I just had this amazing idea to promote tolerance of the gay community?

• 68 Replies

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
I'm going to tell my kids that pretty much all their Aunts and u cles are gay but don't ask them about it because they haven't come out yet.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
I'm going to tell my kids that pretty much all their Aunts and u cles are gay but don't ask them about it because they haven't come out yet.

That's hilarious because I'm a real life example (sample size of one) how your master plan actually works.

My Mom's sister and brother were gay (both have since passed). Pretty early on my sister and I figured it out. They each had a couple of different very long-term "roommates" over the years when they seemingly didn't at all need to have roommates at 30-40-50 years of age. And the "roommates" were always in attendance at family events, high holidays, etc. They were totally treated as family and as extra aunts and uncles to us.

When we finally asked my Mom about it, she literally explained the same thing, "They are gay, which is totally fine with all of us, their partners are part of the family, but they haven't come out yet to all of us, well, because some family members may be uncomfortable with it and your Aunt and Uncle probably think you might be uncomfortable with it too...." That last part kinda broke my heart.

As an ultimate result, at a relatively young age, in a smallish town where homophobia wasn't rampant, but being gay was certainly not OK, I was totally cool with it. Had some very closeted gay friends that came out to me in high school, but to no one else. That kind of thing.

All because two of my favorite people on the planet, my Aunt and Uncle, were gay and it taught me that with whom you adore, sleep with, partner with, is just as fabulous, laudable, cherished, and celebrated as the man-woman construct is. No difference.

?

Jamie

• Retired
That's a really touching story, Stash. Thanks for sharing!
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
Tolerance of the gay community.  Can you clarify what you mean by that?  Isn't the gay community tolerated already.  I don't see the gay community being round up and taken to reeducation camps, tossed in prisons, or executed in the streets, so what kind of tolerance are you speaking of?
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

?

Jamie

• Retired
Well, considering that gay conversion therapy is still legal, that gays and trans folks are disproportionately assaulted, raped, and murdered, and that in some countries gays are literally executed in the streets...
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Tolerance of the gay community.  Can you clarify what you mean by that?  Isn't the gay community tolerated already.  I don't see the gay community being round up and taken to reeducation camps, tossed in prisons, or executed in the streets, so what kind of tolerance are you speaking of?

Wow, the ignorance on display here is astounding

Sure, it's better than what it was in the 80s and 90s, but it's still a long way from being widely 'tolerated'

I actually hate the word 'tolerated'. You shouldn't 'tolerate' a gay person - you should just see them as normal as you would see a hetero couple. Tolerate has the wrong connotation. How would you like it if I said I 'tolerate you and your wife being together'. Sounds kinda shitty and that I am opposed to it on the inside.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

?

Jamie

• Retired
Ding ding ding!

I always feel inclined to respond to these threads because I think I'm the only gay guy on these forums. Pezevnek might be bi? I don't remember.

But yeah, "tolerate" sucks. That makes us feel like morning traffic -- you don't really like it, but you can deal with it most of the time. Like, thanks? That fucking sucks.

I'd rather you just not see us. Not really anyways. Do you see hetero couples? Really see them? No, you just see a couple and don't think twice about it. That's the goal.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Speaking only for myself, I don't really have that much of a problem with someone being gay.  It's the flamboyance and/or in your face attitude of some gays (and even not gays) that I don't particularly care for.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Speaking only for myself, I don't really have that much of a problem with someone being gay.  It's the flamboyance and/or in your face attitude of some gays (and even not gays) that I don't particularly care for.

8)

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Tolerance is all anyone can reasonably expect from others.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Jamie

• Retired
Space Cowgirl is probably right -- tolerance is the best we'll realistically get.

I can mostly go about my day without getting any dirty stares or catching a slur. It happens here and there.

It's better to just lower your expectations for the decency of other human beings than it is to expect more from them.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Ding ding ding!

I always feel inclined to respond to these threads because I think I'm the only gay guy on these forums. Pezevnek might be bi? I don't remember.

But yeah, "tolerate" sucks. That makes us feel like morning traffic -- you don't really like it, but you can deal with it most of the time. Like, thanks? That fucking sucks.

I'd rather you just not see us. Not really anyways. Do you see hetero couples? Really see them? No, you just see a couple and don't think twice about it. That's the goal.

An interesting point.  Definitely worth thinking about.

This probably isn't relevant but I feel I should explain my thought process in creating this thread.

It was 2am and I was pretty drunk and watching Promising Young Woman.  Then I thought to myself,
"Wow rape culture sucks!" 
"What can I do?"
"I know!  I'll tell people that my in-laws are gay!  I should immediately announce this plan on the Flat Earth Society!"

You might say this is a completely irrational, possibly offensive chain of reasoning.  And I would agree but this is my brain on drugs.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Space Cowgirl is probably right -- tolerance is the best we'll realistically get.

I can mostly go about my day without getting any dirty stares or catching a slur. It happens here and there.

It's better to just lower your expectations for the decency of other human beings than it is to expect more from them.

This is really the truth. I mean, it would be nice if we could all see the humanity in others, but people are assholes. Women learn this harsh truth very early in life.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Jamie

• Retired
You might say this is a completely irrational, possibly offensive chain of reasoning.  And I would agree but this is my brain on drugs.

I thought it was a cracked egg?  ;)

This is really the truth. I mean, it would be nice if we could all see the humanity in others, but people are assholes. Women learn this harsh truth very early in life.

This is very unfortunately the sad reality of the situation.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot

Men learn it even earlier.
Successful people don't complain.

JJA

• Math is math!

This is exactly what having a problem with gays looks like.

You are saying it's ok to be gay, as long they aren't gay around you.

You are free to dislike anything you want, but you can't expect others to behave/dress/act according to your sensibilities. Other people can dress however they want, just like you can dress however you want.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
My best friend is gay and you probably wouldn't know it because he doesn't put on the lisp, display overt femininity or wear a man bag or a shirt 2 sizes too small. Not all gay people fit into the stereotype.

Personally, idgaf how they behave, normal or flamboyant. But if we talk about the extremes, I'm actually more put off by the stereotype of some alpha male sitting with his legs wide open, drinking piss and talking loud and crude than I am of some guy behaving a bit feminine

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
It's all a matter of perspective.

To a group of alpha males, you're the weird and annoying quiet one who is a stick in the mud and can't take a joke or handle a little horsing around.

To a group of flamboyant gays, you're an annoying repressed guy they have to walk on eggshells around so they don't offend your sensibilities.

You have to step outside your comfort zone and try and imagine someone elses perspective once in a while.

Everyone tends to think how THEY behave is normal and any other behavior is wrong and needs to stop being weird.

Just look at all the "People who take selfies are idiots and stupid and shallow!" hate.  It's ok that someone likes something you don't.

?

Jamie

• Retired
True, but people are naturally tribal and usually have an us vs. them mentality.

And the truth is, us gays have always been -- and will always be -- significantly outnumbered, and there are also deeply entrenched religious and social beliefs against us which won't just vanish anytime soon.

Believe me, I'd like acceptance. I don't want people to go through the same crap I did. But I don't expect it. Again, lowering my standards for the behavior and decency of others is far more realistic.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn

If I'm being honest then I've got to say that the ultra flamboyant types sort of rub me the wrong way.

But I've come to the conclusion that this is my problem, not theirs. I mean we're talking about anesthetics and fashion here, not behavior or conduct.

It's like being angry at everyone buying SUVs and crossovers, which is something I also do but it's also irrational.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
What really pisses me off is average sized people.  How dare they just roam freely amongst us flaunting their average size!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones

This is exactly what having a problem with gays looks like.

You are saying it's ok to be gay, as long they aren't gay around you.
Flamboyant doesn't necessarily mean gay.   

You are free to dislike anything you want, but you can't expect others to behave/dress/act according to your sensibilities. Other people can dress however they want, just like you can dress however you want.
???  When did I say anything about my expectations?  Just because I don't like something doesn't mean that I expect someone to do something about it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 06:27:54 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
That's a lovely story Stash.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
This sums it up.

Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

?

Jamie

• Retired
This sums it up.

Wouldn't that be lovely were it true!

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
Yes, amazing tolerance. Had a couple of friends beaten up by strangers but at least they weren't executed, so that's cool. Also the anti-cybercrime force literally spying on me (apparently not being straight is cybercrime) and exposing me to my parents as bisexual because they're creepy homophobes was so awesome.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Yes, amazing tolerance. Had a couple of friends beaten up by strangers but at least they weren't executed, so that's cool. Also the anti-cybercrime force literally spying on me (apparently not being straight is cybercrime) and exposing me to my parents as bisexual because they're creepy homophobes was so awesome.

I think NSS was referring to the US but wow, that's fucked up.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist

I think NSS was referring to the US but wow, that's fucked up.

Idk about the US because I don't know people there, but I do know similar stuff happening in the UK. Not the cybercrime thing though, that's probably a uniquely Greek thing because the Cyber Crime Division is extremely evil and corrupt.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 04:45:24 AM by Pezevenk »
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

JJA

• Math is math!
Some more examples of the 'tolerance' that the gay community has to deal with.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/18/dozens-arrested-in-los-angeles-as-anti-trans-protest-outside-spa-turns-violent

The right wing anti-gay-trans movement is certainly gaining steam. They seem to be merging with the Q groups as well. It looks like Republicans are finding traction in focusing on anti-trans rhetoric now that most people (even lots of conservatives) really don't get fired up about 'the gays corrupting our youth' any more and are switching to 'save the women and children from the trans'.

It's the same old story, whenever a minority group starts to make progress, the conservatives have a freak-out about it and fight back with even worse discrimination and hate.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Why do you think the man who exposed his dick to little girls was gay? Or even trans?