Why is America so racist?

• 52 Replies

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Why is America so racist?
« on: May 07, 2021, 11:09:12 AM »
America is so racist that they wanted their own 'international film' to win an award (Minari). So get an American production and director to cast Koreans and speak some Korean in it and call it 'foreign language'. Of course, America being America had to have the entire movie set in and based around America. ::)

I guess they got pretty pissed when 'Parasite' cleaned the floor with them last time. Remember how Trump reacted got when South Korea dared get recognition for their efforts?

Also every time I want to look up the actors from foreign films such as in Asia, I find IMDB to be utterly useless. Barely any photos of the actors. Hardly anything written in the profiles. Incomplete movie credits and it goes on. A simple internet search of the actors name reveals so much about them it's clear if the actor isn't white and American, they just don't give an F.

I thought the 'I' in IMDB stood for 'International' I guess Americas idea of International is Canada. You really have no idea there is an entire world out there peopled with people that make better movies than you.

As for the awards, dump the 'foreign' shit altogether and allow each movie to be judged and capable of the same award based on its merits. After all, one mans foreign film is another mans domestic film.

This may mean that you guys don't win as many token awards anymore. So be it. (also deserved given Hollywood's tendency to make sequels no one asked for, reboots no one wants, shitty writing, predictable formula/plots, over reliance on CGI and political/woke crap the movie goers don't want to be lectured on by a bunch of privileged upper class morons)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
Re: Why is America so racist?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 11:19:06 AM »
I mean it's not exactly the fault of America but, like, the Oscars are basically "Hollywood prizes" and it's dumb how they're put on a pedestal. Like, it's funny how they have to include a "best foreign language picture" category, since 99% of the time, Best Picture is gonna be something American, even though the category is not called "Best American Picture" or "Best English Language Picture". The implication is that Hollywood movies are just the best in general, always, except for maybe once or twice every now and then. It's very stupid. International festivals are better.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 11:25:10 AM »
Can't we all admit at this point that the Oscars are a joke and we're all just hate watching it?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Pezevenk

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 11:26:05 AM »
Can't we all admit at this point that the Oscars are a joke and we're all just hate watching it?

Yes lol

Btw there's a new Greek streaming service called Cinobo which features pretty much exclusively international and indie movies, it's 8 euros per month which is kind of a lot for me but I'm really considering ending my netflix subscription and subscribing to that instead, since netflix has become endless trash. The only downside is that I'm not the only one using that netflix subscription...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:28:09 AM by Pezevenk »

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 11:26:54 AM »
I mean it's not exactly the fault of America but, like, the Oscars are basically "Hollywood prizes" and it's dumb how they're put on a pedestal. Like, it's funny how they have to include a "best foreign language picture" category, since 99% of the time, Best Picture is gonna be something American, even though the category is not called "Best American Picture" or "Best English Language Picture". The implication is that Hollywood movies are just the best in general, always, except for maybe once or twice every now and then. It's very stupid. International festivals are better.

Yeah that's it. Despite the Oscars being an American creation, movies are submitted from more than just America. Yet the chance of a movie that was not made in America getting any prize or recognition is SFA.

If they really dont want other nations to win any prizes then they should open it to American shit only. Not open it to a global stage but then ensure they sweep to victory in every category except for the token 'foreign language'. I guess it's also a propaganda exercise that makes American audiences believe American films are the best (lol)

The 'Oscars' seem to be more and more a joke every year that no one is taking seriously anymore anyway I guess. Just like American movies

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 11:27:10 AM »
Why are the Koreans so racist?

They have their film awards and weirdly (and racistly) give them to Koreans films and film makers.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Pezevenk

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »

They have their film awards and weirdly (and racistly) give them to Koreans films and film makers.

It's not weird that countries have awards shows that mostly award prizes to movies in said countries. The issue is that Oscars have become THE film awards for the entire world, for some reason. They're by far the largest and most influential awards. And they are marketed as global.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 11:32:06 AM »

Oh you mean an award ceremony that specifically recognizes South Korean films?

From your link
The Blue Dragon Film Awards (Korean: 청룡영화상) is an annual awards ceremony that is presented by Sports Chosun (a sister brand of the Chosun Ilbo) for excellence in film in South Korea

Contrast that to the statement about the Academy Awards wiki page
The Academy Awards, popularly known as the Oscars,are awards for artistic and technical merit in the film industry. They are regarded as the most famous and prestigious awards in the entertainment industry around the world.

One doesn't pretend to be for a global stage while the other does.

Know your place

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 11:41:23 AM »

Yes lol

Btw there's a new Greek streaming service called Cinobo which features pretty much exclusively international and indie movies, it's 8 euros per month which is kind of a lot for me but I'm really considering ending my netflix subscription and subscribing to that instead, since netflix has become endless trash. The only downside is that I'm not the only one using that netflix subscription...

By international do you mean films not made by the US or not made by Greece?

Yeah Netflix has taken a beating on their content because of everyone starting up their own streaming services.  They're still extremely useful for children's entertainment though.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 12:19:30 PM »
I don't even hate watch the Oscars, it's just boring rich people patting themselves on the ass.

Also, can't registered members of IMDB provide information? Oh, I think you can https://help.imdb.com/article/contribution/contribution-information/how-do-i-contribute-data-to-imdb/GVZTHQ48SWS47WDK#  They'd probably be glad for someone to help improve their Korean movie info.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Pezevenk

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 12:54:04 PM »

Yes lol

By international do you mean films not made by the US or not made by Greece?

Yeah Netflix has taken a beating on their content because of everyone starting up their own streaming services.  They're still extremely useful for children's entertainment though.

I mean international, in that it has a balanced representation of different nations. There is not lots of Greek films made. It doesn't have a lot of Hollywood films at all but it does have some indie films from America. It does have disproportionately many Greek films because unfortunately no one in Greece watches Greek films any more which sucks because that means no one watches them in general. That's because Greece can't make big budget films and they're all pushed aside by American films anyways. So it's good that cinobo platforms them.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »
Xenia is a good recent Greek movie I watched recently although some choices are kind of... Questionable. But I only watched it because some friend saw it on cinobo.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:48:32 PM by Pezevenk »

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 04:23:33 AM »

It's not weird that countries have awards shows that mostly award prizes to movies in said countries. The issue is that Oscars have become THE film awards for the entire world, for some reason. They're by far the largest and most influential awards. And they are marketed as global.
They have never been the film awards for the planet, they've just become watched by the planet (well were, not so much now) because they had the biggest,  highest paid stars with genuine global recognition.  It's always been a Hollywood film award, they've barely noticed even American films made outside the studio system, at least until recently. 

Awards ceremonies aren't set up out of the goodness of someone's heart, they are set up to as marketing festivals - to sell the films and stars in them.  It's hardly surprising that an award set up, funded and entirely run by Hollywood insiders is there to sell Hollywood films.  Even the "best foreign film" would have had Hollywood distribution.

Who gives a shit anyway?   Watch Cannes if you want to see international awards.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Pezevenk

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 05:27:38 AM »

They have never been the film awards for the planet, they've just become watched by the planet (well were, not so much now) because they had the biggest,  highest paid stars with genuine global recognition.  It's always been a Hollywood film award, they've barely noticed even American films made outside the studio system, at least until recently. 

Awards ceremonies aren't set up out of the goodness of someone's heart, they are set up to as marketing festivals - to sell the films and stars in them.  It's hardly surprising that an award set up, funded and entirely run by Hollywood insiders is there to sell Hollywood films.  Even the "best foreign film" would have had Hollywood distribution.

Who gives a shit anyway?   Watch Cannes if you want to see international awards.

The Oscars are certainly marketed to be awards for the planet. It's partly why the best picture category theoretically accepts movies from anywhere. I'm not saying it's new. And yes, Cannes are better.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 05:53:30 AM »
Part of American racism is uniquely... well, American, but a big part of it is that everyone is just as racist as we are.

The problem then is how heterogenous we are. We have 330+ million people. We're the single most diverse society on the planet, bar none, in history.

Compare us with a place like Denmark which has 37 people and they're all Danish and you get the idea.
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 06:09:39 AM »
We're the single most diverse society on the planet, bar none, in history.

bar none you say?

According to this anyway, Australia is the most culturally diverse in the world. Not surprising America thinks it's number 1. You always think that! :P

https://eccv.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Census2016_JUNE282017.pdf
Many of  us  have  always known  Australia  is a  successful  multicultural  nation but  now  we  can  boast about  the  fact  that  Australia  is  the  most  ethnically  diverse  country  in  the  world.  With  26%  of Australians  being  born  overseas  and  49%  of  people  having  at  least  one  parent  born  overseas, Australia has 100 religions and 300 ethnic groups in our cultural melting pot. “The Census shows that Australia  has  a  higher  proportion  of  overseas-born  people  (26%)  than  the  United  States  (14%), Canada  (22%)  and  New  Zealand  (23%).  What  about  the  United  Kingdom,  you  say?  Not  even  close (13%).”Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2016 Census.

I'm sure you can find some American propaganda page boasting how great it is to cherry pick though. I'm sure every country has it's own version  8)

Looking at other pages such as wiki on cultural or ethnic diversity, many African countries take the top spot judging by whatever metric they use (Chad, for instance has more than 120 indigenous languages)

Know your place

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 07:51:17 AM »
Huh, go figure. Way to go, Australia.
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

Pezevenk

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 08:03:09 AM »
What always seems "weird" to me with American and generally anglo racists is that they split people into white and non white and that's it. When you get down to it, white people in America are perceived to be all just white, black people are all just black, Asians are just Asian etc. The weirdest category of all is "Hispanic" or "Latino" which doesn't make any sense since it's not even close to being a "race". Lots of "hispanic" people are 100% European, lots of them are just black, lots of them come from various different indegenous civilizations, and lots of them are mestizos. But Americans just see them as "hispanic". Colonial nations tend to be that way but in many places in Europe racism doesn't really work that way. For instance, an external observer wouldn't ever be able to tell the difference between an Albanian and a Greek and yet many Greeks are very racist toward Albanians. Also, various places can be very multicultural even though they don't seem to have as much "racial" variety as the US, since the US is actually pretty homogeneous between the different peoples who have assimilated. That's the thing, there is a certain strong cultural and political hegemony in the US which very effectively assimilates and homogenises people, which doesn't exist in some other places.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 03:34:54 PM »
Now we see them as "latinx" and they love it so much.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 03:59:23 PM »
I suspect but I cannot prove that "latinx" was responsible for a whole lot of their votes shifting to Trump in 2020.

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 07:40:42 PM »
What's the difference between a Latinx and a native American?

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 08:04:35 PM »

Is this the beginning of a racist joke?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2021, 07:32:35 AM »

It depends! Many Latinos are Native Americans, but also many of them have Spanish and/or African ancestry. 

Pezevenk

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2021, 10:14:14 AM »

The stereotypical latino isn't even native, they are mestizos. At least that's what most (but far from all) Mexicans are, which has led Americans to believe that all latinos are mestizos. A mestizo is someone of mixed European (mainly Spanish) and native ancestry. There's also "latinos" who are native, and "latinos" who are of African ancestry, or mixed African and native/African and European, or entirely European. For instance, most people in Uruguay are white.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:17:44 AM by Pezevenk »

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2021, 11:01:22 AM »

The stereotypical latino isn't even native, they are mestizos. At least that's what most (but far from all) Mexicans are, which has led Americans to believe that all latinos are mestizos. A mestizo is someone of mixed European (mainly Spanish) and native ancestry. There's also "latinos" who are native, and "latinos" who are of African ancestry, or mixed African and native/African and European, or entirely European. For instance, most people in Uruguay are white.

This is completely wrong. Americans do not believe all Latinos are mestizos. Also, what do you mean by "isn't even native"?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2021, 11:09:44 AM »
Lol look at the aussie with the dick-jealousy.
"You're racist because we suck"
Its pathetic, but also very fun to watch!
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2021, 01:58:26 PM »
Lol look at the aussie with the dick-jealousy.
"You're racist because we suck"
Its pathetic, but also very fun to watch!

Look at the troll ::) as usual with nothing of any substance to say. If only he were as fun to watch.

Know your place

Pezevenk

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2021, 02:27:02 PM »

This is completely wrong. Americans do not believe all Latinos are mestizos. Also, what do you mean by "isn't even native"?

No, not all Americans believe that. But many do. I've seen so many people get weirdly confused when they are told latino is not a race, and they all basically have Mexicans (most of whom are mestizos) in mind if you ask them. Some others get weirdly angry for some reason.

Mestizos aren't indegenous. They are typically of mixed ancestry. I am saying that the stereotypical latino is a mestizo.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2021, 03:33:15 PM »
You know that's now how Native Americans think of themselves, right? They don't think you have to be 100% pure NA to be NA. Everyone is of mixed ancestry.

I don't know where you get your stereotypes from, but here we know Latin America includes many of the Caribbean islands, Mexico, Central America, and South America.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 04:20:32 PM »

I've never heard anyone believing this, exceprt perhaps in the more racist parts of South America.