Air Fryer

• 35 Replies

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
Air Fryer
« on: January 28, 2021, 03:56:55 PM »
A must buy? Or pass?

Post your thoughts
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Air Fryer
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 04:19:30 PM »
I have one, and the only thing I can figure they're good for is cooking frozen french fries, and reheating leftover fried food. Mine is one of those small egg shaped ones, maybe there are better ones that you can actually cook with that browns food. idk
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 05:00:04 PM »
I have one, and the only thing I can figure they're good for is cooking frozen french fries, and reheating leftover fried food. Mine is one of those small egg shaped ones, maybe there are better ones that you can actually cook with that browns food. idk

See this is what I thought was the deal, I hear all these great stories about them, from people that dont own them, but have a friend that does.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 05:10:57 PM »
I could be wrong but depending on your needs, I'm thinking that a convection toaster oven might be a better deal.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 09:19:40 PM »
They are glorified (and usually cheaply made and overpriced) convection ovens.

Things do not crisp crowded, especially when they are outgassing water vapor/steam.

Bigger = better, more racks = better.

The more separation you can achieve between the things you are cooking, the better the result.  The "ninja" ones all expect you to stand in front of the thing and "shake" it constantly to futilely/unsuccessfully try and separate to cook evenly and actually crisp things, and they have the capacity of a handful of fries when properly spaced.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 09:37:48 PM »
A must buy? Or pass?

Post your thoughts
We had a deep fat fryer. My wife decided to buy an air fryer. Not expensive.
It is absolutely excellent and so good that I've got rid of the fryer, never to be used again.

I can't fault them.

Certain things require a par boil before using in them, like freshly made chips but other than that it's a massive thumbs up from me.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 09:38:27 PM »
Trust me, there is.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 10:10:33 PM »
They are glorified (and usually cheaply made and overpriced) convection ovens.

Things do not crisp crowded, especially when they are outgassing water vapor/steam.

Bigger = better, more racks = better.

The more separation you can achieve between the things you are cooking, the better the result.  The "ninja" ones all expect you to stand in front of the thing and "shake" it constantly to futilely/unsuccessfully try and separate to cook evenly and actually crisp things, and they have the capacity of a handful of fries when properly spaced.
I agree with the separation.
The thing is they are fantastic as long as you don't overload.
I've just asked my wife what rating she would give ours and she said 10/10.

And ours is not a ninja or any of the expensive ones. I think it cost us £39 out of ASDA.

The make is a George home, I think. She's looking at the name on it and there isn't one on it.

I'll try and get a picture.

It's very similar to this.
This one is more expensive than the one we bought. I can't seem to find the one we bought but it is very close to the one in this link.

https://direct.asda.com/george/home/cooking-appliances/black-62l-air-fryer/050118373,default,pd.html

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 02:05:57 AM »
A must buy? Or pass?

Post your thoughts
It is absolutely excellent and so good that I've got rid of the fryer, never to be used again.

I can't fault them.

Certain things require a par boil before using in them, like freshly made chips but other than that it's a massive thumbs up from me.
We have a deep frat fryer, but it's literally just used for making chips to accompany steaks.  You reckon the chips are just as good out of an air fryer then?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 02:56:36 AM »
Another fancy gizmo you dont need that will probably end up sitting unused in the cupboard after a week. Save your money

Just remember, no matter how much you spend or well food is prepared, it always comes out the other end looking like crap :P

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 05:57:57 AM »
Another fancy gizmo you dont need that will probably end up sitting unused in the cupboard after a week. Save your money

Just remember, no matter how much you spend or well food is prepared, it always comes out the other end looking like crap :P
More curious than anything - though my deep fat fryer does make a stink.  Love having homemade steak and chips though.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 06:52:26 AM »
A must buy? Or pass?

Post your thoughts

I can't fault them.

We have a deep frat fryer, but it's literally just used for making chips to accompany steaks.  You reckon the chips are just as good out of an air fryer then?
The chips can be better in an air fryer but, like I said; if you are doing fresh chips then you need to parboil them.
It's all about preference of whether you like oil coated chips or with minimal oil to no oil, depending.

It's personal choice but for me it's much cleaner and there's no rifting, which happens with me at times if I have fried stuff, whether it's in the house or from the chippy...etc.

Once you get the hang of using one it's a massive change.

But, each to their own.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 12:19:01 PM »
I have one, use it almost every day, mostly for air frying bread which is delicious. Great for doing beige freezer food, not as good as I hoped for doing roast vegetables but I have't tried in a while. I have one that you can sit a chicken upright in and it spins round to do kinda rotisserie chicken but I've only done that a couple of times. Excellent for reheating pizza.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »
I'm conflicted now, I have an Instapot, was thinking of getting the attachment for it, but sounds like that is a baaaad idea.

Overall the opinion seems to be pretty positive, I might have to get one now just to experiment with it.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 07:05:33 PM »
I got one and it's honestly mainly used to reheat food. It does make pretty much everything reheat really well though.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 08:29:25 PM »
I'm taking pre-orders for my new IceBoiler.   ::)

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 12:17:37 AM »
The larger convection/toaster ovens (that have an air fryer setting) are amazing. I had to replace an ancient toaster oven, was curious about air fryers, and the Cuisinart TOA-60 not only replaced the toaster oven, but I hardly now ever use my standard oven. Fries (chips) made from raw potatoes come out wonderfully brown and crispy in about 25 minutes - I've never parboiled them. Toast is preternaturally uniform. Chicken thighs roast/fry amazingly. Small casseroles, roasted veggies, small batches of cookies - all come our great. But the reason is it's got room for stuff to cook - the tray/rack size is 12" x 10". I can't imagine those little upright ones with a 5-6" diameter basket are good for anything other than crisping up a half dozen frozen chicken nuggets.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 04:48:40 AM »
Air fryers are amazing.

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 06:32:21 AM »
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 07:58:45 AM »

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 03:08:23 PM »
The larger convection/toaster ovens (that have an air fryer setting) are amazing. I had to replace an ancient toaster oven, was curious about air fryers, and the Cuisinart TOA-60 not only replaced the toaster oven, but I hardly now ever use my standard oven. Fries (chips) made from raw potatoes come out wonderfully brown and crispy in about 25 minutes - I've never parboiled them. Toast is preternaturally uniform. Chicken thighs roast/fry amazingly. Small casseroles, roasted veggies, small batches of cookies - all come our great. But the reason is it's got room for stuff to cook - the tray/rack size is 12" x 10". I can't imagine those little upright ones with a 5-6" diameter basket are good for anything other than crisping up a half dozen frozen chicken nuggets.

I didnt even know that they got this big.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 09:33:13 PM »

JJA

• Math is math!

?

Jamie

• Retired
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 10:18:14 PM »

I didnt even know that they got this big.
It all depends on how you stroke it. You're learning though.  ;)

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 11:20:59 PM »
We got a ninja - air fryer/pressure cooker. Just did bry beans in 35 mins in the pressure cooker. Sorry no xperience with the air fryer.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Lemmiwinks

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.