Do you believe the earth is flat?

• 169 Replies
Re: Do you believe the earth is flat?
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2021, 08:06:54 PM »
I know the earth is not a globe.
What brings you to that conclusion?
Let's keep it on topic folks (not calling out you - just the whole thread seems to be turning into an argument.)

That said, evidence contradicts the idea that the earth is a globe. Therefore, it is not.
what is this evidence?
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

JackBlack

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2021, 01:13:10 AM »
Vsauce goes into this. There's some compelling arguments for the flat earth (plus the vid features this society) 8)
Really?
I don't recall any compelling arguments for the flat Earth in that video.
Just what part do you think is one?
The relativistic contraction which can theoretically make a round object appear flat, which in no way works for people living on Earth?
Yes
So your compelling argument is that Earth, which is round, i.e. roughly a globe, can be perceived as flat if you are travelling at a very high speed relative to it?
In stark contrast to the current FE models?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2021, 02:37:12 AM »
Vsauce goes into this. There's some compelling arguments for the flat earth (plus the vid features this society) 8)
Really?
I don't recall any compelling arguments for the flat Earth in that video.
Just what part do you think is one?
The relativistic contraction which can theoretically make a round object appear flat, which in no way works for people living on Earth?
Yes
So your compelling argument is that Earth, which is round, i.e. roughly a globe, can be perceived as flat if you are travelling at a very high speed relative to it?
In stark contrast to the current FE models?

From our limited perspective, yes.

I simply pointed out a video of a popular guy that tried to articulate some answers of some of the flat earth arguments. Sorry for triggering y'all  :-\

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

JackBlack

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2021, 04:02:27 AM »
I simply pointed out a video of a popular guy that tried to articulate some answers of some of the flat earth arguments. Sorry for triggering y'all  :-\
No, you simply claimed it contains some compelling arguments the flat Earth. That is not what it contained.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2021, 04:16:02 AM »
No, you simply claimed it contains some compelling arguments the flat Earth. That is not what it contained.

They are what flat earthers consider compelling. It is the flat earth standard

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2021, 04:38:22 AM »

It's a video debunking some common flat earth claims.  Trying to claim it as 'compelling evidence' is about as dishonest as you can get.

Now... if you watched that video and seriously thought it provided good, compelling arguments for the earth being flat and made you a true flat earth believer and are honestly presenting it as your reasons for your beliefs, well that's evidence of another problem entirely.  :P

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2021, 04:47:30 AM »

It's a video debunking some common flat earth claims.  Trying to claim it as 'compelling evidence' is about as dishonest as you can get.

Now... if you watched that video and seriously thought it provided good, compelling arguments for the earth being flat and made you a true flat earth believer and are honestly presenting it as your reasons for your beliefs, well that's evidence of another problem entirely.  :P

Am I in a round earth forum? No. I provided a video that explained the arguments and reasons some flat earthers have for their belief or reasoning. On a flat earth forum, those reasonings are good enough for a flat earth standard. It may not be my standard but on this flat earth forum, it is enough

Now, you can debate it if you like, no one is stopping you. But in line with the OP and questioning, I provided a video which articulated the flat earths arguments. Yes VSauce is an uber cool globe earther and yes, despite the video and the video featuring this very forum, John Davis has refused to get in touch with VSauce for.... Reasons? Go ahead and ask John.

John! When are you going to get in touch with VSauce? He hasn't uploaded much in a while so maybe he has the time for an interview with you. It could be the boost this forum needs to attract more people if its featured on a YouTube channel which literally gets millions of views in the days after a new upload. That could be MILLIONS OF SUBSCRIBERS TO THIS FORUM!!!! What say you John? You in? 8) Cool. I'll DM VSauce and let him know your interested. Thanks!

But at least Michael (VSauce) wasn't a dick like most of this forum when it comes to presenting flat earth arguments. Remember, Flat Earth forum = Flat Earth standards. If you believe your globe Earth standard is much higher, great! But that high level is not needed on this forum for discussion purposes

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2021, 05:06:11 AM »
Remember, Flat Earth forum = Flat Earth standards. If you believe your globe Earth standard is much higher, great! But that high level is not needed on this forum for discussion purposes

Wow. This explains so much.

You don't think a high level of arguments is needed here, so just kind of throwing out random half-baked troll-like responses is what you seem to think a flat earth argument is.

That an... interesting argument.  :P

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2021, 05:09:35 AM »
Remember, Flat Earth forum = Flat Earth standards. If you believe your globe Earth standard is much higher, great! But that high level is not needed on this forum for discussion purposes

You don't think a high level of arguments is needed here, so just kind of throwing out random half-baked troll-like responses is what you seem to think a flat earth argument is.

Indeed, but it is the standard this forum lives by

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2021, 05:37:47 AM »

Indeed, but it is the standard this forum lives by

All righty. I suppose I'll need to lower my standards to the level you flat earthers expect. I doubt I can stick with it for long though, actual arguments and rational debate is bound to slip in.

But I'll try!

Earth isn't flat cause I looked out my window and I see a hill, therefore, earth not flat. Boom! Busted!

Atoms are not flat, so any object made from them can not be flat therefore, earth not flat. Hah!

No true two dimensional objects exist therefore the earth can not be a plane. Earth not a plane! Since it's not a plane, it can't fly and therefore that disproves UA too!

This is kind of fun...

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2021, 06:00:37 AM »
It's all about scale. Take your razor blade. Looks pretty flat, smooth, sharp etc. Now view it under an electron microscope. Doesn't look so flat anymore.

Earth is the same. Up close it looks or jagged and messy like the guys face you ordered fast food from but from afar it looks polished, smooth and immaculate like a the faces in a KPOP band

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2021, 06:22:26 AM »
It's all about scale. Take your razor blade. Looks pretty flat, smooth, sharp etc. Now view it under an electron microscope. Doesn't look so flat anymore.

Earth is the same. Up close it looks or jagged and messy like the guys face you ordered fast food from but from afar it looks polished, smooth and immaculate like a the faces in a KPOP band

You're right, it does look all smooth and polished from afar. Like a tiny perfect little marble. Just like a KPOP band members... uh... nevermind.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2021, 06:29:27 AM »

You're right, it does look all smooth and polished from afar. Like a tiny perfect little marble. Just like a KPOP band members... uh... nevermind.

Sorry, not seeing anything marble shaped here. What did you have in mind?

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2021, 06:30:17 AM »

I don't want to get arrested.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2021, 06:45:27 AM »

Hmmm. I found this other band. Does it have marble shapes like how you imagine the Earth to look like from space?

Know your place

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2021, 07:23:33 AM »
I Think the way this discussion has gone proves the point in relation to the flat earth dilemma.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2021, 08:40:57 AM »
I plead the 5th.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2021, 08:57:12 AM »

Hmmm. I found this other band. Does it have marble shapes like how you imagine the Earth to look like from space?

What has happened?
Though those are some rather lovely ladies i spy....
But anyways we need to stay on topic.
This is just asking if you are a flat earther or not.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2021, 09:09:45 AM »
What has happened?
Though those are some rather lovely ladies i spy....
But anyways we need to stay on topic.
This is just asking if you are a flat earther or not.

Sometimes using imagery and a little humour can break some ice and get people to think and understand concepts. They dont have to agree with the concepts but the discourse in the upper forums is starting to get too toxic. Everyones out for a 'gotcha' or just being plain nasty

So if you say Earth is not flat because mountains, well I say your razor blade is not flat if you look close enough too.

The microcosm world is fascinating. It's seriously looks like a whole new dimension of reality - It makes you wonder if our macro world is all there is? Or are we simply just a microcosm of something even greater. Maybe our universe is some aliens dandruff or something. Meh. ::)

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2021, 09:45:23 AM »
So if you say Earth is not flat because mountains, well I say your razor blade is not flat if you look close enough too.

Do you agree that "the earth is flat because I looked out the window and it looks flat" is also just as flawed of an argument?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2021, 09:50:58 AM »

Do you agree that "the earth is flat because I looked out the window and it looks flat" is also just as flawed of an argument?

I believe people shouldn't be so easily triggered by people being facetious. I believe 'look out your window' is just a running joke, like 'he is' 8)

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2021, 09:58:48 AM »

I believe people shouldn't be so easily triggered by people being facetious. I believe 'look out your window' is just a running joke, like 'he is' 8)

If you don't think "it looks flat" hasn't been used as a serious argument, you need to lurk moar.  ;D

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2021, 10:10:11 AM »
No Shifter, the earth doesn't resemble A Cups.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2021, 10:50:32 AM »

If you don't think "it looks flat" hasn't been used as a serious argument, you need to lurk moar.  ;D

It can also be used when the flat earther could not give a shit about entertaining you with a serious answer because they know you wouldn't bother to read or take it seriously. I mean, why spend the time going sandokhan level of answers when the person is not even going to bother reading it and just blowing you off.

You say you want to learn and stuff but you foster an environment where no one is going to take the time to be serious with you. Maybe respect is a 2 way street? It is where I live anyway

Know your place

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2021, 01:57:26 PM »
No.

JackBlack

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2021, 02:41:15 PM »
No, it wasn't.
Just what FEer do you know of that considers a very high velocity particle in any way a compelling argument for the FE?

And in no way did you indicate we should use a FE standard. This forum is not just open to FEers. It is open to everyone.
That means it doesn't just use a FE standard of "Earth is flat, everything that says otherwise is wrong"

but the discourse in the upper forums is starting to get too toxic. Everyones out for a 'gotcha' or just being plain nasty
Have you considered trying to be less toxic then?

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2021, 02:43:06 PM »
No, it wasn't.
Just what FEer do you know of that considers a very high velocity particle in any way a compelling argument for the FE?

And in no way did you indicate we should use a FE standard. This forum is not just open to FEers. It is open to everyone.
That means it doesn't just use a FE standard of "Earth is flat, everything that says otherwise is wrong"

but the discourse in the upper forums is starting to get too toxic. Everyones out for a 'gotcha' or just being plain nasty
We all need to calm down and answer the question.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2021, 03:56:49 PM »

It can also be used when the flat earther could not give a shit about entertaining you with a serious answer because they know you wouldn't bother to read or take it seriously. I mean, why spend the time going sandokhan level of answers when the person is not even going to bother reading it and just blowing you off.

You say you want to learn and stuff but you foster an environment where no one is going to take the time to be serious with you. Maybe respect is a 2 way street? It is where I live anyway

Lurk moar.  I've seen that as a serious answer in many threads, plenty I'm not involved with. I'm sure some times it's a joke, some times it's serious. 

I'm not even going to comment on the quality of sandokhan level answers.  ::)

If you give me an actual serious answer and you will get a serious response, as seen in plenty of other threads. Troll with a video and a snarky one liner, and no you don't get or deserve a serious response. I've got serious and silly responses in this thread, and expect to be replied in kind to each.

Trolling is fun and that's fine, but it does not foster an environment where anyone wants to take the time to be serious with you.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2021, 04:41:49 PM »
No, it wasn't.

I'm already orders of magnitude less toxic than you. You've never been pleasant or jovial here. Never cracked a joke or been sarcastic. Never had a LOL moment. Ever

Tell me, have you ever been diagnosed as being on the Autism Spectrum Disorder? Because your socially awkward as F. No offence.

Know your place

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2021, 01:30:14 AM »
No.
“Once, every village had an idiot. It took the internet to bring them all together.”