space balloon test near the south pole?

• 33 Replies
space balloon test near the south pole?
« on: November 23, 2020, 06:23:53 PM »
Hello there
Has anyone tried sending space balloon at or near the south pole to prove the shape of the earth? can communicate with a camera and wifi transmitter and view the ascent image online.

With this method, what is beyond the south pole and the shape of the earth is defined.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: space balloon test near the south pole?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 06:29:42 PM »
Yeah, we've all been to the south pole lots of times.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 10:30:14 PM »
Cool idea.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 02:45:03 AM »
is someone can fly space balloon with the camera? And share video here? I find only one video on youtube but there is no camera view.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 03:05:48 AM »

Penguin!
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 04:15:57 AM »
is someone can fly space balloon with the camera?

Perhaps collect a bunch of old cell phones, configure them into a large ad hoc network then launch them with helium balloons.  The cell phones can capture video and send it back to the ship.   

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 03:23:37 PM »
Hello there
Has anyone tried sending space balloon at or near the south pole to prove the shape of the earth? can communicate with a camera and wifi transmitter and view the ascent image online.

With this method, what is beyond the south pole and the shape of the earth is defined.

In what way, do you imagine, would this prove the shape of the earth?
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 03:54:18 AM »
I am not sure. But may be new continents. Or end of the world.

Hello there

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 01:08:05 PM »
Quote from: liste
I am not sure

That's probably why none has "tried sending space balloon at or near the south pole to prove the shape of the earth".
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 10:21:06 AM »
Quote from: liste
I am not sure

That's probably why none has "tried sending space balloon at or near the south pole to prove the shape of the earth".

Because flat earths apparently have no interest in either testing their ideas or in finding any of the wonders that would still lie undiscovered if they were right?  At least undiscovered as far as majority of the population is concerned.

New continents!  The actual end of the world!  Wouldn’t it be amazing to discover whatever lies beyond our maps? 

Or just play with P900s on YouTube and complain that NASA are naughty liars, I guess?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 11:35:26 AM »
What's stopping you from launching a space balloon from the south pole, unconvinced?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 01:15:21 PM »
What's stopping you from launching a space balloon from the south pole, unconvinced?

Nothing, except for the fact that I don’t expect to find anything that hasn’t been discovered, mapped, studied and made public by a great many people more qualified than myself to do so.  Bit of a waste of time, effort and money from my perspective.

However, if I thought there was a chance of huge new discoveries to be made on account everything we’ve been lead to believe being false, then I’d be all over it. 

Christopher Columbus?  Captain Cook?  Ha!  They’d have nothing on me.  My statue would be so tall as to be an affront to God!

But only if I believed the Earth was Flat.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 03:38:02 PM »
Quote from: unconvinced
Because flat earths apparently have no interest in either testing their ideas
I just asked how such a balloon would test such an idea and the response was "I don't know".  Sounds like it wouldn't be a very good test if we don't know how it tests a premise...

My statue would be so tall as to be an affront to God!
Well, to be kind, different things motivate different people...

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 01:05:24 AM »
Because flat earths apparently have no interest in either testing their ideas
I just asked how such a balloon would test such an idea and the response was "I don't know".  Sounds like it wouldn't be a very good test if we don't know how it tests a premise...

You ignored the part about possibly finding an edge of the earth or new lands.

Clearly if you were doing this to test a premise, you’d need to actually decide on a premise to test.  An edge, a dome, an infinite plane, a giant space turtle or whatever? 

Pick one and try to find ways to see if it’s right.  Or don’t pick one and just gather data that could help narrow down the options.  If you don’t think the high altitude balloon idea is a good idea, then suggest something better.

My statue would be so tall as to be an affront to God!
Well, to be kind, different things motivate different people...

What could motivate flat earthers to put any effort in whatsoever?  The lack of curiosity about their own ideas is astounding.  Don’t they want to know anything about the world they say we live on?  Although to be fair, I’m still not sure that real flat earthers actually exist.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 10:39:05 AM »
I am not of the mind that one would see an edge from "near the south pole".  One might possibly see other land beyond it, which you would then say looks remarkably like the "Antarctic" you expect to see.
I am not sure why I would undertake the time and expense involved on an experiment that I do not think would bear fruit. It's pretty simple.

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
I am not of the mind that one would see an edge from "near the south pole".  One might possibly see other land beyond it, which you would then say looks remarkably like the "Antarctic" you expect to see.
I am not sure why I would undertake the time and expense involved on an experiment that I do not think would bear fruit. It's pretty simple.

So you’re saying that you genuinely believe the earth is flat, you believe there is uncharted land beyond our maps that the world has no idea even exists (aside from a handful of elites in on the conspiracy, perhaps?).  Yet you have no interest in seeing what’s there? 

It doesn’t “bare fruit” for you because randoms on forums might say it looks like some other land? 

Wow.  I guess you were right about people’s motivations.  Why bother seeing a whole unexplored part of the world if it doesn’t win arguments on the internet?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 03:11:23 PM »

It doesn’t “bare fruit” for you because randoms on forums might say it looks like some other land? 

Are you unfamiliar with the term "bears fruit" or something? How would something "bare fruit"? It doesn't make a lick of sense.  You put the same intellectual effort into understanding others that you do understanding idioms, I suppose.

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 05:53:31 PM »

Are you unfamiliar with the term "bears fruit" or something? How would something "bare fruit"? It doesn't make a lick of sense.  You put the same intellectual effort into understanding others that you do understanding idioms, I suppose.

So you think that hundreds of years of sciences is all wrong, the whole world is being lied to (or everyone is just somehow massively mistaken).  You have some ideas of what the world might actually be like, but you don’t know.   Apparently nobody who’s onto “the truth” knows, and nobody seems bothered about finding out, or even narrowing down the list of contradictory “models”...

But if you’d rather talk about my lack of intellectual effort because of a typo?

I am trying to understand others, that’s why I’m joined in the first place.  Now’s your chance to explain how you can care so little about the thing you claim to believe in. 

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 11:03:59 PM »
Hello there

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 12:34:04 AM »
I read that earlier, thanks. 

We’ve moved on a bit since then.  Nothing else to add?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
To this day I still don't understand why Flat Earthers are so completely disinterested in exploring and discovering all the incredible things they know are out there.

I'd find the idea of uncharted lands only a plane flight away irresistible. But no flat earther seems even slightly interested in simply going there to prove to the world that everyone is wrong.

I just can't fathom the lack of motivation.

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »
To this day I still don't understand why Flat Earthers are so completely disinterested in exploring and discovering all the incredible things they know are out there.

I'd find the idea of uncharted lands only a plane flight away irresistible. But no flat earther seems even slightly interested in simply going there to prove to the world that everyone is wrong.

I just can't fathom the lack of motivation.
Flat Earthers do not want to explore the icewall/Antarctica.  It would prove to them concretely that they are wrong.  Curiosity is fundamental to human nature.  There is no way that an unexplored continent that is a relatively easy plane flight away would be left alone.  Think of how we push the limits (with great difficulty) in ocean exploration.  And, how in the real world Antarctica itself is being explored. 
I do have a question of Flat Earthers on this topic.  Does the icewall meet up with the dome?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »

I'd find the idea of uncharted lands only a plane flight away irresistible.

question
Quote from: stankann
There is no way that an unexplored continent that is a relatively easy plane flight away would be left alone. 

That sounds inexpensive and fruitful.

"Hi, Chilean Air Rentals?  Yes, I'd like to lease a plane... To fly past the south pole... Si... A licence? No problemo... Oh, sure. A large deposit? Por supuesto...  No, no. Actually, I want to fly past Antarctica and discover new land. Si, nueva tierra ... Hello? Hello?  ....  We must have gotten disconnected "

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 11:54:24 AM »

question
There is no way that an unexplored continent that is a relatively easy plane flight away would be left alone. 

"Hi, Chilean Air Rentals?  Yes, I'd like to lease a plane... To fly past the south pole... Si... A licence? No problemo... Oh, sure. A large deposit? Por supuesto...  No, no. Actually, I want to fly past Antarctica and discover new land. Si, nueva tierra ... Hello? Hello?  ....  We must have gotten disconnected "

Maybe you wouldn't do it, but so many people would if there were any validity to your claims of an icewall.  You would not have to fly past the icewall, just near it and document its existence.  It would be one of the great "discoveries" of all time.  The people involved would be famous and rich.  If I really believed that there was an icewall, I would personally work tirelessly to prove it.  It does not exist, and I think that Flat Earthers know this, and know that instead of making a great new discovery, they would just be finding a continent that was discovered a long time ago.

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 12:01:44 PM »
Here are some trips you can take to Antarctica in the real world.

https://www.adventure-life.com/antarctica

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »
If I really believed that there was an icewall, I would personally work tirelessly to prove it. 

I do not think such an ice wall would be visible from "the south pole" or it would have been seen already. I tend to think there is an ice wall, but do not believe such a trip as suggested would prove it.

"If you really believed x, you would do y to prove it!"

"How would y prove x? "

"I don't know. But you should do it"

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2020, 01:04:28 PM »
If I really believed that there was an icewall, I would personally work tirelessly to prove it. 

I do not think such an ice wall would be visible from "the south pole" or it would have been seen already. I tend to think there is an ice wall, but do not believe such a trip as suggested would prove it.

"How would y prove x? "

Why would I do it?  I have no desire to go to Antarctica.  I have no belief that there is anything else there besides what people who have been there said was there.  If someone believes there is an icewall, it could be easily proven through photography.    Yes, if I believed there was an icewall (x), I would arrange a flight (y) to prove it by photography and live satellite feeds to the world, documenting the incredible event.

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2020, 01:49:34 PM »

"How would y prove x? "

How you would prove x is the real question.  And why aren’t you doing it, or at least talking about ways others might do it?

You’re just rubbishing other people’s suggestions.

You “tend to think” the ice wall might be elsewhere, then where?  What do you imagine is stopping someone getting there, or getting a view of it?

Why do you appear to have absolutely zero interest in this?  Except for the obvious conclusion that you’re not actually a flat earther, of course?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2020, 04:21:25 PM »
And why aren’t you doing it
Antarctica is far away and inhospitable. In addition to considerable cost, there is a pretty high likelihood of death if I decide to trek across Antarctica in search of something like an edge or ice wall which may or may not exist at all or exist where you keep assuming for some reason it exists.

Quote from: ski

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2020, 04:46:18 PM »

question

If humanity gave up every challenge because they had to fill out some extra paperwork, where would we be?  Sounds like a pretty bad excuse to me.

People spend years training and saving to climb mountains a thousand other people already scaled.  Humans do all kinds of hard, expensive things.

Most humans are intensely curious, I don't know why Flat Earther's aren't.  I can assure you that if I thought taking a 6,000 mile flight was all it took to discover a completely new world, I'd be doing it.  I take trips that long several times a year.

Again, I can't fathom why someone would think actually exploring this endless expanse of pristine land would be pointless.

How much money could the FE movement raise? Far more than enough if they wanted. You can afford $20k gyros after all. :)