Lighthouse dipping lights

• 627 Replies

JJA

• Math is math!
Re: Lighthouse dipping lights
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 10:32:32 AM »

So, on that scale how big are the boat and the lighthouse?
Well, the diameter of the circle is approximately 800 px.
The distance (as a straight line) between the lighthouse and boat is ~270 px.
The height of the boat is ~17 px.
And the lighthouse (going from water level to the light) is ~ 40 px.

That means the boat is ~270 km tall, at a distance of 4300 km from the lighthouse which is ~640 km high.

That is a big boat, and a big mountain.
No need to concentrate on how tall. Concentrate on the angle that both objects would be at from a level sight.
Draw it if you think you can.

Do you truly not understand scale?
To put this to scale would be to not see the diagram.
The diagram shows the angle and the level sight over a curve.

You can stretch it our as much as you want to but the same thing still applies.

Do you area with a near 8 inches per mile squared?

"You can stretch it our as much as you want to but the same thing still applies."

This is you not understanding scale.  If you stretch this out, eventually those lines you drew will intersect the light house.

That is how scale works, and why it seems you don't understand it.
Forget your scale.
The tilt will always take your level view away from the object if you were on a globe.

Go and get your globe and try it.
Yeah I know I know....it's not to scale.

Are you happy with near 8 inches per mile squared or have you got another way to sort that?

Again, you dismiss scale as unimportant because you don't understand it.  Your not to scale drawings are absurdly wrong because of this.

I have created to-scale drawings of the Earth to demonstrate what the curve actually looks like and does.  It's quite possible to do so, the fact that you can't is just more evidence you don't really understand what scale is or how it works.

The tilt of objects on the surface of the Earth as it curves away from you is so small and tiny you can't see it.  We are talking about less than 1 degree tilting away from you.  Try and measure that at a distance of 3 miles.

As for your 8 inches per mile thing, what is your point?  It's an approximation, and a pretty good one at that at least until you start trying to use it for much longer distances. Then it becomes inaccurate and eventually the amount it diverges from reality jumps to infinity.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 10:41:39 AM »
The tilt of objects on the surface of the Earth as it curves away from you is so small and tiny you can't see it.  We are talking about less than 1 degree tilting away from you.  Try and measure that at a distance of 3 miles.
How about 30 miles?

Quote from: JJA
As for your 8 inches per mile thing, what is your point?  It's an approximation, and a pretty good one at that at least until you start trying to use it for much longer distances. Then it becomes inaccurate and eventually the amount it diverges from reality jumps to infinity.
How much longer distance?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 11:00:39 AM »
How about 30 miles?

4 degrees.

I can't imagine you could tell if a skyscraper 30 miles away was tilting 4 degrees in your direction even with a good telescope.

For short distances it's fine.  At 1000 miles it starts to diverge to the point the error makes it no longer viable.  Further than that the error gets bigger and bigger extremely quickly.

The blue line is the 8 inches per mile squared rule.  It eventually diverges from the circle pretty badly as you can see.

JackBlack

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »
The tilt will always take your level view away from the object if you were on a globe.
Only if you want to pretend that we magically see a single line with no FOV.

Again, back in reality, the difference in angle can be so small you wont tell.

Again, pretending scale doesn't matter just shows you have no idea what you are talking about or are just lying to everyone.

Now, again, care to address your idea of being able to tell that it is sloping backwards?
Which of the rods in the image I provided are tilting backwards?

Mikey T.

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2021, 02:35:01 PM »
This made me laugh, ty much my favorite moose.  I needed that, been a rough week for me irl. 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2021, 10:14:25 PM »
How about 30 miles?

4 degrees.

I can't imagine you could tell if a skyscraper 30 miles away was tilting 4 degrees in your direction even with a good telescope.

For short distances it's fine.  At 1000 miles it starts to diverge to the point the error makes it no longer viable.  Further than that the error gets bigger and bigger extremely quickly.

The blue line is the 8 inches per mile squared rule.  It eventually diverges from the circle pretty badly as you can see.

And the reason why you have the blue line, curved?

JackBlack

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2021, 11:09:15 PM »
Because it shows the 8 inches per mile squared.
It shows the approximation for the curvature of Earth, and it is compared to a circle representing Earth.

It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Just what did you expect that line to look like?

And again you refuse my simple request.
You claimed that the curvature of Earth should result in the light house being visibly tilted away.
I provided an image of 19 rods.
Can you identify which of these rods are vertical, which are tilted towards you and which are tilted away from you?
At least one of them is even tilted by 10 degrees, while the tilt you claim as "massively angled" is a mere 1.3 degrees, if he was claiming to see the lighthouse from Portsmouth.

So you should easily be able to spot the one at 10 degrees if you think 1.3 degrees will be noticable.
So which are vertical, which are tilted towards you and which are tilted away?

(And as an addendum, I later realised that I measured to the wrong location on the Island. It is actually a smaller angle as the distance should be smaller).

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2021, 12:12:24 AM »

This one question just shows your total inability to understand the most basic concepts. This is one of the reasons no-one takes you seriously.
Explain it then.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2021, 12:19:27 AM »
It shows the approximation for the curvature of Earth, and it is compared to a circle representing Earth.

No reason for a curved line.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2021, 12:33:59 AM »

This one question just shows your total inability to understand the most basic concepts. This is one of the reasons no-one takes you seriously.
Explain it then.

It baffles me why you're asking this question of all questions. I mean it's obvious that the point of the 8" per Mile approximation formula is to calculate the drop/curve on a Globe Earth. I mean why wouldn't it curve if that what it's trying to approximate, you know, a curve? Are you unfamiliar with the 8" per Mile approximation formula?

In any case, as has been mentioned by others, it's a handy back-of-the-envelope approximation that gets out of whack the farther out you're measuring. If you want the nuts and bolts as to why and how, Walter Bislin lays it out quite nicely with formulas, calculators and dynamic graphs. You can also check out some surveyor/geodesy sources that are exacting as well. From Bislin:

Eight Inches per Miles squared Formula Derivation
This formula is an approximation. It is commonly under- or overestinated how accurate this approximation is. Here I give the accuracy of the approximation and derive the exact formulas and the approximation 8" per miles squared and compare the results in a Calculator Form.

- The 8 inches per miles squared approximation function underestimates the correct value at distances less than 391.1 km or 243.1 mi, so at 391.1 km it is the most accurate.
- At 1 mi or 1.609 km its error is about −0.0314% and decreases to 0% at 391.1 km or 243.1 mi.
- On longer distances the error starts to increase again. At 799.9 km or 497.0 mi the error is about 0.1%. At 2234 km or 1388 mi the error is about 1% and then rapidly increasing.

http://walter.bislins.ch/bloge/index.asp?page=Eight+Inches+per+Miles+squared+Formula+Derivation

JackBlack

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2021, 12:49:47 AM »
Explain it then.

It shows the approximation for the curvature of Earth, and it is compared to a circle representing Earth.\

So do you really have no idea at all what you are talking about, or are you just trolling/knowingly spouting BS?

The reason is quite simple, the drop is 8 inches per mile squared.

i.e. to find the drop, take the distance, divide it by mile, square the result and then multiply it by 8 inches.
Or, to express it more correctly and as a simple formula: h=d^2/(2*R)

Notice the square part?
That is what makes the curve.

For a distance of 0 miles, the drop is 8*0^2 = 0 inches.
For a distance of 1 mile, the drop is 8*1^2 = 8 inches.
For a distance of 2 miles, the drop is 8*2^2 = 32 inches.
For a distance of 3 miles, the drop is 8*3^2 = 72 inches.

If you plot these (and the other numbers produced by the same formula) you will get a curve.

Now do you understand why the curve is there?

And again, which of the rods in the image I gave are vertical, which are leaning forwards and which are leaning backwards?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2021, 01:17:29 AM »

Explain it then.

It baffles me why you're asking this question of all questions. I mean it's obvious that the point of the 8" per Mile approximation formula is to calculate the drop/curve on a Globe Earth. I mean why wouldn't it curve if that what it's trying to approximate, you know, a curve? Are you unfamiliar with the 8" per Mile approximation formula?

In any case, as has been mentioned by others, it's a handy back-of-the-envelope approximation that gets out of whack the farther out you're measuring. If you want the nuts and bolts as to why and how, Walter Bislin lays it out quite nicely with formulas, calculators and dynamic graphs. You can also check out some surveyor/geodesy sources that are exacting as well. From Bislin:

This formula is an approximation. It is commonly under- or overestinated how accurate this approximation is. Here I give the accuracy of the approximation and derive the exact formulas and the approximation 8" per miles squared and compare the results in a Calculator Form.

- The 8 inches per miles squared approximation function underestimates the correct value at distances less than 391.1 km or 243.1 mi, so at 391.1 km it is the most accurate.
- At 1 mi or 1.609 km its error is about −0.0314% and decreases to 0% at 391.1 km or 243.1 mi.
- On longer distances the error starts to increase again. At 799.9 km or 497.0 mi the error is about 0.1%. At 2234 km or 1388 mi the error is about 1% and then rapidly increasing.

http://walter.bislins.ch/bloge/index.asp?page=Eight+Inches+per+Miles+squared+Formula+Derivation
You can see I'm not talking about the curved ball, I'm talking about the curved line use from it.
There's no reason for it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2021, 01:18:37 AM »

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2021, 01:37:59 AM »

Explain it then.

You can see I'm not talking about the curved ball, I'm talking about the curved line use from it.
There's no reason for it.

I know, you're talking about the blue line. I'm not sure why you are not getting the reason for it. It's been explained several times now. In short the 8" squared per mile approximation mathematically ultimately forms a parabola at distance, not a circle. It's really quite simple. But we are all well aware you have a distinct aversion to math.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2021, 02:11:52 AM »
Lines don't exist at all in reality and neither do curves. or blue.
Ok, fair enough.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2021, 02:13:50 AM »

I know, you're talking about the blue line. I'm not sure why you are not getting the reason for it. It's been explained several times now. In short the 8" squared per mile approximation mathematically ultimately forms a parabola at distance, not a circle. It's really quite simple. But we are all well aware you have a distinct aversion to math.
And what distance does it simply have a level line of sight?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2021, 11:54:30 AM »
How about 30 miles?

4 degrees.

Uh... because that's the formula plotted by "8 inches per mile squared".

I don't 'have' the line curved, that's what you get when you plot that equation.  The reason it curves is because that's how math works.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2021, 11:59:28 AM »

Look, it's just math.  8 inches per mile squared.  It makes a curve, what shape do you expect this formula to make?

x = 8 * y^2

Plot it yourself.  It plots a curving line.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/4oawr9rfty

Astounding. 

JackBlack

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2021, 12:11:45 PM »
The blue line is the 8 inches per mile squared approximation.
He is showing how this closely matches a circle (for the RE) at short distances, but goes off quite significantly for larger distances.
That is the reason for it.

Remember, you brought up the 8 inches per mile squared.

And again, can you tell me which of the rods in my diagram are leaning forwards, backwards or are upright?
If not, can you admit this angle you claim you should be able to see is irrelevant as you can't tell?

Mikey T.

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2021, 07:49:23 PM »
What is going on here?  I do not understand the confusion about the plotted blue line.  Am I missing something?  It was explained in the original post containing the plot.

Why would it go to level?  That's not how a parabola works.  I get that you do not trust math that doesn't agree with your claims but why would you intentionaly act this ridiculous.  I know it's an act because I've seen you able to string together and try to defend a theory, a very flawed and silly one, but you did it just the same without the act of not knowing how basic math or scale works. 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2021, 02:36:36 AM »

Look, it's just math.  8 inches per mile squared.  It makes a curve, what shape do you expect this formula to make?

x = 8 * y^2

Astounding.
The curve is under the line (your so called Earth) not the line itself, so why use it?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2021, 02:40:05 AM »
What is going on here?  I do not understand the confusion about the plotted blue line.  Am I missing something?  It was explained in the original post containing the plot.

Why would it go to level?  That's not how a parabola works.  I get that you do not trust math that doesn't agree with your claims but why would you intentionaly act this ridiculous.  I know it's an act because I've seen you able to string together and try to defend a theory, a very flawed and silly one, but you did it just the same without the act of not knowing how basic math or scale works.
Let me make myself clear.

If I set up a level sight or straight and level super long stick along your supposed globe, the stick will be above the ground straight away over a very small distance.
That stick then carries on in that straight line as the so called Earth curves under it.
Why should that stick suddenly create a parabola?

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2021, 02:48:33 AM »

Let me make myself clear.

If I set up a level sight or straight and level super long stick along your supposed globe, the stick will be above the ground straight away over a very small distance.
That stick then carries on in that straight line as the so called Earth curves under it.
Why should that stick suddenly create a parabola?

If it is strong stick, it shoudn't

It won't creare parabola

JackBlack

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2021, 03:05:58 AM »
The curve is under the line (your so called Earth) not the line itself, so why use it?
Again, YOU were the one who brought it up.
If you are just going to reject it, why bring it up in the first place?

If I set up a level sight
No one in this thread other than you is talking about a level sight.
Again, no one other than you thinks we magically only see a single line rather than having a FOV>

Now stop with the deflections.

Again, you claim it should be angled, so can you tell me which of the rods in my diagram are vertical, which are leaning back and which are leaning forwards?
If not, are you going to admit that angle is irrelavent?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2021, 03:55:42 AM »

x = 8 * y^2

Astounding.

You're going to need to explain yourself better, what exactly is your problem with the blue line?  Are you getting it confused with the blue line in the other thread?

It curves because the equation has an exponent.  If you plot an exponent it curves.  Ever hear of an 'exponential curve'?  That's it, the blue line.

I don't know how else to explain this to you.  It's a very simple plot. Just showing a circle vs your 8-mile-squared equation.

This is all basic math you should have been taught in school.  Did you never learn to plot an equation?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2021, 05:53:41 AM »

I don't 'have' the line curved, that's what you get when you plot that equation.  The reason it curves is because that's how math works.
There's no need for it....at all.

You're just plotting a graph.
We are simply talking about your Earth curving down and away from sight.
This means we only need to concentrate on that curve away and down, not a parabola over and away from it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2021, 05:56:35 AM »

x = 8 * y^2

Astounding.
Any graph will plot a curved line of you have a reason for it.
There's none with your Earth and it's also pointless.

What counts is the Earth itself, like I said.
If its a globe it will curve down and your sight will stay level through a scope centre. This means you will not see any distant light house because of that curve. But we do see them. Why?
Because the Earth is not a globe we walk upon....100%

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2021, 07:19:41 AM »

You're just plotting a graph.
We are simply talking about your Earth curving down and away from sight.
This means we only need to concentrate on that curve away and down, not a parabola over and away from it.

You were the one who ASKED ME about the 8 mile squared rule.  That plots a parabola.

If you didn't want to talk about it, WHY DID YOU ASK?   :o

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2021, 07:21:38 AM »

x = 8 * y^2

Astounding.
Any graph will plot a curved line of you have a reason for it.

Um, that's not how plotting or math works. Equations don't plot curves or not based on what you want them to do.

Your 8 inches per mile squared formula plots a curve, you can't make it do anything else!

There's none with your Earth and it's also pointless.

What counts is the Earth itself, like I said.
If its a globe it will curve down and your sight will stay level through a scope centre. This means you will not see any distant light house because of that curve. But we do see them. Why?
Because the Earth is not a globe we walk upon....100%

You and your level tubes.  I don't understand how you can be so obsessed with them yet never actually look through one to see if you are right.

Astounding.

JackBlack

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2021, 01:26:24 PM »
Then why bring it up, at all?

your sight will stay level through a scope centre.
NO ONE OTHER THAN YOU BROUGHT UP ANY LEVEL SCOPE!
Stop bringing it up when it has nothing to do with the topic, especially when you want to pretend we magically see in 1D with no FOV.

Back in reality, people have a FOV and can see things below and above level.

Now stop pretending Earth is a tiny ball, and deal with the actual issue.

What they saw is exactly what is expected for a RE.
The glow went past the horizon of the lighthouse and into the air and also hit the water making a glow. Then eventually you get close enough to see the light directly.

For a FE, you should be able to see the light directly, from any distance.