Next Gen Consoles

• 30 Replies

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
Next Gen Consoles
« on: November 10, 2020, 08:47:42 PM »
There's a lot of hype around the Xbox Series X and the PS5. I mean, there's always hype around new consoles, so that's nothing new. But there are some big leaps that are being realized with respect to speed and implementing some cool new things from the graphics standpoint like putting ray tracing into a console. This thread is to discuss all things about the latest console generation. Experiences, hot takes, memes, best games to showcase what's cool about them, epic fails that wanted to be in the best game list but just sucked at it, all of those things and more.

Through a fortunate series of events, I landed the new Xbox today. My experience so far: Great at times, not perfect. I should also note, this was upgrading from the Xbox One S, not the One X, so I didn't have 4k gaming until now.

The system itself is super easy to get set up. It's an Xbox. Not really any different than the Xbox One. But the boot time is insanely fast and the interface is pretty snappy.

First game tried: Assassin's Creed Valhalla. It's launch day, there are still some kinks to work out. When the game says it's ready to launch, it very much is not ready to launch. It'll crash partway through the video intro after you choose all your difficulty settings. Just wait for it to be done (or almost done) installing the whole thing. After that, it's pretty good so far. Very fun. It'll get smoother over the next couple patches, I'm sure.

Second game: Watch Dogs Legion. Looks gorgeous for the 10 minutes you can play before it crashes. I think this could be the game yet that best showcases the graphical improvements the console can do. They need to fix it so it doesn't crash all the time.

Third game: Witcher 3. Really REALLY benefits from the 60fps and ray tracing. Looks fucking fantastic, plays the same as always, can't wait to play more of this one. And they are putting out a Series X Optimized version next year, so more good things to come.

Not sure yet if I'll luck out in a similar fashion with the new Playstation. Here's hoping.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Re: Next Gen Consoles
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:21:47 PM »
I have the Xbox One X. I've seen some speed comparisons to the latest version (like loading times). It's impressive, but I wonder how much of that is due to the newer one having an SSD hard drive (to which I bought for mine anyway)

They seem to hold their value quite well. If you buy the console on a Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale, it's pretty much as cheap as you'll find it for years (judging by the one I have). Seems silly to buy any tech right now close to these sales. Just have to hope they are available / in stock and you don't have to fight the crowds like in that South Park episode lol

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 09:50:11 PM »
The way Zen 2 architecture works, I think there are bound to be some speed improvements above and beyond just the standard SSD boost. Like all things, time will tell, it's on the developers to actually make the most of it. There's not really anything that's been designed for the Series X specifically yet without needing to have to consider making it backwards compatible to the Xbox One, so a lot is going to change as time goes on. I happened to have a good amount of Amazon gift cards sitting on my account on the prerelease day and, as luck would have it, the site actually loaded for me and allowed me to place an order. So, like I said, just sort of a fortunate series of events, otherwise I'd have just waited. But honestly, it's the first console I've ever gotten on a release day, so that was neat.

For some reason, I'm really excited for Microsoft Flight Simulator to make it into the console version of Game Pass. It might not be a super intense, adrenaline pumping shooter or whatever, but it looks pretty and seems like it could be a nice relaxing way to unwind at the end of a day.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 10:42:56 PM »
#PCMASTERRACE!

I am interested in Microsoft Flight Simulator though.  I just got an Oculus Quest 2.  It's impressive for $300.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 10:05:43 AM »
#PCMASTERRACE!
HOW DARE YOU MICROAGRESS ME IN SUCH A WAY!

There's really no doubt that you can have the best experience in terms of graphics and frame rates on a PC, I won't knock that, it's awesome. There's too much to manage for me though, it's overwhelming. I didn't play video games from basically the time the first Xbox was on its way out until well into the Xbox One's lifespan. I can't handle managing the mouse and keyboard to play games, it breaks my fragile mind. The controller is easy, and safe, and comforting, and lets me just continue sitting in front of my TV whether I'm watching Netflix or axing people in the face. Plus, I have a feeling if I were to take that dive, I'd go overboard and be constantly chasing the next new processor and graphics card.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 12:14:02 PM »
Plus, I have a feeling if I were to take that dive, I'd go overboard and be constantly chasing the next new processor and graphics card.
I believe that you're referring to LAGS (Latest And Greatest Syndrome).  It's a quite common condition, especially in the consumer electronics sector.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 01:30:41 PM »
#PCMASTERRACE!

I am interested in Microsoft Flight Simulator though.  I just got an Oculus Quest 2.  It's impressive for $300.

Is there any word when MS Flt Sim is coming to Xbox X/S? I haven't been able to find anything. I really want it just for that being I'm a Mac boy as far as PC's go.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »
I wasn't aware that was even in the road map.  Seems like it wouldn't be a lot of fun to play it without a hotas setup.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »
I wasn't aware that was even in the road map.  Seems like it wouldn't be a lot of fun to play it without a hotas setup.

I read some rumors a while back that it was on the roadmap. Maybe I just need a super simple set up like this:

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 03:36:44 PM »
I also saw some rumors before that it was coming to the X|S consoles because they would be able to handle it whereas the Xbox One systems couldn't.

Apparently there's been "a leak" about it being a year one release in the past few days as well, so take that with a healthy dose of skepticism.
https://realsport101.com/flight-simulator/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-xbox-series-x-s-release-date-leak-next-gen-release-date/

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 09:56:27 AM »
Boydster, I have an xbox one but I have no idea what version, in fact I didn't even know there were versions! It is now mostly used for streaming services and the occasional game when I feel like it.
With the new xbox would I be able to play games with those that have the new one? Was there a Halo launch with this box? I

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 10:24:59 AM »
Boydster, I have an xbox one but I have no idea what version, in fact I didn't even know there were versions! It is now mostly used for streaming services and the occasional game when I feel like it.
With the new xbox would I be able to play games with those that have the new one? Was there a Halo launch with this box? I
So the Xbox is basically my family's entertainment center as well, and as far as I can tell so far, the new one works identically to the One in terms of access to streaming apps. In terms of cross-play between the Xbox One and the Xbox Series systems, so far that still works. It probably helps that Microsoft doesn't have any next gen exclusive games, so if you're playing Destiny 2 with someone, on Xbox One that just got a new Series X, you can still play together.

The Halo question is a big deal to some folks right now. There was supposed to be a new Halo game released alongside the console. But it got delayed and now it's supposed to be released "in 2021" which gives Microsoft a pretty wide window to finish the game and bring it to market. I can't say I'm terribly upset at it being delayed, but I do have some sympathy for people that were really looking forward to it after all the hype it got, only to be disappointed with a delay.

The PS5 is something worth discussing for a second, too. Holy shit, that thing is next to impossible to get. That is, unless you are a bot and/or willing to pay the people that have the bots 3x the retail price for the system. I think it's the same for the Xbox right now too, but I have one so I'm not experiencing the difficulty with that. I've tried to buy the PS5 several times over the last week. It's impossible. Anyone who promised their kids one of those for Christmas had better start making plans to abandon their family right now.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 09:37:59 PM »
Thank you for that explanation Boydster. I thought there was a release, but then I didn't hear enough about it from all the people I know who are Halo fans, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

I do not own any other gaming console.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 09:58:40 PM »
Sony Playstation has named their consoles properly. Each new generation a new number. Same can't be said about the naming of their phones though lol

Xbox naming is dumb. XBox, XBox 360, XBox 360 S, XBox 360 E, XBox One, XBox One S, XBox One X, XBox Series X

Dumb

I got the XBox One X over the PS4 only because it had the capability to play 4K blu rays.

Apart from that, I think the Playstation is better. Certainly the PS exclusive games are better

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 06:54:19 AM »
I haven't kept up on consoles for a while so this may seem like a silly question, but are any of the newer ones useful without an internet connection or some sort of subscription?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 08:52:13 AM »
I think you can get away with having no subscription.

The internet connection is a different story since all the games developers ship first and patch later.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 09:17:45 AM »
I think you can get away with having no subscription.

The internet connection is a different story since all the games developers ship first and patch later.

On my XBox the subscription to 'Gold' more than pays itself back on the discounted and free games you can get with it. (note that any game you got for free requires you to still be subscribed to Gold). The subscription you pay per month that lets you play games for free is ok.... But I find there are so many codes and offers that let you do it for a token $1 or $2 it's better to not have your subs auto renew.

Know your place

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
Can't say for sure on the PS5 about the required internet connection, but on the Xbox you absolutely need an internet connection for the initial setup. That's to say nothing of the fact that games are getting patches pretty regularly and, like Crouton mentioned, some are basically unplayable when you get the disc unless you get that Day 1 patch these developers seem to need for every game now.

As far a subscriptions go, Game Pass is now getting all of Microsoft's first party games the day they are released. So for your subscription (which you don't need to have), you are able to play all of those games without having to purchase them. Which also means you don't have buyer's remorse if one of them ends up sucking. And it also includes EA's subscription service at no extra cost now, so if you're into their games that is a big plus. Game Pass Ultimate comes with their Live Gold service too, which like Shifter said, comes with free games every month and discounts, and also you need it to play in the big multiplayer games but it's not strictly required just to play most games.

One of these days I'll land a PS5. Probably not for a few months though, which is fine because that'll give Sony a chance to work out some of the bugs people are experiencing and maybe even release a updated model with a bigger SSD that makes sense.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 01:03:16 PM »
Bloody hell. Been reading up on these ray tracing GPU's and that really is some next level visuals right there!

I might be able to trade in my One X to a game store for the series X cutting the cost down a few hundred

Saw on YouTube an example of the game 'Man Eater'. There's no ray tracing support on that game yet (apparantly will be) but the difference between the One X and series X blows me away. The One X looked good until I saw the series X. Now the One X looks dull lol
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 02:15:35 PM by Shifter »

Know your place

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 09:33:38 AM »
Bloody hell. Been reading up on these ray tracing GPU's and that really is some next level visuals right there!

I might be able to trade in my One X to a game store for the series X cutting the cost down a few hundred

Saw on YouTube an example of the game 'Man Eater'. There's no ray tracing support on that game yet (apparantly will be) but the difference between the One X and series X blows me away. The One X looked good until I saw the series X. Now the One X looks dull lol
There is still some work to be done on optimizing games to take full advantage of everything these new consoles can do, so don't cave into the scalpers to get an overpriced system!

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 11:59:36 AM »
I've been out of the console world for a while. Have a 360 and a PS2 that I haven't fired up in ages. Being a Mac boy, I'm seriously jonesin' for some gaming capabilities. What's the consensus, MS or Sony for a new console?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 12:33:07 PM »
I've been out of the console world for a while. Have a 360 and a PS2 that I haven't fired up in ages. Being a Mac boy, I'm seriously jonesin' for some gaming capabilities. What's the consensus, MS or Sony for a new console?

Go Sony if you want better exclusive games

I'm only going Xbox because I have like 180 games already for it that are backward compatible

Any difference in graphics quality between the 2 require a study of a freeze frame side by side comparison it's that negligible.

There is still some work to be done on optimizing games to take full advantage of everything these new consoles can do, so don't cave into the scalpers to get an overpriced system!

Yeah it might be a few months yet before I can do it. Won't buy privately, will wait for a games store to have stock. Looking at the prices it doesn't seem like these consoles depreciate much but given my One X is now yesterday's news might as well maximise the coin I can get for it

Know your place

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 12:43:05 PM »
looks at my original XBOX

Wow, I care so much.
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 06:03:18 PM »

Wow, I care so much.

I still have my gamecube! lol
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2020, 08:00:28 PM »

Wow, I care so much.

My order of consoles went

Atari 2600, Sega Megadrive 2, Playstation 1, XBox One X

Know your place

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 06:46:21 AM »

Wow, I care so much.

My order of consoles went

Atari 2600, Sega Megadrive 2, Playstation 1, XBox One X
Mine was NES, Sega Genesis, Playstation, GameCube, Xbox, [-------- 15 year gap --------],  Raspberry Pi running RetroPie, Xbox One S, Switch, and now the Series X

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 08:12:42 AM »
I had an Atari, then nothing for a long time, then a gamecube, Nintendo Wii, and a ps3. I was a PC gamer for a short time, but lightning zapped my computer and I never got another one with good graphics card.

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2020, 09:35:50 AM »
I had a 2600, several of them actually.  They really should have made them waterproof.

Then a Sega Master System instead of an NES which probably set me down the path of being a misfit.  Got an NES eventually but I always thought of it like a red headed step child.

Then a Genesis!  Holy Shit!  16 bit graphics!

Also a SNES that I liked because it wasn't total junk like the NES was.

Then a Dreamcast!  Because it's thinking!  No Playstation for a while because fuck you Playstation, you killed the Dreamcast!  But the Playstation gave me Symphony of the Night which is one of the best games ever so we're cool now.

Xbox1, 360, ps1,2,3.  Wife got me a ps4 but I rarely play games on it.

Now it's been mostly PC games for the last decade or so.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 12:22:35 AM »
Looked into the retropi.  That's a pretty cool device.

I'm now training my kids to use karate through Streets of Rage.

They are so bad at it.  Starting to suspect that Mrs. Crouton might be cheating on me.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 01:29:40 AM »
Sold my XBox One X today for $300. Thought I would be without a console for a few weeks waiting for stock on the Series X but figured 'what the hell, I'll check out the game store'. Waiting for the 'we don't have any stock at the moment' (and not even go out and check) but this guy did check and  THEY DID HAVE ONE!

$749 later (minus the $300 I got) I now have it! Awesome 8)

Know your place