Indiana Jones 5 anyone?

• 20 Replies

Shifter

Indiana Jones 5 anyone?
« on: May 20, 2021, 11:03:11 PM »

Going to be brought to you by Disney!

The first 3 were awesome. The 4th jumped the shark and this 5th one? What do you think? Were you hanging out for it? Did you want one? Does it need one? Does having Disney in control fill you with confidence they will make it the BEST ONE EVER!?

Or is this yet another case where Disney wants to take a name and think they can just slap whatever pile of garbage together to 'print money' from the suckers that watch it

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Indiana Jones 5 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 07:07:03 AM »
It could be good. The Mandalorian was great, so just because it's Disney doesn't mean it will suck.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 07:18:14 AM »
No Shia?  Are we just supposed to forget that ever happened?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Shifter

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 07:20:40 AM »
It could be good. The Mandalorian was great, so just because it's Disney doesn't mean it will suck.

The character is an adventurer though and he is 78 years old. It's really time he hangs up the fedora and retires the character. Not sure what adventures will be relevant to Indiana Jones the character in 1960s civil rights movement America. I just hope it's not another Disney woke project lol

Still, it doesn't have to be the 60s. In the 3rd movie he drank from the cup of Christ so he should have a very long life span if the lore is correct. They could set it today or in a future and it won't be out of place

Certainly not as dumb as surviving a nuclear bomb blast in a fridge that gets thrown and bounced around without a dent to the fridge or bruise on his body like in the 4th movie lol

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 08:09:40 AM »
I'd be fine if they never made another Indiana Jones film again.  They have been trying to duplicate the first one with ok to awful results.

I don't want a new actor to take over, Ford's acting and style is what made him so good in that role. Not going to duplicate that.

Shia. Oh god no.

lonely toast

• Tide Pod Challenger
  • Гопник
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 09:07:04 AM »
Indiana jones 5 might take place during 1960s space race.
Who knows?
But multiple sources say that.
The one true slav to rule them all!
Единственный истинный славянин, который будет править ими всеми!

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 12:09:04 PM »
Guys I have an incredible idea: what if someone made a movie that is not directly based on past movies or source material or franchise?
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

lonely toast

• Tide Pod Challenger
  • Гопник
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 12:09:57 PM »
Guys I have an incredible idea: what if someone made a movie that is not based on past movies or source material?
The PURGE.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 12:11:10 PM »
Guys I have an incredible idea: what if someone made a movie that is not based on past movies or source material?
The PURGE.
OK but what if someone did that, but made it not bad?
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

lonely toast

• Tide Pod Challenger
  • Гопник
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 12:14:10 PM »
The PURGE.
OK but what if someone did that, but made it not bad?
Puppy loving pafacists hug and make love.
But i like THE PURGE.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 04:58:46 PM »
Guys I have an incredible idea: what if someone made a movie that is not directly based on past movies or source material or franchise?
I don't know. They never completed first The Burbs trilogy, which is a huge missed opportunity if you ask me.

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 06:48:45 AM »
Don't care. Won't see it.
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 06:53:10 AM »
Paradox of choice. It's not going to happen - we're at the point where so many new shows and movies get made, so the only thing that makes one stand out is one that connects to a property that you already care about. There have been a wealth of original films coming out, but they don't get talked about because nothing makes them stand out, meanwhile you slap a Ghostbusters or Indiana Jones or Marvel brand on it, and suddenly everyone wants to analyze trailers and footage. Bound to burn itself out eventually, but when has that ever stopped anyone these days?

Indiana Jones 5 is a bad idea (though the OG trilogy did alternate in quality, so 5's due to be better than 4 anyway). An Indy reboot to recapture the original for a new generation? More potential. Just depends if the crew care about it, or if they're just sucked in by a studio wanting a cash-grab.

Disney have the ability to make good things, even if Mandolorian is massively overrated.

Shifter

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 07:19:17 AM »
If you want original content and not recycled, rebooted, or sequels you never asked or cared for, then look to foreign films for a while

America is out of ideas and is just making trash at this point. I hold little hope for this sequel. Even a spin off would be dumb. Indiana Jones is too iconic. It would be like doing a reboot of Walker Texas Ranger but instead of Chuck Norris, you put a woman of colour that can't even fight and.... Oh....

They actually did that :o

Know your place.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 07:59:28 AM »
If you want original content and not recycled, rebooted, or sequels you never asked or cared for, then look to foreign films for a while

America is out of ideas and is just making trash at this point. I hold little hope for this sequel. Even a spin off would be dumb. Indiana Jones is too iconic. It would be like doing a reboot of Walker Texas Ranger but instead of Chuck Norris, you put a woman of colour that can't even fight and.... Oh....

...Didn't that one star Jared Padalecki as Norris's character? I am 90% sure he's not a woman or of color.

That's the other side of the coin. Media discourse has become politicised and horrendous, it's impossible to engage with fans of a show without having your enjoyment colored and even affected by the surrounding culture.

Shifter

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2021, 08:34:55 AM »

...Didn't that one star Jared Padalecki as Norris's character? I am 90% sure he's not a woman or of color.

That's the other side of the coin. Media discourse has become politicised and horrendous, it's impossible to engage with fans of a show without having your enjoyment colored and even affected by the surrounding culture.

The sidekick. I only know her as Raven from 'The 100'. While I like her work (well, more like the fact she's gorgeous, can't deny), you can't just reboot a show that starred someone as iconic as Chuck Norris and replace it with other people. Any other people.

Imagine if you tried to reboot the movie that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger 'Total Recall' with some other guy instead? Madness!

Oh wait.... They did that too.... :o

Know your place.

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2021, 09:56:52 AM »

That isn't an inherently bad thing though.

Take for example the Star Wars Legends. The vast range of media stemming from the past movies/source material is really inventive, oftentimes a lot of fun, and sometimes actually quite thought-provoking.

Knights of the Old Republic II is probably the best example of this. The usual monomyth is subbed out for a far more subdued, grounded story which calls into question the moral lessons of Star Wars. Are some people past redemption? Is it fair that "superior" people rule and justify it via their birthright or subjective whim?

Stuff like that is great.
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2021, 02:42:23 PM »
Extending a movie or TV show by exploring other locations and characters? Great.

Rebooting it just to do the same thing again and again?  Not great.

Right now we have the MacGuiver reboot and the Magnum PI reboot, again two shows with stars that you just can't replace.  Neither of these shows are any better because they stole the name from some other show.  It's perfectly possible to make a show about a private investigator, but if your entire idea is 'lets copy this old show' then screw that.

Battlestar Galactica... now that was a good reboot but you know what, it would have been even BETTER if they had made it their own IP, as most of the stuff that was bad was trying to shoehorn in all the old stuff.  It wasn't good because it was a reboot, it was good because of the writing.

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2021, 09:07:18 AM »
Extending a movie or TV show by exploring other locations and characters? Great.

Right now we have the MacGuiver reboot and the Magnum PI reboot, again two shows with stars that you just can't replace.  Neither of these shows are any better because they stole the name from some other show.  It's perfectly possible to make a show about a private investigator, but if your entire idea is 'lets copy this old show' then screw that.

Battlestar Galactica... now that was a good reboot but you know what, it would have been even BETTER if they had made it their own IP, as most of the stuff that was bad was trying to shoehorn in all the old stuff.  It wasn't good because it was a reboot, it was good because of the writing.

That's a fair distinction. There are times when simply redoing the original produces great results, like certain horror remakes. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead come to mind. (Most of them aren't so great though!)

But you're right that the best reboots/remakes are the ones that expand the original into new directions and explore different characters and angles, like John Carpenter's The Thing compared with The Thing from Another World.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2021, 12:32:27 PM »

That's a fair distinction. There are times when simply redoing the original produces great results, like certain horror remakes. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead come to mind. (Most of them aren't so great though!)

But you're right that the best reboots/remakes are the ones that expand the original into new directions and explore different characters and angles, like John Carpenter's The Thing compared with The Thing from Another World.

Good example there.  The Thing wasn't an incredible movie because it was based on a movie based on a short story.  "A shape shifting monster slowly murders people in a remote research station" wasn't such an amazing and unique idea that made the movie great.

It was great because it was a great movie, and they could have changed it to a tropical island research station digging up a prehistoric monster and it still would have been great. 

I was thinking about this for a while... if you want a great example of how to reboot a show like MacGuiver , look at Burn Notice. That's the same show, just with a different lead character. Loner who randomly helps people and has to come up with clever physical solutions to problems while he monologues about his clever solution.  That was a great show that took MacGuiver's formule and made something new out of it.

MacGuiver wasn't good because he hated guns. That was just a character trait. It wasn't good because of his name.  Copying a show in a reboot just doesn't catch lightning in a bottle again.

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2021, 07:09:21 AM »
Good example there.  The Thing wasn't an incredible movie because it was based on a movie based on a short story.  "A shape shifting monster slowly murders people in a remote research station" wasn't such an amazing and unique idea that made the movie great.

It was great because it was a great movie, and they could have changed it to a tropical island research station digging up a prehistoric monster and it still would have been great. 

I was thinking about this for a while... if you want a great example of how to reboot a show like MacGuiver , look at Burn Notice. That's the same show, just with a different lead character. Loner who randomly helps people and has to come up with clever physical solutions to problems while he monologues about his clever solution.  That was a great show that took MacGuiver's formule and made something new out of it.

MacGuiver wasn't good because he hated guns. That was just a character trait. It wasn't good because of his name.  Copying a show in a reboot just doesn't catch lightning in a bottle again.

I'll drink to that last line.

Though I might argue that The Thing deeply benefitted from its Antarctic setting. The cold, dark, and remoteness of the 'scape really added to the claustrophobia and imbued the movie with a sense of urgency, i.e., you can't just go hide somewhere because it's totally freezing outside, you'll assuredly get lost, and you'll most assuredly die. You're mostly stuck in a rinky-dink research station with tight corridors and dim lighting.