Does earths curve in photos match up with continent size?

• 61 Replies
Re: Does earths curve in photos match up with continent size?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2021, 10:40:03 PM »
On foggy days your vision is blocked by much denser atmosphere which blocks out the light.
The light to dark(er) is your horizon.

Meaning, your sky light to ocean creates your imaginary line of your horizon.
I must be completely misunderstanding.  On clear days my vision is blocked by the atmosphere so I see a horizon.  On foggy days my vision is blocked by the atmosphere so I don't see a horizon??

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2021, 10:51:47 PM »
On foggy days your vision is blocked by much denser atmosphere which blocks out the light.
The light to dark(er) is your horizon.

Meaning, your sky light to ocean creates your imaginary line of your horizon.
I must be completely misunderstanding.  On clear days my vision is blocked by the atmosphere so I see a horizon.  On foggy days my vision is blocked by the atmosphere so I don't see a horizon??
Your vision is blocked by the atmosphere over a level surface. The more atmosphere you look through the more obscure it becomes, meaning it will only reflect light back to your eyes from above and below (water) does not allow that light to get back to your eyes so you see the contrast in light to dark of the water to sky.

Basically you are not seeing the water directly, you are simply seeing the darker mass of atmosphere that cannot reflect the light like the upper.

It creates your imaginary horizon line but is not a line at all in reality, it's dark and light mass converging.

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2021, 10:59:24 PM »
Basically you are not seeing the water directly, you are simply seeing the darker mass of atmosphere that cannot reflect the light like the upper.
I'm sorry.  I'm getting 100 times more confused.  Are you saying the atmosphere is in the water?  This sounds crazy!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2021, 11:08:40 PM »
I'm sorry.  I'm getting 100 times more confused.  Are you saying the atmosphere is in the water?  This sounds crazy!
I think you're just game playing. Fair enough.

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2021, 11:27:28 PM »
I think we can conclude you would not the see a full diameter of Earth if it was what we are told, so the pictures and video showing that are basically, a big load of nonsense.

I'm hoping people are watching this and nodding their heads.

A few desperate attempts to rectify monumental mistakes.

I don't understand why seeing an entire diameter of a ball is required.  I'm assuming by "entire diameter" you mean to say 180 degree hemisphere?

The same as any ball here on earth, the closer the viewer is (proportionally) to the ball, the less of the ball they can see.  According to basic geometry and common sense you cannot see an entire 180 degree hemisphere unless the viewer is infinitely far from the ball.  So that in itself is not proof that any photo of a ball is fake.

To take an extreme example, if one were to sail to the middle of the ocean with no land or ships in view, they would see horizon in every direction.  If they take a photo straight down from the top of the mast with an extremely wide lens (8mm is roughly 180 degree field of view) the image could capture the entire horizon.  Even though we know it is a genuine photo, it would only show a radius of 5-10 miles.

So, the photo may or may not be fake, but (to me) the photo is plausible and not proven fake by the fact that you cannot see an entire hemisphere.  Do you agree?  ...or where did I go wrong?
Your horizon is caused by your inability to see very far through the atmosphere.

You do not have any of this in the supposed ISS in supposed space.

Also the camera inside that cupola is not up against any  window.
The cupola juts out and the camera is set back from it, so that makes it even worse.

The who thing is a charade.

Great to see you've finally given up on the earth being flat!

You're absolutely correct! The atmosphere at ground ir sea level, does stop us seeing the horizon clearly. No such problem on board the ISS. That's why from the ISS, they routinely take crisp photos of the horizon and thanks to lack of air and orbit height, the horizon is clearly curved!

Why are you playing charades with cameras and cupolas?

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2021, 11:28:09 PM »

No, no, no I want to understand what you are saying.  How did you learn this?  Is there a good book you can recommend that explains this concept in more clear detail?

What I don't understand is, according to what you said the atmosphere blocks the light.  But the sky which is atmosphere (yes?) is bright, while the water (not atmosphere?) is dark.  Where am I going wrong? 

And more importantly, does it even matter to the question of "full diameter".
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:42:53 PM by amused1 »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2021, 11:58:26 PM »

Just showing the absolute utter garbage shown to us depicting realism.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2021, 12:02:02 AM »

No, no, no I want to understand what you are saying.  How did you learn this?  Is there a good book you can recommend that explains this concept in more clear detail?

What I don't understand is, according to what you said the atmosphere blocks the light.  But the sky which is atmosphere (yes?) is bright, while the water (not atmosphere?) is dark.  Where am I going wrong? 

And more importantly, does it even matter to the question of "full diameter".
Do you accept that the higher you look up the lighter it is. Basically do you accept looking at the sea nd then looking at the sky they are two massively contrasting shades of reflected light back to your eyes?

rvlvr

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2021, 12:03:03 AM »

Because you do not understand how lenses and stuff works. There have been others here with the same problem. It’s nothing new.

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2021, 12:44:22 AM »
Do you accept that the higher you look up the lighter it is.
No.  In my experience the sky is lightest just above the horizon.  The higher I look up, the darker it is (unless I'm looking at the sun - which is to be avoided). I representational photo is linked below.

Basically do you accept looking at the sea nd then looking at the sky they are two massively contrasting shades of reflected light back to your eyes?
I agree.  But how does the atmosphere create said contrast?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 12:49:37 AM by amused1 »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2021, 12:47:51 AM »
Basically do you accept looking at the sea nd then looking at the sky they are two massively contrasting shades of reflected light back to your eyes?
I agree.
Then you should understand those shades will converge to your eye over distance.

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2021, 12:56:23 AM »
I agree.
Then you should understand those shades will converge to your eye over distance.
Converge?  I'm sorry I don't understand what converge means in this context.  Nor am I any closer to understanding how the atmosphere blocking my view creates the image of the horizon, or how any of this proves that the ISS photo is implausible.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 12:58:24 AM by amused1 »

JackBlack

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2021, 02:11:02 AM »
Your horizon is caused by your inability to see very far through the atmosphere.
You sure do love spouting the same old refuted BS again and again.

The horizon is caused by the curvature of Earth. The atmosphere has nothing to do with it.
This is because the atmosphere CANNOT create a horizon. Instead it creates a blur.

The simple photos of round objects show this horizon which you need to continually reject.

You do not have any of this in the supposed ISS in supposed space.
No, instead we have a curved Earth. You know, something actually capable of producing a horizon.

Also the camera inside that cupola is not up against any  window.
The cupola juts out and the camera is set back from it, so that makes it even worse.
No, it just makes your argument nonsense.
You admit the cupola sticks out, so why would the camera need to be pressed against the window?
Your baseless claims make no sense.

Yes, it BLOCKS the light. It doesn't magically create a horizon.
When it is very foggy, you don't see the horizon.

You mean just repeatedly providing absolute, utter garbage to try to reject reality.

Only if there is nothing blocking the view to them.
Like say, an atmosphere.

Again, on a foggy day, we don't see that convergence. We see everything fade to a blur.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2021, 03:20:53 PM »

You have to basically ask yourself what is actually real.
A curve from a supposed ISS at supposedly 420 km.

And then you have JB and Stash's efforts.

What to believe?
Thank you for posting this.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:25:27 PM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

JackBlack

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2021, 03:43:45 PM »
Thank you for posting that.
Is that the supposed globe with space around the edges....the plot has thickened.
It is Earth, taken through a fish eye lens, aboard the ISS.
As it is taken from very close to Earth (6-7% of the radius), it only shows a small portion of Earth, so the continent that is visible appears quite large. The radius of the circle you can see is roughly 2200 km.

The plot hasn't thickened. Scepi is just in his usual denial of reality.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2021, 10:20:20 PM »
Thank you for posting that.
Is that the supposed globe with space around the edges....the plot has thickened.
It is Earth, taken through a fish eye lens, aboard the ISS.
As it is taken from very close to Earth (6-7% of the radius), it only shows a small portion of Earth, so the continent that is visible appears quite large. The radius of the circle you can see is roughly 2200 km.

The plot hasn't thickened. Scepi is just in his usual denial of reality.
There's no denial. The nonsense picture is there for all logical people to see.
The problem with stories is, they need to correlate over time.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2021, 11:31:56 PM »

You have to basically ask yourself what is actually real.
A curve from a supposed ISS at supposedly 420 km.

And then you have JB and Stash's efforts.

What to believe?
Thank you for posting this.

Herein lies the issue with the image - It's shot with a Nikkor (Nikon) 8mm Fisheye lens. Examples have already been shown as to how much spherical distortion can be created by fisheyes. Heck, fisheyes are the number one FE argument against all images that show earth curvature, but that's for another debate. Back to the ISS...

As seen in this photo, 2 Soyez vehicles are docked (Red boxes). Also showing is the proximity and orientation of the docked Soyez's to the Cupola. As well the direction of view through the top of the cupola (Red arrow):

Notice how the view through the Cupola (Red arrow) is straight down toward Earth and runs parallel to the long sides of the Soyez's. And the angle of the side windows.

Now look again at the hyper fisheye picture and notice one of the Soyez's is clearly visible through a side window of the Cupola (Red box):

Now ask yourself how much spherical distortion must be present:

1) To show the Cupola side windows, given their actual angle, as almost flattened on the same plane as the center window
AND
2) To show one of the Soyez's jutting into the image at an angle when it is actually parallel and out of view unless one is looking sideways out of the Cupola, not straight down and through the top of the Cupola like how the image was captured.

That's how much an 8mm fisheye lens spherically distorts images...A lot.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2021, 11:41:53 PM »
The camera lens is not at the windows.
The camera is away from the windows so what you're saying makes zero sense.

rvlvr

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2021, 11:45:01 PM »
Please explain how? The rest of us see a lens perform as expected.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2021, 12:17:52 AM »
Please explain how? The rest of us see a lens perform as expected.
That does not surprise me one bit.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2021, 12:26:36 AM »

Explain why.

Do you understand how a fisheye lens works? In this case an 8MM one. Which is a fisheye lens on steroids, the Nikkor 8 mm f/8 has a field of view of 180°.

JackBlack

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2021, 02:09:42 AM »
There's no denial.
There sure isn't any rational objection.
Instead you just dismiss it as nonsense, with no explanation at all.

If you want to claim the picture is nonsense, explain why.
Otherwise it is just pathetic denial.

Wrong again, as already explained.

Just why do you think it needs to be at the window to make sense?

If it was at the window, then it would only show a single window, not all of them.

rvlvr

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2021, 02:10:11 AM »
Scepti school of how to win:

1) Enter
2) Call bullshit
3) Leave without any explanation or reason given for said opinion
4) Profit and/or another glorious victory for FE
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:13:40 PM by rvlvr »

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2021, 03:59:51 AM »
I own a 7.5mm fisheye lens and have used it to demonstrate what it distorts, and what it does not on the other forum where a user didn't understand what a circle was.

I could easily show some example photos here to correct any of skeptis specific objections... if he actually had any other than just blanket denials of reality.

But if he ever does come up with an actual reason, I'll be ready. I'm a fan of lost causes.

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2021, 10:59:59 PM »

This garbage is beneath you. I want you to do something useful with your time instead of this incessant nonsense. I want you to invent an anti-gravity device.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2021, 11:48:48 PM »

This garbage is beneath you. I want you to do something useful with your time instead of this incessant nonsense. I want you to invent an anti-gravity device.
You are correct with the garbage bit. It is garbage.

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2021, 03:58:29 AM »
Take a picture of a window from INSIDE the house so you see the window frame.
Like 10 ft away or something

Then
Put you camera right up againd the window pane and take another photo.

Please post and let us know if you can see the window frame in 2nd shot.
Also so we can see the wider angle of view grabbed of the outside.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2021, 02:34:50 AM »
No matter how you people try to pretend your super wide/fish eye lens cameras work, you are not seeing a globe in its entirety through the back of a cupola ,a way from the window as we are shown.

This is absolute desperation to try and cover up massive errors and arrogance.

JackBlack

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2021, 02:43:44 AM »
No matter how you people try to pretend your super wide/fish eye lens cameras work, you are not seeing a globe in its entirety through the back of a cupola ,a way from the window as we are shown.
You are the one pretending here.
You aren't seeing the globe in its entirety.
You are seeing a small portion.

If you want to claim it is fake or the like, you will need more than your baseless assertion.

This is absolute desperation to try and cover up massive errors and arrogance.
That does seem to be all you have to offer.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2021, 03:00:49 AM »
You are the one pretending here.
You aren't seeing the globe in its entirety.
You are seeing a small portion.

When so called space is being shown all around the supposed Earth then you are seeing the diameter of it and even if you want to argue you aren't then you can't argue the space around it and you know fine well you could not see any of that from a supposed back view inside a container with a supposed cupola and not even if the camera was stuck to the window, which it is not.

It's not me pretending it's you people being desperate.