20 years to get to Alpha Centauri

• 40 Replies

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Re: 20 years to get to Alpha Centauri
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2021, 10:40:38 AM »
As far as we know, uploading into a computer is simply an engineering challenge.
As far as we know....that's the point, we don't know.

To assume the challenge lies in the same domain as making a smaller phone or faster car, may be making a fundamental error in the first place.

I'm not sure what fundamental error we could be making that would cause it to be impossible.

As long as neurons are made of atoms, and we have no reason to believe otherwise, they work just like anything else in the universe and it's only a matter of being able to examine them in detail.

It might take us 50 years or 500 but there is nothing at all in physics that would make it impossible.

We could do it with some sort of extreme precision fMRI, or freeze a brain and scan it in slices, or even engineer neurons to have the ability to perform a read-out on command.

Just an engineering issue. We can already take apart a single neuron atom by atom. Just have to do it a whole bunch more. :)

The goal is to replicate consciousness without biology. So no neurons in the classical sense

The goal of copying a brain into a computer is to get it into the computer, the method doesn't matter. Biological, technological or magical. Anything that works is a valid solution.

I am thinking of having a human like level of consciousness but in a system that has no biological components. Biology degrades and needs constant maintenance and fuel. A computer just needs energy which (if we are at this level of tech) should be no problem to get anything we want from the sun

Computer components fail.

No kidding. But you can have a computer running for years. And if said computer was in an ultra low temperature environment (eg a few degrees K) it could run for thousands of years. And in a simulation where every real second could last years if you chose, it's going to be as good as immortality as you can get.

Biology just wont cut it in the future. It is far too high maintenence and succumbs too easily 
Automated robots could a

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2021, 12:26:51 PM »
And in a simulation where every real second could last years if you chose, it's going to be as good as immortality as you can get.

Or maybe we accidentally invent hell?  Eternal suffering for the departed/uploaded.  That would be quite an achievement.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »
And in a simulation where every real second could last years if you chose, it's going to be as good as immortality as you can get.

Or maybe we accidentally invent hell?  Eternal suffering for the departed/uploaded.  That would be quite an achievement.

The TV series Black Mirror had something like that. It wasn't 'hell' per say but imagine being stuck all alone for basically an eternity. Might be an interesting way to punish criminals https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Christmas_(Black_Mirror)

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Lorddave

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2021, 08:52:21 AM »
Eh.  The lack of hormones would make us very boring. 
We'd need to program that, account for biological randomness like extra adrenaline or lower testosterone, etc..
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2021, 11:21:51 AM »
Sci-fi nonsense.

Does light impart momentum on reflection - no. 

End of transmission (and fantasy).

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2021, 11:41:45 AM »
Sci-fi nonsense.

Tell that to the bozos then who think painting an asteroid white could alter its path
https://www.techtimes.com/articles/223520/20180323/nasa-can-use-paint-to-save-earth-from-asteroid-impact.htm

Also read here regarding using lasers to propel a space craft
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_propulsion

Know your place

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 11:46:59 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "impart momentum on a reflection", but photons can, indeed, impart momentum on objects.  Why do you think that the tail of a comet always points away from the sun?
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/physics/chapter/29-4-photon-momentum/
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2021, 11:53:36 AM »
Sci-fi nonsense.

Tell that to the bozos then who think painting an asteroid white could alter its path
https://www.techtimes.com/articles/223520/20180323/nasa-can-use-paint-to-save-earth-from-asteroid-impact.htm

Well someone thought a nuke could stop an asteroid but then it would break apart and still come at us.
And white paint is stupider than the nuke.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2021, 12:42:46 PM »
Sci-fi nonsense.

Well someone thought a nuke could stop an asteroid but then it would break apart and still come at us.
And white paint is stupider than the nuke.

Well if you smashed a lot of white paint on an asteroid to cover it decades before a collision with Earth, it might be enough for the sun to nudge it ever so enough it avoids the Earth. Of course, decades before a potential collision is always a game of chance. You just can't get that level of assurity that far out

Nukes are dumb because now you have an irradiated asteroid and debris smashing into the Earth.

Know your place

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2021, 01:59:55 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by "impart momentum on a reflection", but photons can, indeed, impart momentum on objects.  Why do you think that the tail of a comet always points away from the sun?

They are scared of it and running away.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2021, 09:50:07 AM »
Sci-fi nonsense.

Such a detailed analysis with plenty of references, sources and explanations.  I'll be sure to file it in the appropriate bin...  ::)