China to land on Mars

• 92 Replies

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
China to land on Mars
« on: May 11, 2021, 05:34:23 PM »
https://abc.net.au/news/science/2021-05-12/mars-china-tianwen-1-mission-zhurong-rover-landing/100101552

China is planning to land a spacecraft and rover on Mars this month.

If it succeeds, it will become just the third nation to safely touch down on the Red Planet after Russia and the United States.

China's Tianwen-1 orbiter joined spacecraft from five other space agencies circling Mars in February.

Since then, Tianwen-1 has been mapping the surface of Mars and getting ready to land its first rover, Zhurong, named after an ancient god of fire.

While the exact landing date is unclear, i's likely to be mid this month, according to reports from Chinese state media.

China's Mars exploration program may be less mature than NASA's, but the Tianwen-1 mission will make a significant contribution to the science community, said David Flannery of Queensland University of Technology, who works on NASA's Perseverance mission.

"It is a capable mission that has some really ambitious science goals," he said.  

It's also an important stepping stone to more sophisticated missions, in the same way that early NASA missions such as Pathfinder, which landed the first rover Sojourner in 1997, paved the way for the US Mars program, he said.

Of course you have heard little about it. It's buried in the less important and out of sight news stories. Heaven forbid a country that's not America achieves anything remarkable. If thus we're a NASA mission it would be front headline news with count down timers

If the lander fails - you will hear about it for sure
If the lander succeeds - you won't hear much about it. Will be like a slow news day

The American propaganda system at work.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Re: China to land on Mars
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 02:32:40 PM »
Not sure what new media outlets you have availible there but it's been reported here in the US for months.  BBC also had reports on progress and regular updates.

Agreed, if it lands I don't think we'll hear much more about it, other than that.  It doesn't have the sensors or tech to surpass what we alredy have there.
I considerit a test mission for them but hope they succede.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 03:21:22 PM »
Here, NASA missions are top headlines with countdowns to the minute and with live updates of the landing in progress etc

To find anything on the Chinese mission, you may find it in amongst unimportant news stories. So the news exists, it just won't reach the masses

I say American propaganda but it's increasingly Australian too. Hell, our government with a tiny defence force and tiny overall population is going out if it's way to antagonise China and even talking up an actual war with them - just to appease and look tough for our American 'friends'

Lots of other nations are making headway in space and planetary exploration and I feel they aren't given the attention they deserve.

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 04:58:56 PM »
Apologies for my first post.  Tablet screen proves hard to see and type on.

"I say American propaganda but it's increasingly Australian too."
Surely your government is involved with US propaganda? What benefit do you think AUS will see from that?
Sorry, I don't see any connection to propaganda.  Just bad media/news if you choose to use those poor media outlets.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 05:06:59 PM »
Apologies for my first post.  Tablet screen proves hard to see and type on.

"I say American propaganda but it's increasingly Australian too."
Surely your government is involved with US propaganda? What benefit do you think AUS will see from that?
Sorry, I don't see any connection to propaganda.  Just bad media/news if you choose to use those poor media outlets.

Our government is part of the '5 eyes' network so we toe the American line when it comes to worldwide affairs

New Zealand has been derided as the 'weak link' and even threatened with expulsion from the intelligence sharing network because its language on China is 'too soft'

Our government openly talks of war with China. Do you think it would be so bold if it didn't think America had our back?

Know your place

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 02:16:40 AM »
Here, NASA missions are top headlines with countdowns to the minute and with live updates of the landing in progress etc

I find that hard to believe.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 03:34:26 AM »

I find that hard to believe.

Your belief is irrelevant. When NASA's Juno approached Jupiter, New Horizons approached Pluto or a landing on Mars is imminent you can bet it's making top headlines here. Which is fine as it's interesting news - but a coloured nation making headway in space? Nah, shove an ominous headline somewhere in the middle

Know your place

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 07:14:14 AM »
The science websites like Arstechnica cover space stuff regardless of country.  They usually mention countries other than America doing landings and such because it's noteworthy whenever another country reaches that milestone.

The mainstream news doesn't really pay attention unless it's something extraordinary like Spacex moving people to the ISS.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 07:26:22 AM »
The science websites like Arstechnica cover space stuff regardless of country.  They usually mention countries other than America doing landings and such because it's noteworthy whenever another country reaches that milestone.

The mainstream news doesn't really pay attention unless it's something extraordinary like Spacex moving people to the ISS.

Or dumping junk into space like the Tesla car ::)

Everything gets documented so everything is going to get coverage. But MSM is what the masses view and a clue as to what governments what their population to hear and care about. Arstechnica is great but the masses dont read it and it covers so much stuff. Its feature page story is about Mass Effect: The Legendary Edition 8)

Here is something of note though from perusing their site about China

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/12/china-completes-lunar-sampling-mission-eyes-next-steps-on-the-moon/
During a post-landing news conference, Chinese officials said they would emulate the United States and Soviet Union in sharing the samples with international partners, including the United Nations. However, sharing material with the United States seems unlikely due to the Wolf Amendment, a law passed by Congress in 2011 that prohibits direct cooperation with China.

"The Chinese government is ready to share samples, including data, with all like-minded institutions from other countries," said Wu Yanhua, vice administrator of the China National Space Administration. However, he then called the Wolf Amendment adopted by Congress "unfortunate" and indicated direct cooperation with NASA would probably not occur.

America seems to have an interest in actively not cooperating with China in matters of science or space exploration. So I guess it's of no surprise they aren't going to be thrilled if China does anything noteworthy.

Know your place

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 08:20:16 AM »
America seems to have an interest in actively not cooperating with China in matters of science or space exploration. So I guess it's of no surprise they aren't going to be thrilled if China does anything noteworthy.
Is it because America is racist?

Somehow my post was merged with your quote.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 08:22:52 AM by Nostradamus »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 08:42:25 AM »

Consider reviewing the quoting section of the bbcode tutorial.
https://nookkin.com/misc/bbcode.ndoc
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 08:49:39 AM »

Consider reviewing the quoting section of the bbcode tutorial.
https://nookkin.com/misc/bbcode.ndoc
I dont read stuff like that.
My adhd prevents me from focusing.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 11:57:48 AM »
A lot of science is gonna move to China soon since they are becoming a larger economic power, and also not under a quasi-privatization process like NASA is. A lot of physicists are also very excited about the prospects of particle physics research growing in China.

The world is changing, who knows what it is changing into. Hopefully it's better.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 08:51:11 PM »
but a coloured nation making headway in space? Nah, shove an ominous headline somewhere in the middle

Your belief is irrelevant. You speculate what will happen, but fail to notice what has happened. When the United Arab Emirates' Hope (Al-Amal) mission was  launched and successfully entered Mars orbit, it was prominently featured in major US news outlets.

Maybe the news outlets you frequent have as much disdain for little Tonka trucks with 25-year old technology playing around on Mars as you do for little toy helicopters. Pick a thing to be outraged about ... a country wasting money on an irrelevant space mission or a country boasting about its technological achievements. Kinda fun to pick and choose which one you happen to be outraged about, isn't it?

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 10:56:53 PM »
but a coloured nation making headway in space? Nah, shove an ominous headline somewhere in the middle

Your belief is irrelevant. You speculate what will happen, but fail to notice what has happened. When the United Arab Emirates' Hope (Al-Amal) mission was  launched and successfully entered Mars orbit, it was prominently featured in major US news outlets.

Maybe the news outlets you frequent have as much disdain for little Tonka trucks with 25-year old technology playing around on Mars as you do for little toy helicopters. Pick a thing to be outraged about ... a country wasting money on an irrelevant space mission or a country boasting about its technological achievements. Kinda fun to pick and choose which one you happen to be outraged about, isn't it?
When the United Arab Emirates' Hope (Al-Amal) mission successfully entered Mars orbit, it was Fake News as usual!

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 08:25:05 AM »
When the United Arab Emirates' Hope (Al-Amal) mission successfully entered Mars orbit, it was Fake News as usual!

Fake News = "I don't want it to be true! Waaaaaaaah!"

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 06:35:25 PM »
China successfully lands on Mars!

Congratulations China. Not that you'll hear much about it. I only found an emotionless statement buried in between news stories like I predicted

If this were NASA or Space X, you guys would be making a thread about it then boasting about how spherical the earth is once again. No one cares about China's achievement. :(

Know your place

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 07:08:34 PM »
Now China has time to attack Australia.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 07:09:28 PM »
Now China has time to attack Australia.
NO! NOT THE POOR YOUNG AUSSIES!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 07:12:54 PM »
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2021, 07:25:28 PM »

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 07:08:16 AM »

Congratulations China. Not that you'll hear much about it. I only found an emotionless statement buried in between news stories like I predicted

If this were NASA or Space X, you guys would be making a thread about it then boasting about how spherical the earth is once again. No one cares about China's achievement. :(

On the front page of CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/14/world/china-mars-rover-landing-scn/index.html

I guess it's only crap if the US does it. Or if it's something that shifter can fake outrage about.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2021, 07:34:56 AM »
If this were NASA or Space X, you guys would be making a thread about it then boasting about how spherical the earth is once again.
Does China landing a rover on Mars do anything to support FET? ???

No one cares about China's achievement. :(
China is the third country to land a rover on Mars.  People have a hard enough time caring about number 2.  Why should anyone care about number 3?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2021, 07:36:29 AM »

On the front page of CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/14/world/china-mars-rover-landing-scn/index.html

I guess it's only crap if the US does it. Or if it's something that shifter can fake outrage about.

Bullshit. THIS is the front page of CNN

https://edition.cnn.com/

Then you have to click on the 'World tab'. Oh look its still not there

So then you have to click on the 'China' tab', so obviously it's going to be there ::)

If it were NASA or Space X, such an achievement would be on the home page of CNN so that every passerby catches it

But mixed in the China tab you also get the propaganda shit like 'oh no! Solar panels might be made in Xingjang and everyone in that area is probably forced labor so its unethical' BS

You know whats unethical? Banning products from Xinjiang such as cotton. Actual legit cotton farmers who do this shit to sustain their livelihoods are in peril now because of 'woke' propaganda BS from the west about Xinjiang. Never mind America bombing the fuck out of 80 Muslim countries indiscriminately killing civilians and fucking with their leaderships which helped bring in the likes of ISIS. No. China gets its prisoners to actually work and contribute to society and that's called genocide by the west. Not everyone that lives in Xinjiang is a prisoner ::) People see a product comes from Xinjiang and wants to ban it. Ridiculous.

Seems to me if you go to jail in Xinjiang, you get educated and are made to work to contribute to society. In America, they just throw you in a hole for a few decades and if you ever get released, are probably angrier and more dangerous than before.

How the hell is learning mandarin and the history and culture of your country genocide? Is getting an education brainwashing? Maybe. But every nation then is guilty of doing that. I would say American school kids pledging the oath of allegiance is a form of brainwashing. I wonder, did you educate the Native Amerindians? Give them technology? Teach them to speak English? Intermarry and breed with them? Could that not be a genocide or ethnic cleansing too? Such fkn hypocrites you all are

But on China! TOP STUFF CHINA! WOOOOOO!!!!! Way to show up those Yankee morons who were praying for your failure in this space

Know your place

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 07:37:55 AM »
If this were NASA or Space X, you guys would be making a thread about it then boasting about how spherical the earth is once again.
Does China landing a rover on Mars do anything to support FET? ???

No one cares about China's achievement. :(
China is the third country to land a rover on Mars.  People have a hard enough time caring about number 2.  Why should anyone care about number 3?

if people were genuine in their interest, they would care about all of them. Should good science really be festered with propaganda and nationalism?

Know your place

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2021, 07:44:52 AM »
if people were genuine in their interest, they would care about all of them.
Which people?  I would contend that most average people don't care about any of them.

Should good science really be festered with propaganda and nationalism?
How much coverage of the Mars helicopter do you suppose you'll find in China?

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2021, 07:50:33 AM »

Please don't modify my quotes. It's beneath you.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2021, 07:52:33 AM »
Congrats to China!

Does anyone know if this rover does something special?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2021, 07:53:33 AM »
if people were genuine in their interest, they would care about all of them.
Which people?  I would contend that most average people don't care about any of them.

The ones pretending to care (like this forums pathetic NASAphiles)

Should good science really be festered with propaganda and nationalism?
How much coverage of the Mars helicopter do you suppose you'll find in China?

Oh look, they did it
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2021-04/19/c_139889188.htm
WASHINGTON, April 18 (Xinhua) -- NASA is targeting early Monday for the first flight of its Ingenuity Mars Helicopter, according to NASA.

The helicopter is scheduled to lift off at approximately 3:30 a.m. Eastern Day Time on Monday.

It will be the first powered, controlled flight of an aircraft on another planet.

The first flight was originally scheduled on April 11, but the date shifted as engineers worked on preflight checks and a solution to a command sequence issue.

Ingenuity arrived at Mars' Jezero Crater on Feb. 18, attached to the belly of NASA's Perseverance rover. The helicopter is a technology demonstration with a planned test flight duration of up to 30 Martian days.

The Perseverance rover will provide support during flight operations, taking images, collecting environmental data, and hosting the base station that enables the helicopter to communicate with mission controllers on Earth.

Know your place

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2021, 07:57:41 AM »
A lot of science is gonna move to China soon since they are becoming a larger economic power, and also not under a quasi-privatization process like NASA is. A lot of physicists are also very excited about the prospects of particle physics research growing in China.

The world is changing, who knows what it is changing into. Hopefully it's better.

Maybe. It'll be interesting to see what they do about climate change. But I have to think that these world class scientists would be just a little apprehensive about working with a country that'll lock you up if you call their leader Winnie the pooh.