SolarWinds Russian Hack - is it reasonable to believe it is real?

• 38 Replies

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
As most of you probably know, American media is reporting about some Russian hackers having hacked the SolarWinds servers and inserted a spyware in some of the SolarWinds most popular programs, and no antivirus program detected that spyware for almost a year. Do you think it is true?

As a third year computer science student, such a story sounds rather implausible to me. I mean, those supposed Russian hackers would need to be more skilled than programmers in Microsoft, Google, Motorola or Mozilla.
To Microsoft, it has occurred a few times that their innocent programs get misdetected as malware. In April 2010, McAfee misdetected SVCHOST from Windows XP SP3 as malware, leaving perhaps around a hundred thousand machines unable to boot. In December 2010, AVG misdetected CSRSS from 64-bit Windows 7 as malware, also leaving many machines unable to boot. And there have been a few other such cases, though not as devastating. To Google, it has occurred a few times that BoringSSL (part of Chrome that ciphers HTTPS traffic) gets misdetected as ransomware, leaving a large part of the Internet ciphered using flawed algorithms. To Motorola, it has occurred that their Bluetooth drivers get misdetected as malware. To Mozilla, it has occurred many times that SpiderMonkey (the JavaScript engine of the Firefox browser, using some advanced JIT-compilation techniques) gets misdetected as a virus (because AVs think it is self-replicating code).
So, if the programmers working at Microsoft, Google, Motorola and Mozilla have trouble making innocent programs that does not get detected by some antivirus software as malware, is not it kind of absurd to claim there are Russian hackers who can make actual malware that does that? It is obviously incredibly hard to make a good JavaScript engine that won't be detected as malware by some AV (since not even Mozilla can do it), so it must be significantly harder to make actual malware that won't be detected as malware by any AV, right?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.
This is my parody of the conspiracy theorists:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71184.0
This is my attempt to refute the Flat-Earth theory:

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: SolarWinds Russian Hack - is it reasonable to believe it is real?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »
Serious question, do you have a mental disability?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 01:05:40 PM »
As a programmer I can tell you that yes, it's very reasonable to believe it is real.

Programming isn't like developing nuclear weapons. You can learn it yourself easily enough, and avoiding detection by antivirus software is as simple as not letting them get a copy to add to their database.

Antivirus software simply looks for copies of known viruses, and some basic checking for 'suspicious' code which again, is just snippets of commonly used code.  It's trivial to avoid them.

It's not trivial to avoid baseless conspiracy theories though. Too bad.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 03:32:03 PM »
You can buy 0-day exploits for all sorts of very popular and widely-distributed software if you're willing to cough up the coin. That's you, as an individual. Nation-states have the resources to not only mine for those 0-days themselves, but hoard them instead of selling them, so they can use them at a time when it will be most advantageous.

Danang

• Everything will be "Phew" in its time :')
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 08:34:50 PM »
To delete viruses, just do it manually.
Antivirus software is like a globe. Only DRAMA. ^_^
• South Pole Centered FE Map AKA Phew FE Map
• Downwards Universal Deceleration.

Phew's Silicon Valley: https://gwebanget.home.blog/

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 10:14:52 AM »
To delete viruses, just do it manually.
That presumes that that the files and registry entries that need to be deleted are easy to determine.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 10:31:00 AM »
blah blah blah rambling nonsense

How do you come up with these obscure and pointless thoughts? Seriously.  :o

Yes it is reasonable to believe they hack America's stuff. Ruski's are the devil. There is probably one under your bed.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 03:41:36 AM »
Serious question, do you have a mental disability?
Well, when I was 9 years old, I had my IQ tested and it was 75. So, it is possible. But, then, when I was 11, I had my IQ tested again, and it was 125. Overall, I don't think it is probable that I have a mental disability, as I haven't noticed I learn less easily than other people do.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 03:59:34 AM »
As a programmer I can tell you that yes, it's very reasonable to believe it is real.

Programming isn't like developing nuclear weapons. You can learn it yourself easily enough, and avoiding detection by antivirus software is as simple as not letting them get a copy to add to their database.

Antivirus software simply looks for copies of known viruses, and some basic checking for 'suspicious' code which again, is just snippets of commonly used code.  It's trivial to avoid them.

It's not trivial to avoid baseless conspiracy theories though. Too bad.
Antivirus programs clearly try very hard to detect novel malware, even at the price of problematic false positives (whose results are sometimes as damaging as those of actual malware). Why was the compiler for my programming language once flagged as malware by Windows Defender? Heuristic algorithms, detecting any program that behaves oddly (not necessarily one that uses known exploits).
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 04:00:47 AM »
Says somebody who is a "Flat Earth Believer"...
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 04:37:53 AM »

You're hardly in a position to call others out on what they believe or ponder.... I mean, look at some of the nonsense you've posted here such as your assertion that the Tienanmen square massacre never actually happened. You're probably a holocaust denying fruitcake too.

So check yourself for your own cooky beliefs before you think you can 'gotcha' others. You only embarrass yourself

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 10:32:11 PM »
I uneducatedly thought it was true, but believe they are lying to us about oh so much, that if you say it is not true i will probably believe you.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 02:03:37 AM »

You're hardly in a position to call others out on what they believe or ponder.... I mean, look at some of the nonsense you've posted here such as your assertion that the Tienanmen square massacre never actually happened. You're probably a holocaust denying fruitcake too.

So check yourself for your own cooky beliefs before you think you can 'gotcha' others. You only embarrass yourself
Why would I be denying the Holocaust because I am denying the Tiananmen Square Massacre? Those things are opposites. The far left denies the Tiananmen Square Massacre, while the far right denies the Holocaust. Besides, there is far less evidence of the Tiananmen Square Massacre than of the Holocaust.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 02:32:26 AM »

Why would I be denying the Holocaust because I am denying the Tiananmen Square Massacre? Those things are opposites. The far left denies the Tiananmen Square Massacre, while the far right denies the Holocaust. Besides, there is far less evidence of the Tiananmen Square Massacre than of the Holocaust.

Ummm, there's plenty of evidence of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. I just watched a couple of news reports from June 4th, 1989, a bloody mess, literally.

And who is this "far left" you speak of that denies the TS massacre?

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 04:58:16 AM »

Ummm, there's plenty of evidence of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. I just watched a couple of news reports from June 4th, 1989, a bloody mess, literally.

So what if there is "evidence" of Tiananmen Square Massacre? There is also "evidence" that the Earth is flat. The best source of information about politics are governments, and the Chinese government is denying Tiananmen Square Massacre. If the evidence that exists is not enough to convince the Chinese government to believe in the extraordinary claim of Tiananmen Square Massacre, it should not be enough to convince us (who have far less expertise on Chinese politics and recent Chinese history) either.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 05:16:42 AM »
So what if there is "evidence" of Tiananmen Square Massacre? There is also "evidence" that the Earth is flat. The best source of information about politics are governments, and the Chinese government is denying Tiananmen Square Massacre. If the evidence that exists is not enough to convince the Chinese government to believe in the extraordinary claim of Tiananmen Square Massacre, it should not be enough to convince us (who have far less expertise on Chinese politics and recent Chinese history) either.

What is wrong with you?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 05:26:35 AM »

Wow. Out of all the people on this forum you'd have to be the biggest fruit loop. And this forum has flat earthers. And Heiwa.

Yet somehow, you take the cake at being the biggest fruit.

A fruit cake.

And with that, I bid you a Merry Christmas. I hear fruit cakes are eaten on Christmas. Have your cake and eat it too

Know your place

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 11:09:41 AM »

What is wrong with you?
Why would something have to be wrong with me, I don't see it? Though, my parents have taken me to a psychiatrist a few months ago and he diagnozed me a mild depression.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 11:39:56 AM »

Governments are the best source? The Chinese Government is the best source??? Are you high?

The evidence I was looking at was shot by people there, including Western journalists. No governments involved. It showed the shootings into crowds of protesters, the running over of protesters by military vehicles. The carting away of bloodied protesters, on and on. How is this an "extraordinary claim"?

What in the world is wrong with you that you need to make up entire false narratives? Why deny something that is refuted immediately with just a few keystrokes? What inner voice are you trying to satisfy?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »

What is wrong with you?
Why would something have to be wrong with me, I don't see it? Though, my parents have taken me to a psychiatrist a few months ago and he diagnozed me a mild depression.

Tell them you think the Tiananmen Square Massacre didn't happen because China said so, and they would know.

They can explain it better than I could.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 04:15:03 AM »
What is wrong with you?

Tell them you think the Tiananmen Square Massacre didn't happen because China said so, and they would know.

Most Croatians (where I live) think Varivode Massacre did not happen because the Croatian government is denying it. I am just taking that a step further. I do not know why that would be insane.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 04:32:27 AM »
What is wrong with you?

Most Croatians (where I live) think Varivode Massacre did not happen because the Croatian government is denying it. I am just taking that a step further. I do not know why that would be insane.

Thinking that all you are doing is 'taking that a step further' is a normal and logical way to think is what makes it insane.

The fact that you can't recognize your own issues isn't surprising. If you could, you wouldn't be so confused.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 05:15:37 AM »
What is wrong with you?

Thinking that all you are doing is 'taking that a step further' is a normal and logical way to think is what makes it insane.

The fact that you can't recognize your own issues isn't surprising. If you could, you wouldn't be so confused.
I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean that I am not simply "taking it a step further", but doing something very different? Or do you think most Croatians are wrong to deny Varivode Massacre, and that it is insane to take that denial a step further?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 05:53:30 AM »
What is wrong with you?

I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean that I am not simply "taking it a step further", but doing something very different? Or do you think most Croatians are wrong to deny Varivode Massacre, and that it is insane to take that denial a step further?

Of course it's wrong to deny bad things just because they make you uncomfortable.  Of course it's natural to want to, I don't like things my country did but it's wrong to simply deny they ever happened.

What's worse is taking it a step further and denying it happened elsewhere because you can't handle the idea that if it happened somewhere else, it might have happened in your country too.

It's no fun to face unpleasant facts, but running away from them is no solution.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 06:25:26 AM »
What is wrong with you?

Oh yeah. The Croad government denied a claim so that has to be true ::) and by extension it's clearly logical that a brutal authoritarian government like Chinas would never lie ::)

It's your wilful ignorance of crap like this that enables this brutality and human rights abuses to go on.

Next thing you'll tell us that there are no gulags in North Korea because Kim Jong Un said so ::)

Like I said, out of all the people on this forum, you have the weirdest beliefs

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2020, 08:16:22 AM »
What is wrong with you?

So your "taking it a step further" is that because a Government denies something occurred that the Government must be believed. And therefore all Governments that deny something occurred must be believed? If so, yes, that would be a clear sign of not just insanity, but downright ignorance.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2020, 10:37:37 AM »
Quote from: Shifter
it's clearly logical that a brutal authoritarian government like Chinas would never lie
Yes, because why would it lie? What incentive does it have to lie? It is not under the threat of being thrown off by its citizens, it is too powerful for that to happen.
Next thing you'll tell us that there are no gulags in North Korea because Kim Jong Un said so
Well, I see no reason to think life in North Korea is nearly as bad as the western media present it to be.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »
it's clearly logical that a brutal authoritarian government like Chinas would never lie
Yes, because why would it lie? What incentive does it have to lie? It is not under the threat of being thrown off by its citizens, it is too powerful for that to happen.
Next thing you'll tell us that there are no gulags in North Korea because Kim Jong Un said so
Well, I see no reason to think life in North Korea is nearly as bad as the western media present it to be.

I'm not even going to dignify your ignorance with a time consuming reply. Utterly waste of time. Your mind is whacked. That is all

Know your place

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2020, 10:54:11 AM »

I'm not even going to dignify your ignorance with a time consuming reply. Utterly waste of time. Your mind is whacked. That is all
I am probably less ignorant than you are, because I have published a few papers in peer-reviewed social science journals.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2020, 11:13:21 AM »

I am probably less ignorant than you are, because I have published a few papers in peer-reviewed social science journals.

You can be good at one thing and bad at another.

Your ignorance here is showing loud and clear, despite whatever papers you published.