What made you believe the earth is flat?

• 43 Replies
?

Eren

What made you believe the earth is flat?
« on: February 20, 2021, 11:48:43 PM »
Hello, I always try to be objective and was interested in the evidence that led you to believe the earth is flat.

Especially for the moderators here, what changed your mind about the shape of the earth? Have you always believed the earth is flat or did evidence change your mind?

I'm very open to hearing your views and will not ridicule you for them.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: What made you believe the earth is flat?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 07:31:40 AM »
It looks flat.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »
Is that it?? You believe the Earth is flat because it looks flat.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 08:56:31 AM »
If Earth was round every direction would be downhill.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 10:40:44 AM »
Of course... silly me eh

?

Eren

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 01:36:26 PM »
Why were my posts deleted?

?

Eren

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 01:39:11 PM »
I came here for discussion but if posts are deleted at a whim then I will find another site to discuss ideas on.

Seems this site is a waste of time.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 01:42:28 PM »
I came here for discussion but if posts are deleted at a whim then I will find another site to discuss ideas on.

Seems this site is a waste of time.
None of your posts were deleted. The off-topic stuff with Bullwinkle was split off and moved to AR though (I didn't do it, but based on what I read, it looked like the right thing to do).

?

Eren

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »
Well, enjoy your echo-chamber.

I won't disturb it again. I thought we could freely discuss ideas here.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 02:30:34 PM »
Well, enjoy your echo-chamber.

I won't disturb it again. I thought we could freely discuss ideas here.
You mean this garbage, that you even said didn't belong in this thread?

I'd prefer it if we reserved this thread for actual flat earthers.

You are ignorant and passive aggressive.

?

Eren

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 02:57:10 PM »
So I wasn't allowed to post it but you are.
Fair call, you have the power here.

I would have preferred to speak to actual flat earthers.

?

Eren

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 03:07:47 PM »
If it's some kind of secret here that you all do this as a joke then I understand why you'd try to keep it that way. Just my opinion but it stops the joke being funny when you're so sanctimonious and self righteous about a website you consider a joke.

Have a nice night.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 03:14:25 PM »
So I wasn't allowed to post it but you are.
Fair call, you have the power here.

I would have preferred to speak to actual flat earthers.
It's not that you weren't allowed to post it. I'm not sure what the issue here is. The posts were not relevant to the thread. You said as much, and they got split out. Why is that an issue? To be clear, Bullwinkle created the issue here, and the posts that his derailment resulted in got split off.

?

Eren

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 03:17:51 PM »
Do you mean to imply Bullwinkle doesn't actually think the earth is a dodecahedron but is just doing this as a joke?

I figured. What shape do you believe the earth is? A dodecahedron will be hard to beat admittedly.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 03:25:09 PM »
Do you mean to imply Bullwinkle doesn't actually think the earth is a dodecahedron but is just doing this as a joke?

I figured. What shape do you believe the earth is? A dodecahedron will be hard to beat admittedly.
I am part of the RE faction that you aren't asking for input from in this thread. I only posted to respond to the prior action that was taken and called into question, since my opinion regarding the OP is not the one you were asking for.

?

Eren

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 03:26:18 PM »
Are there any moderators that don't believe the earth is a sphere? I'm just trying to wrap my head around flat earth theory in general.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 03:37:53 PM »
The earth is flat. Also I am the one who split all the the spammy shitposts and put them in angry ranting. Most of the people who show up here are like you, and do not know the earth is flat.

If you miss your posts you can visit them here https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69582.msg2305096#msg2305096
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Eren

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2021, 05:41:58 PM »
I don't believe you believe the earth is flat.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 05:59:16 PM »
I don't believe you believe the earth is flat.

What would lead you believe that? Seems rather presumptuous.

?

Eren

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 06:51:15 PM »
I've read some of their posts and they are able to form coherent arguments for what they believe. However no coherent arguments about the earth being flat.

What shape do you believe the earth is?

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 12:32:39 AM »
Hi Eren

I'm pretty sure i believe the earth is flat.

A kid told the class in school the earth was flat when theybrought out the globe - i just pretty much went with it. Just jokin but kindof. Also i read the four corners of the earth verse in the holy bible and said "its flat" oh my god. Also there was a mman named charles kohnson who had a flat earth website i stumbled upon years back - i think he was a society (one of the societies) president and he testifed how he could see farther than ever should be possible on the globe asdescribed by modern science. And i think the ancient peoples were wiser than modern people...

But now i've seen how this 8inches per Miles(squared) formula although said to be accurate sure doesn't look that way.

I PMed you a list of the remaining flat earthers that are stiil around that i could think of before i thought of posting here.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 12:37:10 AM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 12:38:03 AM »
Stash is RE and up to something.
sorry, I see now he didn't say the original quote - Stash will correct you - sometimes when you don't even need correcting!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 12:42:35 AM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 01:02:03 AM »
Also I'm quite interested in alternative science and suppressed inventions and such.
           -them

?

Eren

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 01:42:50 AM »
Thanks for the responses Mike. So you changed your mind on the shape of the Earth when you read about the four corners of the earth in the Old Testament?

That seems as good of a reason as any.

I think the 8 inches per mile is a rough estimate. If we were measuring curvature of a sphere then 8 inches per mile gets less and less accurate the further out you measure from your initial reference point.

Calculating it accurately requires some high school level math.
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1896238/how-to-calculate-curvature-of-earth-per-surface-kilometer

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 01:50:42 AM »
Your  welcome!
No it wan't old testament.
The easy formula Is pretty acurate from my research - i THINK close to 1% in 500 or 1000km,
 but I'mnot sure about the details. I saw a vid an austrlian guy made comparing to the more exact formula and remeber just confirming that for any distance i would ever see it would be fine enough to reveal that the curvature wasn't there.
           -them

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 01:51:27 AM »
How long you been flat earthin it?
           -them

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 01:52:36 AM »
Is that it?? You believe the Earth is flat because it looks flat.
More like you can never see the curvature... thats what i'm thinking anyway.
           -them

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 02:02:09 AM »
Sorry to here your posts were deleted!
           -them

?

Eren

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 02:05:59 AM »
It's from Isaiah 11:12 which is part of the Torah / Old Testament. I don't believe the phrase is used in the New Testament but I might be wrong.

Unfortunately I think the earth is most likely a sphere but I enjoy challenging my beliefs and that's what I'm hoping to do here.

I have very little respect for people that can't justify what they believe and instead ridicule what others believe without making the time to understand their arguments.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 02:08:18 AM »
It's from Isaiah 11:12 which is part of the Torah / Old Testament. I don't believe the phrase is used in the New Testament but I might be wrong.

Unfortunately I think the earth is most likely a sphere but I enjoy challenging my beliefs and that's what I'm hoping to do here.

I have very little respect for people that can't justify what they believe and instead ridicule what others believe without making the time to understand their arguments.
No it was from revelation
Something about angels on the four corners of the earth holding back the winds ("of change"?) ... maybe something about trumpets.
           -them