SolarWinds Russian Hack - is it reasonable to believe it is real?

• 38 Replies

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
Re: SolarWinds Russian Hack - is it reasonable to believe it is real?
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2020, 12:23:12 PM »
It takes someone ignorant of the definition of "ignorant" to claim that publishing a paper on a particular topic would make them less ignorant about a completely unrelated topic. Or... a troll that shouldn't be fed. Hmm. I must think on this. What could it be?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2020, 01:59:51 PM »
Quote from: Shifter
it's clearly logical that a brutal authoritarian government like Chinas would never lie
Yes, because why would it lie? What incentive does it have to lie? It is not under the threat of being thrown off by its citizens, it is too powerful for that to happen.
Quote from: Shifter
Next thing you'll tell us that there are no gulags in North Korea because Kim Jong Un said so
Well, I see no reason to think life in North Korea is nearly as bad as the western media present it to be.

You must be trolling, because no one in their right mind would make such statements. In any case, for the record, what incentive does a Government have to lie? You seriously can't think of an incentive for, in this example, the Chinese government to lie about sending thousands of troops, dozens of tanks and armored vehicles into Tiananmen Square and the surrounding neighborhoods and gunning down and running over protesters and then lying about it? Not one incentive to do so? Seriously? Think really hard on this.

Secondly, it's not just "Western Media" that presents things. I've seen and read plenty of non-Media accounts of life inside the hermit kingdom. There are myriad NGO's, the UN, that have been reporting on the human rights issues for decades, probably most notably the food shortages and famine in the 90's, hell, even weather channels reported on it due to the droughts and floods during that era that were in part responsible.

You're studying to be a linguist of sorts if I remember correctly? Doesn't that require some sense of logic? Perhaps even taking a wide view of things? Why are you exhibiting zero logic coupled with such narrow thinking?

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2020, 03:36:38 AM »
Quote from: Stash
You seriously can't think of an incentive for, in this example, the Chinese government to lie about sending thousands of troops, dozens of tanks and armored vehicles into Tiananmen Square and the surrounding neighborhoods and gunning down and running over protesters and then lying about it?
I can only think of incentives not to do something like that. Governments want their citizens to trust them, right? If so, why would making obvious lies about a massacre be a rational thing to do?
probably most notably the food shortages and famine in the 90's
There was a food shortage in Croatia as well back in the 1990s. Yet, today, Croatia is one of the best countries in the world to live in. So, this tells us nothing about what life in North Korea is like now.
You're studying to be a linguist of sorts if I remember correctly?
No, I am a 3rd-year computer science student. But I have published some papers about linguistics, about my alternative interpretation of the names of places in Croatia.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.
This is my parody of the conspiracy theorists:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71184.0
This is my attempt to refute the Flat-Earth theory:

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2020, 05:05:48 AM »
No, I am a 3rd-year computer science student. But I have published some papers about linguistics, about my alternative interpretation of the names of places in Croatia.

Is this some kind of appeal to authority?

I wrote a paper for class at my university and my professor gave me an A so I am an expert in all things?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2020, 05:11:31 AM »

This guy sounds just like how Heiwa writes. "No. Blah blah conspiracy blah, check out my website"

Heiwa alt detected!

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »

I wrote a paper for class at my university and my professor gave me an A so I am an expert in all things?
Writing a paper published in a peer-reviewed journal takes far more effort than writing a paper for a class at a university, even if you get an A at it. I am not claiming I am an expert in all things. But, since I have published some papers about onomastics (a part of linguistics dealing with names)... I can evaluate the linguistic evidence for those massacres being false, that is, the ironic meanings in names. Varivode means "cooked meat" in Croatian... that the victims of the massacre were turned into? Hmm... And Tiananmen means "gate to heaven"... where the victims of the massacre were sent? Hmm...
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2020, 10:55:22 AM »

Writing a paper published in a peer-reviewed journal takes far more effort than writing a paper for a class at a university, even if you get an A at it. I am not claiming I am an expert in all things. But, since I have published some papers about onomastics (a part of linguistics dealing with names)... I can evaluate the linguistic evidence for those massacres being false, that is, the ironic meanings in names. Varivode means "cooked meat" in Croatian... that the victims of the massacre were turned into? Hmm... And Tiananmen can be read as "gate to heaven"... where the victims of the massacre were sent? Hmm...

Yes you are claiming just that.  Saying because you wrote a paper about linguistics, you can determine that massacres around the world are all fake is claiming you are an expert on everything, as the two are not even closely related.

And submitting a paper you wrote in class to your schools journal is in no way equivalent to publishing it in a known and respected scientific journal after a through peer review.

I'm sorry you have such a tough time accepting that bad things happened in your own country. That's something you need to work out on your own, but don't expect anyone else to believe the lies you tell yourself.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2020, 11:15:41 AM »

Writing a paper published in a peer-reviewed journal takes far more effort than writing a paper for a class at a university, even if you get an A at it. I am not claiming I am an expert in all things. But, since I have published some papers about onomastics (a part of linguistics dealing with names)... I can evaluate the linguistic evidence for those massacres being false, that is, the ironic meanings in names. Varivode means "cooked meat" in Croatian... that the victims of the massacre were turned into? Hmm... And Tiananmen can be read as "gate to heaven"... where the victims of the massacre were sent? Hmm...

Yes you are claiming just that.  Saying because you wrote a paper about linguistics, you can determine that massacres around the world are all fake is claiming you are an expert on everything, as the two are not even closely related.

And submitting a paper you wrote in class to your schools journal is in no way equivalent to publishing it in a known and respected scientific journal after a through peer review.

I'm sorry you have such a tough time accepting that bad things happened in your own country. That's something you need to work out on your own, but don't expect anyone else to believe the lies you tell yourself.
You know, we have gotten very far off-topic here. You claimed antivirus software don't try to discover any novel malware, but only look for known malware, right? But if so, how do you explain false positives? Why was the compiler for my programming language once misdetected as malware by Windows Defender?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2020, 12:02:27 PM »
You know, we have gotten very far off-topic here. You claimed antivirus software don't try to discover any novel malware, but only look for known malware, right? But if so, how do you explain false positives? Why was the compiler for my programming language once misdetected as malware by Windows Defender?

You didn't read my post very carefully, or you didn't understand it. 

I said it also looks for code snippets that are 'suspicious' and that's where false positives come from. It's just simple checking for function calls and system routines commonly used for attacks but not often used in normal code.

Your code matched some signature, simple as that.