Where do the rockets go?

• 53 Replies

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
Re: Where do the rockets go?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2021, 03:57:02 PM »
What's your argument now? You're not making any sense.

I just read your link, and this is even more comical now.  One would probably start rebutting my example with contemporary sources, and not a recent article which itself concludes: 
Quote from: YOUR LINK
Despite some leaks and other obstacles, the push for secrecy and the intense restrictions had their desired effect. When the first atomic bomb was dropped, the world erupted at the information that a bomb had been built under their noses. Individuals who had been working at Manhattan Project sites were shocked to discover what had been classified as “top-secret.” The building of the atomic bomb is still regarded as the United States’ best-kept secret.

Quote from: Stash
You picked a bad example. :)
Irony abounds.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2021, 04:05:36 PM »
The real question along those lines is how many people knew about it after the bombings?
And that is quite a lot, given that they released a document to the public describing it.

It is very hard to hide two extremely large nuclear blasts over populated cities. It's the sort of thing people are like to talk about. If they had not succeeded, what would the public know, and when?

As is, it was three years, billions of then-dollars, over 100,000 individuals, millions of manhours, spent rather quietly with deadly efficiency. Staggering.

Very efficient if you ignore all the leaks and espionage that went on. The program wasn't front page news but plenty of people knew what was going on, and plenty more were literally walking off with the most top secret information.

Not a good example of the Government keeping secrets.

JackBlack

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2021, 04:54:20 PM »
The real question along those lines is how many people knew about it after the bombings?
And that is quite a lot, given that they released a document to the public describing it.
It is very hard to hide two extremely large nuclear blasts over populated cities. It's the sort of thing people are like to talk about. If they had not succeeded, what would the public know, and when?
Like it is hard to hide numerous large rockets sent off into space, with loads of satellites sending signals back to Earth?

Why not just claim they made a really big bomb, and keep all the details about it secret? Why let the world know that it was a nuclear weapon, rather than a conventional one?

The point is, you have fundamentally different situations.
In order to make it comparable, you would have to claim that the nuclear bombs weren't actually nuclear at all, and that even now that has been kept secret.

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 12:30:55 AM »
So photos of an EVA training pool, Avatar, parabolic flights, and the Manhattan project.  Is this just a bunch of flat earther memes, or is there supposed to be some kind of argument here?

Mikey T.

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 04:38:08 AM »
So photos of an EVA training pool, Avatar, parabolic flights, and the Manhattan project.  Is this just a bunch of flat earther memes, or is there supposed to be some kind of argument here?
Did you honestly expect more than that?  Most FE posters here are forum trolls.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2021, 04:54:54 PM »

Someone asked a question and I answered it. I made no argument at all.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2021, 06:43:29 PM »
Rockets presumably went to Skylab. The only way I know of to get there and back. Pre-CGI olden days:

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2021, 11:16:41 PM »
Rockets presumably went to Skylab. The only way I know of to get there and back. Pre-CGI olden days:

Pre CGI days?

Amazing what you can do in so called micro gravity, eh?
flips and turns without smashing into the top of the circle.

It's almost like they have shark fins to be able to manipulate their bodies in that pesky micro gravity.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2021, 11:18:07 PM »
Reminds me of the Kubrick scene in the airlock.

Could also be easily done, like this:

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2021, 12:15:32 AM »

Someone asked a question and I answered it. I made no argument at all.

Like the word association game?

Sound stages?  Swimming pool!
Breathe  underwater?  Avatar!

Don’t get me wrong, I understand that like Airplane, the gags work best served up straight.

JackBlack

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2021, 12:33:56 AM »
It's almost like momentum is conserved rather than just magically changing all the time.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2021, 05:34:14 AM »
It's almost like momentum is conserved rather than just magically changing all the time.
You mean like, when they jump they do not stop unless they hit a barrier?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2021, 05:43:25 AM »
It's almost like they have shark fins to be able to manipulate their bodies in that pesky micro gravity.

It's all done with shark fins an mirrors. Sure. The memorable quotes are flying hard and fast today.

Where exactly do you see shark fins strapped to his body?  :-\

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »
Reminds me of the Kubrick scene in the airlock.

Could also be easily done, like this:

True, it's does look like the running ramp in 2001. But they weren't doing acrobatics like this in the movie. As well, the vomit comet max's out at around 30 seconds tops of near weightlessness. There are skylab videos that are uncut of people and things floating around, acrobatics and such, that are longer than a minute. So no, not the vomit comet trick.

CGI is out. So the only other option other than it being real would be some sort of sophisticated practical effect(s), like cables and gimbals, etc. But I see no evidence of that kind of rigging. As well as in some of the shots, I don't see how it could be done with practical effects at all. Here's a cool fly-thru from the early 70's:

There's an archive I found a couple of years back of all the skylab footage - I'll try and find it again.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2021, 02:35:29 PM »

There must have been a wizard in the sixties.

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2021, 12:53:27 AM »

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” - Arthur C Clarke

“To some more than others” - me

The magic here is cables, sped up film and clever usage of camera positioning.  Lowering towards the camera, pulling up away from camera for each of the reverse shots. 

It’s still a fantastic piece of cinematography, but it’s not hard to work out what’s going on. 

Mikey T.

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2021, 04:27:22 AM »

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” - Arthur C Clarke

“To some more than others” - me

The magic here is cables, sped up film and clever usage of camera positioning.  Lowering towards the camera, pulling up away from camera for each of the reverse shots. 

It’s still a fantastic piece of cinematography, but it’s not hard to work out what’s going on.
And it's not accurate to the movement.  It's a pretty good approximation and the best they could do in Earth's gravity, without massive computing power to do CGI.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2021, 10:08:05 AM »

Here's how it was done. Basically, "Dave" jumped off of a platform counter-balanced by another guy on a rope. Great practical effect that works for about 70 frames (3 seconds) of film. No comparison to SkyLab footage.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2021, 11:46:57 PM »

Seems like your whole theory relies on them existing.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2021, 09:31:09 PM »

Here's how it was done. Basically, "Dave" jumped off of a platform counter-balanced by another guy on a rope. Great practical effect that works for about 70 frames (3 seconds) of film.

You guys just got done telling me that CGI was the only way to accomplish visual effects, so there was no way weightlessness could be reproduced in the 70's...

Mikey T.

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2021, 04:17:52 AM »

Here's how it was done. Basically, "Dave" jumped off of a platform counter-balanced by another guy on a rope. Great practical effect that works for about 70 frames (3 seconds) of film.

You guys just got done telling me that CGI was the only way to accomplish visual effects, so there was no way weightlessness could be reproduced in the 70's...
Who said CGI was the ONLY way?  Don't be dishonest.

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2021, 09:09:33 AM »
Nazi invasion of USSR in 1941 was kept a secret, as was D-day. Allies didn't know what was happening in death camps until they occupied them.Military operations ad thiese involving millions of people were kept secret. Same applies for military science
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:13:40 AM by Code-Beta1234 »

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2021, 10:56:19 AM »
Nazi invasion of USSR in 1941 was kept a secret, as was D-day. Allies didn't know what was happening in death camps until they occupied them.Military operations ad thiese involving millions of people were kept secret. Same applies for military science

Operation Barbarossa (Nazi invasion of USSR) was not a secret after late June, 1941. The planning was kept secret, but that didn't involve millions.

The Germans knew of the Allied buildup in England well before D-Day, but didn't know the planned date or location. Again, the planning didn't involve many people.

The "millions" involved in the death camps were prisoners, and quite effectively sequestered. The number of non-prisoners who had an idea of the scale was small. Once the fences were breached, the secret got out in a hurry.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2021, 01:26:23 PM »

No.  In the 70s, visual effects were used to show Edward Woodward being burnt alive in a GIANT STRAWMAN while the heathen islanders sang harvest songs lead by Christopher Lee in a dress.