bucket right now)
10lb bag of pond potting soil
15lb bag of Flourite (don't need all of this, but the 10lb bag of potting soil is not quite enough, just going to add enough of this to make about 1 inch layer)
50lb bag of pool filter sand (way too much sand, but is cheaper than a smaller bag of aquarium sand)
hygger 14w full spectrum light
Easy Root tabs, and Seachem Flourish tabs
heater
sponge filter (I'm going to seed with a sponge filter from another tank)
API Quick Start and Fritz Zyme 7 (I already ordered the API when I saw Fritz Zyme and want to try it)

Plants

Bacopa caroliniana (plus a mystery plant)
Red root floaters (plus a mystery plant)
Bacopa, anubias, java fern (beginner plant starter thing)
Water sprite
2 anubias nanas (I'm going to put some anubias in the other aquarium)

I still need to get some gel superglue, I keep forgetting. Also, I can't decide if I want to get a cheap hob filter, but with all the plants I shouldn't need one. I feel like aquariums are supposed to have them! lol I've probably got an old one I could use, but it may be too big for a 20 gallon and make too much flow. I could probably modify it so the flow skims across the surface more. idk

« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2023, 09:47:42 AM »
Sounds good!  Looking forward to the photos. 

You can also use fishing wire to secure your plants.  Not sure you needed the tabs - only the water sprite will have planted roots  and that will probably grow like weed.

A HOB filter will be much better than your sponge - don't worry about flow in terms of plants, they usually love flow  - some fish aren't as keen though, but I bet it won't be an issue.  What HOB is it?  Keep in mind that if your flow is across the surface then your floaters might all get pushed to one bit.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2023, 10:47:45 AM »
I haven't dug into the box of old filters, but I think it is a Fluval 40. I've already got the stuff I could use as filter media. I could cut one of my Fluval 70 sponges down to fit, and just use some ceramic rings for the bio filtration, plus I have a big piece of polishing cloth I can cut to size. I worry that it might stir up the sand. I'll have to hook it up and see what happens.

EDIT

It's a Fluval 50, but if I switch it to low the flow is even more gentle than my ancient Tetra hob.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:03:44 PM by Space Cowgirl »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2023, 07:24:30 AM »
Aaaaaah! My stuff is arriving out of order. lol Now I'm going to have all the plants before I am ready. The floaters were supposed to come next week, but they are arriving today! The anubias and water sprite are also arriving today.

I have two little plastic 1.5 gallon tanks, I'll just put water in one of them and put the plants in.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2023, 06:22:06 AM »
When you realize you are maintaining a filter, and also have fish, 
you will understand the art of fish keeping.
I think this this is good advice imho.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2023, 09:49:34 AM »
If you spend that much time maintaining a filter, you probably overfeed the fish (I am so guilty of this, but they are HUNGRY) lol

I am still waiting on my main order of plants to arrive. The fuckers haven't even put them in the mail yet. Also, why is sand so dirty? I am going to be washing the sand for days. I guess going the cheap route means you have to do more work.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2023, 10:51:25 AM »
A good set up that has live plants should require minimal maintenance as your aquarium becomes a somewhat self sustaining eco system

But yeah, I've reduced feeding my fish to a few times a week instead of every day. Water stays clearer for longer but damn they must be living on the verge of starvation.

No way their calorie intake is greater than what they expend. But here they still are I guess (I have no plants for them to munch on in between feeds)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2023, 12:31:29 PM »
There's a cranky old man on Youtube called Father Fish, he shouts at you to stop feeding your fish. He also says PUT DEAD THINGS IN YOUR AQUARIUM, and then he putts a handful of dead leaves and dirt from a pond into his aquarium.

« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2023, 06:09:29 AM »
If you spend that much time maintaining a filter, you probably overfeed the fish (I am so guilty of this, but they are HUNGRY) lol

I am still waiting on my main order of plants to arrive. The fuckers haven't even put them in the mail yet. Also, why is sand so dirty? I am going to be washing the sand for days. I guess going the cheap route means you have to do more work.
Fish don't need much food at all.

Did you get white sand?  In which case...good luck.  However some nerite snails and amano shrimp will clean the joint up...though did you say you had loaches in this tank?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2023, 06:49:03 AM »
I got pool filter sand, it's kind of tan. I've got a big plastic tub, and I'm going to put it up on something, dump the sand in, fill it with water and swish it around, and then use my gravel cleaner to siphon off the cloudy water, then do it all over again until it's not so dirty. I would have cleaned it already, but it has been freezing cold outside for the past couple days. Hopefully it will warm up today. I want to get the substrate set up, so I can plant everything right away. The plants that already arrived are still looking good, but it will be nice to get them all planted.

I have one loach, and he's in the 70 gallon. I think I'm going to leave him there, because he seems very happy. He annoys the algae eaters, though. I think he thinks they are his friends. He reminds me of my dog. I don't know what kind of loach he is, but he looks like a dojo loach. He's big!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2023, 07:32:18 AM »
I just saw some Father Fish vids. That guy is a legend! 8)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place