Poll

Would you be happy for a social credit score system?

Yes! I do many good deeds and should be recognised and rewarded for it
No! I'm an arsehole who would score poorly and thus be disadvantaged
It could never be fairly applied and would require massive intrusion on our privacy. Do we really need a 'Big Brother' to watch us?  And isn't a good deed its own reward?

Social credit scores

• 24 Replies

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Social credit scores
« on: March 02, 2021, 11:49:25 AM »
How would you guys feel for a social credit scoring system like that in China? Jaywalking? Lose points. Litter? Lose points? Being a dick? Lose points

A loss of points may bar you from going on public transport or certain entertainment or other facilities and the like. However if you think about how this could be applied it would require neighbours to dob you in or massive levels of CCTV cameras with very good facial recognition technology which some people may find uneasy

Also if there is no reward or incentive to do a good deed, those that do are doing so because it's from the heart. They do it because they are nice. If you incentivize doing good deeds, you may not be helping that old lady cross the street because you're a nice guy, you're only doing it because you want something in return. People would just look so fake and shallow - regardless of noble intentions.

In some ways, I don't mind the idea. Sure there's the creepy CCTV and facial recognition tech but don't many people give away all their information on social media anyway? And looking at how society is trending these days, perhaps we should be incentivizing people to do good things for one another, even if the motivation is ultimately selfish

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Re: Social credit scores
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 11:51:09 AM »
I am very curious to know if anyone actually thinks this is a good idea.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »
It already exists! But the rest of the world calls it credit rating... And apparently some companies are trying to figure out how to use social media posts to make it more "accurate". And it sucks.

Sure there's the creepy CCTV and facial recognition tech but don't many people give away all their information on social media anyway?

Yes but it is not the same. If I post something on Instagram or Facebook, I'm expecting that my friends will see it and maybe someone else, and the worst thing that might happen is that maybe someone doesn't like my face and gets really angry. It's a much different thing if the state is actively trying to process your data to control and regulate your behavior. It is much more significant than someone finding it "uneasy". It's pretty dangerous.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 12:08:41 PM »
Little bit more info:

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 12:15:11 PM »
Yeah, this is probably the worst idea that could possibly be implemented.  Look no further than Twitter to see why.  All it would take is 1 out of context joke or comment and your entire life would be irredeemably ruined.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 12:15:19 PM »
Do not want.

I watch a lot of Chinese youtube channels, and they are great. I wonder if the ones that get millions of views get a higher social credit score.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 12:36:28 PM »
Yeah, this is probably the worst idea that could possibly be implemented.  Look no further than Twitter to see why.  All it would take is 1 out of context joke or comment and your entire life would be irredeemably ruined.
Doesn't quite work like that in China, if you fuck up and it drops you can do something to make it rise again. But it's still pretty bad.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 12:37:00 PM »
I voted nope. nopenopenopenopenope.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 12:53:40 PM »
How would you guys feel for a social credit scoring system like that in China?
I think it's fucking horrible.

Next.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 01:05:59 PM »
It already exists! But the rest of the world calls it credit rating religion...
FTFY

Some would contend that God is the only scorekeeper that really matters.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 01:14:15 PM »
Like all things it can be spun to seemingly have merit, but it requires a lot of trust in your government which frankly, no one does, could be easily 'gamed' and what's to stop a government from vilifying you over your politics using the social credit system as a way to sway opinion on its rivals?

Bad enough in a democratic government but an authoritarian dictatorship like China? Yikes

On the plus side though maybe it would prevent them from spitting everywhere without shame in the street. You must always look at your feet when you walk because there are literally hundreds of dirty spits on the pavement in a short walk to the shops. They will spit at your feet like it's normal while waiting at a bus stop. That cultural norm phenomenon should die!

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 01:57:23 PM »
Shame nobody can agree on how the scoring system works.  Or even which god is keeping score.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 02:08:14 PM »
It kind of reminds me of what happened in my fair city. A couple of years back there was a new ordinance regarding how long residents could leave their trash and recycle bins out on the curb. Every one has big brown and blue refuse bins that they wheel out onto the sidewalk the night before trash pick-up. I guess some folks wouldn't wheel their bins back inside in a timely fashion according to some other folks. So the ordinance was a small fine for those whose bins were still on the sidewalk 12 hours after pick-up.

Immediately after enacted, the city got flooded with calls from people turning in other people for their wayward and tardy bin management. Everyone was turning in everyone else. It was dog-eat-dog mayhem. Within a couple of months, they rescinded the ordinance.

I could see where something like the social score could spin wildly out of control as the citizenry turns against each other in order to level some one down and/or level themselves up. Funny what motivates humans.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 02:09:28 PM »
Homeowners associations are a bit like this social credit score thing. Neighbors ratting out their neighbors for having weeds and shit.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 02:10:52 PM »
Homeowners associations are a bit like this social credit score thing. Neighbors ratting out their neighbors for having weeds and shit.

Exactly, same thing. It's like my city created one big HOA.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 02:14:53 PM »
It kind of reminds me of what happened in my fair city. A couple of years back there was a new ordinance regarding how long residents could leave their trash and recycle bins out on the curb. Every one has big brown and blue refuse bins that they wheel out onto the sidewalk the night before trash pick-up. I guess some folks wouldn't wheel their bins back inside in a timely fashion according to some other folks. So the ordinance was a small fine for those whose bins were still on the sidewalk 12 hours after pick-up.

Immediately after enacted, the city got flooded with calls from people turning in other people for their wayward and tardy bin management. Everyone was turning in everyone else. It was dog-eat-dog mayhem. Within a couple of months, they rescinded the ordinance.

I could see where something like the social score could spin wildly out of control as the citizenry turns against each other in order to level some one down and/or level themselves up. Funny what motivates humans.
This is a perfect example of how, when people have nothing better to do, they often find weird ways to make other people's lives less convenient. It's such a weird thing.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 03:08:01 PM »

I voted for the second option, as I get older I intend to shout at bad parking, fashion victims, squirrels, passing airplanes, crying children, children, children who are crying because I shouted at them and god botherers.

So I wouldn't thrive.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 04:20:12 PM »

I voted for the second option, as I get older I intend to shout at bad parking, fashion victims, squirrels, passing airplanes, crying children, children, children who are crying because I shouted at them and god botherers.

So I wouldn't thrive.

So...

No wait.  That's Bernie Sanders.  I meant...

Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 05:00:10 PM »
Shame nobody can agree on how the scoring system works.  Or even which god is keeping score.
Where's the challenge if you know the rules? ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 05:35:35 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_and_Out_in_the_Magic_Kingdom

If you like science fiction, this is a great little read.  And free too!

This takes social credit scores to the logical extreme using technology where everyone is connected to the net. Your 'value' is calculated in real-time based on the opinion of every single person in the entire human race.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/lxyfh1/aita_im_an_hoa_president_and_we_are_making_all_of/

AITA I'm an HOA president and we are making all of our residents keep their garage doors open from 8 am to 5 pm?

As the title states, we are making all members of the HOA keep their garage doors open from 8 am to 5 pm as there was someone living in the garage in one of the houses and another was renting our the garage on AIRBNB.

This is a serious issue which violates the CCR and the values and integrity our great HOA stands for, the values that uphold the standard of our neighborhood. I simply cannot allow people to have illegal businesses and other practices which undermine the neighborhood standards. The board and I made a decision to force everyone to open their garage doors from 8 am to 5 pm to ensure there's no squatters, air bnbs or any other funny business.

Well the neighborhood hasn't been happy about it, with half the neighborhood refusing to cooperate so there's a 100 dollar fine for everyday they refuse to do it as well as administrative hearings. We have other people who open their garage door by a couple inches. These people are undermining the power and integrity of the neighborhood and the HOA. These people need to respect our auhtority.

I have had some neighbors curse me out and send me tons of hate mail anoymously and I went over to talk to one of the neighbors, some crazy veteran with PTSD probably, really unstable and he went on some rant about how he lost his eye serving our country and he sure as hell isn't going to tolerate another tyrant over here and he will refuse to cooperate and he slammed the door in my face.

I have a lot of people calling me horrible names and scuh and I don't understand why. Yes I understand this is a inconvience, but come on, this is for the good of the neighborhood

EDIT: im asking the mods to lock the comments, in the mean time stop commenting I've had enough comments which don't agree, clearly nobody here is a home owner or a stupid poor redneck

C:-)

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 01:38:03 AM »

So I wouldn't thrive.

So...

No wait.  That's Bernie Sanders.  I meant...

I don't know who this fucker is, or why I should care?

I have way more hair and there's no fucking way I'd wear a jacket over a long sleeved t-shirt or look so gormless.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 02:20:33 AM »
I don't know who this fucker is, or why I should care?
I have way more hair and there's no fucking way I'd wear a jacket over a long sleeved t-shirt or look so gormless.

Hey,  wash your mouth,  that's the one and only comic genius Larry David.   Creator of shows like Seinfield,  and "Curb your Enthusiam"

He plays Bernie Sanders on Saturday Night Live.

----  Now your American pop culture education is complete ----
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 05:04:35 AM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/lxyfh1/aita_im_an_hoa_president_and_we_are_making_all_of/

AITA I'm an HOA president and we are making all of our residents keep their garage doors open from 8 am to 5 pm?

As the title states, we are making all members of the HOA keep their garage doors open from 8 am to 5 pm as there was someone living in the garage in one of the houses and another was renting our the garage on AIRBNB.

This is a serious issue which violates the CCR and the values and integrity our great HOA stands for, the values that uphold the standard of our neighborhood. I simply cannot allow people to have illegal businesses and other practices which undermine the neighborhood standards. The board and I made a decision to force everyone to open their garage doors from 8 am to 5 pm to ensure there's no squatters, air bnbs or any other funny business.

Well the neighborhood hasn't been happy about it, with half the neighborhood refusing to cooperate so there's a 100 dollar fine for everyday they refuse to do it as well as administrative hearings. We have other people who open their garage door by a couple inches. These people are undermining the power and integrity of the neighborhood and the HOA. These people need to respect our auhtority.

I have had some neighbors curse me out and send me tons of hate mail anoymously and I went over to talk to one of the neighbors, some crazy veteran with PTSD probably, really unstable and he went on some rant about how he lost his eye serving our country and he sure as hell isn't going to tolerate another tyrant over here and he will refuse to cooperate and he slammed the door in my face.

I have a lot of people calling me horrible names and scuh and I don't understand why. Yes I understand this is a inconvience, but come on, this is for the good of the neighborhood

EDIT: im asking the mods to lock the comments, in the mean time stop commenting I've had enough comments which don't agree, clearly nobody here is a home owner or a stupid poor redneck

C:-)

That is hilarious. My favorite part, invoking the "to ensure there's no ...any other funny business" clause.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2021, 06:29:00 AM »
Nope of course because terrible either but also nope because same as Jura
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?