a coincidence that the atmosphere refracts light just the right amount?

• 8 Replies
Is it just a coincidence that the Earth's atmosphere refracts light just enough for the Nikon camera brigade to make their videos?

Has god done this just to piss scientists off?

Is it just a coincidence that the Earth's atmosphere refracts light just enough for the Nikon camera brigade to make their videos?

Is it just coincidence that the supposed diameters of the "moon" and the "sun" and the supposed distances to them are such that during a total solar "eclipse" the former obscures the latter *exactly*?

Is it just coincidence that the supposed diameters of the "moon" and the "sun" and the supposed distances to them are such that during a total solar "eclipse" the former obscures the latter *exactly*?

The moon doesn't obscure the sun *exactly* during the vast majority of solar eclipses. Sometimes the moon appears too small and we see an annular eclipse. Other times the apparent size of the moon is larger than the sun and the total eclipse lasts for longer than a moment (the moon can appear to be up to 6.5% larger than the sun). The rare exception is two points along the path of of a hybrid eclipse where the eclipse changes from annular to total and from total back to annular. This occurs in the situation where the moon appears too small at the beginning and end of the eclipse track, but the spherical shape of the earth brings the surface close enough to the moon for its apparent size to exceed the apparent size of the sun.

The moon is currently receding from the earth by a few centimeters per year. In about half a billion years it will be too far away to ever produce a total solar eclipse again.

Yes, it's a coincidence that the sizes and distances work out to produce eclipses like we see, and it's a temporary situation at that. We just got lucky. Sometimes things work out that way.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
Yes, it's a coincidence that the sizes and distances work out to produce eclipses like we see, and it's a temporary situation at that. We just got lucky. Sometimes things work out that way.
I think that was the point C&C was making - coincidences aren't that hard to find if you just look. The universe is a big place. If we stumble upon a coincidence, it isn't necessarily indicative that there is anything funny going on.

I think that was the point C&C was making - coincidences aren't that hard to find if you just look. The universe is a big place. If we stumble upon a coincidence, it isn't necessarily indicative that there is anything funny going on.

Is it coincidence that you and me come to the same forum? Ha!  A likely story.

I’ve got my eye on you.

If you search for evidence which purports to debunk FE theory, you often see photos of ships and buildings obscured behind the curvature of the earth.  The only conclusion for this is that atmospheric refraction is variable.  According to wikipediai, atmospheric refraction is "a function of the temperature gradient, temperature, pressure, and humidity' which are all variable quantities.  And I've seen variability in the effect of refraction in my measurements as well in a few videos posted online. 

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 10:14:49 AM by amused1 »

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot

Is it coincidence that you and me come to the same forum?

That's the definition of the word coincidence.

Is it coincidence that you and me come to the same forum?

That's the definition of the word coincidence.

Oh is it now?  How very convenient!

The moon doesn't obscure the sun *exactly* during the vast majority of solar eclipses. Sometimes the moon appears too small and we see an annular eclipse. Other times the apparent size of the moon is larger than the sun and the total eclipse lasts for longer than a moment (the moon can appear to be up to 6.5% larger than the sun). The rare exception is two points along the path of of a hybrid eclipse where the eclipse changes from annular to total and from total back to annular. This occurs in the situation where the moon appears too small at the beginning and end of the eclipse track, but the spherical shape of the earth brings the surface close enough to the moon for its apparent size to exceed the apparent size of the sun.

Blah. Blah. Blah. Exactly.

And BTW, I was talking about total solar eclipses, so two of your examples are off-topic.

So it's just coincidence. Thanks for making my point.