What's your accent?

• 19 Replies

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
What's your accent?
« on: February 24, 2021, 08:48:37 AM »
I sort of assign accents to all of you in my head when I read your posts. It occurs to me that my imagination might not be accurate.

Bom tishop, I read his posts in the voice of Yosemite Sam.

Jura, can't decide between the chimney sweep on Mary Poppins or Michael fassbenders character on inglorious basterds.

I of course do not have an accent because I am from Las Vegas. But maybe I sound a little like Bill or Ted from their excellent adventures.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Jamie

• Numbers Archivist
Re: What's your accent?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »
What about me?

I don't assign accents so much as I do celebrity voices.

You're Mark Ruffalo. Dunno why.
There is a preverb in Turkish:  "Do not think everybody have beard is your grandfather".

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:39:40 AM »
New England, checking in. My accent isn't nearly as strong as my grandparents' though.

Shifter

• Blind to the truth
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 10:16:07 AM »
I may be Australian but the accent isn't as strong as movies stereotyping us make out. Keep in mind many of us grew up watching American TV shows :)
A Future Is Not Given To You. It Is Something You Must Take For Yourself

boydster

• Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 10:21:56 AM »
I may be Australian but the accent isn't as strong as movies stereotyping us make out. Keep in mind many of us grew up watching American TV shows :)
Ok, Crocodile Dundee. ;D

Shifter

• Blind to the truth
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 10:28:15 AM »
Ok, Crocodile Dundee. ;D

https://insiderguides.com.au/is_there_only_one_australian_accent/

All you wanted to know about aussie accents :P

I'm probably more a Hugh Jackman if you wanted to compare it to anything. I have personally not met anyone who sounds like Paul 'Crocodile Dundee' Hogan
A Future Is Not Given To You. It Is Something You Must Take For Yourself

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 10:54:28 AM »
Geordie.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 11:19:09 AM »
You all sound like Kermit the Frog.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Jamie

• Numbers Archivist
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 11:52:39 AM »

And you sound like Miss Piggy.  ;)
There is a preverb in Turkish:  "Do not think everybody have beard is your grandfather".

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 12:03:33 PM »
Crouts sounds like Brandon Flowers from the killers.

Boydsta I imagine as Dennis Leary.

Jamie, is Michael J Fox when young.

Shifter is definitely Cate Blanchet, no, Kylie Minogue

Scepti now I know he's a Geordie is Mr Bean as I am sure Rowan Atkinson is from up there.

Mom is undoubtedly Mae West.

Gayer is also someone strong, like Noomi Rapace .

As for me, though I have no interest in snooker, this man came from just up the road and has no accent to me so something like this if he drank a lot more and swore.

But I don't say "fink" instead of think, that is just a terrible thing that some midlanders do.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:20:40 PM by Jura-Glenlivet II »
Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

High Priestess of the “Society for the Promotion of Arbitrary Moderation” (SPAM)

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 12:13:00 PM »

Oh and Stash sounds like Fozzie bear, I think because he used to mess up so bad at Werepenguins.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

High Priestess of the “Society for the Promotion of Arbitrary Moderation” (SPAM)

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 01:37:48 PM »
I never really thought about any of you having accents. Or voices at all. Or faces.

My accent is a mix of Wiltshire, Suffolk, generic southern English with a smidgeon of finnish rally English thrown in.

But its also the accent of whoever I am talking to because I can't stop myself from mimicking other people's accents. It's a curse. I probably come across as mocking.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 03:34:51 PM »

And you sound like Miss Piggy.  ;)

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I will imagine Kermit the Frog with a lisp when I read your posts now.  ;)
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Stash

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 04:20:08 PM »
New England, checking in. My accent isn't nearly as strong as my grandparents' though.

I too a New Englander, grew up a Masshole. Though my Dad wouldn't allow the twang growing up so I had to suppress it (He grew up in the Midwest and thought the Bawston accent was abhorrent). But I can still turn it on when I'm back East visiting. I can sound just like Casey Affleck with zero effort:

boydster

• Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 04:36:31 PM »

I too a New Englander, grew up a Masshole. Though my Dad wouldn't allow the twang growing up so I had to suppress it (He grew up in the Midwest and thought the Bawston accent was abhorrent). But I can still turn it on when I'm back East visiting. I can sound just like Casey Affleck with zero effort:

I'm more of the Maine persuasion. My grandfather has a killer Downeast accent and I wish I could emulate it as naturally as it just flows from him.

Stash

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 04:42:34 PM »

I'm more of the Maine persuasion. My grandfather has a killer Downeast accent and I wish I could emulate it as naturally as it just flows from him.

Yeah the Maine accent is awesome. It's got that drawl, very calming. My uncle was from Maine. He had it. Every sentence would begin slowly with a "Err, yah..." then meander his way through his thought. Almost like he was thinking and mindful about what he was saying, unlike me.

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 01:39:08 AM »
Where I live in the West Midlands of the UK (think Peaky Blinders), saying "You are having a laugh" would come out as "Yow'm avin a loff".  ;D
“Once, every village had an idiot. It took the internet to bring them all together.”

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 07:42:33 AM »
Where I live in the West Midlands of the UK (think Peaky Blinders), saying "You are having a laugh" would come out as "Yow'm avin a loff".  ;D

Would this be accurate?

Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 01:51:53 AM »
Not really. Think more Ozzy Osbourne and you will be getting closer.

“Once, every village had an idiot. It took the internet to bring them all together.”

?

Eren

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 02:27:39 AM »

Would this be accurate?

Ya baught it how ya sahw it.