Microsoft Flight Simulatior

• 5 Replies

Shifter

Microsoft Flight Simulatior
« on: July 27, 2021, 10:24:38 PM »
In 2 words. Disappointing. Boring

Tried to fly over my city. Looks nothing like it. Well maybe it will look like it if humans are wiped out and we let 100 years of trees and overgrowth take over. Holy hell, it's like a jungle. Could not recognise any place except for a few landmarks. None of the houses were accurate. Just generic copy/paste mess all over the place.

Was really hoping it would have used Google Earth to map an accurate look. Nope.

Tried flying over Iceland. WTF? Same hot mess. Anyone who's been to Iceland will know they don't really have much in the way of 'trees'. Not here. It's like a jungle in the city. The houses there were also generic and nothing like the style or colour you would see in Reykjavik

Tried North Korea. Looks rich! So many buildings! So many free standing houses too. Just randomly placed, sometimes on top of each other ::)

The plane is also shit. Very slow and seems your maximum height before a stall is barely higher than skimming the buildings. You can skirt over the rooftop of a building one moment and a simple tap to raise your altitude is enough to fly over a mountain top that I know to be 250m high

This is using the free map mode. Was really hoping for it to be more true to life like. Honestly, using Google Street View is more thrilling. I tried the other game mode and flew around Mt Everest. Yawn fest.

I'm downloading some other maps like Tokyo and London. I wonder if these will at least have some attention to detail.

A missed oppurtunity. I thought I'd be glued to the screen all day in amazement but was done with it in 30 mins. Graphically this game is not that mind blowing either. Probably because all the buildings and trees look akin to 'sprites'. Just the same bitmap copy and pasted all over the place. The AI did not do a good job

Oh well. Back to No Man's Sky then lol

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulatior
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 11:47:44 PM »
This game is still in alpha in my opinion.  I could barely get this thing to run.  I guess I'll wait a year and see where it's at.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Shifter

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 12:07:54 AM »
The problem is its been getting so many glowing reviews there isn't going to be a lot of incentive to work on fixing it or making it better

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 04:24:46 AM »
It could simply be the view isn't what you are expecting.

I've had plenty of experience at seeing familiar locations from higher up and one thing I always notices was how disappointed I was at not being able to see anything because all of the damn trees.

Can't say if that's your issue or not, but you sound just like me after seeing my home town from a height and seeing nothing but the damn trees.

No Mans Sky is amazing.  This is a great video on it's development.

Shifter

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 05:01:05 AM »
It could simply be the view isn't what you are expecting.

I've had plenty of experience at seeing familiar locations from higher up and one thing I always notices was how disappointed I was at not being able to see anything because all of the damn trees.

Can't say if that's your issue or not, but you sound just like me after seeing my home town from a height and seeing nothing but the damn trees.

No Mans Sky is amazing.  This is a great video on it's development.

I'm telling you, it's not just 'the view isn't what I was expecting'. It really does look like the developers were going for a post apocalyptic world where humans have not been around for a hundred years. The amount of houses and even city centre buildings buried in trees is laughable

I can look at Google Earth and instantly recognise my city from any distance. This game is a joke and the graphics aren't even impressive. I think this game uses Microsoft's Bing maps. Maybe that's the problem lol

For example, here is Telstra Tower in Canberra

In the game, it's not much better than a metal spike out of the ground. And there are no roads leading to it. No car park at the top. And the mountain is so small it isn't much higher than a building

You can't even fly high in the air. The moment you get what appears to be 100m high or so, the plane stalls lol. I tried to follow familiar roads and there is nothing I could recognise.

I tried to fly over my suburb. Nothing was recognisable. Houses were just randomly dotted around, no 'streets' to follow and apparantly Canberra doesn't have brick homes according to this game and just has crappy looking weatherboard exteriors instead.

Tomorrow I'll check out the actual downloadable packs of Japan and London etc. See if there was attention given there. I get that trying to emulate an entire planet in a game is a massive undertaking and it's easy to just let AI fill in the blanks but Geez, this game uses the internet and satellites have already done the work. It could have just used that

No man's sky is great and frankly has far nicer graphics. But if it had glowing reviews from day 1 I don't think it would look like it does today. That's why I worry that this game won't get the care it seriously needs because the developers have no incentive to do so

Know your place

Shifter

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 05:30:41 PM »
Ok. Tried the Japan downloadable pack. Same issues but looks a little nicer

Tried finding my house. I did end up finding what would be my house and crashed into it. However no plane crashed into my house and I should know because I was sitting in my house playing it at the time :P what bullshit 8)

Anyone who says the graphics in this game are great are kidding themselves. Partly. If you zoom in all the way from Google earth at your house, that level of graphics is what all the roads that aren't major arterials look like (eg streets)

I'm sure my 7 year old kid will like the game though. He's obsessed about maps and cities and drawing them. So I'm sure he'll get a kick out of this

Geez when I was 7 the only graphics available to me were from the Atari 2600 and then later the Sega mega drive

How far we have come...

The game is technically brilliant but the delivery needs a bit more TLC

Know your place