Treasures

• 39 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Treasures
« on: February 22, 2021, 02:00:11 PM »
One of my sisters is moving in with me so I've been going through some of the things left from my grandma. So far I've found some ceramics and pottery from the 50s, a uranium glass dish, and a land grant for my great great great grandfather signed by Woodrow Wilson.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

faded mike

• new world tattoo drill scar+++++++I'm thinkin flat
Re: Treasures
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 02:12:38 PM »
COOL!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 02:15:51 PM by faded mike »
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 03:52:54 PM »
Uranium?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 03:57:13 PM »
Yes! It glows under a black light.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

faded mike

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 11:51:50 PM »
I'm guessing its pruple or brown...?
Can you tell us more about this dish. I'ts not a tea pot I'm guessing.
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

faded mike

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 12:02:15 AM »
Is it a pedestal?
           -them

I am not a druggy

Shifter

• Blind to the truth
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 04:04:58 AM »
I'd guess it glows a cool green

A Future Is Not Given To You. It Is Something You Must Take For Yourself

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 04:36:41 AM »
Post a picture SCG!

I love finding cool old treasures.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 11:04:26 AM »
I should post a picture of the ugly, but also interesting, quilt my great grandmother made. It is made of upholstery fabrics, I haven't been able to date the upholstery. I don't know much about fabric, but I think some of it might be from the 40s. Some of it is obviously from the 50s and 60s, because she also used what I think is vinyl. Amazingly, none of the vinyl bits have cracked or peeled.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
I'd like to see a pic of this uranium dish.  I've been reading about these things and I can't see the appeal of it.  There must be better ways to make green dishes than making them radioactive.

Shifter

• Blind to the truth
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 11:31:37 AM »
I'd like to see a pic of this uranium dish.  I've been reading about these things and I can't see the appeal of it.  There must be better ways to make green dishes than making them radioactive.

The amount of uranium is apparently really low. I mean, I wouldn't want to eat off it but as a display piece in a cabinet it could look kind of pretty. No one is complaining about marble, travertine or granite floors and benchtops and they pose low level radiation risks too.

A Future Is Not Given To You. It Is Something You Must Take For Yourself

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 11:58:27 AM »
They used to make all kinds of serving dishes out of uranium glass. It's also called Vaseline glass, sometimes. 

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 11:57:17 PM »

The amount of uranium is apparently really low. I mean, I wouldn't want to eat off it but as a display piece in a cabinet it could look kind of pretty. No one is complaining about marble, travertine or granite floors and benchtops and they pose low level radiation risks too.

Museum guard in St. Petersburg shouted at me for sitting on the marble floor, told me I won't be able to have babies if I sit on it. Hah! Proved him wrong!
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 06:36:02 AM »

Museum guard in St. Petersburg shouted at me for sitting on the marble floor, told me I won't be able to have babies if I sit on it. Hah! Proved him wrong!
Yeah, but just wait until the kids hit puberty and their latent mutant abilities kick in.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 03:02:45 PM »
Today I found my great great aunt's bible. It was given to her in 1927. I have no idea what to do with it.

Stash

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 03:27:03 PM »

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 03:37:54 PM »
I have a book of mormon printed around the 20's or something when it used to say that Native Americans used to be white before their evil ways darkened their skin.

?

Eren

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 04:03:06 PM »
Are you a mormon?

?

Eren

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 04:04:04 PM »
Today I found my great great aunt's bible. It was given to her in 1927. I have no idea what to do with it.

What sort of condition is it in, what version and would you be willing to sell it?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 04:15:01 PM »

What sort of condition is it in, what version and would you be willing to sell it?

It's not in great condition, but when I say I don't know what to do with it, I mean I don't know how to preserve it. It has been on a shelf along with my great grandma's bible and some hymnals for many many years. It's a bit crumbly.

?

Eren

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 04:16:02 PM »
A vacuum sealed bag is the best bet.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2021, 07:39:21 AM »
You could try reading it, after all that was the reason it was made.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2021, 08:29:27 AM »

It will fall apart! I have several others I can read any time.

I just got it out so I could see what kind of bible it is, it says "International Series" and "self pronouncing" (idk what self pronouncing means). The John C. Winston Co., Philadelphia, U.S.A. printed and bound at the International Bible Press. I can't find the year it was printed, and I can only judge it's age by the inscription when it was given to my aunt in 1927. 

Stash

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2021, 08:37:28 AM »

It will fall apart! I have several others I can read any time.

I just got it out so I could see what kind of bible it is, it says "International Series" and "self pronouncing" (idk what self pronouncing means). The John C. Winston Co., Philadelphia, U.S.A. printed and bound at the International Bible Press. I can't find the year it was printed, and I can only judge it's age by the inscription when it was given to my aunt in 1927.

I'm guessing published sometime before 1922 based upon this, if this is the right one:

The Universal self-pronouncing dictionary of the English language :
comprising under one alphabetical arrangement the definition of words... /
based upon the solid foundation laid by Noah Webster and other lexicographers, thoroughly modernized by Charles Morris.

Description

Related Names:   Morris, Charles 1833-1922., Webster, Noah 1758-1843.
Language(s):   English
Published:   Philadelphia : J. C. Winston, c1908.
Physical Description:   xiii, 998 p., [6] p. of plates.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007683472

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2021, 09:13:59 AM »
Oh cool! It could be 100 years old next year.

Stash

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2021, 10:58:46 AM »
Oh cool! It could be 100 years old next year.

Exactly! I'm still not quite clear on what the "self pronouncing" bit refers to. I found this: Self-pronouncing text was used to pronounce names and places mentioned in the Bible, particularly the Old Testament. To accomplish the self-pronouncing feature, the publishers made use of diacritical marks.

Oh, I just found this:

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2021, 11:46:19 AM »
Well that's pretty great. That guy sounds like he could be my neighbor, lol.

Stash

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2021, 11:57:41 AM »
Well that's pretty great. That guy sounds like he could be my neighbor, lol.

Go knock on his door and show him your book. He'd probably love to see a 100 year old one.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2021, 03:01:13 PM »
I wonder if he'd approve of my grannies writing notes in all their bibles. lol

OH, and also I found another treasure. Before my grandma died she wrote her cornbread recipe on a scrap of paper for me, but then she died and I couldn't find it anywhere. For some reason not being able to find it made me bawl my eyes out. Anyway, I found it yesterday and today I made it.

Stash

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2021, 04:22:53 PM »
I wonder if he'd approve of my grannies writing notes in all their bibles. lol

OH, and also I found another treasure. Before my grandma died she wrote her cornbread recipe on a scrap of paper for me, but then she died and I couldn't find it anywhere. For some reason not being able to find it made me bawl my eyes out. Anyway, I found it yesterday and today I made it.

Now that is a great treasure find! From lost tears to found yummy nana cornbread. A banner day.