Will SpaceX Starship belly flop?

• 19 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« on: December 08, 2020, 08:05:06 AM »
At long last, SpaceX will attempt to launch their SN8 Starship prototype to 50,000 feet or so sometime today (exact launch time TBD).  Will it be able to pull of the "belly flop" reentry maneuver and land safely or will it belly flop itself all the way down to a brand new crater?  Even Elon Musk only gives the test a 1 in 3 chance of success.

Here is a livestream of the event:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:07:38 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Stash

Re: Will SpaceX Starship belly flop?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 08:43:07 AM »
At long last, SpaceX will attempt to launch their SN8 Starship prototype to 50,000 feet or so sometime today (exact launch time TBD).  Will it be able to pull of the "belly flop" reentry maneuver and land safely or will it belly flop itself all the way down to a brand new crater?  Even Elon Musk only gives the test a 1 in 3 chance of success.

Here is a livestream of the event:

Looks like a dicey maneuver:

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 03:08:46 PM »

It did not.

Takes off around 1:48

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 03:12:44 PM »
Belly flop? No. It did land a little harder than they probably wished though!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 03:21:36 PM »

It did not.
Actually it did belly flop just like it was supposed to.  It just didn't stick the landing.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 03:39:50 PM »
When I think of belly flop I think of landing in that position.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 04:09:53 PM »
In this case, the belly flop refers to the horizontal orientation during reentry/descent.

Shifter

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 10:53:20 PM »
What a waste of finite resources

One day, when we actually need it to do something worthwhile there won't be any left because all we did was testing

The rocket looked like a giant penis. Elon Musk boasting about it on full display to the world. Gross.

But seriously, they could have crammed more missions in this. Launch a few satellites or probes to explore Venus. Conduct science experiments. Even put real life people in there to see if the landings survivable. Just put in people already on death row. If they don't survive at least their death had a purpose.

What did we learn? That Elons 1/3 gamble semi paid off? Pfft

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 06:17:33 AM »

One day, when we actually need it to do something worthwhile there won't be any left because all we did was testing

The rocket looked like a giant penis. Elon Musk boasting about it on full display to the world. Gross.

But seriously, they could have crammed more missions in this. Launch a few satellites or probes to explore Venus. Conduct science experiments. Even put real life people in there to see if the landings survivable. Just put in people already on death row. If they don't survive at least their death had a purpose.

This kind of thinking would have led to the US continuing to use the Space Shuttle instead of seeing mankind pioneer the use of reusable rockets. And that's to say nothing of actually looking back to the beginning of the space program and the implications of a "testing is just wasteful" philosophy.

Shifter

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 06:27:19 AM »

This kind of thinking would have led to the US continuing to use the Space Shuttle instead of seeing mankind pioneer the use of reusable rockets. And that's to say nothing of actually looking back to the beginning of the space program and the implications of a "testing is just wasteful" philosophy.

I think we are at a place now where we can do several things in the 1 launch rather than simply launch to 'see if it even works'.

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 06:50:12 AM »

I think we are at a place now where we can do several things in the 1 launch rather than simply launch to 'see if it even works'.
You think they were only testing one thing?

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 07:23:08 AM »
I haven't looked at the progress of Starship yet but SpaceX appears to be absolutely crushing it.

There's so much noise in 2020 that this didn't get the attention it deserves but American rockets are putting astronauts into space again!  Or at the very least American CGI is doing a convincing job at faking it.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Stash

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 12:12:19 PM »
Great shot of the belly flop blast:

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 02:53:45 AM »

WE?!?!?  Do you think you are part of anything?

Can't wait for you to light the fuse on you own shit.Run away and plug your ears!

goofball

Shifter

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 03:03:19 AM »

WE?!?!?  Do you think you are part of anything?

Can't wait for you to light the fuse on you own shit.Run away and plug your ears!

goofball

we = humanity, mankind, etc. duh  ::)

Know your place.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2020, 03:11:35 AM »

Shifter

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2020, 03:28:58 AM »

mankind

:o

person-kind

Short for human. It has nothing to do with gender

In any event, all the achievements humans make, wherever they are and by whoever, is collectively shared by anyone of the human race. Be they Australian, Sentinelese, Swedish or even American.

Know your place.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2020, 03:41:50 AM »

So, a few days ago, I stopped at the 7/11.Shut off my oxygen, grabbed my cane and mask and trudged to the door.Someone held the door for me. I said, "Thank you, sir".

It took a femtosecond for me to realize he was an old girl.

Damage was done. There was no reason to do damage control.Honestly, she should have shaved three weeks ago.    ::)

Shifter

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2020, 03:56:18 AM »

So, a few days ago, I stopped at the 7/11.Shut off my oxygen, grabbed my cane and mask and trudged to the door.Someone held the door for me. I said, "Thank you, sir".

It took a femtosecond for me to realize he was an old girl.

Damage was done. There was no reason to do damage control.Honestly, she should have shaved three weeks ago.    ::)

If she was insulted, it's her problem. Sir may as well be gender neutral anyway. Like 'dudes'. Or 'guys'. In Star Trek, 'Sir' is gender neutral. You're just more progessive than you realise bringing it in early  8)

It also puts her in good company with all the people knighted by the Queen despite her clear unkemptness.

Know your place.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2020, 04:00:35 AM »
I didn't look back.