Flat Earth and the celestial sphere

• 6 Replies
Flat Earth and the celestial sphere
« on: November 29, 2020, 12:47:51 PM »
It is an observable fact that there are two fixed points on the sky around which all the stars appear to rotate.  These points (the celestial poles) are located 180 degrees apart, creating the illusion that the sky is a huge sphere surrounding the Earth.

Polaris is located 40' from the actual point of rotation in the north and so traces out a circle on the sky which is 80' across or just over 2 Moon diameters. Likewise Sigma Octantis, the brightest star nearest to the south celestial pole is located at a distance of 105' or just under 2d from the point of rotation in the south.

In the north the stars rotate around the NCP anticlockwise while in the south they rotate clockwise.  If you visualise the Earth as a sphere with an axis that connects points on the surface that coincide with the NP and SP such that they point almost directly at Polaris and Sigma Octantis respectively this can account for what we observe directly.

How can this be replicated if you model the Earth as flat. In which case there can be no point of rotation in the south because the south 'pole' becomes the circumference of a circle and not a point. That means the south celestial 'pole' would also be a large circle and not a point of rotation.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:51:42 PM by Solarwind »

Re: Flat Earth and the celestial sphere
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 05:50:46 AM »
Yes I know the GUT (theory of 'everything') remains elusive but if you put RE and FE alongside each other and then ask someone of unbiased mind to make a judgement as to which one explains best what we see happening in the sky, which one are they likely to choose?

scientists who are no flat earther

Are there any real scientists who are then?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 06:50:15 AM by Solarwind »

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 07:13:43 AM »
For anyone having a hard time following what appears to be a double-post, there was a post from a spambot between those posts that is now deleted. The content of the missing post (sans link) is below.

I am writing my dissertation and can tell, from all the materials collected, scientists who are no flat earther claims to have everything figured out as much as the globe proponents would like you to believe, there isn't any current flat earth model that explains everything. However, we go from what we know, to what we don't know, and the best place to start is trying to find the curve.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 08:13:31 AM »
If this has been asked before about the SCP it is probably because a clear answer from FE wasn't provided the first time round.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 01:30:51 AM »
Extend the Earth's poles and equator onto the sky and you have defined the celestial poles and celestial equator.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 06:11:54 AM by Space Cowgirl »

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 03:38:50 AM »
Yes that's exactly as I understand it to be.  Equatorial mounts work in both hemispheres by aiming the polar axis of the mount at the respective celestial pole for the hemisphere you are in.

The question is...  how does this all work in flat Earth land?  Without introducing some pretty extreme light bending tricks?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 06:12:44 AM »
That was a sneaky spambot. I banned it and edited the link out of its post.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.