Space tourism

• 112 Replies
Space tourism
« on: July 11, 2021, 04:30:53 PM »
So now the era of space tourism has begun.  The conspiracy is way beyond NASA. It involves many countries and corporations, and now people unaffiliated with any corporation or country can book a flight into space.   At what point does this conspiracy stuff end.  A flat Earther can book a trip to Antarctica, can book a trip on a flight in the Southern Hemisphere that by their beliefs cannot exist, and now can book a flight into space.  A flat Earther can look through a telescope or high powered binoculars and see the International Space Station.  No one is stopping anyone from doing any of these things. 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Space tourism
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 04:52:32 PM »
Let us know when you get back from your trip to space!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 08:06:49 PM »
'the era of space tourism has begun?'

Name one pleb who crossed the karman line for fun. One.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 09:54:29 PM »

A flat Earther can book a trip to Antarctica, can book a trip on a flight in the Southern Hemisphere that by their beliefs cannot exist, and now can book a flight into space.
You can also rent a whore.  WooHoooo!!!

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 01:26:33 AM »
'the era of space tourism has begun?'

Name one pleb who crossed the karman line for fun. One.

Here they come. Who decided it should be you to define where space starts.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

JackBlack

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 02:08:38 AM »
The vast majority agree that the border of space is 100 km. This includes organisations like the FAI.
It seems the US just want to reject that as it uses the metric system.

Timeisup

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 02:31:48 AM »
The vast majority agree that the border of space is 100 km. This includes organisations like the FAI.

Vast majority. You’ve asked everyone?
Now that is a poor line even for you! Argument from the alleged majority opinion. Give us a break.

NASA says 260,000 ft , who am I to argue with them they have actually gone into space,but better still who are you to argue?

You been into space? And really what first hand knowledge do you have relating to space? Or are you like everyone else relying on info from experts and the people who have been.

Regardless of what yardstick you prefer. Branson love him or hate him has done a remarkable job in doing something that was once only available to whole nations.

And there is you carping about some mythical line you know nothing about.

What has been designed and manufactured is a rocket plane that can fly to the edge of space and back which is a remarkable achievement by any measure.

What have you ever achieved?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

JackBlack

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 03:02:24 AM »
NASA says 260,000 ft , who am I to argue with them they have actually gone into space,but better still who are you to argue?
Yes, NASA says 50 miles, after bending to the US military, and the US is pretty much alone in that.

Like I said, the FAI, that is an international standards organisation, sets it at 100 km.
Why should I take NASA over them?

You been into space? And really what first hand knowledge do you have relating to space? Or are you like everyone else relying on info from experts and the people who have been.

Regardless of what yardstick you prefer. Branson love him or hate him has done a remarkable job in doing something that was once only available to whole nations.

What has been designed and manufactured is a rocket plane that can fly to the edge of space and back which is a remarkable achievement by any measure.

You sure do love getting angry at everyone.

Timeisup

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 03:12:25 AM »
Yes, NASA says 50 miles, after bending to the US military, and the US is pretty much alone in that.

Like I said, the FAI, that is an international standards organisation, sets it at 100 km.
Why should I take NASA over them?

You sure do love getting angry at everyone.

Bending shmending, who gave you the authority to determine where space starts, something which you have no direct knowledge off.

Is driving on the right correct or how about the left. You want to argue about that?

Which is the correct standard the Imperial or the SI system?  Which do you prefer slugs or kilos?

Whats this FE anger thing that everyone pulls out a hat when they are in a corner.
Anger shmanger.
Get a life jack.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

JackBlack

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 03:32:25 AM »
Bending shmending, who gave you the authority to determine where space starts, something which you have no direct knowledge off.
You sure do love ignoring what has been said don't you.

I'm not the one determining it. I am using the definition agreed upon by the FAI.

Whats this FE anger thing that everyone pulls out a hat when they are in a corner.
Anger shmanger.
Get a life jack.
I'm not in a corner. You are just lashing out at anyone who dares to question you.

Timeisup

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 03:53:13 AM »
You sure do love ignoring what has been said don't you.

I'm not the one determining it. I am using the definition agreed upon by the FAI.

Anger shmanger.
Get a life jack.
I'm not in a corner. You are just lashing out at anyone who dares to question you.

They have a definition NASA has a definition both have definitions. What I am saying to you is on what grounds can you, as an individual, dismiss the NASA one? They are both just definitions!

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/astro-bob/7107873-Astro-Bob-Where-does-outer-space-begin

Read this its all arbitrary anyhow, as space really really begins a long way out. But then again unlike you `I don't profess to being an 'expert' on all things.

Trying to prove some point over this is pointless. Branson went into space as defined by NASA. The other guy, next week will go into space as defined by both NASA and the other standard. So what! The earth will still look pretty much the same and it will be another nail in the well nailed shut coffin of FE belief.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

JackBlack

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 05:03:50 AM »
They have a definition NASA has a definition both have definitions. What I am saying to you is on what grounds can you, as an individual, dismiss the NASA one? They are both just definitions!
Like I said, the FAI is an international standards organisation. Like I said, NASA recently changed their definition to match the US military. Unlike the FAI which has kept it at 100 km.

But hey, as it is just a definition, anyone can use whatever definition they want.
I could say that it is actually jsut 1 km, and loads of people have been to space.
Or I could say it is actually 1 000 000 km, and no one has been to space.

After all, it is just an arbitrary line in the air.
So if we don't want an international standards organisation to define it, lets just ditch the whole idea of any rigid definition.

But then again unlike you `I don't profess to being an 'expert' on all things.
There you go with more blatant lies.
Where have I ever suggested anything of the like?

Trying to prove some point over this is pointless.
So why do you cling to it so much?
Why don't you instead just forget the arbitrary line in the sand and appeal to them going to 80 km?

It's because your claim desperately requires them to have gone to space, as if that magically changes things.
But as others have pointed out, 80 km isn't really that high. It isn't enough for you to easily see Earth as a ball.
As a comparison, if you had a ball which has a diameter of 64 cm, that would be equivalent to be ~ 4 mm from the surface.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 05:12:17 AM »
When tourists start going to the space station the line will be: That's not space, it's just low earth orbit!

When tourists start going to the moon the line will be: That's not space, they haven't left the Earth/Moon system. True space is escaping Earth's gravitational pull entirely.

When tourists start going to Mars the line will be: That's not space, it's still just the inner solar system, true space is the outer planets.

When tourists start going to Jupiter the line will be: That's not space, you have to get past the heliopause.

When tourists start going to other stars the line will be: That's still just in the Milky Way, it's not really outer space until you get to another galaxy.

When tourists start going to other galaxies you would think the Flat Earth debate would end, but I'm sure they will complain that's not outside the observable universe so it doesn't count.

The next few years is going to be entertaining.

Timeisup

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 07:07:01 AM »
Like I said, the FAI is an international standards organisation. Like I said, NASA recently changed their definition to match the US military. Unlike the FAI which has kept it at 100 km.

But hey, as it is just a definition, anyone can use whatever definition they want.
I could say that it is actually jsut 1 km, and loads of people have been to space.
Or I could say it is actually 1 000 000 km, and no one has been to space.

After all, it is just an arbitrary line in the air.
So if we don't want an international standards organisation to define it, lets just ditch the whole idea of any rigid definition.

But then again unlike you `I don't profess to being an 'expert' on all things.
There you go with more blatant lies.
Where have I ever suggested anything of the like?

Trying to prove some point over this is pointless.
So why do you cling to it so much?
Why don't you instead just forget the arbitrary line in the sand and appeal to them going to 80 km?

It's because your claim desperately requires them to have gone to space, as if that magically changes things.
But as others have pointed out, 80 km isn't really that high. It isn't enough for you to easily see Earth as a ball.
As a comparison, if you had a ball which has a diameter of 64 cm, that would be equivalent to be ~ 4 mm from the surface.

Like I say so what! and who the hell is desperate? I went not five mins ago so Im well satisfied.

You don't like the NASA definition big deal. Im sure NASA are quaking in their boots to know that the great space expert that is Jack the Black has a problem with their definition.

I don't give two or even one hoot where the line is. Nasa stated one back in the fifties and Branson took that as his starting point, so what? The reality is he passed that point.

The other billionaire is using the higher definition, so what!
The important fact both will prove that commercial reusable space flight is possible.

Those early aviators who barley flew more than a few hundred yards opened the way for others, and a few years later flights were being made across the Atlantic. Thats why Branson and his achievement are important. The fact that small minded people such as yourself don't want to see this is your own narrow minded problem.

Long live commercial space flight. Though it does pose a problem for those believers of the flat earth. Look there and you might just fined the desperate ones.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

"When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger"
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 12:45:18 PM »
It's telling that the interesting questions like "Does the earth look curved from 260,000 feet?", "Should we expect the earth to look curved from 260,000 feet?" or "Is Virgin Galactic just another part of NASA's cover-up scheme?" are not being asked.  Instead, the definition of where space begins is the topic everyone cares about as if it matters.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 03:03:26 PM »
I think the far more intriguing thing rather than whatever altitude they reached is how long they had the zero G experience. I'm sure it's a great rush to hit mach 3 and the views are amazing, but floating around for 5 minutes would be incredible. Especially considering today the best we have to offer is to suffer the vomit comet for like 30 seconds max per parabola. 5 minutes! Now that is exciting.

JackBlack

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 03:05:35 PM »
Like I say so what! and who the hell is desperate?
But that isn't what you said is it?
Instead you continually objected to the idea of space being defined as 100 km and wanted to cling to it being 80 km so you can claim space tourism has started.

Even now, while trying to claim you don't care, you still try to defend the US military definition, and of course, in doing so blatantly lie about those who dared question you.

Nasa stated one back in the fifties and Branson took that as his starting point
Good job ignoring what has been said.
NASA changed to the 50 mile definition in 2005.
This resulted in them retroactively awarding 3 pilots astronaut wings as they had flown over 50 miles but below 100 km, and thus were not recognised as having gone to space by NASA.

The important fact both will prove that commercial reusable space flight is possible.
You mean he demonstrated that it is possible to fly quite high.
But that was already done.
Space flight is such a broad term, it is almost useless to try grouping this in.

When I think of space flight, I think of flying to another celestial object.

Those early aviators who barley flew more than a few hundred yards opened the way for others, and a few years later flights were being made across the Atlantic. Thats why Branson and his achievement are important.
The fact you seem to be overlooking is that people have already done what he has done.
People have flown to the moon. He is effectively playing catch up.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 03:08:55 PM »

So What ?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2021, 03:14:59 PM »

So What ?

I don't think of space flight as skirting the edge of the mesopause for a few seconds either. 'flight' suggests moving through point to point.

Bransons 'flight' was no more than a roller-coaster ride albeit high up

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 03:45:56 PM »
Actually, it was Karman himself who originally defined it as 52.3 miles.  However, Bezos will be going above 100km next week aboard New Shepard.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 03:50:52 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 03:55:17 PM »
I think it's funny that blackjack warns us where "space" exists.

The arrogance.

Define 'space' you dumb bitch.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 04:05:54 PM »
From Wikipedia

Outer space does not begin at a definite altitude above the Earth's surface. The Kármán line, an altitude of 100 km (62 mi) above sea level, is conventionally used as the start of outer space in space treaties and for aerospace records keeping.

Only America shifted the goal posts so they could boast about getting people up there and awarding token 'wings' badges

This page is also worth a read
https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/content/where-space

They attempt to explain a 'hard edge' at 118km (72 miles)

Now it has to be said, during Bransons live feed, that female host was a dumb bimbo

She said that Branson would be 'outside the atmosphere'.  Even the ISS is still within our atmosphere FFS LOL and they are at least 5x higher than Bransons ride got

When he was 25000ft high she explained the delay in transmission was because 'of the long distance'. Seriously?

This ride of Bransons is not new. It's not pioneering. It was just a marketing exercise.

Know your place

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 04:31:32 PM »
Billionaire Disneyland     ::)     

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 04:36:35 PM »
Billionaire Disneyland     ::)   

Pretty much!

Know your place

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2021, 04:40:42 PM »
This ride of Bransons is not new. It's not pioneering. It was just a marketing exercise.
It was also the 4th manned test flight above 82km.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2021, 12:35:36 AM »
Many astronauts who have seen the earth from space (even low orbit, and possibly sub orbital) report what a humbling experience it is.  They say it changes your perspective and emphasizes the need for humanity to work together and look after the planet, rather than fight over land and resources.  These people have generally been pilots, scientists, engineers, etc.

I wonder if the outrageously super wealthy will have a similar  experience?  Will Bezos, Branson, etc start to think they don’t need to personally horde such a ridiculously huge slice of the pie and feel the need to contribute a bit towards society?  Or will they have a very different experience on seeing the world’s resources as finite and want to grab even more for themselves?

If it’s the former, then maybe some good will come of space tourism, although I have my doubts.

rvlvr

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2021, 01:46:52 AM »
Nah, they just see a planet they need to fleece, hoard more.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2021, 01:51:04 AM »
So now the era of space tourism has begun.  The conspiracy is way beyond NASA. It involves many countries and corporations, and now people unaffiliated with any corporation or country can book a flight into space.   At what point does this conspiracy stuff end.  A flat Earther can book a trip to Antarctica, can book a trip on a flight in the Southern Hemisphere that by their beliefs cannot exist, and now can book a flight into space.  A flat Earther can look through a telescope or high powered binoculars and see the International Space Station.  No one is stopping anyone from doing any of these things.
Ive never looked into the antartica stuff much but if they just offer you a single vantage point to check things out,or even a dozen, thats pretty limited. Its not like your allowed to go exploring from what i understand. Sorry didn't read all this.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2021, 01:53:31 AM »
But space, yeah if peeps really start going up there it will be another obstacle for fe movement. But the truth will prevail. I think it possible that it actually looks something like sperical from way up there. There were ancinet descritpions invovling flat earth and spherical sky from what i understand.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2021, 05:23:43 AM »
I admit that some of the things that people can do, that disproves FE, are difficult (but not impossible).  So you can't afford a flight high enough to see the curvature, or go to the Antarctic.  But, more reasonable are flights in the Southern hemisphere, that would be impossible to do according to FE maps.  I personally do not have to book a flight in the Southern hemisphere as I have no reason to disbelieve published flight schedules, and testimony of people who booked them.  There is a wealth of evidence that these flights exist on a very regular basis.  If you don't believe the evidence, then you can disprove it by booking one of those flights and seeing what happens; Or, even more simply, looking at the space station through a telescope.  It will appear at a published time, and you will be able to make out its unmistakable shape.   At some point FEers have to put up or shut up and do something conclusive other than spouting contradictory beliefs and theories that constantly change.