Just out of curiosity...

• 7 Replies

OTBL0829

• Blah blah blah
Just out of curiosity...
« on: April 24, 2021, 11:34:31 PM »
So I was looking at this flat earth map:

And, assuming this model was correct, I was wondering how one would fly from, for instance, Johannesburg SA to New York City, USA (these are just examples, you can sub in many different cities). The shortest and most practical route would be over the north pole, yet no flights ever pass over it. What they usually do is travel east from Johannesburg along with the curved lines and fly in what would appear to be a very large arc, passing over Guiana.

(yes, I know this is a globe earth model, but the route should be the same regardless of model)

So now I have 2 questions:

1. According to google maps, this travel would take around 22 hours. Now, on that flat earth model, using the same route, the trip would either have to take twice as long at normal speed or the plane would have to be travelling twice as fast. Do planes on that route get an extra speed boost or something? How are they able to make it in such short time? Additionally, are they equipped with and extra tank of gas, as a regular plane doesn't hold enough fuel for a trip of this length?

2. Why don't they just travel over the north pole? It would be much quicker, cheaper, and efficient.

P.S.

with a plane traveling along that intensely curved route, wouldn't the passengers be consistently dumped on their sides for the vast majority of the ride, seeing as in order for a plane to turn it must bank?

?

Jamie

• Retired
Re: Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 06:31:15 AM »
What you've identified is in fact problematic with a flat Earth model and it's commonly discussed.

FE'ers will tell you that the map isn't actually a map -- it's an artistic conception, a depiction of what a flat Earth may look like.

RE'ers will tell you what you just said -- the map doesn't work as intended and yet FE'ers have no alternative. The projected flight path is totally silly on a flat Earth and yet FE'ers have no justifications. That, and all projected flight paths work exactly as one would expect them to on a globe model.

That should tell us something.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:46:18 AM by Jamie »
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 06:53:09 AM »
Reminder that FE Q&A is strictly for Flat Earth questions and Flat Earth answers.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 08:17:18 AM »
If you can find a plane that takes the route non - stop, let us know. You could probably receive an answer.

OTBL0829

• Blah blah blah
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 11:17:14 AM »
If you can find a plane that takes the route non - stop, let us know. You could probably receive an answer.

There is, actually the example I posted is an actual plane route that does not make a stop, all the way from Johannesburg to NYC

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 08:59:51 PM »
is this an accurate map of Earth? I had no idea that Australia was so much farther across than the United States! it looks like double the width!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 03:26:13 AM »

There is, actually the example I posted is an actual plane route that does not make a stop, all the way from Johannesburg to NYC
Sorry, you are correct.

I did find claims of non-stop.

But your time reference is way off.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 03:55:48 AM by WISHTOLAUGH »

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 09:45:52 PM »
1. According to google maps, this travel would take around 22 hours. Now, on that flat earth model, using the same route, the trip would either have to take twice as long at normal speed or the plane would have to be travelling twice as fast.

*Citation needed.

2. Why don't they just travel over the north pole? It would be much quicker, cheaper, and efficient.
Are you capable of identifying anywhere on any sort of map?

with a plane traveling along that intensely curved route, wouldn't the passengers be consistently dumped on their sides for the vast majority of the ride, seeing as in order for a plane to turn it must bank?
Flying does not work that way.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."