Non-fungible tokens

• 74 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Non-fungible tokens
« on: April 30, 2021, 07:31:00 AM »
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/29/22410070/disaster-girl-popular-meme-nft-500000-dollars

"Disaster girl" just sold for $500,000, "nyan cat" sold for $600,000, some other memes have been sold as well. Are nfts the next big thing, or will it fizzle out?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
Re: Non-fungible tokens
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 07:43:12 AM »
I kinda don't get it. Twitter what's-his-name kind of kicked things off with his NFT sale of the first Tweet. Then all these other ones have taken off. But what I don't get, using "Disaster Girl" as an example...I buy it for $500k which means I own the "original". But there are 1000's of memes out there with "Disaster Girl". Does that mean I can now go after each and every one with a copyright infringement gambit?
I guess my over-arching question is, what's the real benefit of "owning" the original? Is it like buying a Basquiat at Sotheby's for $50 million and hanging it on my penthouse wall in Trump Tower only instead it resides solely it my blockchain wallet?

Maybe NFT's are just like cyber currency in a way.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 09:37:48 AM »
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/29/22410070/disaster-girl-popular-meme-nft-500000-dollars

"Disaster girl" just sold for $500,000, "nyan cat" sold for $600,000, some other memes have been sold as well. Are nfts the next big thing, or will it fizzle out?
Dunno, but I feel like I'm in a William Gibson novel.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 10:06:48 AM »
I guess my over-arching question is, what's the real benefit of "owning" the original? Is it like buying a Basquiat at Sotheby's for $50 million and hanging it on my penthouse wall in Trump Tower only instead it resides solely it my blockchain wallet?
Not really because you can never actually possess the "original" of any electronic document that you didn't create yourself.

I think that it's just another way to exploit people with more ego and money than brains.

Speaking of which, anybody want the NFT for this insightful post?  A real bargain at $50,000.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 10:07:28 AM »
Does that mean I can now go after each and every one with a copyright infringement gambit?

Not unless the contract, terms and conditions transfer the ownership of the copyright to you, which is not usual for NFTs (although certainly allowable). In most cases you "own" the original, but not the rights to the original. And for copyright infringement, prosecuting a claim takes a reasonable amount of money, so the only upside would be if someone were using it and making a lot of money off of it, which is not the case with your example. If you just wanted to be a rich dick that pissed people off, you could throw money away doing that, but the result would likely be you would prevent them from using it in future, with little to no recompense for past violations.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 10:31:19 AM »
Does that mean I can now go after each and every one with a copyright infringement gambit?

Not unless the contract, terms and conditions transfer the ownership of the copyright to you, which is not usual for NFTs (although certainly allowable). In most cases you "own" the original, but not the rights to the original. And for copyright infringement, prosecuting a claim takes a reasonable amount of money, so the only upside would be if someone were using it and making a lot of money off of it, which is not the case with your example. If you just wanted to be a rich dick that pissed people off, you could throw money away doing that, but the result would likely be you would prevent them from using it in future, with little to no recompense for past violations.

I agree with all that you wrote. I guess dropping half a mill on an NFT is really about bragging rights. Or perhaps an investment of some sort in hopes that the NFT somehow goes up in value? It's still unclear to me where the value is.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 10:35:26 AM »
Interestingly, Roth’s NFT was purchased by 3F Music, a Dubai-based music studio with surprisingly deep pockets that also bought several other big-ticket NFTs, including Overly Attached Girlfriend ($411,000) and The New York Times’ meta NFT-column ($560,000).

In a statement provided to the NYT in March, 3F Music explained its purchase by commenting that “Our management team is always in cooperation with some highly knowledgeable and experienced art advisers who believe that we must grow with technological movements that help us to not only promote our business but also to support artists and the art market.”

It's a weird fad for rich people, I guess. It seems about as useful as literally setting money on fire.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 10:45:13 AM »
Not really because you can never actually possess the "original" of any electronic document that you didn't create yourself.

I think that it's just another way to exploit people with more ego and money than brains.

Speaking of which, anybody want the NFT for this insightful post?  A real bargain at $50,000.

I'll go with $55k. Do I hear 60?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 11:41:30 AM »
Interestingly, Roth’s NFT was purchased by 3F Music, a Dubai-based music studio with surprisingly deep pockets that also bought several other big-ticket NFTs, including Overly Attached Girlfriend ($411,000) and The New York Times’ meta NFT-column ($560,000).

In a statement provided to the NYT in March, 3F Music explained its purchase by commenting that “Our management team is always in cooperation with some highly knowledgeable and experienced art advisers who believe that we must grow with technological movements that help us to not only promote our business but also to support artists and the art market.”

It's a weird fad for rich people, I guess. It seems about as useful as literally setting money on fire.
Unless you pay for it in BitCoin, of course.  Then it's just trading "ownership" of one set of 1s and 0s for another.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 05:00:36 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »

Welcome to late stage capitalism.

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 03:52:42 PM »
NFTs are the next big thing to fizzle out.

Best case scenario is that rich people figure out how to launder money using them.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 03:56:39 PM »
I kinda don't get it. Twitter what's-his-name kind of kicked things off with his NFT sale of the first Tweet. Then all these other ones have taken off. But what I don't get, using "Disaster Girl" as an example...I buy it for $500k which means I own the "original". But there are 1000's of memes out there with "Disaster Girl". Does that mean I can now go after each and every one with a copyright infringement gambit?

No, you don't even have the original. You just have... Um... Not anything really. You just pay so that some number in some blockchain certifies that you have the original something. Basically it is just "written" somewhere that you have the original. But you don't really have it. Or rather you do have access to the original, if a digital asset can even be called the "original", but also in general everyone else also has access to it.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 05:08:43 PM »
It's cool that Disaster Girl is going to pay off her student loans with the money. I hope the mememakers cash in while they can.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 06:45:33 PM »
Tulipmania.

Or maybe these people don't understand that they're basically buying a certificate of authenticity.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 05:06:11 PM »
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/17/22441078/fox-blockchain-animated-series-dan-harmon-nft

Fox has announced its upcoming animated comedy Krapopolis, from Rick and Morty creator Dan Harmon, will be “the first-ever animated series curated entirely on the Blockchain.” The company plans to try to generate buzz for the show with its own brand-new NFT company dubbed Blockchain Creative Labs, THR reports.

Fox Entertainment CEO Charlie Collier told advertisers during its upfronts presentation on Monday that “as an advertiser-focused, artist-first and animation-obsessed company, Fox is going to take advertisers into the world of Blockchain-powered tokens, including NFTs.” It will launch a dedicated marketplace for Krapopolis, a show set in mythical ancient Greece “centered on a flawed family of humans, gods, and monsters that tries to run one of the world’s first cities without killing each other.”

The marketplace will “curate and sell digital goods ranging from NFTs of one-of-a-kind character and background art and GIFs, as well as tokens that provide exclusive social experiences to engage and reward super fans,” according to Fox. Characters and artwork from the show will become NFT collectibles — because why let the internet GIF your show for free when you can sell them GIFs as NFTs?

This is weird!

Also, when they "let the internet GIF your show for free" they are letting the internet advertise your show for free.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 11:49:32 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-57227290

Charlie Bit My Finger video to be taken off YouTube after selling for £500,000

As one of the original viral videos, the Charlie Bit My Finger clip is a little piece of internet history.

But now the much-loved clip of baby Charlie gnawing on his brother Harry's finger will be taken off YouTube after it was sold for $760,999 (£538,000).

The Davies-Carr family auctioned the clip as an NFT, a non-fungible token.

Bids came into their auction page throughout the weekend, but the price dramatically increased in its final hours on Sunday.

The bidding battle was between two anonymous accounts.

"3fmusic" eventually outbid "mememaster" for the video, which has been watched more than 880 million times since it was put on YouTube in 2007.

The clip had been due to be removed from the video sharing platform on 23 May, following the auction - but at the moment it's still there.

I wondered if this would happen. Will all the memes and viral videos be taken down as they're sold?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2021, 12:01:38 PM »
I'm still kinda baffled as to how the NFT sitch works. I buy it for 3/4 of a million bucks, it gets taken down off of YT. Though there are a trillion copies of it out there in the wild. Is the deal that now that I "own" it, I can go after anyone who posts it/makes use of it for copyright infringement and maybe get some cash for it?

Do I mount a flat screen on my wall next to the Picasso I purchased last year and just loop the vid and display/brag to my house guests?

In other words, what do I do with my $750k NFT purchase? Where is the value?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2021, 12:19:35 PM »
It's like saying, I own this one hundred dollar bill, and then setting it on fire.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2021, 12:25:08 PM »
Is there a way NFTs could be weaponized so when someone receives an unsolicited dick pic, they can turn it into an NFT and turn around and use it to extort the sender? That would be pretty great karma.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2021, 03:26:10 PM »
I was just searching for information, and apparently there is no copyright that comes with an NFT. I wonder if the tech companies would honor the NFT and act as if it is copyrighted. Like, there are probably several Charlie bit me videos on youtube, would youtube take them all down, or only the original?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 03:32:09 PM »
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/bored-ape-nft-founder-identity

Bored Ape Yacht Club is worth billions. wtf?

It is just a fad for rich people!

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 03:42:59 PM »
It's so weird! It has to be being used as a front for laundering money or something, why would anyone want to spend that much money on weird ape pictures you can just copy for free?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 09:11:06 PM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/cryptopunks-pixelated-avatars-that-millionaires-buy-nft-2021-7?amp

My profile picture is an 'NFT'

Some say spending $11.7 million dollars for a gif or jpg is a bit over the top. I agree. I just took a screen shot and got that shit for free.

Fools and their money......

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 05:52:40 AM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/cryptopunks-pixelated-avatars-that-millionaires-buy-nft-2021-7?amp

Some say spending $11.7 million dollars for a gif or jpg is a bit over the top. I agree. I just took a screen shot and got that shit for free.

You could even try minting it as your own NFT on another blockchain and try selling it for $11.7 million all over again lol

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2022, 06:38:12 AM »

You could even try minting it as your own NFT on another blockchain and try selling it for $11.7 million all over again lol

Oh nice. I could just make the colour of 1 pixel, ever so slightly different. And it will be a different image. MY image. And if you want it..... $20 million actually. Better act fast. It's a buyers market

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2022, 06:35:39 PM »
https://www.axios.com/gold-cube-art-central-park-worth-nft-3fba67de-59ae-40fa-880c-3b1dd86bb970.html

Someday you could put a hollow 410lb, $10.8 million dollar gold cube in Central Park to launch your own bitcoin and NFT.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2022, 09:14:48 PM »

If NFT's were honest

Know your place

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2022, 10:23:46 PM »

A deep dive into NFTs.  They are a scam.  Tulip mania.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2022, 06:08:20 AM »
I have a couple that I got for free for helping cryptobros with bots for their telegram channels. This is the funniest one by far:

Now you can all right click and save it and have this unique, one-of-a-kind image of an ape with a bong.

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2022, 06:14:09 AM »
God I hate those ape pictures so much.

I hope that someone designs a virus that destroys every last fucking one and renders the world's computers incapable of producing more.