gaming platforms

• 92 Replies

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
Re: gaming platforms
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2021, 04:31:47 PM »
RetroPi
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-build-a-raspberry-pi-powered-retro-video-game-console
I really really like RetroPi. I've got a MicroSD card for one of my Pi 4's for it and a few USB controllers to mimic their original counterparts from days of yore.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2021, 07:15:32 AM »
RetroPi
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-build-a-raspberry-pi-powered-retro-video-game-console
I really really like RetroPi. I've got a MicroSD card for one of my Pi 4's for it and a few USB controllers to mimic their original counterparts from days of yore.

I built an arcade console for my kids around one of those things.  I wanted to include a coin slot but I didn't have the time.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2021, 07:19:14 AM »
anyways i know how it feels to waste money on a EA game just to find out you hate it.
Is it any different from wasting money on anybody else's game just to find out you hate it?

Well if you blew your money on an indie developer you could kind of think oh well, maybe they can use the money to make better games

When you blow your money on the likes of EA when you expected a AAA game but instead got a bucket of shit that they still want to charge you the entire game again on stupid DLC then yeah, you can get more shitty given they already have billions and they just took you for a chump

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

?

FE4

• Achievement unlocked: no mercy
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2021, 01:48:06 PM »
anyways i know how it feels to waste money on a EA game just to find out you hate it.
Is it any different from wasting money on anybody else's game just to find out you hate it?

Well if you blew your money on an indie developer you could kind of think oh well, maybe they can use the money to make better games

When you blow your money on the likes of EA when you expected a AAA game but instead got a bucket of shit that they still want to charge you the entire game again on stupid DLC then yeah, you can get more shitty given they already have billions and they just took you for a chump
And that's why i don't play EA game's anymore.
I would rather play this amazing game called Dying light,it's a pretty good online and offline game if you turn the settings to private or Single player. There are also parkour mechanics so it's pretty fluid.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by yourself

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2021, 08:36:43 AM »
When you blow your money on the likes of EA when you expected a AAA game but instead got a bucket of shit
Yeah, because reviews aren't a thing.   ::)

that they still want to charge you the entire game again on stupid DLC then yeah, you can get more shitty given they already have billions and they just took you for a chump
OMG! Capitalist company trying to make as much money as they can in a capitalist system!  The shock! The horror!

Gamers seem to have a weird sense of entitlement you don't find elsewhere.  They will buy games they don't like from companies they hate then endlessly rage on forums about how much they hate said company and how the game is shitty.  Or they seem to think game production and distribution should be run on some kind of charity or communist basis.

If you hate EA so much then don't buy their products.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2021, 08:44:54 AM »
When you blow your money on the likes of EA when you expected a AAA game but instead got a bucket of shit

that they still want to charge you the entire game again on stupid DLC then yeah, you can get more shitty given they already have billions and they just took you for a chump
OMG! Capitalist company trying to make as much money as they can in a capitalist system!  The shock! The horror!

Gamers seem to have a weird sense of entitlement you don't find elsewhere.  They will buy games they don't like from companies they hate then endlessly rage on forums about how much they hate said company and how the game is shitty.  Or they seem to think game production and distribution should be run on some kind of charity or communist basis.

I think for the most part, gamers want a game that is in a finished state when it's released and you can do the things the company making the game said you'd be able to do without spending additional money after having already paid full retail price for the game. You know, the way it was for basically all of video game history until consoles became connected to the internet? I don't think adding gambling mechanics into games they know kids are playing during their formative years is a great idea either, which is what the loot crate controversy was about. Yes, it's a company leveraging capitalism, but companies that make money from gamblers tend to be a bit more regulated in terms of who they can consider potential customers and how they can engage them.

That said, the whole EA part of this conversation sprung from what I said about how great it is that now I can try their games (I happen to have a couple Star Wars obsessed friends that absolutely will get the next EA Star Wars game on day 1 and want to play co-op) without going out and buying it. I don't have to give them a dime anymore if I just want to hop into a game with some friends.

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2021, 10:21:15 AM »
I think for the most part, gamers want a game that is in a finished state when it's released and you can do the things the company making the game said you'd be able to do without spending additional money after having already paid full retail price for the game. You know, the way it was for basically all of video game history until consoles became connected to the internet?
AAA games are vastly more complicated now and what a "finished state" actually is, is highly debatable.  Caveat emperor still stands though - read the reviews before you buy the bloody thing.  If you pre-order and it turns out shit, then that's your own fault.

I don't think adding gambling mechanics into games they know kids are playing during their formative years is a great idea either, which is what the loot crate controversy was about. Yes, it's a company leveraging capitalism, but companies that make money from gamblers tend to be a bit more regulated in terms of who they can consider potential customers and how they can engage them.
The loot crate/gambling stuff is a whole different mess.  This needs much tighter regulation in most places - we can't just expect big publicly traded companies to behave responsibly towards vulnerable consumers.  Their responsibility lies with their shareholders, not us.    This is where lawmakers need to act.

That said, the whole EA part of this conversation sprung from what I said about how great it is that now I can try their games (I happen to have a couple Star Wars obsessed friends that absolutely will get the next EA Star Wars game on day 1 and want to play co-op) without going out and buying it. I don't have to give them a dime anymore if I just want to hop into a game with some friends.
Yeah, I've just discovered the Xbox pass for the PC for £8 a month and it's great!  Trying out stuff like Forza 4, which I wouldn't normally touch.

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2021, 05:10:43 PM »

I always check out multiple reviews on YouTube such as Gameranx before you buy, ACG, and Worthabuy

Yongyeah is pretty good updating about news

EA is rightfully in the shit with their loot boxes being no different to gambling and some countries are taking action. This isnt about just capitalism anymore, this is now getting children hooked on gambling. So rightfully they should be called out and condemned

Also you might love a particular IP such as Mass Effect and then EA comes in and calls the shots thinking the franchise. Why shouldn't gamers hate them?

https://screenrant.com/video-game-franchises-ea-ruined/

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2021, 02:55:33 AM »
EA is rightfully in the shit with their loot boxes being no different to gambling and some countries are taking action. This isnt about just capitalism anymore, this is now getting children hooked on gambling.
I'm not sure why you think getting children hooked on gambling isn't capitalism?

Also you might love a particular IP such as Mass Effect and then EA comes in and calls the shots thinking the franchise. Why shouldn't gamers hate them?

https://screenrant.com/video-game-franchises-ea-ruined/
I know, I'm still gutted about Magic Carpet and Skate.  These would be huge if it wasn't for EA.

Seriously, a lot of these franchises would be dead, or putting out shit games, with or without EA.  That's the nature of things.  I enjoyed the first few Mass Effect then the last one looked a bit shit, so I didn't buy it.  That's it.  I'm not a 5 years old so I didn't cry all over the internet about it and just played one of the thousands of other games out there instead.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2021, 03:28:32 AM »
Ok, so vevsuse you live in a capatilist country you don't have an issue with hooking kids on gambling mechsnics setting them up for ruin (or their parents if they nick off with their credit card)

Yeah, read you

Know your place

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2021, 03:58:24 AM »
Ok, so vevsuse you live in a capatilist country you don't have an issue with hooking kids on gambling mechsnics setting them up for ruin (or their parents if they nick off with their credit card)

Yeah, read you
Which is totally ignoring what I actually said:

The loot crate/gambling stuff is a whole different mess.  This needs much tighter regulation in most places - we can't just expect big publicly traded companies to behave responsibly towards vulnerable consumers.  Their responsibility lies with their shareholders, not us.    This is where lawmakers need to act.

I'm not in favour of introducing kids to gambling - we need better regulated markets.  Whining about EA won't do anything.

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2021, 06:45:28 AM »
PC is the only "console" I still semi-regularly game on. There's no beating it, IMO, especially now with the proliferation of emulation.

That being said, I like other consoles. I had a GameCube years ago. I still dream about the Dreamcast. The N64 was great.
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2021, 06:48:32 AM »

Yeah, read you
Which is totally ignoring what I actually said:

I'm not in favour of introducing kids to gambling - we need better regulated markets.  Whining about EA won't do anything.

Whining about EA is what gets law makers to take notice of the shitty tactics EA is doing

Whining about EA enough may get them to rethink how they operate in the future. After the massive failure of Anthem, apparently EA is rethinking how they do games, especially in the multi player department

https://amp.reddit.com/r/funhaus/comments/bmcytn/anthem_failed_so_hard_that_ea_is_rethinking_games/

Remember before Anthem launched, they showcased this uber cool looking 'game play' footage and it did look amazing. When the actual game arrived it looked nothing like what they showed at E3. Why shouldn't people be pissed? Personally I never pre order. I don't see the point but for the suckers that did, why shouldn't they be pissed?

Andromeda was another failure. Massive graphical downgrades from what the trailers promised. EA are king when it comes to shitty, slimy, deceptive bait and switch tactics

Now CD Projekt Red screwed up and launched an incomplete, buggy shit of a game with Cyberpunk 2077. It's become a standard for gaming companies to release an unfinished product relying on patches. People should be right to be upset and demand a new standard. One where games are sold polished and with minimal bugs and zero game breaking bugs.

Hopefully gamers stop with the pre ordering nonsense. That would really f up gaming companies and set them straight when they know people won't buy their games until they have seen real reviews

Know your place

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2021, 12:20:45 PM »

Whining about EA is what gets law makers to take notice of the shitty tactics EA is doing
OK, then carry on doing god's work   ::)

Now CD Projekt Red screwed up and launched an incomplete, buggy shit of a game with Cyberpunk 2077.
As their financiers were understandably getting desperate to see some return on their investment.  These AAA games are getting so incredibly complicated it can take years to fix them and there was no end in sight, so they had to stick it out there.  They didn't get any money from me, as I'm not an idiot who pre-orders.  I will wait until it's patched properly then grab it in a sale.

People should be right to be upset and demand a new standard.
People should stop buying broken games, the market will take care of that.   They don't have a "right" to demand anything, it's just a fucking computer game.

Hopefully gamers stop with the pre ordering nonsense.
Unfortunately too many of them are a bunch of man-children who just want to get the game on day one then cry like babies when it doesn't meet their expectations. They are the same demographic as these 40 year olds you see waving light sabres around at cinemas then whining when the latest Star Wars turns out to be shit.  Fuck those guys.

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2021, 07:15:57 AM »
Despite of the fact that I play PS5 for the last two weeks, anyway I'm gonna vote PC platform because this is the main base of the gaming world. It is complex and diverse and there are games that can't be reached by other consoles. But PC can reach everything with the help of emulators. I remember I found an article on Gaming News Australia about the advantages of the PC to other consoles, so I will say there are a lot of them, beginning with the amount of games, ending with the unreachable possibilities.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:15:51 AM by ProvUnitV »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2021, 09:32:53 AM »
You would have thought by now that people would have learned better than to trust an initial release of anything from anyone.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

FE4

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2021, 10:25:24 AM »
PC is the only "console" I still semi-regularly game on. There's no beating it, IMO, especially now with the proliferation of emulation.

That being said, I like other consoles. I had a GameCube years ago. I still dream about the Dreamcast. The N64 was great.
Comrade jamie, PC is not a console but a platform.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2021, 10:53:46 AM »
Are all consoles platforms, but not all platforms consoles? How are you defining the boundary between one and the other?

?

FE4

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2021, 10:57:36 AM »
Are all consoles platforms, but not all platforms consoles? How are you defining the boundary between one and the other?
I have been playing games for 10 years comrade.
Consoles are different from pc gaming.
First consoles have controllers that have a dpad,4 buttons and shoulder buttons.
PC has a mouse and keyboard which has more than 26 buttons or whatever you want to call it comrade.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2021, 11:01:50 AM »
First consoles have controllers that have a dpad,4 buttons and shoulder buttons.
PC has a mouse and keyboard which has more than 26 buttons or whatever you want to call it comrade.
You can use a keyboard and mouse on console, and you can use a controller on a computer. Xbox added keyboard and mouse support beginning with the Xbox One. And even their original controllers from the very first Xbox were just USB devices and people were known to sometimes cut the connector off and splice in a USB connector to use it with their PC. There's a lot of overlap. I think modern consoles might very well be platforms, but that's why I asked how you are defining them.

?

FE4

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2021, 11:03:02 AM »
You can use a keyboard and mouse on console, and you can use a controller on a computer. Xbox added keyboard and mouse support beginning with the Xbox One. And even their original controllers from the very first Xbox were just USB devices and people were known to sometimes cut the connector off and splice in a USB connector to use it with their PC. There's a lot of overlap. I think modern consoles might very well be platforms, but that's why I asked how you are defining them.
Im not dumb.
I know you can do that.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2021, 11:10:35 AM »
Im not dumb.
I know you can do that.
I didn't say you were. I've asked pretty clearly, and clarified further, and I'll ask again: How are you defining "console" vs "platform" in a meaningful way today? If a console isn't a platform, why is that?

?

FE4

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2021, 11:13:11 AM »
Im not dumb.
I know you can do that.
I didn't say you were. I've asked pretty clearly, and clarified further, and I'll ask again: How are you defining "console" vs "platform" in a meaningful way today? If a console isn't a platform, why is that?
A console is a platform comrade.
Consoles are a group of devices that use controllers and dont use pc.
(While writing this my mind went blank so i have no idea what other difference right now and my grammer is a bit bad.)

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2021, 11:39:55 AM »
I just don't think that definition holds much water anymore. The last couple generations of consoles have basically been gaming PCs, and especially the XSX/PS5. Not only do they have gaming, but they have other apps that have nothing to do with gaming. They also have social networks built in. They are built from modern PC components. I don't think you can really fault Jamie for saying "PC is the only "console" I still semi-regularly game on." The line between a console and a PC is getting pretty blurry, and it's only getting blurrier. I can play Xbox on my phone now, with or without a physical controller. Or on my Lenovo Android tablet. Soon I'll be able to play it in a browser window or an iPad, too. And then when I want to play it on the actual Xbox, I can do that and pick up right where I left off.

?

FE4

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2021, 11:43:58 AM »
I just don't think that definition holds much water anymore. The last couple generations of consoles have basically been gaming PCs, and especially the XSX/PS5. Not only do they have gaming, but they have other apps that have nothing to do with gaming. They also have social networks built in. They are built from modern PC components. I don't think you can really fault Jamie for saying "PC is the only "console" I still semi-regularly game on." The line between a console and a PC is getting pretty blurry, and it's only getting blurrier. I can play Xbox on my phone now, with or without a physical controller. Or on my Lenovo Android tablet. Soon I'll be able to play it in a browser window or an iPad, too. And then when I want to play it on the actual Xbox, I can do that and pick up right where I left off.
I remember when consoles and PCs were 2 different things.
And now what their doing is making me angry >:(

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2021, 10:56:51 AM »
Consoles are the Macintoshes of the computer gaming world.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2021, 11:02:06 AM »
Consoles are the Macintoshes of the computer gaming world.

You are thinking of the Nintendo Switch. Overpriced, underpowered POS

Know your place

?

FE4

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2021, 01:04:34 PM »
Whoever picked the switch wasted there money on a portable,underpowered console thing(I dont even know what to call.)
I would instead buy a XB or PS but i would also like PC,the good thing is i know how to play all of them.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2021, 01:31:03 PM »
Yeah, the Playstation version of Breath of the Wild is so much better than the Switch version.

?

FE4

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2021, 01:32:48 PM »
Yeah, the Playstation version of Breath of the Wild is so much better than the Switch version.
Wait they have it on PS?
I thought it was a nintendo game!
Nintendo doesn't put their games on other platforms besides its own.