The attack on 'free speech'

• 103 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: The attack on 'free speech'
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2021, 11:01:15 AM »
Isn't that exactly what I have been saying? 
That depends on whether you're saying that YouTube unilaterally demonetizes the video or that advertisers opt out of monetizing the video.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2021, 11:17:43 AM »
Isn't that exactly what I have been saying? 
That depends on whether you're saying that YouTube unilaterally demonetizes the video or that advertisers opt out of monetizing the video.

Both can happen.  An advertiser might decide to pull their ads from a channel if they get bad press, even outside YouTube.  If some teen influencer gets a DUI, you can be sure Fischer Price is going to pull their advertising from their YouTube channel regardless of the content of the videos.

In general they can also specify their ads to run on, or not run on specific categories.

This is where it gets wacked, as most of the categories are either picked by the video maker or by a computer.  And if they are wrong... not much anyone can really do.  It's a mess but what do you do with a billion people posting videos?  I'm glad I don't have to be in charge of that hot mess.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2021, 06:49:08 PM »
I do t know what’s going on here. Anyway, recent events should have reminded people here in the US that the first amendment only applies to the government. Companies are free to do what they want as long as it doesn’t violate any laws.

We haven't been talking about the 1st amendment. We've been talking about the tech oligarchy controlling speech on the internet.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2021, 11:44:20 AM »
There is an excellent interview with Joe Rogan and Ira Glasser from the aclu regarding all of this. Too bad it's behind Spotify now.

A few interesting things came up. Ira Glasser believes trump might be criminally liable for incitement.

Also, there's the idea of how the concept of net neutrality would apply to not only the consumer end of the internet but also the business end of the internet. Specifically Amazon's servers. Maybe if we did a push for net neutrality then web servers should be a part of that.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2021, 12:06:10 PM »
I watched two clips from that one on youtube this morning. I made a spotify acct so I could watch JRE (and a couple others) but I never remember to look at spotify.

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2021, 12:36:24 PM »
Whatever Trump gets charged with can't he just take it to the stacked supreme court where his buddies owe him a solid?

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2021, 01:19:09 PM »
I think JJA needs to link us to his youtube channel
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2021, 01:30:03 PM »

Yeah JJA we'll give you some extra views so you can make a few extra dollars 8)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2021, 01:45:59 PM »

Yeah JJA we'll give you some extra views so you can make a few extra dollars 8)

I don't need the extra 8 views that would get.

I certainly don't want to hand out any personal information to a web site where I have...

1. Been told me if they knew where I lived, they would come beat me up.

2. Had a user express a desire to waterboard me.

3. Seen multiple death threats issued, one of which was directed at me.

4. Saw a user discussing the harassment of an innocent person through email and possibly a visit.

5. Where I angerly ranted and yelled at people and often behaved badly on the assumption that I am anonymous and don't need to worry about the shame of it all. :)

So yeah, that's fine. I'm doing ok without the support of the Flat Earth movement. Maybe you should plug Hewia. I hear he has a web page where you can read all about it. Tom has one too, that I need to familiarize myself with apparently. I'm sure both could use the views more than me.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2021, 03:27:46 PM »
Whatever Trump gets charged with can't he just take it to the stacked supreme court where his buddies owe him a solid?

No, that's now how our court system works. If Trump is charged with a crime he'd have to lose in the lower courts first, then it would move up to a higher court, then he'd have to lose his case again, and appeal again (not sure exactly how it climbs up the courts), then after all that, the SC can decline to hear the case and send it back down. I doubt he'd do that, he would probably plead guilty to something and get off with a fine.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2021, 05:55:03 PM »
The problem isn't free speech,  it's propaganda,  lies spread like viruses through social media.  I don't think you can put the genie back in the bottle.  We have to learn to live in a world where we are constantly bombarded with disinformation.

Censorship won't work in the long run,  it will be seen as giving credence to conspiracy theories.  "What are they hiding" type conspiracies.

I'm of the opinion that, it's ultimately education and teaching critical thinking is the only solution?

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2021, 05:25:24 AM »
I'm of the opinion that, it's ultimately education and teaching critical thinking is the only solution?

Yup yup. The American education system is fairly pitiful. But it's trending the right way, I think.
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2021, 07:05:43 AM »

Yup yup. The American education system is fairly pitiful. But it's trending the right way, I think.

I haven't noticed an improvement in the trend, I think it's getting worse. We'll have to get through the critical theory phase before critical thinking can make a comeback.

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2021, 07:20:36 AM »
In theory (no pun intended), critical theory should promote critical thinking. Really it's just a bunch-a doomer college students bashing capitalism. Y'know, the same capitalism that props up their "safe space" university and allows them to own the iPhones they Tweet against capitalism on... I digress.

I think education has trended the right way for a few reasons, like:

1) An increased availability and use of technology in classrooms (e.g. one-one schools).

2) A transition from emphasizing students with disabilities to students of all abilities (i.e. RTI model).

3) A more ongoing, diverse approach to the professional development of teachers (e.g. being sensitive to trauma, handling behavioral issues more effectively, etc.).

Education will never be perfect, and its improvement isn't exactly a linear process, but I do think there are improvements being made.
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2021, 08:02:22 AM »
I hope you're right, I'm afraid there's going to be some serious batshittery with the Democrats in charge.

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2021, 09:10:59 AM »
I just hope that in the next two years, shit gets done. That's the major benefit of having a unified government.

Of course I worry about some of the shit some of them want to get done, like the Green New Deal. But I'm hopeful for other things, like vaccine distribution for COVID, the federal decriminalization of marijuana, and supporting nuclear power.

It's gonna be a mixed bag as per usual. I disagree more often with Democrats than I do Republicans. I'm glad Biden, who's fairly moderate, is the one who snagged the nomination and won.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2021, 09:41:16 AM »
Democrats have the disadvantage of being an extremely diverse party with a large number of differing priorities and beliefs.

There isn't a simple rallying cry that everyone can get behind like "lower taxes!" and "more guns!"

No matter what the Democrats do, there will be a good number of unhappy voters.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2021, 12:08:42 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/17/tech/fcc-radio-extremist-social-media-attack/index.html

New York (CNN Business)The US government is warning that groups could rely on radio equipment as an alternative to social media to plan future criminal activities.
In a stark warning Sunday, the Federal Communications Commission's enforcement bureau said people coordinating or conducting criminal activity over radio waves are breaking the law.
"The Bureau has become aware of discussions on social media platforms suggesting that certain radio services regulated by the Commission may be an alternative to social media platforms for groups to communicate and coordinate future activities," the FCC said in its warning Sunday. "Individuals using radios in the Amateur or Personal Radio Services in this manner may be subject to severe penalties, including significant fines, seizure of the offending equipment, and, in some cases, criminal prosecution."

Maybe they should have let them stay on Parler. Probably easier to keep an eye on them!

Lorddave

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2021, 12:36:48 PM »
Education helps but its not the answer.  Remember when we thought that access to knowledge (like libraries) would enable people to make better, more well informed desicions? 

The problem is a human problem.  People are naturally bias and emotionally attached issues destroy any logic they may have used.  This is not an issue that will be solved by education or legislation.  Maybe a massive cultural shift towards the "vulcan" model but that seems highly unlikely.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2021, 12:41:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was G.W. that gave us the gift of No Child Left Behind, so let's not get too hasty is bashing the lefties for weird ideas in how to run the education system.

We need to empower good teachers to exercise their discretion and talent to best cater to the learning abilities of their students. And if someone sucks at their job, they should be let go, rather than trying to overregulate the profession. There are lots of really great teachers, and they have a very unique way of connecting with and engaging their students to get the best out of them when they aren't being micromanaged. For most, that's why they chose that career path.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2021, 01:05:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/4writers/status/1353705321601105926?s=20

The Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency was distressed to discover this morning, January 25th, that one of our agents has been using the social media platforms Gab and Parler. We do not condone this activity, and we apologize to anyone who has been affected or offended by this.

The Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency has in the past and will continue to ensure a voice of unity, equality, and one that is on the side of social justice.

As of this morning, Colleen Oefelein is no longer an agent at The Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency.

https://twitter.com/eerie_o/status/1353724749269004288?s=20

Well thanks Twitter and @JDLitAgency. I just got fired because I’m a Christian and a conservative.

We must purge the wrongthinkers!

Lorddave

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2021, 02:07:04 PM »

The Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency was distressed to discover this morning, January 25th, that one of our agents has been using the social media platforms Gab and Parler. We do not condone this activity, and we apologize to anyone who has been affected or offended by this.

The Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency has in the past and will continue to ensure a voice of unity, equality, and one that is on the side of social justice.

As of this morning, Colleen Oefelein is no longer an agent at The Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency.

Well thanks Twitter and @JDLitAgency. I just got fired because I’m a Christian and a conservative.

Thats what she thinks. But its more likely she associated with groups and platforms that were basically full of racist, traitorous people.  And America has few labor protection laws sooo....sucks to be her.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2021, 03:05:17 PM »

Thats what she thinks. But its more likely she associated with groups and platforms that were basically full of racist, traitorous people.  And America has few labor protection laws sooo....sucks to be her.

The ironic thing is we don't have laws that would have protected her... because of her support for conservative lawmakers who dismantled them.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2021, 03:08:42 PM »
Based on her twitter timeline, I seriously doubt she was posting anything weird on Parler or Gab.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2021, 08:23:41 AM »
She was fired because she has accts on those platforms, not because of what she posted on those platforms. https://twitter.com/thomaschattwill/status/1354198467543969794?s=20

Lorddave

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2021, 08:46:34 AM »
She was fired because she has accts on those platforms, not because of what she posted on those platforms. https://twitter.com/thomaschattwill/status/1354198467543969794?s=20

Fair enough.  Thats pretty bad and happens alot.  Public image means alot.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2021, 06:30:23 PM »
This is interesting. I knew they were promoting mainstream media, because I don't follow any of them and they're always in my recommends. I didn't know they were hiding independents and also just taking them down arbitrarily https://taibbi.substack.com/p/meet-the-censored-live-streamers 

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2021, 10:02:04 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/19/apple-reinstates-parler-app-store-483088

Oh look.  Parler is back.  Curiously Donald Trump is not on it.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2021, 11:59:27 AM »
There are some mad twitterers today. They are fine using Twitter and Facebook, where a lot of the planning occurred.

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2021, 02:08:50 PM »
Aren't they now in competition with that pillow guy nutter?  His "censorship free" platform where you can't even take the lord's name in vain?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.