A brief comment on modern politics and moving forward

• 66 Replies
?

Eren

Re: A brief comment on modern politics and moving forward
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2021, 05:34:19 AM »
Ok, you prefer the democrats. That's fine.
Obama started nearly as many wars as Bush did. He was every bit the warmonger Bush was.

Do you mean the democrats would have suspended the bill of rights more than the republicans? I'm not so sure.

No one's going to take you seriously if you claim Republicans "let 500k people die" they also didn't claim it was a hoax. You're nakedly partisan.

The democrats are in charge now so surely everything will get better.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2021, 06:59:22 AM »

No one's going to take you seriously if you claim Republicans "let 500k people die" they also didn't claim it was a hoax. You're nakedly partisan.

You do write like D1, cherry picking, not answering peoples points just paraphrasing bits to reitterate your point.

As for not claiming the pandemic a hoax, not all, but enough.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2020/12/12/republican-congressman-elect-says-covid-is-a-phony-pandemic-as-us-deaths-near-300000/

At a trump rally, knowing it would resonate.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2021, 07:02:03 AM »

You do write like D1, cherry picking, not answering peoples points just paraphrasing bits to reitterate your point.

As for not claiming the pandemic a hoax, not all, but enough.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2020/12/12/republican-congressman-elect-says-covid-is-a-phony-pandemic-as-us-deaths-near-300000/

At a trump rally, knowing it would resonate.

It is most definitely D1, the style, the post frequency, the subject matters, and the time he was most often on (Perth evenings). I don't think he's even trying anymore. Guess he wants the mods to give him another swift bam up his backside

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

?

Eren

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2021, 01:55:47 PM »
Jura are you saying that JJA doesnt prefer the democrats? It's fine that he does. I think both parties are as bad as each other.

Shifter I'm not interested in your conspiracy theories.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2021, 02:11:09 PM »
You say this ^ shifter, yet, you spend much of your time saying how terrible conservatives are. So I guess democrats are the answer? Guess they are not corrupt?
- Cut -

Remember in the 90s (before shitty social media and popularism politics) when George Bush lost after a single term. He smiled as he said his opponent ran a strong campaign, congratulated him and said he would help him transition to the new government and Bush's supporters cheered at that. Contrast that to Trump after his election loss. Both of these men represented the Republican party.

Democrats back then didn’t burn cities to the ground and call for concentration camps of their opposition and for taking children away from their parents to be reeducated.

Which is why now there are several “report Trump supporters” websites. People are ratting on each other, children are ratting on their parents for being reps.

They don't want unity. They want what people incidentally had before the internet, which is a monoculture where everyone is like them and thinks like them.

If you would express a political opinion that isn’t in line with what Antifa enforces in Portland in say a restaurant or any other public place, you can expect to be stabbed and beaten. And nobody to come and help you. That happens all the time there now.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:14:19 PM by Denspressure »
):

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2021, 02:22:29 AM »
[Eren/D1 ]

Jura are you saying that JJA doesnt prefer the democrats? It's fine that he does. I think both parties are as bad as each other.

Shifter I'm not interested in your conspiracy theories.

Yep D1.

Dispo, I realise that you won't be here for a while, but I will respond.
You started the OP bemoaning that we all can’t come together and play to our similarities rather than our differences, and ever since have blathered on about partisanship and bias.
JJ does prefer the Democrats, that is a sane position to take seeing as Trump has led his peoples down the path of autocracy, anyone with an ounce of sense would want to back away from that precipice.

Unless!
There is growing evidence to support what many of us more rational and gifted citizens felt in our bones, that extreme ideological worldviews may be reflective of low-level perceptual and cognitive functions.

In a recent paper from the Royal Society called The cognitive and perceptual correlates of ideological attitudes: a data-driven approach, which used cognitive tasks, personality surveys and data driven analysis. The conclusions were.

Conservatism and nationalism were related to greater caution in perceptual decision-making tasks and to reduced strategic information processing, while dogmatism was associated with slower evidence accumulation and impulsive tendencies. Religiosity was implicated in heightened agreeableness and risk perception. Extreme pro-group attitudes, including violence endorsement against outgroups, were linked to poorer working memory, slower perceptual strategies, and tendencies towards impulsivity and sensation-seeking.
Together these findings suggest that ideological worldviews may be reflective of low-level perceptual and cognitive functions.”

Seeing as how you seem to fit into all the above categories (highlighted), I imagine that through no fault of your own the above is just a word salad, so I will simplify it. You are a Nazi because you don’t have many working braincells, not because it is right.

See (https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rstb.2020.0424).

?

Eren

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2021, 10:29:13 PM »
Seems then banning conservatism would be the best way to move forward in your opinion.

A one party state does have its advantages.

The Nazis lost the war in 1945 and haven't existed for 70+ years.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2021, 02:30:00 AM »
Seems then banning conservatism would be the best way to move forward in your opinion.

A one party state does have its advantages.

The Nazis lost the war in 1945 and haven't existed for 70+ years.

Nazis don't exist? Do you mean simply as a political party in Germany?

?

Eren

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2021, 02:31:31 AM »
I mean they must be pushing 90+ years old now but sure, some still exist.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2021, 02:35:46 AM »

So there are no people in the world under the age of 90 who adhere to and espouse Nazi doctrine?

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2021, 02:36:25 AM »
What do you think of the paper, (not)D1?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2021, 02:36:37 AM »

It's hideous ideology and love for its despicable leader is still very much in existence - as evidenced by you ::)

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

?

Eren

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2021, 02:38:13 AM »

So there are no people in the world under the age of 90 who adhere to and espouse Nazi doctrine?

There are no Nazis under 90, well maybe a few but they must be late 80s by now.

This forum moves incredibly fast. I thought it was so slow when I first joined.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2021, 03:08:06 AM »

I think it's pretty damning and unfortunately, a fairly apt depiction of the state of the State. I mean I couldn't really describe an event like the 6th of January in DC other than being inspired by what they lay out in their findings:

"Dogmatic participants were slower to accumulate evidence in speeded decision-making tasks but were also more impulsive and willing to take ethical risks (figure 4 and electronic supplementary material, figure S6). This combination of traits—impulsivity in conjunction with slow and impaired accumulation of evidence from the decision environment—may result in the dogmatic tendency to discard evidence prematurely and to resist belief updating in light of new information."

That couldn't be more of a spot-on assessment of the insurrectionists, for lack of a better term. All fed by by "Stop the Steal", Qanon, all garbage with little to no basis in actual accumulation of evidence or even reality. We've gone full "Lizard People" think. Never go full Lizard People.

And that's where we stand today, as far as America is concerned, keeling over in the high seas of ridiculousness  - A dogmatic tendency to discard evidence & resist revising what we erroneously believe in light of new evidence. It's confounding. Now we have this whole Qanon/Sovereign Citizen thing where maniacs think DJT will be re-installed as President on March 4th. It's never-ending.

?

Eren

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2021, 03:08:50 AM »

Well if your paper proves that conservatives are only conservative because they are dumb dumbs, the solution is clear. Don't allow conservatives in politics, that way smart people will run the country.

I addressed this logic in my OP.

Where the left wing of the Roman army attacks the right wing of the Roman army because the left wing believes the right wing is useless.

The inevitable result is the loss of the battle.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2021, 04:36:15 AM »

Again you show your limitations because if you had read it you would have found that although it talks about conservatism, it does so in respect to social, economic and political conservatism, which can be very different.

It also states, 
The examination of a range of ideological attitudes pertaining to politics, nationalism, religion and dogmatism exposed remarkable similarities and differences between the psychological correlates of diverse ideological orientations, demonstrating that there may be core psychological underpinnings of ideological thinking across domains
"

This would include left wing dogmatism, itself a form of extemism with pro-group attitudes. But hey, you don't read and you like to frame any point that seems to counter yours in your own simplified and biased way. 

?

Eren

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2021, 04:39:40 AM »
I admit I didn't read it. Seemed like a waste of my time.

You seem to have an incredibly strong pro group attitude towards people with left wing views.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2021, 10:22:11 AM »

You seem to have an incredibly strong pro group attitude towards people with left wing views.

If you didn't read it why are you commenting on it?

You seem to have an incredibly strong predilection toward a dogmatic tendency to discard evidence and resist revisions to your biased belief system when confronted with contrary information. I'm guessing you have a poorer working memory, slower perceptual strategies, and tendencies towards impulsivity and sensation-seeking. I imagine we could sprinkle a dash of heightened and overblown religiosity in there too. Am I wrong?

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2021, 12:38:19 PM »
I take it that you haven't been able to steer this conversation in the direction you had hoped, the old D1 would have tried harder, your reductions of our arguments to one line parodies to deflect us is however still the classic you.

I actually found this a very interesting subject and hoped that you would use the fact that some of it could be levelled at both ends of the political spectrum to maybe make an interesting debate, it would seem I overestimated you in thinking you might read it, I forgot your inclination to just reject that which doesn't fit your world view.
Perhaps I should have spent more time absorbing the implications of the study, my bad.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:14:25 PM by Jura-Glenlivet II »

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2021, 01:58:11 PM »
I think part of the problem, too, is that everything is political now.

That's a postmodernist shtick -- meta-politics. Everything is political, like or not.

Except that's not really true, but it's the narrative these days.
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

?

Eren

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2021, 02:04:16 PM »

If you didn't read it why are you commenting on it?

You seem to have an incredibly strong predilection toward a dogmatic tendency to discard evidence and resist revisions to your biased belief system when confronted with contrary information. I'm guessing you have a poorer working memory, slower perceptual strategies, and tendencies towards impulsivity and sensation-seeking. I imagine we could sprinkle a dash of heightened and overblown religiosity in there too. Am I wrong?

Yeah, you're wrong.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2021, 02:30:02 PM »
Can we stop talking about Nazis and get to the very important announcement of the day? Mr Potato Head has transitioned to non-binary https://apnews.com/article/mr-potato-head-goes-gender-neutral-d3c178f2b9b0c424ed814657be41a9d8
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2021, 02:47:29 PM »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Eren

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2021, 03:20:16 PM »
Can we stop talking about Nazis and get to the very important announcement of the day? Mr Potato Head has transitioned to non-binary https://apnews.com/article/mr-potato-head-goes-gender-neutral-d3c178f2b9b0c424ed814657be41a9d8

Seems to be a theme here.
Did they also change the name from "mr" Potato Head?

Seems they did, well sort of.
“While it was announced today that the POTATO HEAD brand name & logo are dropping the ‘MR.’ I yam proud to confirm that MR. & MRS. POTATO HEAD aren’t going anywhere and will remain MR. & MRS. POTATO HEAD,” the company tweeted.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 03:21:52 PM by Eren »

?

Eren

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2021, 03:27:17 PM »
I actually found this a very interesting subject and hoped that you would use the fact that some of it could be levelled at both ends of the political spectrum to maybe make an interesting debate.

You made the point you wanted to make.

You are a Nazi because you don’t have many working braincells.

I'm not quite sure how to respond.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2021, 02:10:40 AM »

In retrospect that was a bit harsh, I apologise. I got caught in the moment and my sense of humour is probably a bit opaque here.

Allow me to rephrase, you follow an abhorant creed, and seemingly do not have the ability or the inclination to question it.

?

Eren

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2021, 02:24:39 AM »
You're telling the story. I'm not sure how a statement like that will lead to an interesting debate but I suppose there's only one way to find out.

you follow an abhorant creed, and seemingly do not have the ability or the inclination to question it.

No, I disagree.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2021, 02:36:22 AM »
You're telling the story. I'm not sure how a statement like that will lead to an interesting debate but I suppose there's only one way to find out.

you follow an abhorant creed, and seemingly do not have the ability or the inclination to question it.

No, I disagree.

Facinating. I'm sure the KKK, Proud Boys and even the Nazis all think they are following a righteous path. Even those that knowingly drank poisoned Kool Aid and forced it down their children's throat at the behest of Jim Jones would have thought themselves righteous.

Your personal belief or opinion is irrelevant here. On balance, judging by the ideals of a peaceful, tolerant and cohesive society, your creed is very much at odds with it.

Know your place

?

Eren

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2021, 02:51:59 AM »
My creed?
Where is this coming from?

I have it on good authority that personal attacks are against the rules.