Question about the wave-particle duality of photons (light and matter)?

• 10 Replies
Waves formed on the surface of the water upon disturbing due to gravity here on earth.

I don’t understand

What causes the light /photon to travel in the waveform or what causes the oscillation of the photon in its traveling?   

Why does a photon show its presence when it is massless either in wave or particle form?

Lorddave

Waves formed on the surface of the water upon disturbing due to gravity here on earth.
Not correct.  They are formed due to energy moving through the water.  Like the movement of currents, heat differential, or the gravitational pull.of the moon.  You can create waves on water in 0G.

What causes the light /photon to travel in the waveform or what causes the oscillation of the photon in its traveling?   

Why does a photon show its presence when it is massless either in wave or particle form?
Its best to think of a photon as a packet containing an electrical wave and a magnetic wave at right angles to eachother.  Each one propogating the other further along.

The waves were created at the source, such as an atom releasing energy.  If they weren't waves, they wouldn't move.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

I don’t understand

Waves are caused by motion/energy input, gravity is in no way the cause of waves.

There are, of course, many ideas about this.  One of the most successful (practical/useful) considers the wave separately from a small particle which rides upon it.  If this is correct, then what we call “the photon”, a speculative and theoretical “thing”, is material/tangible and is not “massless”. But it is also NOT the light. Light is a pressure wave within a media.  Just ask yourself what causes ALL waves to oscillate and you will have your answer.

This is misunderstanding.  Light is simply a pressure wave in a medium, it is not nearly as mysterious as it is misunderstood.  There is nothing tangible/material that does not have weight (“mass”, to use your common and incorrect parlance)

JJA

• Math is math!
This is misunderstanding.  Light is simply a pressure wave in a medium, it is not nearly as mysterious as it is misunderstood.  There is nothing tangible/material that does not have weight (“mass”, to use your common and incorrect parlance)

You are using a lot of words carelessly without defining them here. 

Tangible?  Light certainly is tangible.  I can see it. I can measure it, reflect it, detect individual photons.

How are you defining and using the word material?  Something solid?  In effect you are making a circular reference here, saying only objects with mass have mass, or all objects made of matter are made of matter.

Light does have mass.  Not in the same way matter does, but the same effect.  Gather enough light in one place and it bends spacetime, just like matter.  You could stand on a ball of light if it were dense enough, just like a planet.

Light is certainly not defined as a "a pressure wave in a medium" by any current theory I'm aware of. What medium is this, let me guess, aether?

Lorddave

Light is said to be a particle because it has momentum.  Not because it has mass.

Also, not sure light can be dense enough to atand on no matter how much you have.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Timeisup

My goodness here we go again deluded flat earth believers imagining they have the means to study the duality of light and determine if the photon indeed has zero mass and have an opinion on it.

Nonsense.

All they can do like the majority of the population is read the results of experiments carried out by professional researchers. That’s unless they have a 25km diameter particle accelerator in their back yard.

I am always incredulous at FE ers pontification about subjects that they have no means of determining yet speaking on it as though they have some special knowledge.

Let’s be real you know little or nothing about the subject other than what you have looked up.

Timeisup

I don’t understand

Waves are caused by motion/energy input, gravity is in no way the cause of waves.

There are, of course, many ideas about this.  One of the most successful (practical/useful) considers the wave separately from a small particle which rides upon it.  If this is correct, then what we call “the photon”, a speculative and theoretical “thing”, is material/tangible and is not “massless”. But it is also NOT the light. Light is a pressure wave within a media.  Just ask yourself what causes ALL waves to oscillate and you will have your answer.

So.... how did you come by your information relating to the photon? Do you possibly have a very large magnify glass through which you can see them?

JJA

• Math is math!
Light is said to be a particle because it has momentum.  Not because it has mass.

Also, not sure light can be dense enough to atand on no matter how much you have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugelblitz_(astrophysics)

Enough light concentrated in one place can be dense enough to form a black hole, let alone a much smaller amount required for 'only' 1g of gravitational pull.

However, the engineering issues are still nontrivial. :)

sokarul

• Extra Racist

Enough light concentrated in one place can be dense enough to form a black hole, let alone a much smaller amount required for 'only' 1g of gravitational pull.

Like it says, mass energy equivalence.
The momentum of light was used to make a new type of matter, Bose-Einstein Condensate.

I would say light acts like a particle because it only leaves one count on a detector even though the wave spreads out. 

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Timeisup

Like it says, mass energy equivalence.
The momentum of light was used to make a new type of matter, Bose-Einstein Condensate.

I would say light acts like a particle because it only leaves one count on a detector even though the wave spreads out.

How did you come by your opinion?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
I use photon detectors.

In college I performed gamma spectroscopy experiment.

Anatomy of the eye

Current accepted theory.

My chemistry degree with my physics minor.

Need more?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.